News

Pastor Poju Oyemade shares his Position on the Biodun Fatoyinbo Rape Accusation

Pastor Poju Oyemade

Pastor Poju Oyemade, the Senior Pastor of Covenant Christian Centre (CCC) has shared what he says is his position on the rape allegation against Biodun Fatoyinbo, the Senior Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA) by Busola Dakolo.

Dakolo had accused Fatoyinbo of raping her twice when she was 16. Since then, people have been calling on the clergy to step down indefinitely.

Fatoyinbo also released a statement denying the accusation, adding that his lawyers are getting ready to sue his accusers.

Pastor Poju who first, empathised with Dakolo, said he contacted Fatoyinbo’s spiritual leader who said his position is that the COZA Pastor steps down indefinitely.

He said him and Fatoyinbo’s spiritual leader have three objectives, which are Justice, Healing, and Redemption.

Read the full statement below:

My position on the case.
I have been asked by many well meaning people about my position concerning the accusation of rape made against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo.

I could only watch the tape by Busola Dakolo for a few minutes, it was difficult to sit through it. From what I heard it is impossible not to be heart broken and sympathise with her. She must have gone through a lot and then to sit to tape her experience must have been very painful.

She is today a wife and mother of three to have to relive a 20yr old experience.

I immediately contacted the spiritual leader in the Body of Christ I believe Pastor Biodun defers in authority to, to wade into the issue and bring about a decision.
He informed me his position. It was that Pst Biodun should first step down from the pulpit indefinitely, suspend 7days of glory and make a public statement. These he made known to him directly in an hour.
This should serve as the first step. He informed me that was the position and asked my opinion.

We had 3 objectives in mind.
1. Justice
2. Healing
3. Redemption.

I have been informed that the decision to step down and cancel the 7 days of Glory have been made.
It is apparent that the manner in which our Pentecostal Churches were/are born with an individual receiving a call directly from God and we all operating largely as independent bodies, our governing structures are not as strong as in the orthodox church settings with the exemption of Pentecostal denominations where you are appointed a pastor and can be easily sanctioned.
This however makes it imperative that we go an extra mile to show a high level of compassion and sense of responsibility for people placed under our care or else what has brought our great growth may be what will destroy us.

For those who have been abused and exposed in our independent pentecostal structures, I deeply apologise and we will seek to build stronger structures through peer reviews and in our relationships.
Thank you and God bless you.

1. Zlatal 4U

July 1, 2019 at 11:21 am

God help us against all blacmailler ohhhh

2. Oyin

July 1, 2019 at 1:18 pm

For some reason I don’t believe this woman, she sounds like a scorned woman who was jilted for another and not over her fantasy. Seems her hubby is cannot live up to the fantasy forced her to claim rape. It sounds consent was given as a 16year old she has more sense. The second rape if it was should have been reported to her parents. Too many women go after powerful men and claim abuse when they don’t get what they want and that too is a reality globally. Men be careful and ensure you get signed consent before you touch a single woman, she might be your worst nightmare. I don’t believe this girl, she’s hurt like a broken hearted woman not a raped one. Sorry don’t buy it

• Connie

July 1, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Comments like these is the reasons why rape victims don’t come forward. I seriously hope you will leave sentiments aside and grow some sense.
      If you watched the interview properly will hear that she did mention it to her family members and some church pastors. The pastors came to her house to beg and to keep everything hush, hush.

Secondly why would she feel scorned and jilted? What makes you think her husband is not living up to expectations? She is a happily married woman with 3 beautiful children and they seem to be doing well. You wouldn’t understand the Hurt and pain she has been enduring all these years. She mentioned that she was saving herself for marriage when the rapist of a pastor came to take advantage of her. Isn’t that enough to cause a lifetime of pain and anger seeing the so called pastor preaching everyday and claiming righteousness?

Trust me many women especially young women have stories for days on how men manipulate and take advantage of their innocence. They may not fully realize at the time but later on as they get older the whole thing replays back and it starts to make sense.

I will encourage you and not curse you to keep an eye on your children especially your daughters least they wont have similar experiences as Mrs. Dakolo.

• Tony

July 1, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Whether rape or not, it’s an offense to have sex with a minor. A footballer in England got jailed for having oral sex with a minor even though she gave her consent. I think his name is Adam Johnson.

• Zinny

July 1, 2019 at 2:27 pm

As in…you sound like a 16 year old girl….please do not talk when adults are talking.

• Ajala & Foodie

July 1, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Did you really just write down that consent was given BY a 16 year old? When I tell people we are only a reflection of our government, they will be acting confused. My people it is people like this that allows our elected leaders sit around and vote on underage marriage because people like Oyin here do not see anything wrong with pedophilia. They complain about the government on topics they believe suit them or when it does not involve people they like or “religion”. But let a real case be brought forward their true thoughts begin to come forth.

You think the woman is the one that does not have sense? Or had more sense 2 decades ago. On what premise have you decided that herself and her husband have some made up idea that they both cannot live up to? If anyone is making up anything it is most likely you. You do not know Busola or her husband and nothing that has been said indicates this either. You on the other hand has cooked up this whole idea in your little corner of the world and in your mind claimed it to be the truth. Taking it a step further by putting it online to further propagate. Now pause for a moment and ponder on that.

We are allowed to pick sides. It is human nature but please try to based on facts rather than emotions. More so, if you have to cook up your stories to support your allegiance then maybe you should be checking yourself.

Lastly, if we are going to see true change it will entail revamping everything in our society including practices in our places of worship. Accountability will have to knock on every single door in our country. The truth, most are not ready for that change, they think they are but when reality like this presents itself, you quickly realize they are not.

• AfroDiva 237

July 1, 2019 at 2:31 pm

@Oyin,
      I hear your doubt and I would like to say that it is possible, even at 18 to be assaulted in the manner described and still not say anything.

I haven’t watched the video, but your comment triggered something.

Unfortunately, rapists (particularly those in cases like these) come from close circles, which adds to the complexities for the victim. Who is going to believe you when you tell them your Cousin/Father/Uncle/Nanny assaulted you? Who’s going to believe you?
      And then it happens again? Nah … No way now, anyone’s going to believe you. So, the years roll by and you try to live your life until something happens and you realise, you haven’t addressed that issue at all and the effect of that has exhibited itself in ways you never realised.

If, as you say, she was a scorned girl acting out against this person, why would said pastor put himself in the position to be alone with her or any other female again after her first ‘advances’ toward him. Surely, he must have wanted to to try to ‘protect himself’ from any allegations by making sure he was never alone with any female, especially a minor!

When I go to see my doctor and he has to perform an examination that involves clothes coming off, HE requests for a nurse to be present, and I am absolutely accepting of that.

People like that use that power of authority to prey on their victims. Do you believe the altar boys who called out the perpetrators who abused them? Were they too scorned lovers?

What about a friend of mine who disclosed that he was sexually touched by his nanny, as a kid. He had never said anything to anyone – who was going to believe that a strapping specimen of a man like him carried the effects of that assault on a 6 year old him.

To open your mouth after so many years and talk about what happened was no easy feat. I applaud her. To have some people (especially those closest) believe her, is a relief.

I know what it’s like to speak about something like that and have the person you’re disclosing ask if you wanted it because you were abused twice by the same person or look at you like you were a fast girl.

Anyways, Oyin, predators continue to prey in our society because the victims are never believed. Were all those other independent disclosures also scorned lovers?
      You may not believe her, but ask yourself – she appears to be in a good place in her life (kids, husband, family, friends, business), why would she risk that and subject all of those people and herself to today’s scrutiny over scorned love at 16.

• Anny

July 1, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Oyi you are a mad somebody stupid person

• Anonymous

July 1, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Oyin you are beyond stupid. You are what they call a fool and a fucktard. Agreed that Fatoyinbo should not be judged by the court of public opnion, but you saying that Mrs Dakolo is a woman scorned just shows how small minded you are and how foolish you think.

I as a man, know men that talk about raping girls, no means no, i know of boys in my university back in the days whose MO is to rape girls at whatever cost necessary, i also have a family member who was raped by her boss in one of the big banks in Lagos, she was a virgin and got pregnant from that ordeal and the pregnancy had to be terminated.

So for you to hide behind your keyboard and spew this rubbish is not only a slap on the faces of millions of women that have gone through similar experiences, but your affirmation that a woman raped brought it on herself, or that so called big men are the victims here.

Fucking asshole you are

• godwin

July 1, 2019 at 3:10 pm

I bu onye ara.Fxxk off

• Miss Smart

July 1, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Disgust is the emotion I feel reading your words.

I pray for your immediate healing.

Get well soon.

• Concerned

July 1, 2019 at 5:23 pm

When you have your daughter and she turns 16 and tells you she gave consent to have sex with an older man, I hope you stick to your advice : don’t go after the man for rape. Let your 16 yr old daughter know she should not go after older men….

You are sadly a part of the problem if you don’t know….

• Seyi

July 2, 2019 at 6:28 am

May God forgive you people

• Bosky

July 2, 2019 at 7:20 am

l don’t know if you are a Christian or not but the Bible never wanted us to have sex out of wedlock, so even if it wasn’t a rape case like you said, he is still not good enough for a pastor to have sex out of wedlock.

3. benson

July 1, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Oyin you are very stupid.

• Californiabawlar

July 1, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Her and the five people that have liked her comment so far.

p.s. this Oyin is the mentally unstable one who obviously has rape fantasies herself and is doing some titanic sized projection.
      Abi? How can something like that even cross a persons mind if it’s not warped.
      Were alaso proper.

4. OA

July 1, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Okay I like the tutelage of the spiritual leader and Oyemade. I also like the use of the word “indefinitely.”

@Oyin — Clearly, some people have a heart of stone. Did we watch the same video? Honestly, I am sure the devil is just so excited by the number of people who will keep him company in hell. How can anyone even come out and parlay their stupid presumptions about this case in this manner? She gave her consent indeed.

When your daughter turns 16, make sure you drop her off at a motel where truck drivers hang out or if you live in Lagos, take her to Ojuelegba. You must be on steroids. To even deduce that the reason she is coming out is because her husband what again?!

So she was broken-hearted 20 years ago abi and has not gotten over it. This is a woman who after being raped, was invited by Fatoyinbo’s wife to care for their baby overnight, yet obliged despite hurting deep down inside. This is a woman who chose to sleep in Fatoyinbo’s wife’s bedroom rather than in the guest room for fear of being violated again. Yet you come here and say she didn’t get what she wanted, hence her coming out. May the good Lord forgive you.

5. Adetutu Akinsanya

July 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm

This is a classic example of iyan Ogun odun to Jo ni lowo. This brings a lot of mixed feeling and very strong warning to every one (watch what you do today it may just come back to hunt you). I pray Busola finds the closure she’s looking for, Pastor Biodun & indeed the church getting healing & redemption.

6. Adetutu

July 1, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Bella pls I don’t want my real name on the comment above can u edit for me.

7. Anonymous

July 2, 2019 at 12:07 am

I do not point fingers to any one. Let God be the judge. If the alleged say ‘ I have never forcefully…..before’ Could this be interpreted has consent was given….no r…p? Also, if the accuser say ‘I didn’t struggle….I just left him’…..could this mean also to give consent?
    I pray that everyone that have been wounded directly or passively with this report finds healing in Christ.