Scoop

Everyone wants to Get this University Student a Modelling Contract

BellaNaija.com

Everyone wants to Get this University Student a Modelling Contract - BellaNaija

It’s a 0-100 story for Anok Yai, who from being relatively unknown is now a viral sensation about to have her dreams fulfilled.

Yai, 19, is a student of Biochemistry at Plymouth State University, who moved to the U.S. from South Sudan in 2000.

She was having a good time at Howard University’s homecoming when a photographer began taking photos of her.

“A friend of mine and I decided to travel to Washington, D.C., to attend Howard University’s Homecoming,” she told Yahoo.

She and the friend attended Yardfest – the homecoming concert – and on her way to the dorms, the photographer TheSUNK randomly starts taking photos of her. She said:

After Yardfest ended, I began walking toward the dorms, when a photographer that goes by the name Steve ‘theSUNK’ Hall randomly started taking photos of me.

While he was taking down my information, he said, “Today was a good day, and a couple of these photos have the potential to go viral.” I didn’t really think much of it, so I just smiled and went on about my day.

Anok Yai had no idea her photo would indeed go viral.

TheSUNK posted her photo on his Instagram and, gathering almost 10,000 likes, people commenting either assumed she was a model, or demanded someone gave her a modelling contract.

“It wasn’t until later that evening that I picked up my phone and found hundreds of Instagram notifications piling in,” Yai told Yahoo.

“Before all this happened, I had around 150 followers and was getting about 20 to 30 likes on each photo, and then suddenly, these numbers skyrocketed in a matter of hours.”

Now Yai has almost 25,000 followers and the post below has garnered almost 16,000 likes.

View this post on Instagram

Hi Howard #howardhomecoming

A post shared by ROCK (@anokyai) on

See the Instagram post below :

Yai also shared the photo above and it has gotten more than 20,000 likes and almost a thousand comments.

Photo Credit: Instagram – @thesunk

1. Osa

October 25, 2017 at 11:42 am

She is fine. Like ebony barbie. South sudan people can be black sha. Burriful!

2. RIFF RAFF

October 25, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Midnight black….so beautiful and mysterious at the same time.

3. john

October 25, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I want to blast her as another attention seeking black woman until I saw her pics …her blackness is damn unique even to us …she is a beauty and I mean it ,not in that delusional pro-black, affirmative kind of way that is used in deceiving black woman(expecially the obese ones)…she should market it well and make something out of it with no apologies..I hope to see her in top magazines, adverts( offline and online), billboards.. am actually sick of seeing blondes ,blondes everywhere.

• Ec

October 25, 2017 at 12:13 pm

You wanted to blast her. ? What’s wrong with you?

• seriously

October 25, 2017 at 4:13 pm

@John
      What? You must be taking your meds lately because you actually sound decent. There are definitely a lot of attention seeking people out there not just black women. And yes, it’s not the weird way to make her feel better or be pro black but she’s absolutely gorgeous. There should be no big deal about her skin color, she has pretty features.
      I guess I’m the only one who is not impressed with the whole sensationalism people tend to suggest about modeling because of one’s skin color and size. She doesn’t need to model. She should stay in school and pursue her biochem degree unless modeling is the career that she wants.

4. Lilo

October 25, 2017 at 12:30 pm

The world needs more biochemists than supermodels. Stay in school pretty lady. Modeling world is cut throat and most in that world will not make it to the runway . Model part time but differentiate yourself by being the Biochemist who snatches the runways as a hobby! #duckieThotMustBeShookRightNowTho

• Sunshiney

October 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm

You’re correct, the modelling world is cut throat and if you’re not a supermodel, you don’t really get paid. The perks are just being able to meet celebs and other rich people whom, if you’re smart, you connect with or you marry… hahaha!!! Complete your education and be the smart model, please, we really need those especially black ones.

5. GhanaianChocolateGirl

October 25, 2017 at 2:15 pm

South Sudanese have the most beautiful unique skin on the planet. I love em and waiting for them to one day win Miss World or something. Its about time they are crowned too cos i think theya re so beautiful. take Niki from #jamieandnikki for instance. So stunning

6. Hmm

October 25, 2017 at 3:49 pm

In 1995, Alek Wek stunned the modelling world and gave Sudanese girls a yardstick to follow, “Be Black and Bold”, whilst every one was considering following the likes of the media’s manipulation of black beauty…. skin bleaching.

7. Loki

October 26, 2017 at 10:45 am

I hate her. The last time my waist was that small and my stomach that flat, I was a foetus.
    Maybe I can go into modelling elephant clothing…

• Hedx