Career

“Going to Coventry University was one of the Greatest Decisions in my Life” – Adedoyinsola Adebanjo

BellaNaija.com

My name is Adedoyinsola Adebanjo and I just graduated from Coventry University with M.Sc in Oil and Gas Management. Coming to Coventry in 2016 was one of the greatest decisions of my life. At first, I thought it was too far from home and a place I wouldn’t feel welcomed. But to my greatest surprise, it literally felt like home from the day I arrived. The people, the food, the city, the university, the societies and the cultures acquaint a sense of belonging for me.

One thing I love doing is cooking. Within the city itself, there are over 10 stores to get Nigerian food stuffs and more than 5 Nigerian restaurants in Coventry. Coventry is a place with diversified people and culture and that is evidenced as it is now the City of Culture for 2021.

Coventry has been under a major transformation for the last few years now, so it is improving beautifully by the day. One of the more recent additions to the city is Fargo Village, which is Coventry’s new creative quarter and is full of local businesses selling everything from clothing to food.

Few weeks after I arrived, I joined the Nigerian Society within the students’ union. This gave me the opportunity to network with different people especially people from African and Caribbean backgrounds. The people in the community and the university were so accommodating that it literally felt like I was in my home. As a result of this, I decided to find a way to give back to the community and the people in general. I became heavily involved in Coventry University students’ union and within a year I was elected as a student trustee and Black Minority and Ethnic students’ councillor. The community and the university created a drive for me to excel, I was elected three times to represent over 30,000 students from different backgrounds. I’m now the Vice President for Education, Coventry University Students Union (2017-2019) and the youngest black person on the Board of Governors for Coventry University.

If you would like to enhance your future with Coventry University, there is still room to apply for this September. There are intakes in January and May.

We also have a series of open days in August. Take your next step today.

————————————————————————————————————————————–Sponsored Content

1. Iyke

August 4, 2018 at 2:22 am

MSc Oil and Gas Mgt….What are you feeling like??
    Nigerians and superiority complex!
    Just wondering if you would have promoted Coventry if your degree was MSc zoology or anthropology?

• Boon

August 4, 2018 at 9:06 am

So he lie about his degree ?! Or call it something else just saw that it doesn’t hurt your ego..

• Jay

August 4, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Iyke, your comment makes no sense. It’s so amusing how people are boldly foolish and mindless these days. What’s your point exactly? Smh.

• Urenna

August 5, 2018 at 6:29 pm

He mentioned his course and you mocked him for it. You seem to have an inferiority complex . What exactly is he supposed to be feeling like?

2. Anon

August 4, 2018 at 5:32 am

I just took a tour on the website.What is the English language test that u must provide and where or how do you take the test in Lagos

• Dayo

August 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Probably TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or its UK equivalent. Ask the British Council.

3. I'mJustSayn'

August 4, 2018 at 7:12 am

Haba

4. Smh

August 4, 2018 at 8:29 am

UK universities are desperately looking for money now that the effect of Brexit is staring them in the face. Racist people.

5. Tolu

August 4, 2018 at 8:57 am

If you’re Nigerian don’t just join African societies. Expand your horizons abeg

• Vera

August 4, 2018 at 12:30 pm

You do know you can do both right? You can have friends from all backgrounds and still involve yourself in your community. Spreading your wings doesn’t necessarily mean completely letting go of what is familiar.

• Tolu

August 4, 2018 at 1:03 pm

That’s why I said “don’t just join”. I didn’t say don’t join at all.

6. Meks

August 4, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Come study in a country where your visa will expire before your own graduation ceremony takes place, leaving you to choose between missing the event or reinvesting more money just to attend and take pictures……no thanks!

7. o

August 4, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Coventry is lovely. My husband graduated last year from Warwick Business School, University of Warwick. I spent a week with him on campus. We went to one naija restaurant in town called Palms. Now UK will be looking to get even more students because of Brexit

8. peter

December 6, 2018 at 8:24 pm

did this guy do the degree in two years? how?