Events

A night of the Finest Live Music… #BrymoLive was a movie ?

Michael Olorunsola

Everyone who is close to me knows my overwhelming love for Brymo and his music. Recently, he has been in the news repeatedly for insisting he is the best thing to happen to Nigerian music and he just might be right. He proved that on Saturday with his “Brymo Live” concert, a wonderful 3-4 hours that I’m fairly certain no one in the Terra Kulture arena on the evening will forget in a hurry.

I blame myself for getting in a few minutes late as I missed out on getting the name of the first act, an afro-rock band with an infectious attitude. The lead singer in particular was bursting full of energy and at a point went up on the rafters only to jump down again. I actually held my breath hoping he did not break any bones.

Then Ibejii took to the stage with his “Ejire” band and held the audience spellbound for about 30 minutes before making way for the man of the moment.

Brymo took the stage next and from there on out, it was to put it simply “lit!”. On his right was his supporting band and on his left was an orchestra he introduced as “The Lagos Businessmen“. He proceeded to thrill the audience with one awesome performance after another of his hit songs. He even did “Waka Waka” from “Wakaa The Musical” which sent the audience into a frenzy. There were of course comic reliefs in-between each performance and he even took time out once to acknowledge his mother in the audience.

A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ?A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ? A night of the Finest Live Music... #BrymoLive was a movie ?

If you think I’m exaggerating how good the show was, the audience reaction should convince you well enough:

At the end of the day, I wish the show never had to end and I am sure I was not the only one muttering as I left the hall “Now that’s how you do a musical concert

Music is life. Music is love. Music is everything. I live, breathe and eat music. Also, I'm the fun music-loving guy on the BellaNaija Music Team.Want to send us anything? Email [email protected] @bellanaijaonline on Instagram @bellanaijamusic on TwitterPersonal Twitter & IG is @_kvngmichael

1. iHeart

December 10, 2017 at 11:04 am

I love Brymo and that’s why even though his shows seem to ALWAYS seem to have one issue or the other. I can’t help but return

The show was to start at 5pm but didn’t start until 7.30pm (same thing happened at his Organised Chaos show at Freedom Park last year, started about 3 hours late and then he came performed for like 20 mins and it was over).

The time for the opening acts was too long: each act did about 6 songs each. Given that the show started pretty late and we were there to see Brymo. This should have been reduced.

Brymo’s performance was passionate, electrifying and energetic. Something he can improve on is the length of his performance, perform more songs and perhaps incorporating a bit of drama and acting to further bring his songs to life. Also, he should learn to apologise when his show starts late. He didn’t at Freedom Park last year and certainly not yesterday (yes I’m quite salty about it).

And the name of the band you’re referencing is Skata Vibration.

• MurderSheWrote

December 10, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Sorry. It’s probably the organizer’s fault. And he probably didn’t apologize because to him it’s Nigerian time and it’s normal but that should not be the case. Brymo is certainly one of the few artistes whose concerts I’m so looking forward to attending one day. Him, Wizkid and Wande Coal. I cannot wait!

• Bleed Blue

December 11, 2017 at 2:37 pm

iHeart, you took the words straight from my soul.

Those opening acts took FOREVER especially Ibejii! And because I’m such a huge Brymo fan, I tend to get there 1hr before his shows so I can be right in front. So you can imagine, I got to Terra Kulture at 4pm for a show that didn’t start till 7:30pm.

Freedom Park, okay the generator went bad and we had to wait but he could have made up for it by performing longer than 25/30mins.
      I think he was good with starting time at Jazz Hole because it was an intimate venue and he probably didn’t need to go through the maze of organizers and their shenanigans. His performance was still too short though.

Brymo we beg you, when we come to your shows, we want YOU and we want you for longer than 30 minutes.

Love you. Bye.

2. Oluwatobi

December 10, 2017 at 11:32 am

Articulate piece

3. Tika

December 10, 2017 at 11:47 am

Late starts and Lagos concerts are like 5 and 6.
    Utterly awful customer experience.
    By the way, I think he apologises for that last year Organised Chaos. The problem was a sudden sound issue. The sound was faulty and I almost gave up thinking it was not going to happen again. May 1st Chaos was better. I agree wi5h you that his performances should be longer, especially since he is an amazing performer.

Returning to the initial point, Lagos concert organisers are scum. They never keep to time. They are more interested in red carpets and arranging champagne for their VVIP guests.
    I attended the recent Micasa/Lindsey Abudei Hard rock cafe gig. A 6pm event and they were still picking random acts from the audience to sing by almost 10pm.

Attended Felebration at federal palace. The man act was Femi kuti and he did not come on stage till 3am. The man and his band were at the venue since 7pm for an event advertised to start at 7pm that did not start till almost 11pm.

Lagos concert organisers are scum.

4. Teepee

December 10, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Honestly Brymos concert was a great great show except for the late start. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Brymo is beyond talented abeg. The guy is from another planet. From Scatter Vibration to Ibeji amd the maestro himself it was a hit back to back. Brymo came up to the stage around 8.30 and by 9.30 when I left he was still performing. Please when is the next show???? We want moreeeeeeeee

5. Tosin

December 10, 2017 at 3:59 pm

sweeti-m

6. Lioness

December 10, 2017 at 8:06 pm

They are called Skata Vibration, the first band .

7. teeteepretty

December 11, 2017 at 9:24 am

IBEJI is a big SCAM

• Bleed Blue

December 11, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Lol. I kind of liked the music, especially his mid temp songs.

It’s the identity I am on the fence with. The whole 2 VOSS bottles and fancy afro wig and pashmina and a few other contrived distractions left me feeling some type of way about his authenticity.