News

The Harrowing Story that has Twitter Talking about Birth Control & Safe Abortions

BellaNaija.com

You’ve probably read about it already: the 22-year-old woman who has been arrested for allegedly drowning her baby in a bucket of water.

According to Punch, this took place in Ipaja, Lagos, with the woman writing a note to her sister about why she drowned the baby.

What’s especially harrowing is her explanation on why she carried out the crime she’s confessed to:

The reason for the drastic decision is lack of financial help. I was tired and ashamed. When I gained admission to study law at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, I got pregnant and deferred my admission, which I later lost.

So killing my baby and losing my admission have a connection. I felt I would be free if I kill her and would be able to go anywhere I like and no one would disturb me that I had a daughter outside wedlock.

She explained that the father of the baby, a guy she took JAMB lessons with, refused the pregnancy, and her father counselled her against an abortion.

With the story spreading through Twitter, folks have been discussing the importance of contraceptives and safe abortions.

It’s a difficult conversation, especially in light of what has happened—a child losing her life, murdered by a mother whose life as she knows it has also ended. But it’s also a very important conversation.

See what people on Twitter are saying:

1. Smith

May 13, 2020 at 11:16 am

It’s a sad story. Only God’s kingdom will solve our problems

2. zzzzzzzzzzz

May 13, 2020 at 5:29 pm

I can see some advocating for abortion. Abortion and what did are one and the same. All she would have just done was put the baby up for adoption or leave it at a church or hospital and they will know what to do.

• Amakashie

May 14, 2020 at 2:09 am

Simple use of condom could have prevented this.

• Gift

May 14, 2020 at 8:17 am

More sexual health education should be taught in schools,on TV stations &on the radio,that pregnancy would havr been avoided if she used a condom or a morning after pill

• didi

May 14, 2020 at 8:55 am

If you want to encourage people to accept jesus christ JUST SAY IT, why mincing words? Are u afraid to sound like a christian? What is Gods kingdom saving us ohh bikonu hmm

• didi

May 14, 2020 at 9:06 am

@zzzzzzzz please look at them, the only twitter response @BELLANAIJA saw was the one for ABORTION so the life of the child who already has a heartbeat is not relevant? Why cant you encourage abstinence?
      Can we not teach our girls to close their legs and focus on their studies? We should have a more dignified establishment willing to cater for children like this while she goes to school. I will not encourage adoption but an organization that stands in the gap till girls like this become fully matured to take back their children.

3. Anonymous

May 13, 2020 at 5:33 pm

Legalizing abortion thereby taking a life of an innocent child. All she needed was a counselling

4. Concerned

May 14, 2020 at 12:56 am

Why didn’t she just drop the baby at a motherless baby’s home or give it up for adoption. What she did was beyond horrible

• didi

May 14, 2020 at 9:12 am

Please dont blame her,obviously she is not informed and she really looks naive. I blame every woman here in nigeria who see young girls like this in their community and turn the other way.