Weddings

Lala Akindoju & Chef Fregz Yoruba-Itsekiri Traditional Wedding was a Celebration of Love #Àṣéwẹ́rẹ́niṣẹ́Olúwa

BellaNaija Weddings

The gorgeous award-winning actress Kemi Lala Akindoju and her forever love, Gbubemi Fregene also known as Chef Fregz tied the knot over the  weekend with a traditional ceremony. It was a beautiful ceremony of love, joy, and happiness as the couple was joined by a number of friends, family, and well-wishers.

The stylish bride made a statement in three beautiful outfits. For the first part of the ceremony, she wore a black and white Asooke paired with coral beads representing her culture while the groom also wore the traditional attire of the Yorubas. For her second look, she went all the way to groom’s culture, wearing an Itsekiri outfit and her husband also switched his look to the traditional outfit of the Itsekiri. She sealed off the day with a lovely dress made by Tubo and her groom was looking all dashing in his all White outfit.

The ceremony was no doubt a beautiful ceremony full of love, happiness and pure joy both from the couple and the guests. In attendance was a  number of celebrities and industry friends. The couple had so much fun celebrating their special day with those dear to their hearts. From hot dances on the dance floor to the electric slide dance at the end of the day, it truly was a remarkable day for all.

If you missed their pre-wedding pictures, catch up here.

View this post on Instagram

Photography: @jidekola

Gele: @abekemakeoverlimited

Aso Oke: @bisbodv

Media: @kindredkreative

1. Olufunke

September 18, 2018 at 10:56 am

So so so beautiful i must confess, she’s the happiest bride i’ve ever seen and i can feel it sef lol. I pray their Joy remains full forever more in Jesus name, Amen

2. Phoebe

September 18, 2018 at 11:03 am

Oh, how I love love!
    Congratulations Chef Fregz and Lala.

3. Mira

September 18, 2018 at 11:27 am

Congratulations, Lala.
    May God bless your home and prosper your family beyond your imagination, in Jesus’ name.

4. Yinmu

September 18, 2018 at 11:44 am

Kemi Lala! I don’t know her personally but she looks so much like my friend in Uni and that was enough to me to admire her. Haven’t even watched any of her movie (poor with nollyhood films) but she comes across as someone with a great personality and I’ve been biased towards her just because she looks like a friend.

I shouted (internally) for joy when I saw the first post on BN and was wondering if there is more to this love from afar.

Wish you the best on this new path and I can perceive the love the two of you “buzz”… Great love under the atmosphere of great food…

5. Merriment

September 18, 2018 at 11:59 am

Beautiful!!!

6. jess

September 18, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Awww, they look genuinely happy.
    For better understanding of Nigerian culture, Why do itsekiri have partly yoruba names and also some edo people? Do they share lineage with the Yoruba people?

• odior

September 18, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Yes, we do

• Anon

September 18, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Ginuwa the first son of the Oba of Benin founded Warri. Oba of Benin (Oranmiyan) being a son of Oduduwa. That’s the link.

• Me too

September 18, 2018 at 9:01 pm

According to history, a prince from Ife (founded) the Benin kingdom. Later, another Prince, l believe from Benin this time around (Ginuwa) then founded the Itsekiri kingdom in the 1400s. I believe the Itsekiri’s began documenting their history with the help of Portuguese missionaries in the 1500’s.

Itsekiri and Yoruba languages are about 65% the same. Lots of the Yoruba words were diluted with Portuguese and Edo.

So you have lots of similar names like these=

Timeyin (I) Timilehin(Y)
      Omawunmi Omowunmi(Y)
      Taiwo&Kehinde Taiwo & Kehinde
      Dere Dare
      Modokpe Modupe
      Temi…. Temi ( many versions of Temi for both languages;
      Tuope Tope
      Yemi – Temiyemi. Yemi- Olayemi
      Omayeli Omoyele
      Okpe- Okpetoritse. Ope
      Ayo- Ayoritse. Ayo -Ayoade
      Abidemi. Bidemi
      Shola/Sola -Sholaye. Sola – many variations
      Tomi- Ebitomi/ uwaoristetomi. Tomi- many variations

I hope this helps….. sorry, it’s a tad bit too long.

7. Nthata

September 18, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Congrats lala. Our Africa is rich in culture

8. TopTop

September 18, 2018 at 1:27 pm

They actually do, but because of lack of documentation of history, there are lots of disagreements on how they connect. My cousin’s husband is Itshekiri and he told me Ijebu dialect is the closest to their language. The day i attended their family function, i was surprised to understand some of their conversations.

• Anon

September 18, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Lack of documentation of history? Not true.. There are many history books that said the same thing. For example, late Professor Ade Ajayi wrote extensively on kingdoms in West Africa. Adu Boahen too.

9. 'Diddie

September 18, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Beautiful couple… wish them marital bliss all the way

10. Baymax

September 18, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Where is OC Ukeje?!!!!!!

11. Moyo Omidiran

September 18, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Congrats to this beautiful couple. They complement each other well.

12. omomo

September 18, 2018 at 3:55 pm

she must have had 5 change of outfits

13. Moyo Omidiran

September 18, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Congrats to the beautiful couple

14. Hair by Osas

September 18, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Very beautiful Couple!
    May God grant them marital bliss, Amen.

15. Dee

September 18, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Bella Naija, the name is Gbubemi and not Gbugbemi!

16. Me too

September 18, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Congrats Lala and Gbubemi.
    The grooms name -Oritsegbubemi, means God has heard my prayers.
    Chef, indeed God has heard your prayers and given you a wife that’s beyond what you would have chosen – by the natural inclinations of your humanity.

In marriage, you need a kind spouse, a selfless person, someone who will be in this journey of life when the going is tough and when it’s good as well. God has given you a woman who is far more valuable than diamond. I hope you don’t take her for granted, it’s so easy to do so.

Marriage is a journey of 2 forgivers. It’s easy to forgive many things except adultery. What ever you do Gbubemi, stay away from it please. I say this to Christian husbands not just yourself. Forgiving adultery is possible but very hard. The trust is almost irreparable!!!!

Oristsegbubemi and Lala, I beg you both, get Dr Harley’s materials- if this is the only marriage book you read, please i beg you like you are my family – well, I am but I won’t mention how I am related.

Is anyone reading today at the verge of divorce? Get Dr Harley’s book please ‘His needs, Her needs’. Reading this book makes me feel like all the singles services I attended in church was a waste of time. They did not teach the real koko.

Just as an insight, Dr Harley is a trained psychologist with over 30 years marriage counselling experience. He has helped many marriages on the brink of divorce (including those of ministers of God) thank God for directing me to this material or else…… I would have been at the divorce court now and yet I am very very born again,!

Lord, help every couple find the right knowledge about marriage because your people’s marriages are perishing for the lack of knowledge.

• Uberhaute Looks

September 19, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Maybe your church but my church teaches core subjects on marriage, to singles, about to and married also.
      Happy married life Lala and Fregz. God, Communication and Love, is the Key!

17. Anoni

September 19, 2018 at 12:35 am

I remember when Lala caught so much flack when she was in her friend (O.C Ukeje)’s train. My gosh! All sorts were said…she’s sleeping with him,they are too close,assistant wife etc. Just made me sick to my stomach! Now she’s being celebrated, might be by the same who were spewing vitriol a while back! In this life…let me just stop there. All I pray,may God prepare a table for us in the PRESENCE of our enemies!!!

18. olajumoke

September 19, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Chef Fregz can dance sha! with so much ease

19. Jummi

September 19, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Nigerians sha and their love for all things blingy. Is everyone going to ouu and ahh here and not admit that they may be best friends, but there is ZERO and I mean Z-E-R-O chemistry between them.
    No intimacy. I hope she knows what she’s doing, cos he does!

• Love

September 20, 2018 at 1:46 pm

In your eyes this Union will last forever. Amen. May God show you your friend

• xender xavier

September 26, 2018 at 8:51 am

how did you spot that? What can you see that we are not seeing?

• lola

October 5, 2018 at 10:51 am

Did you make these deductions from these photos and videos?? This is so mean and vile. Envy has sure eaten you up. i wonder how this comment was approved in the first place.