BN TV

This Documentary gives a brief glimpse into the lives of Almajiris | WATCH

You’ve probably heard about them, the boys who line the streets of the north with plates in the arms, begging for alms.

But there’s so much being said that if you’ve not experienced them yourself, it’d be hard to remove the myths from the facts.

A documentary, titled “I am Nigerian Doc: Almajiri” by Naila Media gives us that. It follows an almajiri boy, seeing how he spends his time.

The documentary is part of Naila Media’s “I am Nigerian” series – “short documentaries that give you a glimpse into the lives of people you see everyday but know nothing about.”

Watch the documentary below:

1. Ada_ugo

September 11, 2018 at 10:19 am

this docu series is a good concept, and I get that they’re using brevity as a creative means of passing a powerful message… but sometimes, it can be so brief that it lacks depth, as this does.

2. Hmmm

September 11, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Well this is one story of one almajiri who by all means has found himself a means of ‘livelihood’. How about the thousands, especially the little children who go from house to house begging for food, the multitude who are sexually abused and taken advantage of. I remember as a child my mum would always cook large amounts of food every night eventhough we were a small family. Well she did it because she felt the least she could do was to provide 1 meal for these children who come knocking your gate and singing every evening – how many individuals can they rely on to survive and for how long? No wonder they become easy tools in the hands of terrorists. Northern leaders need to focus on the root cause of the almajiri issue and make efforts to resolve it, as in my opinion that is one reason the north remains underdeveloped.

3. Bowl

September 11, 2018 at 2:09 pm

After readiing Khaled. Housein’ s Kite runner and A thousand. suns, I understood perfectly, the effects of oppression on the human psyche ( being a victim too myself ) . So I understood why the American black is who he is , why the almajiris are stuck where they are , the inferiority complex commonly displayed by the Igboman and the rest of black Africa.
    I began to heal 12 years ago . Experienced a setback when I got into a bad relationship. some 7yrs ago though I mustered enough courage to end it last year. And I’m still on the upward part to finding my voice and strength. . I hope to give a Ted talk on the effects of oppression on the human psyche someday!

• Chidi

September 11, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Your very stupid how did igbo men get into this topic. Can’t u make a point I leave a whole group of people out foolish fellow

4. Bowl

September 12, 2018 at 5:16 pm

@Chidi, brother, you dared to call me stupid . You no dey fear ! Anyway , this topic is beyond your understanding . I think a better question would have been : why do you say so !
    I am more Igbo than you could possibly ever be ! The Igboman bears the carriage of a subdued race . Does this say anything to you ?

• Chidi

September 14, 2018 at 8:24 pm

@Bowl lol how can one igbo man be more igbo than the other, I don’t know what state your from but one igbo is never more igbo or more important than the other regardless of your state. We where one igbo before the creation of states. I don’t believe the Igbo’s bear the carriage of a subdued race because Postwar we are stronger, more United, more educated and more successful. Regardless of our lost We as a people has happened to emerge beyond others wildest dreams and we are not apologetic.