News

Herdsmen want Compensation for Members lost during Crises

NAN

Herdsmen want Compensation for Members lost during Crisis - BellaNaija

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has asked that the Federal Government pay compensation to herdsmen affected by all forms of crisis in the country.

The National Secretary of MACBAN, Baba Ngelzarma, made the appeal while briefing newsmen in Abuja on Sunday on the position of the association to the crisis between farmers and herdsmen across the country.

Ngelzarma said the decision was the position of members reached at the end of its National Council meeting.

He said that no fewer than 1,000 of its members including women and children have been killed and 20,000 cattle rustled between June 2017 and January 2018 during crises in various states.

The National Secretary called for the setting up of a Federal Judicial Commission of Inquiry to access the killings in order to unravel the truth and offenders.

“We call on the government to pay compensation to victims of all crises to reduce their level of suffering.

“If the government accepts that, it is left for them to establish a committee that will go and access the level of damage.

“We have a document of members that were affected by the pastoralists in the North-East but what we discovered is that none of them were captured in the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) programme because they are not sedentary.

“Let the government compensate. That will help calm the situation very well,’’ he said.

Ngelzarma, who said the association had over 20 million registered members and no fewer than 50 million cattle, regretted that they were the most neglected farmers in the country.

He appealed to the Federal Government to set up a Federal Ministry of Livestock Development to attend to the multidimensional needs of the industry.

Ngelzarma said the association welcomed the current resolve by the Federal Government to address the lingering crises, adding that dialogue was the solution to the tackling the menace.

“We submit ourselves for any positive participation to restore mutual and harmonious relationship in the country.

“We dissociate ourselves from any other group or individual that is out to foment trouble in the country.

“We demand for immediate disarmament of all illegally armed militias across the country in the interest of peace, security and stability,’’ he said.

Ngelzarma was accompanied to the briefing by the National President, Muhammadu Kirowa and other members of the association from different states.

Photo Credit: NAN

1. Egusi Soup

January 14, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Lord Lugard, I curse you. I curse you and your generation.

• Cocolette

January 14, 2018 at 9:22 pm

????

2. Ahneetah

January 14, 2018 at 8:58 pm

This can’t be true.

3. jokobaba

January 14, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Somebody come and hellepe me close my mouth, i no fit close am. Jesu!

4. Gyasi

January 14, 2018 at 9:26 pm

I was just laughing until I teared up. Nigeria is indeed a country.

5. NaSo

January 14, 2018 at 9:56 pm

The audacity!!!
    Our leaders are a mess!
    How do u reason with pple who think like this?

• Ottawa Queen

January 15, 2018 at 6:48 am

Majority of these top Northern politicians in the FG actually own these herds of cattle and have placed these herdsmen in charge all around. They know why they’re asking for compensations.

6. bey

January 14, 2018 at 9:58 pm

As the President of the country is their member and patron na.
    I just laugh at the sense of entitlement some of these Hausa ppl have since their brother came into power.

7. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN

January 14, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Is Nigeria stupid? No compensation should be paid to these murderous bunch. Instead they should be taken to jail immediately period p. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

8. Cozygal

January 14, 2018 at 10:33 pm

20 million members? What’s our population again? Ah! These are the cows that have been collecting pvc. I want to pronounce curses on this people and our leaders, but I won’t. For the injustice they’ve done they are already cursed. Some species of Nigerians are exceptionally wicked sha..

9. Miss Anoni Moss

January 14, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I am so frustrated with this country, I swear I started crying after reading this, the sheer audacity is amazing, after hacking those innocent women and children to death you are asking for compensation! The most annoying part is Buhari will actually give it to them after all El-Rufai did the same in kaduna.

• Uberhaute_Looks

January 15, 2018 at 11:59 pm

I died inside when I saw this headline. This means our lives are so worthless in this Shit hole called Nigeria!
      Tinubu, Debola Williams, Chude Jideonwo and the rest, hope you are happy? We shall all remember you as the vehicle towards which menace was unleashed on our society generations to come.
      I urge you all to get your PVCs, vote these animals out of power or let’s all ho our separate ways.
      I’m tired of being a Nigerian!

10. Ijebujesha

January 15, 2018 at 12:32 am

Sai Baba, Buhari is the solution, Buhari is this, Buhari is that. The man had clear antecedents yet many supposedly educated fools fell for their well-orchestrated propaganda. Well, keep enjoying the product of your gullibility, stupidity and foolishness. WE TOLD YOU SO.

11. Some girl

January 15, 2018 at 12:37 am

I couldn’t even read this rubbish, the audacity the inpunity,the inhumanity

• Fleur

January 15, 2018 at 1:16 am

I read the first paragraph and title. I wish I had not. We have no country. We are co-existing with terrorists and they are now emboldened.

12. Seriously

January 15, 2018 at 12:46 am

Is this a joke? Herdsmen want compensation for murdering lives? And the country refuse to label them as terrorists. For these terrorists to have audacity like this confirms the government is in support of them.

13. MP

January 15, 2018 at 1:04 am

This country is a big joke. I’ve Really tried not to comment on stuff I read online…. but I just can’t help it anymore. Please, the problem we have in Nigeria is illiteracy!!!!! Yes… that’s the problem. The number of illiterates in this country is just alarming. Tell me why a literate person will open his/her mouth to talk like this???? I’m so pissed… please who cursed us??? Why are still so backward and not even thinking of moving forward??? Hundreds of lives have been lost and here we see the culprits asking for compensation??? Like seriously???? I’m not even going to lie.. if any other african country offers me a passport, I’ll accept it gladly! Even If it’s Mali or Togo or Benin. I will go….. I’m just tired… I can’t take it anymore

• Jade

January 15, 2018 at 11:54 am

Illiteracy is not the main problem. Abeg, don’t you see a lot of degree holder Nigerians who are foolish. Buhari is an illiterate but he has degree holders around him, some
      Are his advisors we’ve had educated degree people in power yet no difference.

Book Education doesn’t give one common sense, ability to apply, compassion for another human being, consideration etc it’s a heart and mind issue.
      Let’s pour our frustration, anger to make a change.
      Let’s make sure we don’t continue in the same pattern. Let’s make sure our voices are heard.
      I hope this administration continue to make fool of themselves.
      These useless pastors, none of them are speaking out about the injustice, wicked, evil in that country yet they know how to ask for money for the poor.
      None of these useless inlams are speaking out about the mess going on in their area, against murder, injustice etc
      It’s just crazy.

14. Mrs chidukane

January 15, 2018 at 1:18 am

Let’s start with getting our voters cards. OAN, isn’t it high time we came together to boycott beef? I mean, we will not die if we don’t eat beef and other cow products. By the time we hit them in their pockets,nobody will tell them what to do.

15. Mrs chidukane

January 15, 2018 at 1:24 am

Bella naija, you guys should just have a permanent banner with Get your PVC written boldly on it. Registration to vote has been going on since April 2017. This is the time to get yours to avoid rush if you haven’t got it yet. At the Inec website, you’ll find a registration center that’s near you. Let’s put our annoyance into action. Let’s go out and educate people about the implications of selling their votes. Use all your platforms… Blogs, social media accounts, NGO, etc. We can’t afford to keep talking the talk, without walking the walk.

16. Bowl

January 15, 2018 at 1:30 am

Oh pls enjoy your country: no I mean s—hole

17. ant

January 15, 2018 at 1:53 am

Awon oloriburuku masamfani. Compensation for what? For killing all the people that they have? Even if they are paid billions of dollars, they will not learn, and will continue doing the same thing. Why must they be compensated for forcing themselves on others, grazing their useless animals on other people’s lands and killing for it?

18. tunmi

January 15, 2018 at 3:05 am

Finally we have solutions being offered. And yes they should be compensated. They lost lives as well. We can keep going with this blame game until it gets to our very doorsteps.

• Nigerian

January 15, 2018 at 10:00 am

Tunmi may your life be as those murdered by the herdsmen and may your family pay your oppressors.

• Engoz

January 15, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Would be nice if you are dealing with people who are reasonable not murderers who have been killing since the contraption Nigeria came into existence. You think this is the first meeting they’ve had?

My verdict is:
      No Southerner should vote for a Northerner until the North takes these issues seriously. The South has been diplomatic enough. As Californiabawler said, boycott beef! Let your money speak, let your vote speak for you.

19. Fizzy

January 15, 2018 at 4:33 am

It’s ok to be frustrated. But while ya’all are being frustrated, Buhari will pay from your tax(es). Instead of being frustrated behind your keyboard, go get registered to vote.. Vote the dullard out in 2019.

• Loki

January 15, 2018 at 8:41 am

I’m not a registered voter and had absolutely no intention to register as a voter under any democratic government; but you’ve just made me change my mind.
      Pending when Martial Law takes over, I’m going to participate in this sham called democracy and at least TRY to vote these bastards out.
      Nonsense and ingredients.

• Fleur

January 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm

How do you plan for your vote to count when Rotimi Amaechi is campaign chair?

20. Duke

January 15, 2018 at 7:42 am

And y’all were roasting trump for calling us a s—hole country? Y’all are MAD!

21. Kkay

January 15, 2018 at 10:57 am

Tinubu what sayest thou?
    See the evil you and your cohorts brought to power because of your selfish ambition.
    I did not vote Buhari because he did not have the interest of the country at heart. These herdsmen are emboldened to wreck havoc by his silence.
    I am yet to hear any Northern leader clearly condemn these murderous acts by herdsmen.
    They should all remember that God rules in the affairs of men! He will avenge the blood of the innocent lives wasted by these unrepentant herdsmen.

22. Oyin77

January 15, 2018 at 11:44 am

Wow….this is the sickest article to date. You kill families and want compensation. Nigerians, wake up?? Boycott beef for a year, eat chicken and let’s see what happens to these demon infested excuse of human beings….human rights watch where are you? Cows versus Humans… let’s see I think human beings are more important. Apparently the families butchered by these vile men are less than cows to them….sick

23. kahlil Gibran

January 15, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Hausas are the reason everything is wrong in your country nigeria. They are more religious, pray 5 times a day, apply religion to everything, but they steal the most, make women second class citizens, they are pedophiles, murderers, robbers, kidnappers, rapists and of a fact, they have more of the vices than any other segment part of Nigeria.

Very annoying and incomprehensible is their “illiterate” sense of entitlement, it is nauseating.

Nigeria is jinxed with the Hausas and will never be better for as long as the other component parts, ie the Igbos, Yorubas, the Middle beltans, the South South and other pockets never try to come together to form a union to stop them riding it rough shod on the rest.

24. zelda

January 15, 2018 at 3:52 pm

I am just tired!!!!!

25. Noms

January 15, 2018 at 5:54 pm

What insolence.
    They should be arrested and not compensated. The so called 20million members should better compensate the families who these herdsmen have been killing….We need to end this rubbish in this country. No sentimental votes ,abeg

26. jani

January 16, 2018 at 7:13 am

These terrorist fulani herdsmen should all be sent to Sambisa forest as their compensation. Then sambisa should be wiped from the face of the earth with bombs.