News

Trump meets with Buhari, other African Leaders

NAN

U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday hosted President Muhammadu Buhari and other African leaders to a working lunch on the sidelines of the 72nd UN General Assembly in New York.

Trump, who said he was greatly honored to host the lunch, which took place at the New York Palace Hotel, described African leaders as “partners for promoting prosperity and peace.

“I’m greatly honored to be joined by leaders of Nigeria, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Namibia, Senegal, Uganda and South Africa. In particular, I want to thank President Condé, who is representing the African Union,” he said.

“In this room, I see partners for promoting prosperity and peace on a range of economic, humanitarian and security issues.

“We hope to extend our economic partnerships with countries who are committed to self-reliance and to fostering opportunities for job creation in both Africa and the United States.

“Africa has tremendous business potential. I have so many friends going to your countries, trying to get rich. I congratulate you.

“They’re spending a lot of money. But it does – it has tremendous business potential and representing huge amounts of different markets. And for American firms it’s really become a place that they have to go – that they want to go.

“Six of the world’s ten fastest-growing economies are in Africa. Increasing American trade and investment across diverse industries – including agriculture, energy, transportation, healthcare, travel, and tourism – will further transform lives throughout the continent.”

He said “Africa, I have to say, is a continent of tremendous potential. The outlook is bright. I look forward to hearing from you and your advice during the meal.”

The U.S. leader said he was eager to closely know more African leaders! noting that “I really want to congratulate you – growing very fast economically and in every other way. You’ve done a terrific job, you’ve had some tremendous obstacles placed in your path, but you have done really an absolutely incredible job.”

Trump pledged that the U.S. would partner with African countries and organizations, like the African Union, leading successful efforts to end violence to prevent the spread of terrorism, and to respond to humanitarian crises.

“I commend your troops currently serving in the field. Very brave. Very, very brave what they’re going through. But we cannot have prosperity if we’re not healthy.

“We will continue our partnership on critical health initiatives. Uganda has made incredible strides in the battle against HIV/AIDS. In Guinea and Nigeria, you fought a horrifying Ebola outbreak.

“Namibia’s health system is increasingly self-sufficient. My Secretary of Health and Human Services will be traveling to Africa to promote our Global Health Security Agenda.”

The U.S. leader, however, regretted that too many people were suffering from conflict in Africa, pointing out the Central African Republic, the Congo, Libya, Mali, Somalia and South Sudan, among others, “were going through dangerous times.”

He noted that terrorist groups, such as ISIS, al-Shabaab, Boko Haram, and al Qaeda threaten African peace, adding that the U.S. was proud to work with African leaders toward eradicating terrorist safe havens, to cut off their finances, and to discredit their depraved ideology.

“And a number of you have told me – actually, last night – that we’ve been doing a very good job over the last six or seven months in particular,” he said.

Trump said the U.S. was closely monitoring and deeply disturbed by ongoing violence in South Sudan and in the Congo, adding that U.S. had continued to provide humanitarian assistance but real results in halting the conflicts would require an African-led peace process and sincere commitment of all parties involved.

“And I know you’re working on that, and you’re working on that very hard to assist in these efforts, I’m sending Ambassador Nikki Haley to Africa to discuss avenues of conflict and resolution and most importantly, prevention”.

Trump, at the dinner attended by Minister of Foreign Affairs Geoffrey Onyeama and the Permanent Representative to the UN, Tijjani Bande, also discussed Africa-U.S. partnership against the nuclear weapons threat from North Korea, describing it “a global challenge.

“Today, the world faces enormous security threat from North Korea. We must all stand together and be accountable in implementing UN sanctions and resolutions in response to North Korea’s hostile and menacing actions.

“We believe that a free, independent and democratic nation, in all cases, is the best vehicle for human happiness and success. Thank you for joining me for this critical discussion about challenges and opportunities in our nations”, Trump said.

See photos from the meeting:

Trump meets with Buhari, other African Leaders - BellaNaija Trump meets with Buhari, other African Leaders - BellaNaija Trump meets with Buhari, other African Leaders - BellaNaija Trump meets with Buhari, other African Leaders - BellaNaija

1. Osa

September 21, 2017 at 4:49 am

I heard someone gave a ‘not-very-bright-sounding’ talk at the UN. What would a clueless someborri have discussed in conversation with Mr. Trump?

• Mbe

September 21, 2017 at 5:32 am

Does Buhari even understand what trump is saying. Nonsense.

• CovertNigerian

September 21, 2017 at 9:09 am

If we agree that PMB is clueless, what does the equally or even more clueless Trump have to contribute to a conversation? I don’t understand your apparent willingness to elevate Trump to the level of intellectual superior in this scenario.

Your comment and that of Mbe seem self deprecating and I can’t understand why you’d feel that way in a Buhari/Trump scenario. Either of you please explain or disagree.

• ***

September 21, 2017 at 9:49 am

Come off it @covertnigerian! At least trump is expressive, he may be abrupt and insensitive most of the time but he certainly has opinions which in deep consideration are not totally invalid but maybe inappropriately said … pmb is not only obtuse, he is sluggish and always appears disinclined to speak … pmb will probably not show up to a debate lol … at least trump was able to influence people without ‘logic’ lol this man beat deeply intellectual clinton and obama o he may not have won the popular vote but he secured the important votes … the oval office is like a college, the occupant is briefed about almost anything that goes on in america and all over the world … go through that for 7 months and see yourself more knowledgeable than einstein lol

• CovertNigerian

September 21, 2017 at 10:18 am

@*** – your logic is clear and at least I can see a flow to it even if I don’t agree with all of it. Maybe my problem is with the way the other fellows expressed their thoughts.

Trump is unintelligent and unaware of the extent of his ignorance. At least during the transition, Trump repeatedly refused to attend intelligence briefings, choosing instead to delegate that to his vice. Since he assumed office, there have been numerous reports on how his aides have to make his briefings interesting so that it doesn’t get tossed aside because of his short attention span. So, I’m willing to wager that he’s still largely unaware. Being expressive and having something useful to say are very different things.

I don’t think PMB is the brightest bulb in the room, but I’ve seen him interviewed on and even though he’s not always the most tactful or self aware public speaker, I think he rises to the occasion when he wants to. Long story short, as long as it’s a conversation with the Trump we see publicly, I need some more convincing that Buhari can’t hold his own in a conversation.

• ***

September 21, 2017 at 11:10 am

@covertnigerian lol what can I say?! You make solid points but I wish you could separate trump’s very evident substantial lack in presidential courtesies from his thought process … yes the man is ignorant about public relationship and diplomacy but take a close unbiased look at his potential executive orders; DACA, paris climate agreement, iran nuclear deal, TPP etc with respect to american taxpayers and the incommensurate benefits they get … trump lacks the ability to express himself as an adult and a leader but one of his few good attributes lol I put on a pedestal is his lack of obsequity; he doesn’t attempt to please unnecessarily
      Traditionally, VPOTUS is in charge of CIA, FBI and other intelligence gathering agencies in america, maybe he wanted him to have some responsibility… of course the president is boss but some of these things are handled by the v.p unless desperate and grave situations come up … I think the ‘make the briefing interesting’ part is ‘fake news’ lol sounds ridiculous, I know the trumps are spoiled airheads but they manage to keep their shit together business-wise … trump is just misunderstood … pmb’s personality is disinterestedly enigmatic; no presence NOBODY cares about knowing him … he doesn’t stand out in anyway, positive or negative … his deadpan expressions are not attractive … I’d rather have a ridiculous contentious conversation with trump than an impassive obstinate recluse

• ozyy

September 21, 2017 at 12:14 pm

@ *** you are the kind of person my dad would like to hold a diplomatic conversation with. I like your vocabulary use…nicee

• CovertNigerian

September 21, 2017 at 12:18 pm

@*** – we’re digressing from my original issue – PMB’s ability to carry on a conversation with Trump. And whatever PMB’s shortcomings, when it comes to the issues that a Nigerian and American president are likely to be discussing, I see no reason to believe that PMB can’t handle himself. Quite frankly, because it matters more to him than Trump, PMB is likely to be more aware of the particulars.

Perhaps some other time we can have an exchange about Trump. I suspect we’ll disagree on a lot but it should be interesting.

• ***

September 21, 2017 at 12:57 pm

@ozzy thank you very much, it would be such an honor to have that conversation plus I like to listen to opinions of people of the older generation lol I assume you are a millenial … your words really uplifted me
      @covertnigerian I certainly don’t disregard your views but I think trump would make a better conversationist if you ignore his manners … we could also discuss why you choose to be a ‘covertnigerian’ on our next exchange lol … it was nice learning from you

• ozyy

September 21, 2017 at 2:59 pm

@ *** Yes i am (millennial that is). You must be wise then since you like to hear the opinion of others. most people just like the sound of their voices (sad). I’m glad you feel uplifted. Trust me my dad is one of the smartest people i know…it’s unfortunate i outgrew world news and CNN (trying to get back into it tho). I used to be a little more like you, now music and accounting has taken my brain..hehehe. Alright..Cheers.

2. LemmeRant

September 21, 2017 at 7:11 am

Last pic: See as ya President dey pose like houseboy in front of his of

• LemmeRant

September 21, 2017 at 7:12 am

*Oga

3. Adeola

September 21, 2017 at 8:03 am

Yeah PMB looked uncomfortable and unsure body language though gives away so much without much being said.

4. Icey

September 21, 2017 at 8:22 am

See why beyond having the technical know-how, how you go about your job really matters. EI should have prevented whoever compiled these pictures from releasing the last one with PMB’s hands folded behind him, it has implications.

5. somebody

September 21, 2017 at 9:25 am

This is Buhari’s usual look TBH(to-be-honest). The only issue with this is the fact that the look and the body language depicts low confidence or self-esteem, considering the environment and the category of people He met with.

6. CovertNigerian

September 21, 2017 at 9:29 am

PMB stood like he was standing at ease for inspection by a superior officer. Even the foreign minister’s pose looks a little subservient. Those poses may have lasted only a split second but the photo still looks bad.

7. MurdaSheWrote

September 21, 2017 at 9:48 am

Even our Minister of Foreign Affairs looks better, knows better and performed better. What a Parosidenta!!! Chief Cattle Rearer of the FRN.

8. Dee

September 21, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Hope Trump is not trying to recruit Africans to fight his war o!
    He suddenly sees us as worthy allies.
    I pray our leaders are sensible enough not to align with any side

9. baby

September 21, 2017 at 4:36 pm

somebody said his body expression depicts that of low self esteem and low confidence. lol…..I’m sure you will be full of confidence when standing next to your governor. let me not even go far… your boss(i doubt if you have a job or a serious employer)
    the first commenter used somborrri. that is to show lack of sound English background and lack of intellect. and he also said he “heard” why didn’t you watch??
    that’s how people with lack of intelligence talk. you didn’t watch the whole Summit but relied on people of social media to narrate so that you can insult too.
    some people misuse their internet privileges.

• LemmeRant

September 21, 2017 at 5:35 pm

What are you saying?

You don’t even know how to defend someone. You just ended up making him look worse. Is Trump his Governor or Boss? What logic even brought this up in the first place.

BTW the picture is not why we think he has low self esteem. He’s pretty much confirmed it all his tenure as President. He’s constant eagerness to take any available opportunity to leave the country be it “medical checkup”, surgery or Presidential visits – the various trips he took immediately he resumed office. How many FEC meetings has he presided over? He’s yet to miss any international conference. He’s always ready for that one. Or was it the constant denial of the danger of the Arewa youths, or the victims claimed by the Fulani herdsmen. He never addressed this and never acknowledged it, but he was always eager to offer his condolences to other foreign nations going through hard times, people who hardly reciprocate the love.

We’ve known he has inferiority complex for sometime now, this is not a new thing. This picture is just the latest evidence.

——————–

Hold up first… Is it not this same Trump that other world leaders are snubbing? Abeg park well or come back with a better defense.

• Osa

September 22, 2017 at 6:15 am

@baby you are rather unseasoned in your written English.
      I would have thought ‘somborri’ should have been placed in inverted commas.
      Pls get off your lame high horse and get a frigging sense of humour.

10. baby

September 21, 2017 at 6:48 pm

wait…… i wasn’t even talking to you. the people i was talking to haven’t even replied and you are replying me. they are even more sensible than you.
    why mention herdsmen, fec meetings, arewa youths? what’s your point please? please, I’m too young for you to argue with me.