News

I believe Nigerians are ready for a female president – Eunice Atuejide

BellaNaija.com

I believe Nigerians are ready for a female president - Eunice Atuejide | BellaNaija

Presidential aspirant Eunice Atuejide has shared she believes the country is ready for a female president.

Eunice said this in an interview with Punch where she discussed what she said has been always been her ambition since she was a child: to be the Nigerian president.

She always told her mum that, she said:

I’ve always wanted to be the President of Nigeria. That is the ambition I have always had, even as a seven-year-old child. I have always told my mum, my husband and my children that I want to be President.

So, starting at the level I did was because, over the years, I have developed myself for that office and I have a very good chance of winning it. I didn’t develop myself to contest a lower position. It will be unfair to me, my character and my true self to start from somewhere beneath the presidency just because of what people would say. And now that the opportunity has come, it will be unwise to go for anything less.

She has a 32-point agenda to fix the country, she said, with focus on education, security, health and economy.

We will focus on the economy so we can have jobs. In terms of power, we will make efforts to review those policies that make it difficult for Nigerians to enjoy power. We will make it possible for any company that has the capacity to combine generation, transmission and distribution to do so.

In terms of education, we are looking at sanitising our higher institutions and we are looking at improving our vocational education system so that people who don’t want to go to school as academia, especially those who do not have the capacity to go, have a place designed for them, instead of bringing down cut-off mark.

She shouldn’t be voted solely because she’s a woman, she said, but because she has the capacity to rule the country.

I don’t think women should come and try because the men have failed. I do not believe it’s about the gender and there is no need giving a try to see whether they would succeed or not. I believe in merit, ability, honesty and commitment.

So, it’s not because I’m a woman that people should vote for me, but because I have the capacity to lead this country. The critical questions should be that, does this person know what he or she is doing; does the process this person plans to take us through look feasible? If the answer is yes, it’s okay; but not because I’m a woman.

Nigerians are ready for female president, she added, because everyone is looking for someone who can “get the job done.”

I believe Nigerians are ready for a female president and I think people are just interested in anyone that would get the job done and move the country forward. The suffering is too much and Nigerians would go for anyone that can reduce the suffering.

1. Tamuno

August 11, 2018 at 10:21 am

No doubt ma’am we need a mother as our leader but the gullibility of our mothers and youths is a serious threat to having a woman President

2. Equality

August 11, 2018 at 11:18 am

That’s the beauty of the mind….I also believe Nigeria is ready to be a world power!

3. Jane

August 11, 2018 at 11:33 am

I think her coming out is a fantastic happenstance. We all know that realistically speaking, she doesn’t stand much of a stand, mostly because of the mindset of the average Nigerian man. But she will encourage a lot of women who want to vy for positions that others think is inconceivable to have boldness to come out and go for it

• Olu

August 11, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Mind of the average Nigerian man??
      Yea..blame everything on the Nigeria man.
      What of the system, the culture and religious beliefs that has shaped the minds of both sexes? It’s mostly the women that would even vote against her because they dont want to be ruled by another woman.
      Yea, it happened here in the U.S. A lot of women bluntly said they didn’t want to be ruled by another female.

Point is dont always rush to put all the blame on the men – we are a product of the system, culture, tradition and religion. Strive to change these factors and watch things improve.

• CrazyWorld

August 11, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Men are not your problem. You all keep shouting future is female and they tell us that women are more than men everywhere, why can’t a group of women gather around and begin moving around convincing other women to vote for one woman to become the president? We don’t kuku need to give you, you can take it yourself since you are powerful.

Women will rather chase their career or find a rich husband or strive to out do other females. Those who fought for independence didn’t wait for white men to give it to them and they were men by the way. If Martin Luther King was female, do you think people won’t follow him because he’s female? When Katherine Johnson and Rosa Park were fighting, did men not support them fully? To fight for something is to know a life of pain, emotional torture and life without money but women want the easy way. They’d rather blame men.

Before we talk now, one person will come and say men are intellectually lazy but the phone you use, the apps on the phone, your clothes, drugs you use, food you eat, houses you live in, the idea of money spending were all pioneered by men. Did Patriachy steal your intellect or creativity?

4. Tito

August 11, 2018 at 5:38 pm

After that unwarranted attack on feminists who did you no wrong, won’t be voting for you. Let those whose ass you have decided to lick vote for you.

• emma

August 11, 2018 at 11:59 pm

The funny thing is, the men she was trying to pacify won’t vote for her because she’s a woman who needs to be in the kitchen. She foolishly insulted a group that could have voted for her wholeheartedly. She can go have several seats with her political ambition.

• curious

August 12, 2018 at 12:28 am

Why does she wants to be president if she’s not a feminist? wowt…there are a lot of retards on this blog.

do you want a great president. or you want a feminist president. you would rather vote a man? than vote a woman who is not feminist?

• emma

August 12, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Why does she want to be president if she can’t speak diplomatically? Why are there so many dull brains on this blog?

• Bule

August 12, 2018 at 5:43 am

#Gbam

5. Diamond

August 11, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Why does she wants to be president when she is not a feminist? Her husband should be the one vying for the office, while she remains in the kitchen and za oza room. Pls go away!

• blank

August 11, 2018 at 7:45 pm

She vividly stated she believes and will continue to uphold equality of the sexes so what is your own na?? Lol

6. Elle

August 11, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Simply because she said she is not a feminist (which is no crime), you have made a decision not to vote for her regardless of whether she is qualified or not. Says a whole lot about you guys, the joke is on you, not her. And you wonder why people refuse the tag.

• emma

August 12, 2018 at 12:22 am

You don’t even understand why people are upset, but you’re here chooking your opinion into this conversation. How are you running for president, yet you have the nerve to insult a base that could have voted for you without question? She could have kept her anti-feminism comments to herself instead of shooting herself in the foot by exposing her ignorance about the movement. She did nothing but expose her lack of sense to the world.

Feminism is the reason why she was able to go to school and work to get all her credentials. Feminism is the reason why she’s able to come on the internet to make foolish comments. Feminism is the reason why she can even dream of becoming president. She exposed her ignorance by reducing feminism to who will cook or do house chores, You can’t make ignorant comments about potential voters and not expect them to get upset. and let me remind you, feminism also gives women the right to choose what they want. If we say we don’t want an ignorant woman as president, we don’t want and ignorant woman as president.

She can go and get her votes from her fellow noncritical thinkers while we feminists, vote for people that have enough sense to keep their mouth shut concerning certain topics.

• Tony

August 12, 2018 at 6:22 am

It’s this mindset of stupid division & hypocrisy that has held many from progress. Everyone thinks they have the best definition of feminism & alternative views are for fools. U prefer lies to be told just to secure a voters base instead of expressing one’s true stance so voters know. Again very unwise to ignore every quality or potential an individual has because of a response. I can only pity what tribalism, feminism, religiosity it doing in Africa.

• Stella

August 13, 2018 at 12:30 am

your response is not surprising lol

1+1 is always 5 to you people. People like you have 0 reading comprehension. How on earth did @emma’s response turn into her supporting liars? There’s a concept called neutrality. You don’t have to say anything if you’re aware that certain things you say will cost you votes. If I’m running for any kind of leadership role and I have something against specific groups, why will I be foolish enough to expose my disdain for those groups? on what planet is it okay to do that?

Her mistake was not mastering the skill of pandering to your likes without upsetting other people. Why is that so hard for you people to understand?

• Pro

August 12, 2018 at 8:03 am

How can you say feminism is the reason why she was able to go to school etc? Your comment is very shallow and not well thought out.

• nene

August 12, 2018 at 5:07 am

ELLE i support what you said, let the FEMINIST keep weeping all they want with their bitterness.

• Stella

August 13, 2018 at 12:47 am

the mule brigade is here, and they sound stupid as usual.

• Tito

August 12, 2018 at 5:19 pm

She didn’t just say she’s not a feminist @Elle. She attacked a movement that is just trying to do right by women. She reduced it to house chores to make a mockery of it. She mocked us for no reason. She projected a point oppositions usually use just to shut us up. She knows “cooking” and “submission” means a lot in our patriarchal society and so anyone that has a problem with the status quo is arm as am enemy. She used those points to score cheap points and fuel fire against feminism. Who cares about the other things feminism upholds when they hate cooking and submission (according to her). For those of us that have to fight against domestic violence, rape, women oppression, fight for subsidy for sanitary towels etc, it is painful that someone would could influence laws to cater to our group decided to rubbish the entire thing. It’s okay to distance yourself from the movement for whatever reason you have but you can do that without ridiculing it. Feminism means a lot to me considering where I’m coming from, so I’m going to vote for someone who understands women rights. That is the point of democracy. It is true that we now have extremists (as there is with every movement) but it is intellectually lazy of you to right off the entire thing because that is what is easy to do. At the end of the day, women just want to be treated better and have the right to make their own decisions like adults should. If you find something wrong with that,I cannot help you. I’ll pass on this one.

7. Ijebujesha

August 12, 2018 at 12:03 am

I don’t know why but I find it very awkward and I dare say it looks stupid when I see people give examples pertaining to America to drive home points concerning Nigeria/Africa. Don’t we have home-grown examples. Nigerians obsession with America has to be the strongest obsession ever. Haba!

8. Truth

August 12, 2018 at 1:39 am

Politics is local. Politics is local. It is beyond all the social media noise. Most of the people who share fancy opinion on social media don’r have PVC. The are in “the abroad”. The Northern woman kissed their ballot paper today and shouted Say baba before dropping it in the ballot box despite the fact that Buhari is not on the ballot. Buhari will be re-elected. #Fact. BN , if you like delete my comment, it won’t stop PMB from being re-elected. I have spent days telling PDP apologist this on bellanaija that Buhari is like a religion in the core North. Akpbio is a lot of things, but he is definitely not stupid. This is what he must have seen before defecting.

9. omomo

August 12, 2018 at 9:46 am

No all we need in Nigeria is not gender based ..We need a president (male or female)with clear Vision and a genuine love for the country ..end off..i remember the 7m curtains house of rep speaker and the 300m bmw senator…so gender isn’t the issue here..a thief is a thief

10. by_stander

August 12, 2018 at 5:32 pm

They are ready for a president that isn’t a lawyer or an accountant, and one that will put these two professions in check by review and removing all the underlying monopolies they have created for themselves in our laws!

So after searching online and find out she is a Lawyer, i am 100% sure i don’t want this woman as president.

Infact for a Lawyer or Accountant to be a good president, they would have to go against who they really are.

If you want outdated backwards societies that continue to infringe on your inalienable rights, continue to vote for and or give unchecked powers to Lawyers and Accountants.

Feminism they say is a branch of liberalism, i totally see why a N20k minimum wage society Lawyer will be fundamentally against it.

It is my believe they are fundamentally against anything liberal that gives people access to their inalienable rights, because at that point they loose their monopoly.

Her comments/plans reeks of it. You might be fooled into thinking she is a novice, but they are not, This woman is a lawyer you cant tell me she missed it – she deliberately left out the part where the laws/policies have been written to ensure none of these things happen without benefiting Lawyers and Accountants!

• Aidyl

August 13, 2018 at 2:37 pm

What are on about again?

11. Seriously

August 13, 2018 at 3:04 am

Women are their own downfall. Women don’t realize how much power we have within themselv. And we haven’t yet mastered strategically how to utilize our power to change the world for the better