Scoop

Kanye West opens up on how Controversial TMZ Interview affected his Marriage & Why he’ll never stop Speaking for what he Believes In

BellaNaija.com

In a new interview with NY Times, rapper and producer Kanye West is opening up on several things; from his new ‘Ye’ album to his controversial TMZ interview, why he’ll never stop speaking up for what he believes in, being seen as an agitator and so much more.

Read excerpts below.

On being at a low point last year: Really medicated, shoulders slumped down, and my confidence was gone, which is a lot of the root of my superpower because if you truly have self-confidence, no one can say anything to you.

On speaking up to defend Donald Trump: I felt that I knew people who voted for Trump that were celebrities that were scared to say that they liked him. But they told me, and I liked him, and I’m not scared to say what I like. Let me come over here and get in this fight with you.

On feeling a pressure to support Hillary Clinton from family: The family meaning the world — because you’re black, because you make very sensitive music, because you’re a very sensitive soul, it was like an arranged marriage or something. And I’m like, that’s not who I want to marry. I don’t feel that. I believe that I’m actually a better father because I got my [expletive] voice back, I’m a better artist because I got my voice back. I was living inside of some universe that was created by the mob-thought, and I had lost who I was, so that’s when I was in the sunken place. You look in my eyes right now — you see no sunken place.

On when he made a decision to always speak his mind: Getting out, learning how to not be highly medicated and, you know, just standing up saying I know I could lose a lot of things, but just standing up and saying what you feel, and not even doing a lot of research on it. Having a political opinion that’s overly informed, it’s like knowing how to dress, as opposed to being a child — “I like this.” I hear Trump talk and I’m like, I like the way it sounds, knowing that there are people who like me that don’t like the way it sounds.

On being seen as an agitator: We need to be able to be in situations where you can be irresponsible. That’s one of the great privileges of an artist. An artist should be irresponsible in a way — a 3-year-old.

On his controversial slavery comment: I said the idea of sitting in something for 400 years sounds — sounds — like a choice to me, I never said it’s a choice. I never said slavery itself — like being shackled in chains — was a choice. That’s why I went from slave to 400 years to mental prison to this and that. If you look at the clip you see the way my mind works.

On his song ‘I Thought About Killing You’: Oh yeah, I’ve thought about killing myself all the time. It’s always a option and [expletive]. Like Louis C.K. said: I flip through the manual. I weigh all the options. I’m just having this epiphany now, ’cause I didn’t do it, but I did think it all the way through. But if I didn’t think it all the way through, then it’s actually maybe more of a chance of it happening.

On his marriage being affected by his TMZ interview: There was a moment where I felt like after TMZ, maybe a week after that, I felt like the energy levels were low, and I called different family members and was asking, you know, ‘Was Kim thinking about leaving me after TMZ?’. So that was a real conversation.

Read the full interview here.

Photo Credit: NY Times

1. Merriment

June 26, 2018 at 11:12 am

Sounds crazy.

2. Single Shal;ewa, Bitter Binut!

June 26, 2018 at 11:26 am

Kanye is a very intelligent man – especially with music. But once he’s not talking music, he’s hardly coherent. Now i don’t know if that’s a mental issue but he needs to think more before talking. He seems the type of person that has so much to talk about and he wants to say all AT ONCE. No, man. Please calm down.
    i really wish him best of health.

3. SoniaPaloma

June 26, 2018 at 11:37 am

Does not sound crazy to me, just a man voicing his thoughts and opinions that are different from the everyday people. Obviously, in this day and age, what you don’t understand are always crazy to people rather than actually listening and seeing things from a different perspective. You dont have to agree but atleast it is only fair to acknowledge peoples thoughts differs and that is what makes us unique in our own way.

• Ewa

June 26, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Spot on…

• Merriment

June 26, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I’m not saying it sounds crazy coz of his opinions, I’m saying it sounds crazy coz most of it doesn’t make grammatical sense.

• Jade Edo babe

June 27, 2018 at 11:40 pm

See who dey talk grammatical sense. “coz” na grammar sense? Abeg, leave Kanye alone. He makes sense, has his own opinion freely

• Kanye is not crazy, he's not the norm

June 27, 2018 at 12:25 pm

So true. The society pushes to think alike, dress alike and look alike. That when being yourself is portrayed, all hell breaks lose. It’s actually very sad because people are in bondage and don’t even recognize it.
      Kanye is being himself.
      People are accustomed to being politically correct, wearing fake humility, niceness etc which is the reason these celebrities numb themselves bcos majority are not being true to who they are.
      Fake people always get the most popularity too.

4. GYOnlineNG.COM

June 26, 2018 at 12:29 pm

I just love the way West always expressed his thought in most situation, love him or hate him — Kanye West is a straight up Nigga.

5. Mrs chidukane

June 26, 2018 at 3:37 pm

bN you guys didn’t put the juiciest part of the interview, which is that Kanye had liposuction.

• Anon

June 26, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I don’t even think that is juicy.

• Mrs chidukane

June 28, 2018 at 12:20 am

Its very juicy because the kardashians always front like they are living a healthy lifestyle and losing weight through diet and exercise meanwhile they’re getting work done on the low. Just like Rob exposed Blacc Chyna when she was forming diet and slim tea.

• Kanye is not crazy, he's not the norm

June 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Most celebrities are thinking like Kanye. They’ve all done liposuction, what surgery or the other.
      Kudos to Kanye for having courage to live his truth