Weddings

Lola & Jamil’s Vibrant Nigerian-Ghanaian Wedding Ceremony #Jalo18

BellaNaija Weddings

Lola met her sweetheart Jamil while she was in college in London. They remained good friends for a while before they started to date because Lola wasn’t sure she could date a non-Yoruba guy.  Years after, they proceeded to tie the knot in a beautiful Nigerian-Ghanaian wedding ceremony. It was such a pleasant union of cultures and family.

Here is a little backstory of how they met! Enjoy! How We Met
By the bride, Lola

I started my first year at Bedfordshire University. As it was freshers week, I and the rest of my friends decided to go out and enjoy freshers week before the hard work starts. After the party, we were waiting outside the venue for our cab, all of a sudden these two cars pulled over. Then these four guys came out of the cars, one of the guys (who happened to be Jamil) walked up to me and said ‘Can I have your number?‘ and I remember thinking to myself, this guy is brave o! But it was freshers week and we were having fun so I just gave it to him.

When we got home and all the girls were talking, I discovered Jamil took mine and another girl’s number. I was fuming because I actually thought he was nice, so then I had my guard up like this guy must be a player. The next day, Jamil and his friend came over to our accommodation, I completely ignored Jamil but he kept trying to talk to me and get my attention. Eventually, we ended up in the kitchen and got talking, I discovered he was actually funny.

However, I felt I couldn’t date him because he was not Yoruba, he’s Ghanaian, I thought to myself how would I introduce him to my mum. Although we were not dating, we still maintained a good friendship, I would go to Luton from London to cook for him. We would talk on the phone about girls he was seeing and when I had any guy problems Jamil was my personal Adviser.

Four years later, I and couple of the girls from university decided to meet up in Luton to catch up on life after university. Jamil was still living in Luton at the time so we went to his house after having dinner. Jamil was so accommodating, he even gave one of the girl’s sister money for a cab and he just made sure everyone was fine. And of course, I noticed the maturity, the growth, and all the qualities I have been looking for in my ex-boyfriend which I didn’t see. Jamil is calm, understanding, generous and always ready to help anyone in need and of course, he is tall, dark and handsome LOL. The only thing that was stopping me from dating him was that he was Ghanaian, (it sounds so silly now). I decided that day that he was the one I have been looking for. A week after, we went on a date and the rest is history!

Fast forward, we then started talking each day getting to know more about each other. We went on our first date to a Chinese restaurant in High Wycombe. It was a fun date, anytime I was with Jamil, I always had this butterfly feeling, we just clicked and was comfortable around each other. Four years after our first date,  he decided to put a ring on it, in the most special way. He flew to Dubai to surprise me in front of my family. It was meant to be, we are destined to be together and I cannot wait to officially become Mrs A

Traditional Wedding

Catch the rest of their lovestory and Jamil’s side of the story on BellaNaija Weddings.

Credits
Cocktails:
@ravissantcocktails
Venue:
@meridian_grand

1. Olayemi

October 8, 2018 at 8:38 pm

These pictures are the best so far. Very clear and beautiful. Great quality. Congratulations on your wedding.

2. Anon

October 8, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Beautiful wedding and very colourful. Congrats.

3. anon2

October 8, 2018 at 9:32 pm

“They remained good friends for a while before they started to date because Lola wasn’t sure she could date a non-Yoruba guy”. This is one the major reasons why there are so many single black woman in the UK. Black people make up only 2-3% of UK population. Lets assume half of those are male, that makes 1.5% of UK population are black men. Let’s assume (very generously) that half of that are eligible bachelors, that makes 0.75% of Uk population eligible black bachelors. Just imagine how slim your chances will be if a black woman only wants to marry “Jamaican” or “Zambian” or “Congolese men”. Then imagine how extra slim it will be if she only wants to marry from a particular tribe!? Haba!! You better go husband hunting in your village in Africa then. Meanwhile, a black man is prepared to marry a woman from ANYWHERE in this world, thus even further reducing chances for women of the aforementioned inclination. Happy Married Life to Lola though, she obviously saw the light.. Truth is, once your are married and settled to someone from another tribe or nationality, and have kids, you actually forget that the person is from somewhere else.

• Bio

October 19, 2018 at 3:41 pm

I like that you pointed it out….and to be honest most people are like that but we ladies need to be more flexible maybe. You even analyzed with figures (factual or not). Great thinking great analysis.

I also understand the issues with inter-tribal marriage so some concerns are legit anyways. e.g a Cameroonian woman has been married to a Nigerian Bro in the UK for like 20 years and she has never step foot on Nigerian soil and will not bulge no matter the event. I don’t know the details but I know it gives the bro a lot of worry.

I really love these ones’ story though and wish them all the best but she was the one who saw the light and one week after something happened. Can she please come back and give us the full gist?

did she ask the brother out herself, did brother see the light about that time too? did she have to convince him? I want to know how they sorted that part out please

4. Miss Fine

October 8, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Beautiful couple

5. Ade

October 8, 2018 at 10:53 pm

That picture is everything. I’m sooo in love with the quality.

6. Radiant

October 9, 2018 at 9:59 am

Wow. Beautiful. I enjoyed looking at these pictures.

7. Unicorn

October 9, 2018 at 10:40 am

Beautiful ceremony, beautiful couple. I wish you a blissful marriage.

8. Unicorn

October 9, 2018 at 10:55 am

Beautiful marriage, beautiful couple. I wish you a blissful marriage.

9. zzzzzzzzzzz

October 9, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Beautiful wedding, beautiful couple may your union last

10. Dion

October 10, 2018 at 12:47 am

Wow! So beautiful. God bless this marriage and fill their home with joy, peace and laughter. Awesome pictures, beautiful couple.

11. Princess

October 18, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Multi cutural wedding is just the best these days