Scoop

“We love each other deeply, we’re so close” – Tessa Thompson on her Relationship with Janelle Monae

BellaNaija.com

Actress Tessa Thompson is the cover girl for PorterEdit‘s new issue. The 33-year old star is styled in a high-fashion Richard Quinn dress on the cover.

She opens up to the magazine about her rumored relationship with Janelle Monae, the LGBTQ community, being private about her sexuality, her family’s support of her relationships and more.

Read excerpts below.

On her relationship with Janelle: “We love each other deeply, we’re so close. We vibrate on the same frequency. If people want to speculate about what we are, that’s okay. It doesn’t bother me.”

On why Monae’s Dirty Computer album is important for the LGBTQ community: “I get text messages from friends which are like, ‘Would you please let Janelle know I came out to my family because of her?’ I think that work is really helping people and probably saving some lives.”

On her struggle with wanting to protect her privacy and be outspoken about her sexuality: “It’s tricky because Janelle and I are just really private people and we’re both trying to navigate how you reconcile wanting to have that privacy and space and also wanting to use your platform and influence.”

On her family’s support of her relationships: “I can take things for granted because of my family – it’s so free and you can be anything that you want to be. I’m attracted to men and also to women. If I bring a woman home, [or] a man, we don’t even have to have the discussion. That was something I was conscientious of in terms of this declaration around Janelle and myself. I want everyone else to have that freedom and support that I have from my loved ones. But so many people don’t. So, do I have a responsibility to talk about that? Do I have a responsibility to say in a public space that this is my person?”

For more from Tessa, visit Net-a-Porter.com!

1. Kkay

June 30, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Perversion.!Some would soon ,’come out’ that they want to marry trees or animals.

• kike

July 2, 2018 at 6:47 am

My dear readers if you are struggling with being gay or a lesbian, you dont have to live like that it comes as a thought (most evil starts this way) then you begin to feel it, its not true the devil wants you to believe it so you can become and practise it,God did not create you that way and if you want out, all you have to do is accept JESUS as your saviour with your mouth and believe he died and rose again with your heart and boom you are now a born again and righteous, rebuke that tot, read 2 COR5:7with your name in it everyday and confess it with your mouth until something happens,you will see the power of God in action, get books by DAVID OYEDEPO OF WINNERS CHAPEL or CHRIS OYAKHILOME specifically on YOUR NEW LIFE IN CHRIST or other related ones and read them wholeheartedly. My love you are beautifully, fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God dont ever believe what your head is telling you but believe what GOd tells you through his words, they have life, also join a church and attend regularly,GOD BLESS YOU.

2. istidele

June 30, 2018 at 8:34 pm

it never ceases to irk me that after the regression imposed on them by slavery and mass incarceration black Americans both male and female have decided on this route of perversion to put the final nail on their coffin of destruction. Shackles and chains will only be broken if there is a constant and determined effort to keep then as such.

3. John

June 30, 2018 at 10:07 pm

4. Mamamia

June 30, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Isn’t this the girl in creed? Fine girl with no direction.

5. Onyinyechukwu

June 30, 2018 at 11:36 pm

Una dey “vibrate” on the same frequency.. Ngwanu ‘kwa’ ntinue!!!

6. LAfemme

July 1, 2018 at 1:26 am

Hollywood. No wonder Tessa Thompson started shining. All you have to do is be gay. This girl has been acting since forever. Now she comes out gay and she is getting major roles.
    Is being gay really a sin? because how all this gay people are doing well is very baffling.

7. Shao

July 1, 2018 at 7:05 am

Judgemental society. Yet you’d think that our “high morals and principles” will take us to the promise land. Meanwhile we die of lack or knowledge and poverty of mind. Not to mention how wicked we are as a people, generally. Burning our step sons genitalia, bitting house helps that are beneath us socially, jungle justice, kidnapping, murdering like there are no repercussions.

Abeg free me with your stupid “holier than thou” attitude that has not birthed anything for you or the society..

• Cocoa

July 2, 2018 at 9:41 am

It is not high principles or morals that gets anyone to the “promise land”. ..neither is the “promise land” the PRIZE.

JESUS IS THE TREASURE AND LIFE ITSELF.

YOU are WICKED like the rest of humanity…those you call judgemental above. ..YOU ARE JUST LIKE THEM!!!!
      YOU ARE NOT GOOD, I AM NOT GOOD .THEY ARE NOT GOOD.

GOD IS THE ONLY ONE WHO IS GOOD, HE IS HOLY.

JESUS is what makes WE WHO ARE SAVED …RIGHTEOUS . Because we accepted JESUS ..when God Looks at us …HE SEES JESUS and that is the ONLY REASON we are called RIGHTEOUS.

SHAO ..the irony is that you are what you are professing to not like.

8. Cocoa

July 1, 2018 at 11:27 am

I once used to feel disgust when i read things like this….but i dont anymore, now that i understand better.

Now i feel a great and terrible sadness , pity…gratitude (that i am saved) but not disgust

Many are so blind they cant even see their nose….not just the LGBTQZYFGt (as it will continue to grow) …but the FORNICATORS, THE LIARS, THE THIEVES….etc.

Ah when your eyes open …it will really OPEN!!!! When God becomes REAL to you…and His love even REALER…and His judgement the REALEST…..OH HOW YOU WILL TREMBLE ….when you just as much as SNIFF SIN …YOU WILL PICK RACE!!!!

How do i know? It happened to me,

And to the family members who think LOVING your child means ACCEPTING their SIN …oh you will face wrath too. Just as Eli was called out by God for not CORRECTING or DISCIPLINING his sons.

The world’s love is really HATE. They will CHEER YOU ON to the cliff of your distruction. Now that is what you should call HATERS.

• Abena

July 1, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Uhm, not everyone is a Christian, I hope you realize that…

• Cocoa

July 2, 2018 at 9:24 am

Pretty OBVIOUS Abena.
      Christian or not EVERYONE was made by the same God and EVERYONE will stand before that just God in JUDGEMENT,

Whether one believes this or not is IRRELEVANT. IT IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN. One’s unbelieve does not change the TRUTH.

We that already know the truth will be here fighting to educate our brothers and sisters…WHATEVER THE COST.

9. courage

July 3, 2018 at 3:25 pm

American and influencing the world negatively