News

BellaNaija.com

Nigerians never "go back to their huts" - Trump - BellaNaija

U.S. President Donald Trump (Photo by Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)

The White House has denied a New York Times which quoted President Donald Trump as saying Nigerians never “go back to their huts” in a meeting in the Oval Office in June.

The comments were reportedly about the 40,000 Nigerians who had been granted entry into the United States since his inauguration.

He was also reported to have said, of the 15,000 immigrants from Haiti, that they “all of AIDS,” and described Afghanistan, where 2500 came from, as a terrorist haven.

The White House described the report as “outrageous claims.”

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House Press Secretary said:

Gen. Kelly, Gen. McMaster, Secretary Tillerson, Secretary Nielsen, and all other senior staff actually in the meeting deny these outrageous claims.

It’s both sad and telling The New York Times would print the lies of their anonymous ‘sources’ anyway.

Photo Credit: Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images

1. Loki

December 24, 2017 at 12:54 pm

If he truly said any of this, would anyone really be surprised?

2. bolintin

December 24, 2017 at 1:09 pm

I honestly wouldn’t even know how to respond if he said that to me because honestly Nigerian just never go back!!! Not even to their mansions in Nigeria. I know too many people who left on 2years visa last year and never returned.

Its was so alarming. In my church alone I know 3 family who at least had basic standard of living yet left and never came back in 2017. Matter of fact they shared the testimonies and the entire church seemed very happy for them

When I queried the logic behind a banker abandoning his job, selling off his property and relocating to America on 2years visa, I was told that they would have regularized the visa before expiration.

When I asked how, I was told God can do anything.
    OK. I said I heard but I was still curious to know how this works so I kept asking and I never got any reasonable response till date.

the most sensible ones are you pay high fees for schooling to change your immigration status from visitor to student and earn some rights or marry a citizen at a fee.

I have been to this America and I met people who ran away and are not finding it funny but keep hoping. Hmn! i pray this nation gets better o so this desperation can stop somewhere.

3. 'Deola

December 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Whether he said it or not, the idea seems bad enough. I mean for someone to come with this story to discredit Trump shows how we are perceived. Either way, it is messed up.

The danger of a single story is still not mainstream. I guess we have to work harder at building our country.

4. o

December 24, 2017 at 1:31 pm

This is wrong on all levels if truly he said it. However, the number of Nigerians that have absconded in the US with visiting (tourist) visa in the last couple of years is alarming. It’s not fair on those countries as well and they spoil chances for genuine tourists too.

5. samesarah

December 24, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Sigh.

6. Chi

December 24, 2017 at 2:46 pm

White House denies Report on Trump saying Nigerians never “go back to their huts”. But do Nigerians really go back to thier huts?.I f I was trump I will replace hut with Zoo.

7. kkay

December 24, 2017 at 4:58 pm

No offence taken.
    Nigerians take up your leaders on their failures to make the country the pride of Africa.

8. Ijs

December 24, 2017 at 9:54 pm

When you don’t have 247 electricity in a country is the entire country not a hut?