News

Glo accused of Mass-Firing Married Women | Company says it’s False

Glo accused of Mass-Firing Married Women - BellaNaijaTelecoms giant Globacom Ltd, popularly referred to as Glo, has been accused of mass-sacking members of staff who are female and married. The brand has however released a statement debunking the claim, saying retrenchment is based on performance, and that “a letter in circulation is a forged document.”

The former staff members have alleged that although a few men and single ladies were also let go, married women were the most affected.

An unverified document shared by Twitter user @duchesskk showed that of 97 women let go by Glo, only 4 were single, while the rest were married.

There have been protests in Enugu and Lagos, with some affected former staff members granting an interview to TVC’s Let’s Talk.

Glo has refuted the claims that married women were targeted in the mass sack.

In a statement released on its Twitter, the company said both male and female, single and married, were let go. It wrote:

Globacom has in the recent past let go of employees, both male and female, married and single, due to performance issues. It is not true that this was restricted to married women alone.

The women have said legal action is being taken to ensure they are compensated for the alleged discrimination.

Photo Credit: @GloWorld@duchesskk

This post has been updated to add the company’s statement to the title.

1. Mrs chidukane

March 28, 2018 at 11:09 am

My friend, a married woman,was affected by the mass sacking. They said she will receive salary of 50k while being vetted and after confirmation, 100+. The confirmation was to be after six months. My friend worked for 7years without being confirmed. She was paid 50k a month for 7 years. Everyone in her office was sacked, except one guy, who happens to be Yoruba.

• Curious

March 28, 2018 at 11:34 am

This sounds like your friend wasn’t treated fairly, but please elaborate- what does the Yoruba man have to do with the situation?

• Mrs chidukane

March 28, 2018 at 2:46 pm

She was working in a branch in the southeast. Everyone but him was Igbo.

• Olanma

April 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm

I am Igbo and the Yoruba part was unnecessary. So what if it’s in the South East? I know many people who work in Glo in Lagos and Abuja that are Igbos. Leave tribe out of this, the post is about gender discrimination. Sometimes as Igbos we feel entitled, if Glo was an Igbo owned company they won’t even hire Yoruba’s or other tribes; it’ll be majority of Igbos. I’ve noticed that you’re a tribalist from many of your comments on Belle Naija; especially when it has to do with Igbo vs Yoruba. STOP IT.

• Olanma

April 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Bella Naija if you like don’t post my reply to Mrs. Chidukane.

2. Zita

March 28, 2018 at 11:43 am

How do you explain two married women in the shop, As manager and customer care team leader, being sacked because of their marital status and the stock controller, who is a man, is made manager, and the executive single lady promoted to a stock controller, to assist the man manager and the women fired. After they have worked for about 12 years? That was the case in our gloworld outlet. Do you call that incompetence?

3. absetu

March 28, 2018 at 11:47 am

Globacim is only trying to cover up because there action was irrational and not well thought through.
    This is a companr I have dedicated my time to for more than 11year, up untill 8th of march, at 5.30pm, I was stull attending ti customer s in my shop. (ICM gloworld). we were six in number, only the single lady was retained and promoted from a gloworld executive to a manager( 3steps higher).
    The rest of us were laid off all because we are married. It is saddening that The high and mighty is protected. This cant happen in advanced society.
    We are not taking this lying low, we have faces and will show our faces in due course.

4. Adepeju

March 28, 2018 at 12:00 pm

This is so so true, women that were single before joining the organization, putting all their best for the growth of the company.you need to hear their story, its so pathetic.working for a company like that for years and been discarded like a pieces of used toilet paper.this must not go like that.this women need Justice. The company said they where laid off because of low kpi, how do a company keep staff with low kpi for more than 13yrs and the company didn’t crumble, but all of a sudden, they felt the married women are the one puling the company down.

5. Jenny

March 28, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Most of the shops on the mainland. All the staff were sacked becos they are all married.
    Part of those sacked have letters of outstanding performance.
    Sacked and given just 1 month salary in lieu of notice after 13 years in the company. This is inhuman and injustice.
    Nigerians we need to all come together to fight this injustice. If not tomorrow it might be you, your wife, sister or sister in law.

6. Mr man

March 28, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I thought this matter had died. Stop over flogging the issue and start getting serious with your work.

7. Otunba

March 28, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Na glo get company na sha i no go fit sack my staff again abeg

8. Mr man

March 28, 2018 at 12:50 pm

This is not true, Glo has released an official statement saying why they got sacked. It is performance related not marital status related

• Jenny

March 28, 2018 at 2:56 pm

It’s better you keep quiet if you don’t have the facts. How do you explain getting a letter the previous month for outstanding performance and then the next month you get a letter that your services are no longer required.
      Why was it not stated in the letter it was due to performance.
      We have all the evidence so watch out. The truth will be unveiled.
      All the women in a whole region are not performing becos they are married.
      Pls check the statistics.

• Aare farmland

March 28, 2018 at 4:37 pm

It will depend on what the law will say. I wish a lawyer can take it up with the industrial court or supreme court. But the small info I read, the law is quite vague. There is a law against discrimination of women but the way Nigerian is being run, it does not show to be anything thing.

On performance, if a performance review that leads to disengagement is statistically shown to impact a large section of people considered protected from discrimination, the performance review may not matter. Because the performance review can be discriminatory, it has to be proven with statistics why the review was conducted and how effective are the subsets of the review in worker performance or worker safety for the company and the industry. But this are in foreign countries not in Nigeria. In a foreign country, a law firm will be rich defending the case. because if different people were fired in different depts, each review as to show the effectiveness of making performance judgements for each department because women are a protected class. The basis of equality assumes both gender are equally smart and capable.

9. madam of life

March 28, 2018 at 12:51 pm

These married women are not as serious as you think. Most of them are so lazy and unproductive.

• Olanma

April 8, 2018 at 12:41 pm

You’re truly a mad man. Speak for the women in your family, shut up and don’t generalize. Do you know how many married women and CEOs and in top positions? Don’t be a cretin, please.

10. Emmanuel

March 28, 2018 at 12:54 pm

These married women are some of the most unprofessional people. They do not take work seriously at all. Little wonder they got sacked.

• Younggal

March 28, 2018 at 3:53 pm

You’re right. Most married women are unprofessional and lazy at work. Infact, it’s worse in the civil service. Always having one excuse or the other. So I don’t blame glo for sacking them. I’m sure the company must have observed their attitude and is fed up.

11. olo

March 28, 2018 at 12:56 pm

• olo

March 28, 2018 at 1:17 pm

like mr man said. i don’t think its true sir. they’re just causing unnecessary brouhaha with this thing. you cannot be sacked because of your marital status.

12. Draken

March 28, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Maybe this will be the basis of a class action discrimination lawsuit (I’m not sure what the employment protections in Nigeria are). My question is why are we referring to them as ‘Married women’ vs. ‘Single ladies’. Nomenclature matters. Unmarried/Single ladies are women just as Married/Divorced/Widowed women are ladies. Discriminations in terms is how this divide starts.

13. JANE

March 28, 2018 at 4:08 pm

This company is a total mess!!! It keeps evading taxes and trampling on human rights with impunity. This sort of behavior should not be acceptable in this county. The company takes advantage of the unemployment statistics if this country and dishes out contracts with dodgy term and conditions and am twists its staff to sign under duress. My advice to all job seekers is to work for Glo as a last resort. If you have other options even with a pay cut, it will be in your best interest to settle for the job with the pay cut.

14. Latoya

March 28, 2018 at 4:41 pm

These same women were the ones that helped the company build its financial base with their sweat and blood. Used their personal funds to run the shops. Were deprived of salary increament, leave and other benefits. This is how Glo chose to pay us after sacrificing our youth?God will judge

15. Victoria

March 28, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Globacom is lying as usual but nevertheless we’ll get justice at the end and those who want to know the truth will do so too.
    I worked tirelessly in Glo for 12yrs and I gave my best at work. They don’t have any proof that the sack was performance based because my kpi has always been outstanding and I was even invited along with several staff as Chairman’s guest to be honoured.
    It is completely discriminatory to say that married women are unproductive and lousy at their jobs because single women and even men can also be unproductive.
    Women handle much more as we have to bear children, raise them, care for the family and still work to assist financially thus I think we should be given credit and encouraged instead of being discriminated against and mistreated.
    This evil that Globacom has started will affect our children,sisters,sister-in-laws,friends and neighbors in due time hence we all need to join hands and fight this injustice now.

• BlueEyed

March 29, 2018 at 4:49 am

@Victoria, now I believe what Glo has done is completely discriminatory and unfounded, but I don’t think married women work twice as much or deserve much because they decide to have children and raise them and still work to support the home, having children and raising them was your personal decision for your personal edification, it doesn’t make it deserving of more praise or recognition.
      Staying on topic tho, Globacom is trash

16. tunmi

March 28, 2018 at 8:32 pm

This has been in the news awhile now.

The ones who got a letter for outstanding performance and later got sacked better present that evidence.

17. sandy

March 29, 2018 at 2:17 am

This is so apt, i recall few years back my Uncle who was a manager then, went for one of their executive meetings held in Lagos and told me when he returned that Adenuga ‘joked’ about employing thick sharp babes. Just a year later, My Uncle called me to send my CV for an opening, later he asked that i should not bother saying i couldn’t do the job as it had something to do with employing thick girls that can go to strategic places and he knew i wouldn’t do that. Less than three weeks, I heard of glo employment from another top in house source and some ‘thick and single’ females I know got the job. smh!!! plus this employment thing happened last year around this time…..

• ardnas

March 29, 2018 at 10:03 am

Uhmm. I totally believe this story. I think for me personally working for someone is only a journey towards doing my thing or working towards fulfilling purpose. Everyday i go to work, i ask myself what if am asked to leave today what will i do? I can totally relate to women been discriminated against because my mother was in a situation like this. Worse was, after her name had been shortlisted, a Director asked her to sleep with him so he can have her name removed from staffs that will be downsized, she said no. Next thing she got a letter asking them to leave, this was Federal govt ministry, now talk more of the private sector where anything is possible. God help us discover our purpose, that way we will be employed for life.

• Mahka

March 30, 2018 at 7:34 am

So so true…their interview process is a shitty crowded mess. All I was told was to bring my sharpness and look slutty; big boobs, big ass., good makeup. People were already planning on the size of ass pads n bras they would buy of they made it to the final stage to meet the Chairman. Married women in my set were asked to hide their rings, they never made the cut. Pregnant ones were asked to come in another year, constantly emphasizing on one’s aesthetics and singleness rather than wits .
      I knew this day would come.
      Get justice.

18. wendy

March 29, 2018 at 1:21 pm

If this true, Then you guys should retaliate by switching from the network. Show them your buying power. dont support anything related to the company. Use your social media power to drive the company to the ground. Let the company know that the customers made them who they are today.