News

Lady sexually assaulted at the Lagos State Carnival shares her Story

A 22-year-old lady @theibkolukoya shared on her Instagram how she was sexually assaulted at the Lagos State Carnival.

She was one of the dancers who performed at the event, she wrote, and after their performance the officials of the carnival laid down excuses on why their payments couldn’t be made on that day.

She and the other dancers decided to protest by marching to the stage, and almost there, the crowd scattered, leaving only her.

Alone and vulnerable, the audience close to the stage assaulted her, first trying to steal her phone, then ripping her clothes and underwear off her, then penetrating her with their fingers.

She cried for help, she said, but a policeman close to the scene only looked on. Another dancer eventually came to her rescue, and she found her way to the paramedics who cleaned her up.

Ibukunoluwa is calling for justice. She wants to know why Lagos State allows its officials to treat its entertainers without respect, and why the policeman deserves to wear his uniform.

Read her story below:

We applaud her for her strength and boldness and are calling on the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team and the police to investigate the issue and ensure justice os served.

1. Ene

December 12, 2017 at 10:53 am

What a world we live in. I commend you for your bravery. Most women are ashamed of how the world will label them. Dear Lagos State Government do something about this NOW!

2. Ottawa Queen

December 12, 2017 at 11:02 am

This is very unfortunate. Mad people everywhere! Poor girl! And how do we identify that so called policeman? How can we even tell who the real police officers are? That could probably be an agbero who got hold of police uniform and came there to steal as well.

3. Amara

December 12, 2017 at 11:18 am

It is really unfortunate.I have heard of similar tales at CARNIRIV.I was scared that I told my kid sister not to attend cos we might loose ourselves in the crowd.It’s bad enough that I am watching my back and I couldn’t bare to do that for her too.Some guys use this medium to rape girls no doubt.I hope something is done about it.I can’t imagine the amount of pain she’s going through.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Only animals of the worst kind, would use this as an excuse to rape/assault women. There’s nothing human about those who choose to prey on others like that and it’s utterly demoralizing that our criminal justice system continually fails to properly punish offenders.

4. KingsQueen

December 12, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Bunch of vile animals!!! I just pray they suffer a worse ordeal at the hands of men like them than what they did to this young lady

5. Funmi

December 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Sorry about this darling @theibkolukoya stay strong dear and please seek help from all the NGOs that works with women.

6. Chibest

January 12, 2018 at 5:28 am

What are we even talk about neh ??????