Music

“We are a deceitful, manipulative, wicked, religious bunch” – Waje decries Nigerians’ Hateful Comments

BellaNaija.com

Waje

Singer and The Voice Nigeria coach Waje has criticized Nigerians for the consistent spate of hateful comments.

In a post on her Instagram, Waje wrote that she reads comments and wonders if they are written by humans or “fallen angels.”

She prayed that may God help us, adding that maybe we deserve the insults we get from the rest of the world. She wrote:

Maybe we as Nigerians deserve the insults we get from the rest of the world. We are a deceitful, manipulative, wicked, religious bunch. May God help us. I read comments and wonder if these are human beings or fallen angels (demons will be too harsh). May the day you want to be celebrated not be the day you’ll be cursed cause of the seeds you’ve sown. After all is just a comment abi?

1. Cynhams Cakes Abuja

January 19, 2018 at 11:19 am

It baffles me till date the kind of people who ooze so much hate in their comments on instagram and blogs.

2. Ezinne

January 19, 2018 at 11:21 am

Oh Waje!! People hide under religion to bully people. I hate it so much!!! Christians are the worst! They think theirselves above reproach and stand judge over people who do not conform to their beliefs. Where do we draw the line! Let’s treat people how we want to be treated and respect the beliefs and decisions of others. Leave your respectful opinions, and walk away. All this bashing and name calling has to stop. That’s how one woman attacked me in the comment section and started quoting bible. I deleted my comment biko so that she can be mad on her own. No negative vibes 2018.

• Cocoa

January 19, 2018 at 6:24 pm

“RESPECT the belief and choices of others”

I would say that’s asking for too much. ACCEPT their choice..yes that is more attainable.

I think what you perhaps experienced was CORRECTION (perhaps not done in a WISE way…) …but i do pray one day you come to understand the responsibilites of a True CHRISTIAN and the BURDEN we bear for the world.

Someone like me now..I am intolerant of Sin ..both in my life and in others. Would i leave a public comment on your page..no…would I dm you ..yes if the Spirit leads me to.

Offence is inevitable. We have to love each other DESPITE it.

3. Aare farmland

January 19, 2018 at 11:52 am

Ok hot woman. Too much strong words with no context and then no content again.

4. SoniaPaloma

January 19, 2018 at 12:03 pm

Too much frustration has led many to have mental health breakdown. This must be why most people spew so much hate. I mean, one can criticize with helpful tips on how to be better and keep it moving (No one is perfect, there are times we don’t like someone but learn to keep all hateful words to yourself because they hurt or better still discuss it with close friends as that is one of the reasons we have friends/family) . At the same time, Nigerians especially celebrities needs to know when to take constructive criticism and not automatically label the person as an hater.
    I don’t follow any celebrity on Instagram, so I could care less what goes on in their life as i have mine to worry about 🙂

5. Mama

January 19, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Unfortunately, she herself delved into the behavior she is trying to correct. Some parts of her post are not necessary and is counterproductive in my opinion. I am guessing that’s why the post was taken down.

• Lailatu

January 19, 2018 at 12:39 pm

@ Mama, exactly. Her post isn’t exactly full of love. I can almost hear her yelling in anger.

6. Mrs chidukane

January 19, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Nothing but the truth. Its unemployment and frustration. If they had jobs, they will limit the time they spend online hating on people and wishing them bad.

7. John

January 19, 2018 at 12:40 pm

shes not looking bad….i will do

8. Chichi

January 19, 2018 at 12:55 pm

She is right %100 we’ve all been guilty of having bad thoughts but to actually right them out or say them out to people is vile. I swear I’ve often looked at comments on here and wanted to cry at the state of the human race as it was that hurtful and even as a celeb I’d be so down to read comments about me, and I’m not talking about criticism, I’m talking about pure evil hateful words. And the absolute worse are the ones backed with religious slur.

9. Las

January 19, 2018 at 1:37 pm

I think collectively Nigerians suffer from a form of PTSD. Studies show Jews, Apartheid era South Africans and oppressed people exhibit a lot of the symptoms such as fear, anxiety, fear-conditioning, aggression. I honestly think coming out of various military rules, kidnappings, violent robberies, continuous environmental and political stress really have negative effects. There is a very high level of stress in daily life in Nigeria.

10. Question

January 19, 2018 at 2:03 pm

The reason some of us stick to bellanaija is bcos the viper tongues aint so much here compared to two other popular blogs….

I hope more pple speak about this…and hope these blogs stop enabling them. All ‘enablers’ are part of the prob and possibly hold such tendencies.

• BlueEyed

January 20, 2018 at 3:46 pm

For my own sanity and peace of mind, I dare not stumble on any of those traffic ridden popular naija blogs on the internet or on social media. Some of the things I read there give me heart aches that last for days, so for my own mental stability, I dare not wander around those hate filled places.

11. Kkay

January 19, 2018 at 2:16 pm

There is no excuse for so much vitriol.
    I think it stems from the value system of Nigerians. Money is the idol of many Nigerians.
    In a society where the leaders loot public which they flaunt and make basic amenities luxuries, most people with a lack-mentality scramble to possess and flaunt these basic material things.
    Some people steal, kill, swindle, kidnap and loot to ‘attain Materialism’. Some of those who cannot go to such lengths or even achieve these coveted basics by hardwork resort to envy and rancour. They go on Social Media to bitterly hound the ones they perceive to have what they covet. THIS ALSO IS VANITY! ( ask Hurricane survivors)
    There are still some people who are content and genuinely rejoice when they see others succeed and own it all.

Let me just say to those who want it all, wait until you live a massive house and it’s just the two of you living there or you have those big expensive cars or too many clothes, shoes and accessories. They get lonely, irritating, occupy space and bothersome. Sometimes you are often too tired from work to sort through and give out. You would end up paying someone to get it done and give them away.

• Kkay

January 19, 2018 at 2:53 pm

public *funds*

• Tinu

January 19, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Very true Kkay, the value system in Nigeria is totally messed up.

A few days ago, I put on TV and decided to listen and dance, so I searched for “nigerian music 2017 best”…something in that line and i took the first video and the videos/songs went on and on – changing and playing different artists.

But one thing was recurring and very disturbing in the songs: Money… from Davido to Tiwa to Wizkid to Tekno to Psquare to Wande etc…they only spoke about money like it was the only sign of success and if it wasn’t Money, they were always objectivising the woman’s body of the man’s private part…..

And I stopped to wonder…our society is in shambles. serious shambles.

People only tap into the blessings of ”supposedly’ rich people….I am still waiting to see when one person will tap into the grace of people who do social good for humanity.

God help us

12. Ms B

January 19, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Like that nairaland and it’s juvenile contributors and commenters. Very vile set of people.

13. omomo

January 19, 2018 at 3:42 pm

If Everyone is saying True Talk who then are these hateful people?????? Herein lies the hypocrisy most of you on this thread have said left one hateful or wise ass comment at one time or the other ..we ALL should check ourselves and stop this self righteous commentary just to extricate yourself ..she said “Nigerians” which means Waje and all of us ……..mtchwwwwwww..

• Iya ibeji

January 19, 2018 at 4:09 pm

See, everybody in Nigeria cannot be what Waje described so its not necessarily hypocrisy, why then must you now tell everyone to accept all the name calling.

14. Lavender

January 19, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Seriously tho… I wonder too. Like why so much hate? If you don’t have anything nice to say, you can just waka pass.

15. Ajala & Foodie

January 19, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Really??? I am tired of seeing people write about certain things like they only exist in Nigeria. The truth is with the advent of the internet and even more so Social Media, Vitriol posts exists ALL OVER THE WORLD. Log on to any website that allows for comments be it news, blogs or whatever based in any Country be it in Africa, Europe, Asia or even down under, it is the same. “The heart of man is desperately wicked”, it is not synonymous to Nigerians alone, and the wickedness and hateful speech existed since Biblical times, Social media just puts it more in your face. No bi today. The sooner we begin accepting that, the better for us, and the sooner we begin to focus on things we can actually control because this rant can’t change NADA!!! Focuse on things we can control.

• The real dee

January 20, 2018 at 8:25 am

Thank you Ajala and Foodie. They don’t realize this is not peculiar to Nigerians. Infact, as far as I’m concerned, Nigerians don’t know how to drop hateful comments. Please visit American or British news websites or blogs that allow comments, you’ll know Nigeria is just learning. You can try Dailymail for starters.

16. mamaisabel

January 19, 2018 at 5:57 pm

It said that ‘you only have control over yourself ‘ and also be the change you want to see. Change begins with you!

17. Cocoa

January 19, 2018 at 6:12 pm

COMPLIMENTS do not ADD to you…INSULTS do not TAKE from you. Get your CONFIDENCE from what GOD says about you and LIVE in that JOY.

Theres NOTHING anyone can say to me…in my face or in a comment that will break me. I know who God says I am.

The BIBLE is my Bulletproof vest.

The WORLD will cotinue to be the WORLD. Headed by the DEVIL. Only those whose minds have been renewed by the WORD OF GOD and are going through the daily process of SANCTIFICATION have the GRACE to speak TRUTH and LIFE.

Stop expecting so much from the world. Pray for them.

18. Preshhh

January 20, 2018 at 1:21 am

Waje….IF U CANT HANDLE THE *HEAT*….COMMOT FROM SOCIAL MEDIA NAAAA…IS IT BY FORCE! Ewu!! , I’m not NIGERIAN by the way….but I relatives in Nigeria, and I LOVEEEE NIGERIANS! AMAZING PEOPLE!!!

19. Tatafo

January 20, 2018 at 6:07 am

Donald Trump is the ultimate troll and look at where it got him