Scoop

Kaffy wants Everyone to Know they can defeat Depression

BellaNaija.com

Kaffy wants Everyone to Know they can defeat Depression | BellaNaijaWe now all know that depression is a real illness, guys, and it is necessary that we guard our mental health.

Dancer Kaffy has shared on her Instagram an encouragement to everyone and anyone battling depression.

She’s battled it and she’s won, she shared, and you too can win.

It’s necessary to understand that there’s no such thing as a life that’s better than yours, guys. Just keep keeping on.

Read what Kaffy has for you:

Depression is real too many lives lost .
#kaffynodeylookyatime#kaffygoneedyadime

View this post on Instagram

Please DO NOT BE PRESSURED . A lot is a lie . A lot is a manifestation of what they want to be . A lot is from insecurities.A lot is from depression not all smiley faces are happy faces. Depression is real too many lives lost . I faced depression I battled it and I won . You can win . First thing to do is not to let people define your happiness. We all have our races ,our paths are different ,first to do no mean last man standing o. If anyone run past u ,do better than you or have anything u want and don’t have , just wave and say “I will catch up” see ya later”. Your process is important don’t be in a hurry if u do you would lose the ammunition, the instruments u need to sustain the greatness and happiness you pursue. #kaffynodeylookyatime #kaffygoneedyadime

A post shared by Kafayat Shafau-Ameh (@kaffydance) on

1. Toun

January 3, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Great advise

2. Kkay

January 3, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Kaffy, thanks for putting out this good message out there.

Depression is a sickness with an undertone of a sinister spiritual force.
    Please, if you are struggling with depression, reach out to someone and godly counselors, join a group of people that enjoy the same hobbies and recreational activities as you.
    Embrace more of the things that give you joy and peace.

Nigerian pastors and preachers, please teach your congregation the simple gospel of Christ – that godliness with contentment is great gain., to engage in honest hardworking and build a good reputation.
    I fear that the distortion of the gospel of Christ in Nigeria has pushed people towards materialism and mammonism.

Nigerians, if you have no business or cogent reason to be on Instagram, Snap chat, Facebook etc,, kindly do yourself a favor and get off it. Close your accounts, engage with your real life communities, associations and live your life in simplicity without exposing yourself to undue pressure from some fake people in a virtual world.

What is going to become of the next generation with this strange lifestyles that Nigerians pursue to the loss of the true values of life?

• Someonecute

January 4, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Thank you for this comment! so apt! For some reason, I refrain from posting some of my ‘worldly’ achievements on social media, I know the circle that I am in and some are still struggling, This life is a not a race. I don’t post because I don’t want to come off as showing off, I mean Nigerians are so bad for that, why do I need to announce to the world that my husband bought me a car, some will even tag instablog in their posts. Vanity, all is vanity! please let’s be sensitive of what we posts on SM. We should be more concerned about the wide gap between the rich and poor and help whichever way we can. If you’re going through depression, pls stay off SM like KkAY said and be content, work hard and be humble when your blessings come as well. It is a fact that most people are depressed because they want the life being put out there by their mates. They can’t have it and they wonder if the same God of those people is their God as well.

3. Kkay

January 3, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Bellanaija, please what are you going to do to revive your blog?
    Your followers have gone AWOL!
    This place is deathly quiet.

• adeshina

January 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm

So long as she post correct and accurate news that actually help people rather than fake news which aims to seek attention i am ente4nally grateful to her then.

4. Adeola

January 3, 2019 at 3:16 pm

The pressure from social media is real. Funny how me and my brother were discussing the same thing during the holidays that a lot of depression these days because people no longer want to go through the process. We want every thing quickly without going through the process. Then when before you only had to look around your immediate community to give you an idea of how much you are doing or not, now it’s an overload of information from both those close to you and strangers on how seemingly “behind” you are. Folks really need to learn how to run their own race without being bedazzled or distracted by the glitterati every where else…..

5. Amebo

January 3, 2019 at 6:38 pm

I find it interesting when ppl say they fought and WON depression. What is the yardstick of winning. Have you won because you haven’t been depressed in a week? 2 weeks? 30 years?

Depression is an ongoing battle. Like diabetics, once you have it, you may have to continue with your daily dose of insulin or have a significant life change for the rest of your life. Thankfully, it doesnt all have to be regular medications that gets your through it but a change in your lifestyle to improve your resilience capabity and ensure life challenges doesnt knock tyem down

• didi

January 4, 2019 at 11:07 am

I disagree with you, experiencing some mood swings or having some bad days is not the same as depression.. lets not confuse sadness for depression. All the same theres none thats healthy, whenever you become sad about something or someone ensure to deal with it that moment so it doesnt develop to depression.

• Seriously

January 4, 2019 at 3:58 pm

That’s a deception/bondage. It’s not an ongoing battle. I was on anti depressant medications and went to therapy twice a week. I thought, no way I can overcome this without this.
      Now, I don’t get depressed. Sadness is a natural feeling but being depressed is not natural and shouldn’t be an ongoing battle.
      I can’t fully explain what happened but I don’t get depressed at all anymore. Changing my mindset helped a lot. Being realistic and acceptance of things I can’t control. When I fee disappointed, sad I just accept it and just move on.

• Amebo

January 5, 2019 at 11:48 am

Just because you stop antidepressant doesnt mean you have stopped using a treatment . Your treatment is therapetical and non-medical. It is the making sure you try to keep positive and arming yourself with a series of activities (sleep/ meditations/ exercise / prayer etc) or ppl so at the first sign of depression. Whilst these activities might seem like a common everyday activities, they become a treatment if they are used as a lifeline to keep you from going into the deepend and if you need them regularly to “cope” with life because lack thereof will mean being depressed then you are under treatment and not cured.

I am not saying this because I am being mean but falsely believing you are cured when you arent will lead you to not being fully aware of your condition and can lead to disappointment when you relapse. It can also make others feel more depressed cuz they wonder why others are cured n they arent n if they are doing something wrong? Have you noticed how alcoholics dont say they are cured bylut are 1 week/ 20 years sober? Or those with eating disorder? Or most mental health issues. These guys are SURVIVORS of depression / eating disorders or whatever ails them.

• Ademo

January 4, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Please can you be positive, Depression can be overcome and is not an ongoing thing.

• Amebo

January 5, 2019 at 11:56 am

This is why most depressed ppl struggle in society. Because no matter what support society gives them, they keep thinking, wondering or outrightly asking them why they find it difficult to “overcome” it. antidepressants/ Being positive/ eating well/ sleeping well/ yoga/ therapy/ meditation will work for some but not all or may work for a season but not all. We need to support them as they try whatever they can to manage their depression.

6. Cocoa

January 3, 2019 at 11:59 pm

1 Thessalonians 4:11-13 Good News Translation (GNT)

“Make it your aim to live a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to earn your own living, just as we told you before. In this way you will win the respect of those who are not believers, and you will not have to depend on anyone for what you need.”

The wisdom of God is profitable.

7. I am confused

January 4, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Depression is a form of mental illness. It is not sadness that stems from jealous envy for not having what others have. Antony Bourdain and Kate Spade had everything one could dream of but still ended up committing suicide because of depression. Depression is managed like any other metal illness and can not be conquered. Please let us not confuse people.