Relationships

Chidiogo Akunyili celebrates Civil Union with partner Andrew

BellaNaija.com

Chidiogo Akunyili, founder of She ROARs (Reimagining Our Africa Rising) and daughter of late Dora Akunyili, has announced her civil union with her partner Andrew.

Akunyili, who is also a writer and a philanthropist, and a World Economic Forum Global Leadership Fellow, shared the news of their union and how they met on her Instagram.

She had written what it was she wanted in a man, she wrote, and 7 months later, when they met, it was like she had written him into existence. She wrote:

Celebrating our civil union ? Excited for all the white & colourful celebrations with friends and family to come ?? Thank you Andrew for being a daily reminder of the miracles that exist in this world and the power we have to tap into it.
On a cold February evening in Geneva, I wrote down words that I feel connected our destinies & led our paths to cross 7 months later in the deserts of Nevada. “Monday, 8 Feb 2016. Geneva – Clayton asked that I do a true exercise of what I want. Here goes. I seek a partnership with a strong man, mind, body and spirit. I seek a partnership with a man who will cherish, love and honour me & the life we build together, supporting each other through the journey with kindness, love, a smile & words that put difficulties in perspective. He will not be away from home all the time but have a career that allows for him to assist strongly and sometimes wholly in building a home for us and for the children. He will be conscious and inspire us to grow in consciousness. He will be full of kindness and have a depth of love that leaves us inspired by what two people can achieve together. He will hold me and we will give gratitude. He will be flexible. He is adventurous/open to new experiences. He is happy in himself & together we share happiness in God and Love.” 7 months later after strong guidance came to me to go to Burning Man — I met him. It was a story of the union of souls. I felt I had written him to existence and rejoiced in the connection we shared. One I know started with a decision to focus on the wholeness of my own soul — self love — & from the space of taking time for self I was ready to take time for anothers soul and him mine inturn. I was not looking for a man so save me but a man to hold me up in my own strength. Together we continue to weave a web of care, love, strength, that isn’t without its difficulties but I’m learning & growing with & from them.

I say yes to a life spent together in partnership — to holding each other up outwardly and on the inside — to loving every part of ourselves and each other knowing we have the power to create and re-create from a place of peace with what is & the infinity that can be.

See the post and photos of the couple below:

Chidiogo Akunyili, daughter of late Dora Akunyili, celebrates Civil Union with partner Andrew - BellaNaija

Photo Credit: chidiogo_oo

1. Liz

February 7, 2018 at 10:26 am

In other words they are married, or?

• fleur

February 8, 2018 at 1:27 am

Love the quirky pictures. They surely are a quirky couple. Sad your mama cant be with you. sad.

2. That chic

February 7, 2018 at 11:28 am

Girl you are WOKE! I love women that are AWARE.
    Your union will be a blessed and happy one because you understand what the true meaning of marriage is: A Partnership.
    You definitely won’t be the type to send chronicles to Stella that My husband doesn’t give me chop money, or my husband insults me all the time, or my husband is always cheating and even gave me an STD, what should I do. Because you are WOKE in who you are and in what you want

• seriously

February 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm

You can be “woke” all you want and not have what it takes to make a partnership work.
      I see so many enlightened, intelligent people fail at partnership/marriage. If you allow things like pride, selfishness, lack of self control, to take over. Unfortunately, being woke won’t deal with heart issues.

3. ooooopssssss

February 7, 2018 at 11:52 am

some woke women still get hurt too! Its very good to be woke its better to daily work for love and marriage. Marriage is hard work and it takes commitment to bring out the best. I love this. I hope the feeling is mutual

4. marlee

February 7, 2018 at 12:51 pm

@That Chic, are you implying that, because she is WOKE, then she must suffer in silence or whatever s— the husband dish out she must just take it. I am getting your point.

5. zzzzzzzzzzz

February 7, 2018 at 1:32 pm

What is woke

6. CHIKA

February 7, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Thank you! @ooooopssssss One time like that; I stayed woke and I still got coded, curved, played and was hurt badly! Let’s pray it is mutual and the needed maturity is involved too! Congratulations to them!

7. nawa

February 7, 2018 at 2:27 pm

mbok
    What is the meaning of WOKE and Civil Union

• Poesy

February 7, 2018 at 3:05 pm

Civil Union = Court/registry wedding
      Woke (American slang) = Aware & enlightened

8. Poesy

February 7, 2018 at 2:33 pm

This post spoke to me. God bless you both.

9. Aare farmland

February 7, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Nice pictures and location, it looks like burning man? but this family always intrigues me with their choice of partners and specifics of their vocation. Maybe a new beginning or renaissance.

• Tatafo!

February 7, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Yes it’s burning man, that’s where they met so I guess they went back to take pictures

10. wokeabi

February 7, 2018 at 4:21 pm

1. SOME Of you misusing the word “woke” and need to chill. It’s ridiculous naija people misuse words like lit, woke, “fboy”thot and it’s cringe worthy
    2. What is celebration of “civil union? Civil union is NOT a marriage nor is it courthouse registry- . It’s used for gay couples so not sure why a man and a women would opt for it. Unless they never plan on jumping the broom. Because one doesn’t believe in the importance of marriage.

3. Marriage is slowly dying and I don’t see need for it. Everyone should do what they works for them. Although if I were a dad no man can just come and “civil union” my daughter. Lol

• Cocolette

February 7, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Lol… so you will civil-union another person’s child but want them to marry your daughter? Interesting

• Nahum

February 7, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Thank you Jare!!! Naija people don’t know how to use these words and they will be shouting it up and down. 1) it was not a civil union, it was a marriage. Civil union is for marriages that are not recognized by the Government but some ceremony took place to unite the couple e.g. gay marriage. 2) woke is being aware of your culture/heritage and appreciating it. So what does being woke have to do with this???

11. Tatafo!

February 7, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful and heartfelt.
    So heartwarming to see the soul of Dr. Akunyili shine through her daughters.
    May their union be blessed and continue to be what they both desire it to be.

12. Ijay Okris

February 8, 2018 at 4:07 am

Wow, beautiful and fulfilled couple. I can see it in both your eyes. Chi continue to stay woke. God bless and enrich your union

13. Ibi

February 19, 2018 at 12:27 am

I’m sorry, I’m bush. Please what is civil union, na registry?

14. Onyeka Ego-oyibo

June 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Congrats Chidiogo and Andrew…………….. i love the combo. God bless your union………. you are in for the fun of your lives…..