News

2019 Election: Fela Durotoye responds to Criticism on his Mission & Vision Statement

Fela Durotoye responds to Criticisms on his Mission & Vision Statement | BellaNaija

Fela Durotoye

2019 presidential aspirant Fela Durotoye has responded to comments criticising his mission and vision statement.

Durotoye had addressed a roundtable conference in Lagos with his vision and mission statement.

The statement had been published online, and Nigerians on social media had criticised it, describing his ideas as simplistic, and criticising its reliance on religion.

Durotoye, on his Instagram, has responded to the criticisms:

Some people say that mentioning GOD in Politics is outdated. .

Here are my thoughts.

In the good old days… .
. … when Britain became a truly GREAT nation, their anthem was GOD save the King/Queen. .
… when USA became the most prosperous nation on earth, their currency carried on it “In GOD We Trust” .
. . … when Nigeria, devasted by a civil war, needed to reunite & soon after, entered into our golden years of prosperity, we sang “O GOD of Creation”. .

In his book, MY VISION, Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Mahktoum mentioned GOD in almost every page as he described how they built Dubai into ‘The Miracle in The Desert’.

In Rwanda, ONE MILLION PEOPLE were KILLED in just 100DAYS!
Thereafter, President Paul Kigame went in search of Rick Warren & asked him to help them rebuild Rwanda into A PURPOSE DRIVEN NATION. Seven (7)years later, Rwanda became d fastest growing economy in Africa. Recently, Rwanda was voted the most desirable nation to live in Africa. A strong, prosperous united nation was rebuilt in less than one decade because they brought GOD into their governance.

So you may rightly say “Fela, the mention of God may seem to be outdated in politics”, but perhaps that is why one of the most blessed nations is now home to some of the poorest people. Perhaps it is bcs our ‘politricktians’ & rulers no longer fear God or even mention him. Otherwise, how do you explain the level of impunity in stealing, oppression, corruption, killings & lawlessness many of them operate with so blatantly?

It can NOT be wrong to mention GOD in politics. But it is wrong for a blessed nation like Nigeria to have so many people living in abject poverty … That is so wrong. .

I believe with all my heart that, by bringing God back into politics & governance is exactly how we will build Nigeria into the most desirable nation to live in.

So, let me be absolutely clear … I will carry God on my head and if by mentioning God, we cannot win the heart of the people, then that is alright by me.
As far as I know, except GOD builds a NATION, the NATION BUILDERS will labour in vain. Our generation can not afford to labour in vain.

#BringGodBackIntoPolitics

1. AdaAda

April 23, 2018 at 9:56 am

Well said!

2. omomo

April 23, 2018 at 10:19 am

we do mention God ALL the time in this country Fela and for everything including yahoo yahoo and prostitution aka runz…..but our attitudes and heart are far from Him ..

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Yes, and how do you know does who are doing lip service and those who worship God in so and in truth?…..YOU LOOK AT THE FRUITS OF THEIR LIFE,

It’s easy to find out about Fela Durotoye. Start from his family life and then spread out.

Its easy to know that the Yahoo Yahoo and prostitute and corrupt politicians etc have not a clue who God is……their fruits are in direct contradiction with the Wot of God.

That’s also how to check the condition of our hearts…..what are your fruits saying …..still lying, still stealing…..still not forgiving…..well then….lets CHECK OURSELVES,

• Mark

April 23, 2018 at 11:59 pm

Thank you for keeping it classy. This is bloody genius!!!!!

3. mrx

April 23, 2018 at 10:29 am

I am sorry to say Fela Durotoye can’t be president of nigeria. God has nothing to do with nigerian politics. wither you fast or pray. if you can’t convince the religious and the non religious people why you need to be president then forget about it. We don’t need a president that will be asking God for guidance. We need a leader that can listen to the people, implement polices that will elevate poverty for the people and provide fundamental building blocks for any society that needs to thrieve, Health, safety and prosperity.

• 7Th Floor

April 23, 2018 at 11:48 am

hmm,, this is ver strong “We don’t need a president that will be asking God for guidance.”

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:15 pm

And according to you he cant ask God for guidance on how to go about doing all youve stated?

Well then enjoy your Nigeria the way it is. GODLESS AND LAWLESS.

God made the Heaven and Earth and YOU but you think He has no business in Nigeria. sigh

• maygurl

April 23, 2018 at 5:23 pm

wehdone sir ‘we don’t need a president that will be asking God for guidance’. you are so far from the truth, safe yourself

4. Cleo

April 23, 2018 at 10:52 am

One cannot do without God. People believe in his works but deny the power there of. We need God for guidance every step of the way especially if we want to understand the needs of the people and what needs to be done. He is not ashamed to profess God as his source. I believe in God, I am a child of God and I am Born again. You should do the same and your lives will never remain the same. God bless you all.

5. Adeleye Caleb

April 23, 2018 at 10:53 am

@mrx..you don’t have to be sorry. you talk like a typical simpleton. you don’t know Fela Durotoye and has not taken the pain to search about him. His profile is out there on the internet but you are a typical lazy “yoot”. If i choose to ask God for guidance on how best to lead the people and respond perfectly to their needs, how is that a problem

6. Amy

April 23, 2018 at 10:54 am

All the best to those who think they can take God away from human life and nation building. We need thosi who truly fear God in Spirit and Truth to lead us. No man can do anything by himself but by the wisdom of God. Tell me a nation that didn’t experience change without first involving God.
    I don’t know Fela personally and I don’t care if he’s the right person or not but I have issues with people saying that you can’t involve God in politics while the Law was put in place with God in view.

• Let’s Talk Nation

April 24, 2018 at 7:46 am

Thank you! People fail to understand that the Bible is one of the most political books that there is. There are a lot of examples in there of how people pushed God out of the society and it led to all their problems. God wanted to rule Israel by Himself, they said no that they needed a man to do so. And Saul became king. And they had a lot of issues because God will tell Saul one thing and Saul will do another. God gave men strategies on how to take out their enemies when they consulted Him before they went to battle. Imagine how that will look now, if we still consulted Him on how we can take out our enemies, such as Boko haram. They would have been long gone. I think the issue is we read these bible stories as just “stories”, these were real life situations.

After studying the story of Joseph (the one with the coat of Many colors) and how He rose to become the second in command in all of Egypt, I realized that in order to successfully rule a nation you need God and wisdom. Mehn! there are so many instances in the Bible. What of king Solomon? The wisest king ever! Or nebudcahnezzar(excuse my spelling) who gave a decree that everyone should now serve the God of Israel) or the rulers that went to meet Jesus at night to ask Him questions.
      The earlier we realize that we need God, the better for us as a nation. The US army has a chaplain, someone who guides them in the way of God. They pray together and study the word. Their sports team as well do the same. If they don’t underestimate the importance of God in these key areas, , I think we need to start paying close attention.

I think why people want to now take God out of the system is that Nigerians are religious and that’s where it ends. No action to back up their religion. They just call God, God and use it to cover their atrocities. So I understand why people are upset and tired. But we must remember that is not God that is to blame. And we must seek Him to give us a leader that will be a representative of Him, here on earth.

7. Rikky

April 23, 2018 at 11:15 am

God God God!!!

Which nigerian does not believe in God or even shouts God/blood of jesus/Jesu gbami / Hauzubbillah/ Insha Allah at the mere statement of a wish or a doing or just plain exclamation.

In fact, we need to stop spiritualising everything …we do this too much in Nigeria….

What has Osinbajo who is a pastor done for us with Buhari…

Please if God is the only thing that you Fela Durotoye has to offer us, please park well….we all have God represented in our lives.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:34 pm

“We all have God represented in our life”

Okay, if you say so.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Okay let me use myself as an example.
      I’m a child of God. I’m a doctor. God is who strengthens me to help the sick everyday. He works through me.
      Is it God or is it I who turns up fpr the job, exam etc. ?
      IT IS BOTH OF US.

If you see me ..you see my God, we are not mutually exclusive. PACKAGE DEAL.

N.A. BOTH OF US DEY GIVE THE INJECTION.

GET IT?

YOU CAN HAVE GOD AND HAVE SKILLS. Best part is WE HAVE TRUTH AND WISDOM.

8. nametalkam

April 23, 2018 at 11:34 am

Well buckle up sunshine. You are in for a looong, painful and treacherous ride. This is just the beginning of the intense scrutiny of you, your words and your family. Your personal beliefs are of course to be shared. Being religious is one thing. Being Godly is another.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Greater is the God that is inside Fela Durotoye than the opinion, scrutiny or criticism that is in the world,

My dear he can handle it. He has the full armour of Christ on.
      🙂 He is well buckled.

9. Dr.N

April 23, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Nothing wrong with mentioning God.
    However, I hope that is not your mission statement because it needs more work. Rooting for you though

10. istidele

April 23, 2018 at 12:31 pm

could this guy start with LG chairman or something?

11. gbaskelebo

April 23, 2018 at 12:49 pm

I have nothing against him, but it will be difficult for him to win, under what party is he contesting? what are the party structures of that party? are they present in the nook and cranny (ward level) of the six geo-political zone? Have Fela durotoye ever handled anything as complex as Nigerian diversity before? I don’t want to say it is a “tall thing” but if he wants to test the murky waters not bad…

12. olajumoke

April 23, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Every kingdom, authority, and kingship is built on and belongs to God.. you cannot absolutely do anything without him,.. How did David, Solomon, Josiah etc reign successfully if God was not their go to person? Every successful king in the Bible asked God for directions pertainging to their Government. People mention God in their statements and do otherwise because they have not met God nor have done his will, no one who does God’s will or follows God diligently behaves like these politicians. .. Read psalm 45

13. Yettie

April 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Im seriously tired of u people asking fela to start from LGA.what does that even mean…what experience in govt did donald trump have…nigeria is in trouble and we are busy asking him for LGA chsirmanship….i will rather vote for an inexperienced exposed and forward thinking man..than a dimwit experienced man

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 3:32 pm

That is actuakly my sentiments. All the decades these recycled politians have had ….what did it yeild? More cunning ways to steal and years of lifetime connections to keep them coming back.

I want a change for this country. I dont even live there ….I’m great over here…but my heart still bleeds for you guys.

So its very painful tp come on here and see your own hearts are not even bleeding for yourselves. Those abroad are fighting more than those inside the prison.

Is it because we wake up everyday seeing how things shoukd be? Is the average Nigeria already too confortable in their situation.

What country will the president go abroad and be bad mouthing their citizens? They would come back home to a riot . It is not done.

Your politicians have no regard for you..you dont talk. But someone mentions God ( with whom comes all things good) and you’re jumpING out of your skin.

I want to give up on yall’s behalf. …But i wont.

SHINE YOUR EYE THIS TIME AROUND O.

14. Ada Delta

April 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Sigh! When I read all the comments here – on a supposedly middle class blog like Bella – I feel sad. There are no intelligent people left in that land it seems and most seem to have fish brains that they can’t even begin to contemplate the importance of a separation of state and church. Empty righteousness, closely followed by corruption, then mediocrity to the three ills plauging my birth nation. Sigh!

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Hi ADA,
      ….we contemplated it…in fact we have LIVED through it….and some of us have concluded that it does not benefit us to be without God. So we will like a change.

oh btw. ….I highly doubt there are no intelligent people left in the land” loooool!!!!!

Funny how you couldn’t even make your stance known without derogatory remarks. Nigeria needs change….and I suggest the change begins WITH YOU 🙂

• Smh

April 24, 2018 at 3:11 am

The matter taya me. Nigerians can carry God on their head like no man’s business yet nothing to show for it till date. No be pastor dey VP post right now ? If Fela doesn’t have more to say that doesn’t include religion he should keep it. If a Muslim came out now to start saying allah this and that Nigerians will start running mad. I’m tired. It’s as if we are all headless chickens just constantly running round in circles. Nigeria is NOT a Christian or Muslim nation and therefore no president should try to base his candidacy on any religion. Please talk about your faith and how it motivates you but leave it at that. We aren’t looking for a pastor. Fela already doesn’t have a great chance, this religion angle surely won’t help

15. Trinitee

April 24, 2018 at 4:31 am

If George Weah could move from football field to presidential palace, I’m sure he can do it.
    Not harm in giving him a chance.
    At this rate, I will vote Bobrisky sef, if he wants to stand for elections.
    Four more years of an absolutely disconnected president and his mishandlers?

‘God’ No!!!

16. Oghay

April 24, 2018 at 5:21 am

The ‘fear’ of God is the beginning of wisdom! Not necessarily the mention of God. That said, Fela is someone I had personal dealings with some 10 years ago and I can tell you this guy is a true son of God and very passionate about whatever he believes in. You ask me how I know that…’by their fruits you shall know them’. He has raised countless godly protégés and has the grace to transform whatever he lays his hands and heart on, from good to great, from baad to good!
    I believe without a doubt that this guy is what Nigeria needs at this crucial time but unfortunately, the burden lies on him and his campaign team to convince the masses in such short time. I honestly hope and pray he scales through (nothing is impossible with God) as the benefits will be to the good of ALL Nigerians directly and indirectly.
    I wish we will rather focus on those benefits than the mention of God or not, can we not be distracted for once!

17. Abum emegoakor

April 24, 2018 at 7:00 am

Fela you go on God is your strength

18. Engoz

April 24, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Heck BN didn’t even post the vision and mission statement for us to gain some clarity as to what he said.
    Mr. Fela, the people’s averse reaction to you calling God is valid o. I myself I’m scared when Nigerians lace their conversations with God, God, God. You ask a successful Nigerian how she/he got her/his wealth and we will be taken through a series of God did it, He was in control, I pray to God every morning etc. So are they telling me the typical Nigerian rich man prayed seriously than those poor people stuck in redemption camps all across Nigeria? Lmao!
    I hope God will provide will not be your answers to questions on the economy. lol. We have been dealt with by Nigerian politicians who design their statements with God. So our concerns are valid o. As far as you are addressing policy, I will ignore your need to put your religion first. Sowore is currently on my radar.