Scoop

Oprah Winfrey explains why she never got Married & opens up about Depression in New Interview

In her latest shoot for the September 2017 issue of Vogue Magazine, Oprah Winfrey revealed the reason she never wanted to get married to her boyfriend of 31 years, Stedman Graham.

The 63-year-old talk show host said:

Nobody believes it, but it’s true, The only time I brought it up was when I said to Stedman, ‘What would have happened if we had actually gotten married?’ And the answer is: ‘We wouldn’t be together.’ We would not have stayed together because marriage requires a different way of being in this world. His interpretation of what it means to be a husband and what it would mean for me to be a wife would have been pretty traditional, and I would not have been able to fit into that. Live life on your own terms.

She also spoke to the magazine about the day her movie Beloved; a 1998 American horror drama opened and got beat by Chucky, saying that she became depressed.

I shall never forget Saturday morning, October 17,I got a call from someone at the studio, and they said, ‘It’s over. You got beat by Chucky.’ And I said, ‘Who’s Chucky? What do you mean it’s over? It’s just Saturday morning!’ I knew nothing about box-office projections or weekend openings. It was ten o’clock in the morning, and I said to Art, “I would like macaroni and cheese for breakfast.” And soooo began my long plunge into food and depression and suppressing all my feelings.”

I actually started to think, Maybe I really am depressed. Because it’s more than ‘I feel bad about this.’ I felt like I was behind a veil. I felt like what many people had described over the years on my show, and I could never imagine it. What’s depression? Why don’t you just pick yourself up?”

According to her, the very public failure taught her how to detach:

It taught me to never again—never again, ever—put all of your hopes, expectations, eggs in the basket of box office. Do the work as an offering, and then whatever happens, happens.

1. B.E.T. Proudly Nigerian

August 15, 2017 at 11:54 am

I love this woman!

2. ladyromford

August 15, 2017 at 11:57 am

Wow who would’ve thought

3. ec

August 15, 2017 at 12:27 pm

she has explained all of this before now. especially on her show

4. Tosin

August 15, 2017 at 12:38 pm

“Do the work as an offering, and then whatever happens…”

• Nene

August 15, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Best way to live life!

• Jay

August 15, 2017 at 1:21 pm

It’s admirable but easier said than done

• Xx

August 16, 2017 at 1:59 pm

One of the best quotes / words I have heard

5. myname

August 15, 2017 at 2:22 pm

i just hope readers are matured enough to chat their individual courses in life. She did not marry does not mean you should not.

Its a very lonely road. nobody tells you that but i tell you for free.

• HumanBot

August 15, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Being alone or single does not necessarily mean loneliness. Loneliness is a choice. It can happen even with a spouse and children. As someone mentioned, the best way to live your life is on your own terms. Hopefully, those terms bring you contentment.

6. Diamond

August 15, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Permit me to get all Christian. I don’t have a problem with her decision not to marry. But from a religious perspective, it is wrong to continue living in sin with a man as she has no intention to marry. What about her fate if she dies in this sin?

• Curious

August 16, 2017 at 12:50 pm

You are not permitted! Marry if you want and worry about your own soul! Stop policing other people’s lives!!!!!!

7. No Headaches Please

August 15, 2017 at 5:46 pm

“Live life on your own terms.”
    It’s the only way worth living.

8. Diamond

August 16, 2017 at 6:47 am

BN where is my comment here? I didn’t insult nobody.. just my opinion, so why wasn’t it approved. Or are you people encouraging more women (men) to emulate Oprah by not marrying, but continue living with a man.

What exactly is your mission (agenda) BN? The owner of this blog is married, so what doctrine are you preaching to undiscerning women to confuse them. What exactly is your point (intention) withholding my comment?

If you like don’t post this comment, you read it that’s all that matters.

• Curious

August 16, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Shebi they have posted the comment, has your blood come down now? Na wa oh! Whenever una don post rubbish yarns, una go siddon post for here waiting to see if it’s posted or not because you know sey you don yarn opata full for ground….mtchewwwwww!

9. Oprah Winfrey

August 16, 2017 at 8:22 am

I have seen a lot of lonely husbands, wives, children (with many siblings). Marriage is the legal cure for sexual urges, (that is, if you have a spouse ready to respond to those urges). Loving yourself enough to eliminate the toxic people and situations around you and attracting the right kind of people in our life is the cure for loneliness.