Scoop

“How Does A Heart Break Twice?” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Pours Out Her Heart In Emotional Tribute After Losing Her Mum

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is sharing the devastation she’s feeling after losing her mum, Grace Ifeoma Adichie, months after losing her dad.

“How Does A Heart Break Twice?,” she captioned her Instagram post, which included two pictures of her and her mum, as well as a heartfelt letter.

Paying tribute to her mum, she described her as a “warm, loving, funny, kind, and quick-witted, beautiful mother. Unconditional supporter and cheerleader of her children, fun and funny, source of delicious sarcasm, style icon, so sharply observant she never missed a thing.”

She wrote of how her mother became ill and died on March 1st, her late dad’s birthday:

On Saturday her driver drove her to Mass. Sunday evening she was unwell. She was taken to a private hospital in Awka. We were worried, but a few hours later, she was better, sitting up, eating rice. On the phone I told her. “We love you, Mummy, try and rest.”

The next morning, the doctor sent an update to say she was doing even better. But moments later, he took the sudden bewildering decision to transfer her to the Teaching Hospital, she was hastily moved. He claimed the Teaching Hospital had better facilities. “Do my children know I’m being transferred?” she said to have asked. Two hours after, she arrived at the Teaching Hospital, she died. It was March 1st, my father’s birthday.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and the Adichie family.

Photo Credit: chimamanda_adichie

1. Ify

April 29, 2021 at 6:44 am

Our beloved Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie I’m so sorry for your loss. May God almighty keep you and your family covered in his warm embrace always ijn. May your wonderful mother rest in peace🙏🏼 heaven has gained an angel

2. Kafayat

April 29, 2021 at 3:09 pm

He transferred her to a Nigerian Teaching hospital? For which better facilities? To be run by doctors on strike or with their own clinics that they focus on. He knew something was up he wasn’t equipped to deal with. Sending her there was a death sentence. With all her kids abroad, if anything she should have been flown abroad or SA at the very least. My dad died in a Teaching hospital with “better facilities.” See how the brain drain affects us all. We are in the “abroad” gathering money and accolades, but our loved ones are dying back home. Our hearts break and we walk around like robots trying to cope with our losses back home…

3. Stephen Abraham

April 29, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I am very sorry to read about your mom’s dead. May her soul rest in peace. May God give you all the comfort that you need at this dark day. I have never met you but i have seen o lots of you life video. Just comfort yourself that you got to live with your mother for many years. I lost my mom when I was three years old. May God be with you and your 👪. My name is Abiodun.

4. Ray

April 29, 2021 at 10:51 pm

@Chimamanda may the good Lord strengthen you and your family at this moment. So sorry. 😥

5. Chenyamejoy

May 1, 2021 at 1:57 am

Ohhhh…Chimamanda I felt the shadow of your pain.
    You are at a place where only a few can speak about…a space where the pain lives.
    Exhale when you are ready…healing awaits your heart, sunshine awaits your face.

6. Elizabeth Awagu

May 8, 2021 at 9:20 am

I am deeply touched as I read your tribute to your dear mum. When I was in NAFDAC with your sister Uche, her mum was always on her lips. She will always say, “Aunty me, you remind me of my mum”, because of my complexion. Please be consoled as well as Uche and your other siblings. The Lord is with all of you. It is the turn of the family to pick the batton where your parents stopped. I wish you all the best. Pharm. (Mrs.) Elizabeth Awagu