BN TV

Watch Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s full speech on Feminism, Racism, Patriarchy & Power at annual Chatham House Conference

BellaNaija.com

Watch Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's full speech on Feminism, Racism, Patriarchy & Power at annual Chatham House Conference | BellaNaijaAuthor Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie spoke at the 2018 annual Chatham House Conference, touching on feminism, racism, patriarchy and even power.

She opened with a short story about meeting a female immigration officer with whom she had a brief discussion on feminism.

She went on to discuss the importance of stories and how they carry nuance.

Chimamanda talked about gender, how gender roles are assigned and continue to be perpetuated.

See the full interview below:

1. TechGod

June 25, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Please I need to ask something and it’s off topic but please read. I don’t want to go to a lawyer yet.
    I married akata (half naija and half American) and had a baby with her while she filed for me. Thing is I didn’t graduate in naija so I struggled to get my education right. I did work study where I got very small amount while I was studying and because she is nurse, she took the major part of bills and I got lot of emotional abuse in the process but what can a man do.

All this while I was getting better at my IT skills and just before I was done, we had to divorce because the heat was too much and it wasn’t easy for me at all to be honest. I had some crazy ideas which I put to work and luckily for me, it hit in Nigeria and I’m making a little serious money from naija even though I’m based in ATL. Now she knows about my work and wants to file for back child support as well as monthly payments. Since this money is being made in naija because my market is focused on Nigerians inside Nigeria and we are divorced, does she have a right to this? I am not saying I don’t want to pay her to take care of my child but the money she is requesting for is just too much. I can give her $5k a month if she wants which is more than enough but she just wants to show power. I need to know, is she covered by law to make me pay considering I am not earning money inside USA.

• Weezy

June 25, 2018 at 8:49 pm

What is stopping you from seeking legal advice from an actual lawyer? You can give her $5000 a month, but you can’t pay the peanuts it will cost you to consult a family lawyer based in Nigeria? Meanwhile, smh at you calling your child’s mother “akata”. Se your child is also akata abi? Any time I encounter a nigerian man or woman complaining about having a shady spouse, a little probing reveals the complainant is shady themselves. Like attracts like.

• Mive

June 25, 2018 at 9:19 pm

You didn’t even address the issue presented and you go on to blast him because of what na? Guess as a man in your books he doesn’t deserve your advise.

• The Real Oma

June 26, 2018 at 12:53 am

Very well said Weeezy, exactly how I felt reading his comment. Major side-eye

• Cocoa

June 26, 2018 at 6:48 pm

You are not divorced my dear. Maybe STATE gave you a piece of paper but God did not give you a bill of divorce.

Dont let unforgiveness put you in a battle you can not win (and i dont mean financial).

You said ypurself that while you were finding ypur feet SHE PAID THE BILLS. It is rather UNMANLY to have come into fortune and want to keep it HIDDEN ( yes you spoke of 5k/month, i guess i dont believe you..you WAITED till she found out her self..before then you didnt care to take up your responsiblity)

It should be your PRIDE and JOY to take care of your WIFE And CHILD.

BE A MAN. TAKE CARE OF YPUR FAMILY. Dont let the devil lead you into a never ending legal battle that will only breed BITTERNESS.

MAKE A WISE DECISION. TAKE CARE OF HOME.

2. Stevo

June 26, 2018 at 6:44 am

Chimamanda has gone bonkers pursuing a feminist agenda based on her redundant childish 1970s feminist ideas. It’s like she’s trying to make a name for herself out of this issue when not writing books. Maybe her mental health is suffering as she did admit to depression as one American said – “go and sort out female genital mutilation in Nigeria as that is a major issue there” instead beating people over the head over using your husband’s name or opening the door for a woman or men should read more women’s writers as if men don’t read women’s writers and vice versa. She’s turning into a loony feminist in a bad way. I support equality between men and women but not the childish rubbish Chimamanda is espousing. She has been given a major platform to campaign and she has chosen to push redundant Western ideas on feminism. Africans should grow out of their colonial and slave mentality of absorbing everything western as if it’s the gospel truth and as if Africans have no solid philosophy and foundation in this world. That is why no one respects us because we’ve dumped our indigenous moral values and adopted the false narratives of western cultural and moral values about us and about the world.

3. Stevo

June 26, 2018 at 6:48 am

You need to pay up and stop shirking your responsibility otherwise go and live in Nigeria permanently or else you’ll be pursued by social services . And please stop insulting Americans by calling them akata . You have an American daughter. How would you like her to be called a wild animal.?

4. Love

June 26, 2018 at 6:57 am

I feel for you but you should have known better not to marry over there for any reason now you are paying for it. Just ask a lawyer as they said and if you can show her some care gradually she will reasonmthings out with you but for now dont expect a good response, just be nice and patient.

5. tony

June 26, 2018 at 9:47 am

lol at the apt responses. Mr Tech God, your question isnt quite clear or complete… Are you a us citizen?? if yes she has a right to the funds you make even if na moon u make am…. also what state in the us does she reside in as that is also a factor, GA?

On a personal note 5k is too much… sit down with her and do some talking…. may be 2k… still reach out to a family attorney. Hey does your name start with a C? cos this story reminds me of someone i know

6. tony

June 26, 2018 at 9:49 am

Chimamanda go take several seats… there are better causes to take on… Sigh

7. nnenne

June 26, 2018 at 11:43 am

@ tony…. So what are doing?
    CMA,teaches writers’ workshop, promotes Nigerian fashion internationally, talks about Feminism because most of our women are treated unfairly, take it or leave it.
    Why do Nigerians, men and women get agitated when someone mentions Feminism????
    I hate the sound of “status quo” and f or those,who don’t, we should turn the table around from time to time!
    So, go find a voice and speak about whatever issues,you so choose!!!!

Chimamamda Adichie rocks!!

8. nnenne

June 26, 2018 at 11:45 am

@ tony…what are you doing??? Get up. Speak up!!!

9. nnenne

June 26, 2018 at 12:22 pm

We all get upset when Feminism is mentioned but a typical Igboman, for instance, will stop at nothing to get a male child!!! But when the same man/ woman gets old, they prefer their daughters.
    Girls do not inherit their fathers but whenever the community has a fund raising activity,the same daughters are invited from wherever to participate
    Why????
    No comments because it is not about “pull her down ” day!!!