Who Will Wear The Crown? African Beauties at the 2010 Miss Universe Pageant

It seems like just yesterday but it has already been a year since the last Miss Universe competition. Once again, our beauty queens from all around Africa have converged to compete for the most lucrative crown in the global beauty queen industry – Miss Universe.

This year the competition takes place in Las Vegas, USA. The girls have already arrived and are participating in various activities and contests ahead of the main event which will take place on the 23rd of August 2010.

Ngozi Odalonu, the 1st runner up from the 2010 Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) pageant is representing Nigeria. With her athletic body and pretty face, we believe she has a good chance, what do you think?

African queens have won the Miss Universe crown three times – Miss South Africa in 1978, Miss Namibia in 1992 and Miss Botswana in 1999.

Do any of the African Queens stand a chance?

Take a walk down memory lane – Check out BellaNaija.com’s coverage of Miss Universe over the years

Miss Universe 2006Feature 1 | Feature 2
Miss Universe 2007Feature 1
Miss Universe 2008Feature
Miss Universe 2009Feature 1 | Feature 2| Feature 3
MBGN 2010Feature
Nigeria – Ngozi Odalonu – 22

Angola – Jurema Ferraz – 25

Botswana – Tirelo Ramasedi – 21

Egypt -Donia Hammed – 22

Ghana – Awurama Simpson – 22

South Africa – Nicole Flint -22

Tanzania – Hellen Dausen – 23

Zambia – Alice Musukwa – 22

__________________________________________________________________________________________

83 Comments on Who Will Wear The Crown? African Beauties at the 2010 Miss Universe Pageant
  • KemiPen August 18, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Miss Tanzania is lookin’ fab with her short natural hair…Yep! I used the iLLegal phrase “Natural Hair”…U go Gurl!!!
    It would definitely be amazing if she does advance to the final rounds…Miss Universe with short hair…Wow!!! Hell has frozen..LOL
    Anyhows, to my Beautiful African Women…Good luck…!!!!!!

• Qees August 19, 2010 at 11:11 am

She is in my Uni so i am so voting for her

• jay August 18, 2010 at 12:14 pm

no matter how good we think she may look Africa does not stand a chance pagents are political and a lot of racisim .dont bother to give me the Agbani thing. its a white thing when it comes to international pagents

• KemiPen August 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Well, my friend, sometimes we need to block that part of reality out and hope that there would be a turn around…Unarguably, racism exist, however, there’s glimpse of hope that these present day Goliaths can be conquered…
      I still believe…

• juls August 19, 2010 at 9:40 am

Tanzania looks beautiful.

• omogekofo August 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm

WHO NOTICED….???? THE GHANA GIRL HAS GOT REAL CURVES…………LOVE HER SO MUCH.
    ALTHOUGH AM NIGERIAN.

• Beto Suarez August 19, 2010 at 3:08 am

Im mexican and I love miss ghana too.

• Blossom August 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

I know o! Miss Ghana has gat it going ON! …And, I’m Nigerian, too.

• maame April 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

lol yupp she got the curves.. :)

• omogekofo August 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

AND I FINK THE ZAMBIA GIRL WILL TAKE FIRST FROM THE END….SERIOUS

• Ms. Jayee August 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

ahan!!! are they this fresh???

• Ginika August 18, 2010 at 12:29 pm

The Ghanian girl is gorgeous and the Nigerian babe is okay and the Bots girl!

• Jan August 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm

The girl representing Naija has a very striking look and the kind of body most judges at such an international event might prefer. I’m rooting for her..great cheekbones

• Getyourown August 18, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Omo, see weave galour. I am not against it but couldn’t someone fix a fro weave (don’t give me that Africans have versatile hair bla bla bla). We have lost individuality. We won’t take the crown even though we start sprouting brazilian hair from our necks. Although the judges are racist, we give them nothing to marvel at. We want to look like everyone else.

• LadyTee August 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Miss Nigeria looks lovely. However, my money is on Ghana! She is gorgeous!

• Eno August 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Wow! lovely looking hotties!
    I think i should go into weave production: i’d make a killing, from the look of things
    they are also rocking some beeeeed shoes.
    May the best gal win

• Nma August 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

does it mean that black chicks don finish for south africa or wetin? I notice this trend of white chicks mostly repping them at these beauty contests. Nothing wrong with either race repping but this is becoming too frequent. Funny…as soon as i saw the chick i just said “i bet she’s repping SA…” and indeed she was! lol.

• Sarah August 18, 2010 at 7:18 pm

i totaly agree. miss south africa rep are always whites or mixed raced. to me white South africans are not africans and the are freaking racists

• Peter August 20, 2010 at 8:58 am

To all you racist and narrow minded people commenting on SA; get a life and over the racist issue! We are all proud africans in this country including our white miss SA! We are the beautiful country that keeps this continent going. The country that keeps the economy going on this continent. The first world country that hosted the fifa world cup this year. The country that developed and grew with all 11 cultures and languages to the what it is today. Get rid of your insecurities and adopt the true african spirit of growth and prosperity.

• Ready April 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Lol…Peter, really? really? So what your economy is the largest in Africa today? Boo, let me tell you…if your existing level of crime (which is already high by the way) and AIDS-population get much higher than they already are (very likely), capital is out the door. If Black people whose literacy rate is 33% compared to white South Africans whose literacy rate is 88% get so upset and demand equality in your “proud African country that keeps the continent growing”, guess what happens? Yep…capital flight.
        Don’t come on here trying to get us behind “first country that hosted the World Cup” nonsense. So what? Did that solve your social problems? You think we’re ignorant to the fact that your white “Afrikaan” (WTF is that by the way?) population controls virtually all the important utilities and industries in your country? Basically, if the Black population became too restless, SA becomes a shell of its previous self.
        Wanting the best for all South Africans–yes, including the marginalized Black people–should not tag me as a racist. I just hate that a South African who is either ignorant of the reality in your country or chooses to turn a blind eye dares to come on here and tell us to forget about race relations in a country that is so obviously unjust. Economic growth does not negate the presence of a huge disparity; as for the whole “keep the continent going”, Botswana is doing wonderfully, Nigeria’s GDP growth rate is higher than that of your country. Just stating facts…if you don’t like us pointing out the problems in your country, build a bridge and get over it, or hug a nuclear reactor.

• Bravebird August 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

For goodness sakes, get over this weave debate, my natural hair is difficult to manage full stop. A weave helps me get out the door and look presentable in half the time it would take to settle my own hair and get that looking presentable too. I don’t even know why I am offering an explanation but just trying to make the point, sometimes weave-wearing is not as deep for everyone as it is for some people. Sure, some people genuinely have self image issues but I am tired of the generalization! Live and let weave, if you don’t like it look away!

Hmph! Ok rant over :)

• ink August 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I don’t know why there are these so-called beauty pageants still going on in the world!!!
      They promote plastic surgery to get more European features, having straight hair, wearing hair extensions, being tall and being thin.
      Because that’s what 90% of the girls have/do.
      Latin Americans and Asians straighten their hair too, its not only a Nigerian phenomenon. It’s just that the changes we have to make for our hair to achieve the look that is THEIR(Europeans’) NATURAL look is the most drastic.
      To further my point, the Dominican blowout and Japanese hair relaxer are two of the most effective straightening methods in the US. If you don’t know, just Google.
      Instead of celebrating diversity, these pageants promote the Eurocentric standard of beauty (big boobs, slim waist, straight hair, even by having a height requirement (the Dutch and the Danes for example, Europeans are THE tallest in the world), while we all know East Asians especially are short.
      It is a shame that we let young women be judged in a ‘standard’ of another race’s features in 2010. It’s a shame that we think weave, and essentially, European type hair is more ‘glamorous’, ‘presentable’ and other adjectives used to describe this look. By claiming it has no social significance, it has become the norm, to the extent that an 18-year-old told me, “I always knew weave will be my future.”
      Evidently, it has set a bad example on girls, who don’t know how to nourish and take care of their own natural God made selves. If natural hair is unmanageable, it is because one does not want to educate one’s self on how to manage it. It is 2010 y’all, we have too much information to use that as an excuse. If European hair is more ‘presentable’, what does that make natural African hair, ‘unpresentable’/rough/ugly maybe???
      I respect that weaves and extensions SHOULD be a styling alternative. But by using such adjectives to describe it, we are telling our daughters, nieces and younger friends that weave IS their future.
      Let’s stop lying to ourselves. It’s not JUST hair. It it was, then we wouldn’t see someone as more/less presentable because of it, more or less glamorous because of it, we won’t judge how rich a woman or her husband is by her use of Premium Yaki, Noble Gold, Sleek or Brazilian hair.
      Don’t lie to yourself.
      Girl, you know you judge. Shoot, I do too! ;)
      Most people do not place natural/short relaxed hair on the same level as they place weave.
      If you do, then that’s when weave is just weave, simply a styling alternative.
      When you don’t, you’ve bought into the Euro standard of beauty hook, line and sinker. And I pray you save yourself before you drown.

Peace.

• THE AMAKA August 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Tanzanians are known to have rocked the short hair in the past. well Flaviana Matata was bald and she was still cute.
        i believe she made it in the top 15
        AMEN!!! lol

• Ujubaby August 18, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I couldn’t even read ur comment, anh anh it’s 2 long, ha, wish I have an idea of wat u said tho’!

• Zobam August 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm

At last, happy to see someone who who shares my sentiment about this whole weave business. You couldn’t have said it any better. Your points are well articulated and very constructive. It is high time we start to regard and appreciate our natural hair and only use weaves and extentions as “styling alternatives”

• mercy August 19, 2010 at 7:44 am

I like this

• missy-spectacularrr September 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

*yawn* enuf already!

• Dee August 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Ghana , all the way……..

• elisa August 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm

none of them stand a chance. Miss Ghana is striking. Miss Naija self no bad at all.

• anonymous August 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm

botswana girl has a very “tight” bod. Dont know about the nigerian girl. Honestly most international beauty pagent are usually political….and there is a way you must look so keeping my fingers crossed for Africa. looking forward to seeeing the show though

• Ms. Jayee August 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Nigeria, Botswana, Ghana and Zambia

• Geekgirl August 18, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Miss Ghana looks like Bella disu

• Geekgirl August 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm

@ bravebird, I have natural hair but i totally feel your comment!Natural hair can be difficult to manage and weaves save you time and energy on the long run.It however will be nice if people played with both their natural hair and weaves…but as you said enough of the debate o jare!

• Yt "Boss" August 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

The Ghanian babe is gorgeous with a capital G!

• mee August 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

My favourite is Ms. Tanzania. I hope she goes far. Ms. Nigeria has amazing cheekbones.

• Livvy August 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Miss Ghana is S-W-E-E-T!!!! I love her

• THE AMAKA August 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

sigh….Miss Nigeria….she looked better at the MBGN competition. WHAT IS HAPPENING? Nigeria has been slipping in all the beauty pageants for the past 2 years.
    Miss Botswana is THE BEST.
    Ghana always goes to the US to find their representative. for the past 3-4 years the girl has been a Ghanaian-American. well i guess thats how they do things.
    South Africa is the same old, always picking a white or “biracial/colored” girl.
    and the point of always including Egypt?????

• Merley August 19, 2010 at 10:22 am

your point being?
      Does being bircial make you less of a South African? or only half a south-african?
      or does being ghanaian-american make one less of a ghanaian?

• THE AMAKA August 20, 2010 at 2:59 am

you obviously missed the point. south africa ALWAYS picks a white girl to represent them. it doesnt matter that they pick white girls, but its HOW OFTEN they do it. 9/10 the girl represnenting them would be white. and if the girl is non-white she is usually biracial. doesnt this seem wrong in a country where at least 80% of its citizens are black African?
        and neither did i say it was wrong that they pick Ghanaian-Americans. but are there no beautiful girls in Ghana to contest?
        AND DID I SAY THAT MADE THEM “LESS” ANYTHING?????
        STOP TRYING TO MAKE AN ISSUE OUT OF NOTHING.
        dont reply my comments with your wahala.

• stephanie August 20, 2010 at 11:38 pm

merley, amaka’s point is that usually , blacks mixed with whites tend to be more beautiful than plain blacks, as for ghana’s own, they should bring out a purely ghanaian girl and trust me she wouldn’t be able to stand next to any of these girls

• Ijé August 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm

OK I’m loving Miss Tanzania’s look. Not only because of her hair but also her features, particularly her nose. The media propagates Anglo features as beautiful. Even when black models are shown they tend to have Anglo features: thin/pointy noise, straight long hair, and not many curves.
    @Bravebird I understand what you are saying about your personal experience but look at the message it is sending to young black girls who watch such pageants. Basically that “most beautiful” African women who have been chosen to represent the continent all have weaves. Does that mean their natural hair is not considered beautiful? As people keep mentioning these pageants are so political so it is important to embrace our own natural features.

• THE AMAKA August 18, 2010 at 7:13 pm

you are totally right. they all tend to look like (what i call ) “white girls dipped in chocolate”

• ego August 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Please, can we see a picture of you and your hair? thanks.

• aggie August 19, 2010 at 1:38 am

If a Black person has so-called Anglo features then doesn’t that show that those features are not limited to whites, but are part of the features found amongst Blacks? This is a touchy issue for me as I’m a dark-skinned Black person that’s been told that I have a white nose and those saying this come across to me as if I should jump up and down with glee at this bit of news. I say tufiakwa!! WTH is a white nose? I’m Black and if my nose is like this that is part of my Black heritage, period, and white people have nothing to do with it…my Black parents from West Africa did.

• Didi August 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Botswana and Ghana.

• D.O.T.M.H. August 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Zambia (not in that exact order) I think it’s Tanzania’s bikini pose that caught my eye though but fingers crossed for Nigeria. Yes we can!!

• D.O.T.M.H. August 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm

p.s- if ur natural hair is strong like olumo rock and u don’t have the patience to “care for it” as we r always advised to, then relaxers and weaves are the way forward fullstop

• missy-spectacularrr September 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm

thank you jare! My hair is so hard it broke a comb-when i was 3 yrs old! some1 will come and tell me go natural balderwash…mschwww

• Ready April 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Lol…I understand the whole coarse hair thing, but trust me, it’s not so hard. And this is coming from someone who’s had numerous combs broken in her hair. If relaxers and its baggage are your preference, it’s all good. Still, I just wanna throw it out there that contrary to popular belief, taking care of natural hair is not difficult once you get the hang of moisturizing it which only takes a few days and the right natural products. Wash–condition–add leave in conditioner–seal with oil–style. It’s that easy.

• D.O.T.M.H. August 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm

one more thing, lol, sorry, BN I can’t view replies to people’s comments even after clicking and clicking. #okbye

• OmoOduduwa August 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I hear a lot of talk about racism..but is is??..it’s financed by Europeans so the ideal in their eyes are women that epitomize european beauty..essentially all other races have to find those women in their culture that follow this mode of beauty..
    Enough Talk..why can’t we have our own “Black” or Ethnic Miss Universe of sorts..we have all this beautiful drop dead gorgeous women in Africa..Caribbean and America that would make a gay man go straight!!…until then keep waiting for the scraps that happen every 10 years or so..

• OmoOduduwa August 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Oh Forgot..all our reps look gorgeous but look the same…you can hardly differentiate one from the other..well apart from Miss Tanzania.she might progress just for being original..natural..did I say…

• Joohls August 18, 2010 at 9:34 pm

they all look nice including miss white SA. but i’m not feeling that our naija babe o. she’s fine but she’s not representing at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. miss ghana and botswana FTW!

• tony August 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Well i ve been following this years miss universe as usual, despite the nigerian girl has no experince and she cant take profectional shots, why is it that nigeria is always at the bottom in rating every year of miss universe becuase we nigerian dont log in to rate… well i know nigeria is going no where.

• ps88 August 19, 2010 at 3:06 am

Watch an exclusive interviews with Miss universe2009,Stefania Fernandaz, Miss USA, Rima Fakih, Miss Haiti, Miss Colombia, Miss Australia and many more:

• mercy August 19, 2010 at 7:56 am

Mis Tanzania is my favourite!! the girl is natural, she aint white, latin or whatever dipped in chocolate. For African Beauties, lets be real African ………yeah u call it new world but where we came from was real Gold..

Otherwise i wish the best for all, with my favourite on the first lane.

• THE AMAKA August 19, 2010 at 8:19 am

@aggie, true, true, true
    but its not to say Africans dont posess these features, but it still fits under the “eurocentric standard of beauty” so a lot of people find girls that fit this “standard” just to be able to compete in this international pageant run by white people. they’re just trying to live up to the “standard”

*i wish i could reply to her directly, but i know you wont see it since that “view replies button” isn’t working. lol

• Adora August 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

The Ghana babe is fierce!!!

• olawunmi... August 19, 2010 at 11:53 am

miss nigeria is aite, but miss ghana and miss botswana re absolutely gorgeous…

• Dina August 19, 2010 at 6:18 pm

it remains to be seen whether Miss Universe will be a black african…………..

• LeighJoy August 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Best African delegate: Miss Ghana

My pick for Miss Universe 2010: Miss Trinidad & Tobago

• Tomisin August 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm

We already know the winner is coming from Venezuela. Those girls are gorgeous and have won twice in a row. But I really want an African to win. Miss Ghana has a good chance. she’s pretty.

• Bola August 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Angola is lovely, I wish the African beauties best of luck!

• dineo August 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm

goooooooo Botswana! make us and the whole of africa proud once again!! its a year for africa, its time for africa!

• THE AMAKA August 20, 2010 at 3:00 am

@Merley, seeing that the “view replies” button won’t work….

AND DID I SAY THAT MADE THEM “LESS” ANYTHING?????
    STOP TRYING TO MAKE AN ISSUE OUT OF NOTHING.
    dont reply my comments with your wahala.

• aggie August 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm

@ THE AMAKA,
    I do acknowledge your point that these competitions seem to favor only those Blacks that approximate the white standard of beauty (which most white people don’t even meet). Now that I think about it, these beauty contests favor women that approximate the white standard of beauty, whether they be Indian, Chinese, Aborigine, etc. Think about it people, the only standard of beauty that we have been taught is the white one. What is the black standard of beauty? Can anyone answer that for me. In fact, what is the Chinese standard, the Aborigine standard, and so forth. Whites have managed to convince a whole lot of people that if you don’t look like them then you are ugly.

• ted August 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm

they are all rare african beauties and ambassasors no doubt, pls dont look at beauty alone.look at their eyes and soul.then u can make up your mind.even wth all the makeup and photoshop on all the contestants faces and body, i still think MISS TANZANIA and S.A got what it take to represent the continent..whatcha think?

• clairebaby August 20, 2010 at 10:02 pm

are these beauty queens or models? surely there has to be a difference…..and what breed of beauty queens is naija breeding these days….the recent beauty queens certainly lack the oomph, glamour and goddess-like beauty former queens like bianca, nike, binta, toyin, helen and even agbani possessed…i’ll root for miss ghana-she’s got fabulous curves and a pretty face……also miss Angola she’s got a rare exotic kind of beauty.

• JC August 21, 2010 at 12:53 am

@THE AMAKA and @Sarah
    Get your facts straight before you start spouting nonsense. In the last decade only 4 of the SA girls were Caucasian and 2 were coloureds. And your problem with including Egypt is what? Last I saw they are in Africa.
    All that rubbish of putting one’s rep down needs to stop. So she’s white? So Ghana’s rep might live in the states? Big deal. Build a bridge and get over it. We should be proud of and support all our African ladies, whether they are Black, White, Arab or whatever.
    As for Sarah’s comment of white South Africans being racists, get your head out of the sand, there is racism all round from a whole lot of different quarters. While some people are actually wanting and willing to overcome it, its people like yourself who keep are fighting to stay divided.

On a happier note, Miss Nigeria has got such a beautiful smile, her whole face lights up. Love it.
    But still proudly SA, go Nicole :)

• Dina August 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm

cool down JC- I think The AMAKA is right- Egypt is in Africa as ypu rightly observed but Egyptians don’t call themselves Africans- they only call themselves Africans during the world cup or in international beauty pageants. Egypt has a large population of dark-skinned people but they have never picked a dark skinned beauty queen as Miss Egypt. As for South Africa, they have had successes in international beauty pageants regardless of their representative’s skin color- the beauty of the rainbow nation is reflected in Miss South Africa winners such as Sonia Raciti (of indian descent), Claudia Henkle (of dutch descent), Tatum Keshwar (of south Indian descent), Tansey Coetzee (mixed descent), Vanessa Carreira (of Portuguese descent) and Pegge Sue Khumalo (of black African descent)

• Ready April 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

JC, I would put more effort into responding you, but you referred to Black people as coloreds. That word right there just lets me know to save my energy and throw you in the stuck-in-the-60s’ lost cause pile. Before anyone comments that that’s what they call ‘em in South Africa, be warned that you’ll only be empowering my argument.

• Sugabelly August 21, 2010 at 12:58 am

Are we surprised that Miss South Africa is ONCE AGAIN white? No.

How shameful that only one of the African contestants has natural hair.

• THE AMAKA August 21, 2010 at 5:03 am

@JC you guys are reading too much into what i wrote! sheesh! and i dont know what you’re talking about because only two of the representatives for Miss South Africa have been black african SINCE THIS WHOLE PAGEANT STARTED and that was in 1993 and 1994. why is that so in a country where at least 80% of its citizens are black African???? and i can see you are South African…SMDH. but going by your comment you’re probably biracial or white, because i cant believe a black South African would agree to be degraded every year in these pageants.
    and didn’t aparthied end about 15 years ago? don’t let some silly thing on a paper fool you. RACISM IS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE!

*and I only pointed out that Miss Ghana for the last three years has been Ghanaian-American. did i say it was an issue? stop reading too much into what a write. maybe YOU should build a bridge and get over YOURSELF.

• sam J August 21, 2010 at 9:05 pm

@amaka…go girl I live and work in S.a so pathetic that when it comes to building bridges and moving on the blacks are quick to 4get all the years of oppression and patched things with the white..but 4 the whites NO WAY! they instigate the black ppl against themselves and trust the short sighted blacks dey worship anything white.
    My opinion we Africans shld forget all this competitions that dnt favour us no matter hw our efforts..let’s compete amongst ourselve…our children are growing up celebrating anything white has optimatum for beauty,this has to stop pls pls pls.

• fon August 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

Ghana alllllllllllllllllllllllllll d way! Hehehehehehehe

• fon August 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

Ghana alllllllllllllllllllllllllll d way! Hehehehehehehe m naija in btw

• BB August 24, 2010 at 10:01 am

You guys are just as bad! Nicole was born and bred in South Africa, and that dear Africans, makes her equally African! Quit with all this drama! our SA candidate, Matapa Maila didn’t win because of one thing: AGE! She has entered Miss SA three times and alwasy place in teh top three- another factor is that her English was not good enough and since we would also like to win international pageants, we chose Nicole who really had the whole package. Pity about the nasty evening dresses by Malcom Kluk. If she was wearing David Tlale, we were guaranteed a top 5 finish!

• aggie August 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm

@JC
    White South Africans are racist and I will stand by that statement any day. I have traveled there and felt the hate. I will not be going back. Beautiful country with regards to the geography, but it is not worth the wahala of dealing with racist white people. Life is too short to waste trying to justify my skin color to individuals that are not my GOD and don’t pay my mortgage. As for the whole Egypt issue, Arabs in Egypt do not consider themselves Africans and that is a commonly known fact. The only time they claim African or Black is when people get on them for the whole terrorism bit. Before you know it, they start invoking MLK Jr.. I once referred to an Egyptian guy as a “fellow African” and he quickly told me that he was not African, but Arab. Interestingly, Arabs don’t mind being called Egyptian even though technically Egypt is an African nation and ancient Egyptian were not Arabs. I guess since ancient
    Egypt was a great civilization Arabs (and a whole lot of other people including white folks) want to lay claim.

• THE AMAKA September 1, 2010 at 7:11 am

@ego actually my hair is in Braids, how i usually wear it, and why would you need to see my picture? for what? you just dont like that i called these black girls “white girls dipped in chocolate” because thats the look they most often go for. she may have black skin but everything else about her is very “eurocentric”.
    do not even play dumb

@stephanie, that wasn’t really my point. my point was that they are RACISTS! how come blacks hardly ever represent them (and the colored ones do not count)?? why is that? its obviously racism. would you see it in the United States where a black girl wins every year when the majority of the people in the United States are white? simple.
    and idk about why they always pick Ghanaian-Americans…i have my ideas though, but lemme not start WW3 here. lol

• omah September 25, 2010 at 12:38 am

JC,pls stop talking.
    I am nigerian,married to a white american and recently visited SA.
    People i expected to get funny looks from my black folks like i get in nigeria but twas the white south africans who were looking at me weird and saying stuff.
    Black people learnt racism from you whites and you are still the leaders and propagators of racism.
    Blacks are trusting and accepting.thats why they let you strangers into their land in the first place so
    PLsssssssss.

• K January 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm

We don’t trust anyone but ourselves like black people. You accuse us of the same thing you do to us. Look at the miss universes, judges just choose the same coloring every year. I haven’t seen a girl with any other color but brown win.

• maame April 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

My Ghanaian sister all the way and AMAKA.. there is nothing wrong if she’s Ghanaian- American.. so far as both parents are from Ghana, she’s good.!!