BN Cuisine With Chef Fregz: The Sun Rises in the East

Posted on Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 3:31 PM

By Fregene Gbubemi

Sometime in 2011 I got a call form a marketing/event company asking me to do a job for a Guinness Nigeria and in a meeting I was with some other caterers. There was this pretty young and feisty lady who said she was representing an outfit called “Goat Hunters” . The name was oddly the only thing that kept me from embarrassing myself because I’d been staring. I thought “hmm interesting name”. I asked her about the name and apparently they had been around for  28 years.

They specialize south-eastern cuisine. It was an interesting discovery for me because hitherto, the height of my knowledge of South-Easter cuisine was Nkwobi and Isi-Ewu. Meeting Chiz was a real eye opener and I was so excited at the depth of culture and the rich delightful secret that is deep down in the East.

After the gala, I decided to go find out more about Igbo food! They were  kind enough to give me access to their kitchen and sample and talk about the food they do.   In my life I had never experienced native food that looked so amazing and awesome. The menu seemed almost endless and the flavours were mind blowing. From the Ugba, to the native Jollof rice, some fish and off course the Isi-ewu I was in food heaven!

For the first time, I wasn’t in the Lagos food trance of Egusi and Efo. My taste buds were taken on an exotic adventure into a deeply fascinating world. I travelled to the east and back without leaving my seat.

Nigeria is a country of diverse cultures and I’m certainly going to be exploring meals from other parts of the country and I’m hoping we can go on this trip together.  So if you have any exotic recipes from your part of the country please share it with us and we’d make it. There’s really nothing as unifying as food and honestly in Nigeria today, I’m sure we can all agree that we need some Unity and Flavour!

Check out the pictures of my experience at Goat Hunters. I had a chat with Chizzy on the history of the restaurant, the different recipes and what made South Eastern Cuisine amazing. I’ll put up the video of the chat as soon as I get it from the video guys.

Yam Pottage

Ofe Onugbu

Goat head with the accompanying ‘particulars’

Native Jollof Rice

Nkwobi

Abacha (African Salad)

Don’t forget to share your recipes with me and I’ll make it and share my version with you guys.

Have a flavour-filled weekend and make sure you try something different in your kitchen.

Ciao!

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste.He also caters special events and private dinners. To find out more, visit theskinnychefthatcould.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 15 Comments on “BN Cuisine With Chef Fregz: The Sun Rises in the East”

Comments
    • Sauce October 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

These pictures just had my taste bud all “wet”.

• tbn October 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Chei! See food! My mouth was salivating while looking at the pictures of these delicious meals. Pls whats the last food called? you didn’t include its name.

• Janded October 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Yum but the calories …

• Seun October 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Ah!!! Chef Fregzzzz! na my forte be this o, I loooove igbo delicacies so tey I am even engaged to an igbo man and their food is such a delight!!! These pictures ate stiring up my taste buds mhenn
      pls give usthe recepies esp for Ugba, Nwobi and you missed out my favourite – Ofe Oha

• Seun October 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Ah!!! Chef Fregzzzz! na my forte be this o, I loooove igbo delicacies so tey I am even engaged to an igbo man and their food is such a delight!!! These pictures are stiring up my taste buds mhenn
      pls give us the recepies esp for Ugba, Nkwobi and you missed out my favourite – Ofe Oha.
      By the way, please try out the Ugba & Nkwobi combo ( nkwobi with ugbaka, dry fish, red cray fish & okporoko)- its an absolute knockout!

• ArabianPrincess October 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Goat Hunters has been around for a while now. I stumbled upon them when an Opebi-Allen bus I took decided to do outrun traffic and pass thru a stony road in Ikeja. I saw their name and I was like what kinda restuarant is this and that aroused my curiosity. They are tucked sumwhere in Allen in a street behind tantalizers and opposite Lagos Airport Hotel. Good food but too much beer!

• nems October 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I’ve been looking forward to this all day… FLIP! BN Cuisine With Chef Fregz is my favourite feature. Chef Fregz could you please give us your recipes :).

• aleesha October 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

where is Goat hunters biko?! i need to sample me some goood igbo cuisine. also, I’d like some recipes: how is native jollof rice made? and abacha too

• Babe October 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Igbo and proud!!!
      They didn’t even give him ukazi soup, oha soup and ukwa its incomplete :)

• dee October 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

i want nkwobi o!!!!! Dee’s husband take note

• Dziree October 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The garnishing is a bit one kind biko. Some foods are better without garnish.

• Nelo October 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Nice once Fregz! Goat hunters has been around since i was a lil girl and i love their nkwobi.
      @arabian princess: please don’t get people lost.lol
      Here’s the address: its at 3 adeleke street, off allen avenue, ikeja. once you get to first bank busstop on allen avenue, just ask anyone. its pretty popular

• olamide October 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Yaaaaay Goat Hunters

• 4lah October 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yup,dats my girl chizzy…dier food is on point alwayz!!

• Oweibo Rukky March 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I’m not an igbo, but i just love them so much….