BN Hot Topic: “Cajetan”, “Cletus” & “Clementina” What’s In A Name?

When my niece was born, my parents were asked to ‘submit’ names for the baby. My Dad said he wanted her to be called “Emily”. Now, if you read that in the way English people do, it’s nice and dandy, but if you read it with a Yoruba accent… tsk tsk…(Imagine saying ‘Lydia’ with a Yoruba accent) It’s a completely different ball game. There’s something about the ‘Nigerianization’ of foreign names that just makes you weak.

Hence why a lot of Nigerians advocate for cultural traditional names. Some Nigerians believe that names are more than just a means of identification. Your name is supposed to tell a story, reflect your background or so the advocates of Nigerian names assert. When asked on why my friend was insisting that his wife takes his last name or at least settle for a ‘double barreled’name, he responded with “A name is more than JUST a name”.

However, some Nigerians have found a balance that works for them. It’s the slight cradling of the thin fence between the foreign and the cultural. Let me give you an example. A child in my nephew’s school is called “Barbara”. Her full name is “Oluwaseunbabarafunmi”. There’s little “Tammy” who I assumed was “Tamara” until I heard she was “Tamilore”. There’s “Tony” too. He’s “Oluwatooni”. Then there’s “Dante” *Remember to curl your tongue and your lips for this one* “Oluwadantemi”. “Wanny” is “Nwanneka”, and let’s not forget “Nikki”, who is Nkechi. It has been argued that it’s easier for the child to grow up and become more ‘cosmopolitan’ because it’s easier for foreigners to pronounce the names. So for those who take this stand, it’s completely about ease and convenience rather than any deeply rooted attachment to tribe or culture.
However, some of these re-calibrations are borderline ridiculous though… I mean how is “Shawn” any variation of “Oluwaseun” or “Tanny” a variant of “Itohan”? Or “Wendy”, “Yewande”. But then “To Each His Own”

When I asked my friend why his daughters didn’t have “English/Jewish” names, he said he was deeply cultural and until he met a Caucasian who named his child ‘Abimbola’ to allow it easier for said child to be accepted in Africa, he wasn’t going to give his child a “Non-Nigerian” name.

There’s also the school of thought that names are just names. I mean we have “Cajetan” and “Longinus”. Those are just names right? and it doesn’t really matter as long as the bearer of the names are identifiable right?

I’ve always found some names fascinating and beautiful and if anybody asks me why I’m going to bestow such on my kids I’m not going to have any DEEP reason but the fact that I LOVE the name. On my list of personal favorites are “Oyinkan”, “Hadiza”, “Nifemi” and of course “Atoke” ;)

So guys, let’s talk. What do you think about your name? Is it JUST a name? Is there some history to it? Do you have some funky version of your name that you refer to yourself as? If you have kids, how did you choose their names? Do you think a name MUST have a meaning? Do you think a name is beautiful and a reflection of your ‘beautiful’ child? Or do you believe that the name of the child sets the tone for the child’s destiny?

Let’s discuss!

Photo credit: damajority.com

62 Comments on BN Hot Topic: “Cajetan”, “Cletus” & “Clementina” What’s In A Name?
  • Chi-ka November 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Yay! My name has a history to it. OBIANUJU means “one born in the midst of many children”. Both my parents are the last children of their parents and I am, ironically, an only child lol. So I guess it made sense for them. Hence, I have decided to name my fist child SOMAYINA meaning, “may I never walk alone”. Cute huh? :)
    That being stated, I believe names should have meanings. These days, I think parents name their children just because they like the ring to the names, but they fail to find out what the names mean. Call me old-fashioned or overly ‘spiro’, but I still believe that the name a child bears plays a significant role in their destiny…

• julit November 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

whats up name sake

• Cynthia November 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Is Somayina an Ibo name? Can I steal it? :)

• Joan November 15, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Yes dear. Somayina is an Ibo name. It means “may I never walk/be alone”. Please feel free to steal, someone already stole it from me first lol.

• Tiki November 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I thought Obianuju leant ‘it comes in abundance’?

• Uju January 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

Yay another Obianuju, but you should state yours is Obianujunwa, cause Obianuju on its own is “one who is born in the midst of plenty”. It can be Obianuju nwa, or Obianuju aku, with the latter, meaning one born in the midst of plenty wealth.

• Neo November 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

A name is indeed more than just a name. Apart from the deep meanings in our African names which are like constant prayers or attestations to the greatness of God, i believe names and their contractions can affect the psyche of a child. I have a friend who ditched her native name for Priscillia and i ended up spending two hours outside her hostel cos no one knew who i was looking for. Another friend had an aunt who ditched her name “Virginia” when it became Vagina in the village. My sis in law has since changed her son’s english name to the simpler Kevin when Jayden became Sardine. Dont ask me how.

My two kobo is simly that when naming our kids lets put aside our own desires and think what those names can mean for the child.

• Que November 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa……………………Neo u just made me fall out of my seat with all dis laughter!!! No wayyyyyyy- Nigerians win anyday, Jayden to Sardine-BAWO?????

• hmmmmmmmmmm November 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I know of some Azubuke (sp?) dude who now answers “Zub”. Like seriously!!!

• hmmmmmmmmmm November 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Oh yes and at College Bilikishu changed her name to “Keisha”.

another babe changed her name from Wura to Gold (Not a bad alternative) :)

• xoxo November 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm

My names are beautiful, as in beautiful. I was named after my mum. My first name is Oladunni – which literally means, wealth is sweet to have. In yourba, they say you embody your name (oruko ro eni na), and in my case, I have to say it is true. My life has been made easier in so many ways by money. I consider myself to be very very very lucky in that respect. I have good luck with money. I never have any problems when it gets to money to do certain things in life. I can tell stories for days, how somewhere, somehow, the money I need for something miraculously appears, or I am in a difficult patch, and money has helped smoothen the way. I can also tell stories for days about people who have come to my rescue with money, or simply giving me money, and later on received a huge windfall in their lives. My grandma fondly says, Ori e ma n pe owo wa (someone help me translate). So I love my name, and I love it when people smile afterwards when they ask me what my name means. I’m not a very rich man’s daughter by any standard, but I can’t count how many times, people just assume that I’m some trust fund baby. They say you just exude spoilt rich daddy’s princess. So yes, wealth is sweet to have. My middle name is Omotola – this child equals wealth. So you see, I’m swimming in it. My Oriki name is Ajoke – This child is born to be pampered by all. So, what’s in a name you say, A WHOLE LOT. Lol.

• Lilly November 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm

God bless u Oladunni Ajoke, It’s end of year again and am so so thinking of how the money is gonna come, only to read what you just wrote and remember that my name is Ololade Ajoke, that money will show up, it always does! And I attribute it to the confession lying deep in my name. Osey.

• OmoMakun November 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm

“Ori e ma n pe owo wa” – Your head calls money…lol…That’s the literal translation. You are basically blessed.

• Summer November 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Omg,u r totally mi,ma name is olakitan wwhich means Wealth neva finishes and trust mi I av neva lacked moni eida,neva will by God’s grace.ma oda names are omodunni and omotola,bt ajoke is ma sister’s oriki name… lol,truely names do av effects on a person.

• Mary November 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

My name was first EBENGE (meaning specially requested) but converted to GBENGA by those who wouldn’t take their time to learn how to pronounce it. My dad got mad and changed it to Mary, with the reason that I was “specially requested of the Virgin Mary”, after 2 boys.
    When I discovered Mary means bitterness, I did everything to change it back to my native name which I really love because it’s uncommon. Recently, I’ve found out that it’s not just bitterness it’s “bitterly sought for’ which takes me back to the original EBENGE! So, now I’m cool with either.
    My brothers are not left out in the ‘funkinizing’ of their names: from Abraham to ABE etc. They’ve also tried with their children ADRIAN, ARIANNA and SHAUN but somehow we still end up with their native names!
    So, I think what’s important is the meaning attached to these names because if it’s just about the sound/beauty and ease of pronunciation of the names we wouldn’t need to go through all the wahala of finding their meanings and we could actually name our children AKI or MSCHEW!
    And I think every time we call our children or people call us, they’re affirming, re-affirming and establishing our future and destiny.

• xoxo November 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm

yes, yes, yes and yes. I agree. In my case anyway. Another thing is, when we shorten the names, please let it still retain some of its original meanings. Shortening Tamilore to Tammy, just to sound funky, loses the whole identity of the name, and the blessings, or can i say goodness, that comes with that name. I would rather call my daughter Tami – with the yoruba intonation (given to me) or Ore (gift), rather than the englicised Tammy, which means nothing. For Oluwatoni, I would rather shorten it to Toni (good to have) with the yoruba intonation rather than Tony. “Oluwaseunbabarafunmi” – such a beautiful name, and you do that child a huge disservice by funkinising it to Babara. What happened to Seun, Funmi or even Sefunmi. That way the child still keeps the meaning. “Oluwadantemi” – Dante, whats that, are we spanish? Danitemi or Temi. Imagine you remembering the meaning, everytime you call your child. The Lord created this one for me. Or the child being reminded each time they are called, that he/she was specially created for his family. Nkechi – The Lords own, shorten to Kechi. Nikky, Seriously!!!!!!. Well, coming from someone who is called “wealth” (Ola – depending on who is talking to me) or “sweet to have” (Dunni) every minute of everyday. I wouldn’t lose the meaning of my name for anything. Lol

• Purpleicious Babe December 4, 2012 at 4:58 pm

well said and revised

• mariam November 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

personally, i attach and read meanings a lot to names.when i start having babies i intend to add OLUWA to all their names because God has been 101% involved all the way……OLUWADEMILADE,OLUWADARASIMI,OLUWASHEKEMI,OLUWATOBILOBA,YOYINSOLA,ITEOLUWAKIISI,IPINOLUWA,IREOLUWA,IFETOLUWABORI ……..the list is endless

• ruth November 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm

well i believe ur name goes a long way in making u who u are coz its wt u’r called evry day,hour,min&sec.d more ur called dt name d more ur becming wt d name means.so its safer 2 hv or giv ur kids names dt r positive.meanwhile my tribal name means – love is the greatest! am gnna name my daughter manre-love has sent me(God is dt luv) and my son durfa(my wealth has cm.

• ij November 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

well my name is ijeoma , my dad told me that my mum, God rest her soul gave me that name to tell the world how her journey in life with him (i.e my dad) has been an enjoyable one ,he probably made that up because i can’t verify it now . Anyway yes i think a name should have a solid meaning not just because it sounds funky . ijemamaka and Kamsiyochukwu have always been fav names of mine.

• Funmi November 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Speaking about names and the importance, darling name is not just for identification it tells your story; who you are and where you come from…At age 12 I became aware of my self that am existing and I answered the name ‘Sherifatu Lasisi’ can you just imagine the Nigerialization of this name this are beautiful names Sherifat Azees and when I finished my primary education I couldn’t go to grammar school immediately because I wanted to go to a particular school that is out of my town and my mum refused so i had to repeat primary 6 so i was taken to a different school. I remember that day how can I forget when the Principal asked me my name I gave him Olufunmilayo Akande ‘Akande is my father’s native name and that is how I single handedly change my name and my siblings follow all of us now answer Akande instead of Lasisi. I mean there is nothing wrong with this name its the pronunciation and I still answer Sheri because its a very popular name thanks to my mum Iya Sheri Oloogun-Ebi may her gentle soul rest in peace.
    So peps name is very important Yoruba ni oruko omo lonro omo. Give your children good names that will lead them to good life. Have a wonderful day.

• kin November 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

my name is seyi and i was name oluwaloseyifunmi kinseniyan after my miraculous birth. my teachers in Dublin prefer to call me shay because they think its easy.

• Oluwatosin November 15, 2012 at 2:31 pm

a name goes a long. it reflects on the child bearing the name. like naming your son ‘sulaimon’ and its pronounced as ‘sule’. ‘sule ( idiot) is an abusive word,so don’t be surprise if the child starts behaving like a dunce.it’s also good to consider how people might pronounced it especially the elderly people. The name you give a child plays a significant role in his/her life. So its good to know the meaning of a name before you give your child.

• Teris November 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

i just wish they’d get my name right. it’s really not that hard!

personally, i wud rather have my kids bear purely native names like i do, too. if we had to struggle with Schwarzenegger, Netanyahu and Beauchamp, let them also deal with Hyeladzira, Gbolahan and Chukwudi.

• Waheed November 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Isn’t it ironic. You all tell us your name in the comments and your Username reads different.

My name is Ebenezer. A stone that signifies a Generation that God helped. Too long for the Brits to pronounce, hence they call me Eben and it changes nothing.

• hmmmmmmmmmm November 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Ironic indeed!! Waheed/ Eben??? This is just an obvious case of the kettle calling the pot black.

• Purpleicious Babe December 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm

loool…

I got tired of the wrong pronunciation of my name and chose to translate it into English and its easier to pronounce.

I believe in the connotation a name carries as some commentators have explained. Almy children by his grace will have straight up native names that will be shorten into something that makes sense and stays true to their real name.

• Lucia Leoso November 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Yea there’s definitely more to a name than pple can see… I luv my name LUCIA because its classic and not common n I’m happy my folks gave me an english alternative name cos I would definitely not have bn eager to use my very deep and konk native name… I will spare u d details of the name tho so u guys dnt twist ur tongue. U can also view this nblo.gs/EKZLd

• missBonnie November 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

my name OMOBONIKE, I have a friend who thinks my parents made it up cuz i’m the only one he knows that has that name.

• ephee November 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm

my name is ifeoma (meaning GOOD THING),but most people do call me ify which am also fond of.

• igbo canadian November 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm

My name is chidinma ijeoma ogechukwu. Meaning ‘God is good’, ‘safe journey’ and ‘God’s time is best’ given to me because of the circumstances in which i was born. I can testify that my names are a reflection of my life. I love my parents for the blessings

• Chattyzee November 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm

My middle name is “ABIONA” … my mum gave me that name because I was born in front of our house.
    As in literally, my mum said my Dad traveled and so she was home alone when her water broke. She tried getting to the gate to call a neighbor. At the gate, in front of the house, I came sliding out of her.
    They had to carry me, her and the umbilical cord to the hospital! No Kidding.

• Ada November 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

God knows, if my parents had named me Longinus or names in the same category. I would have changed the name when i had reached the age of 18.

Names are very important, don’t just name a child cos it sounds nice or you like. Speak into the child’d future through their name.

• temisy November 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Well, I’d say I have several wonderful names. The native ones are really peculiar – Temisanren meaning “my own don beta” (english too hard abeg), and there’s the other one I can’t be bothered about remembering cos it turned out opposite, it was supposed to mean “the eternity of the union between my parents”….they separated 5yrs after my birth. And the final and most ridick, TEMIBITENE’ESTIOKAN (pronounciation discretion advised!) Meaning “my own and ‘our’ own nor the same thing. Thanks Grandma!

• Jide November 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Temi, in response to this part of your comment – “there’s the other one I can’t be bothered about remembering cos it turned out opposite, it was supposed to mean “the eternity of the union between my parents”….they separated 5yrs after my birth”. Actually it is not the opposite. A child binds two people for life, whether in marriage or not. Your existence, and that of your generation, is an eternity of the union between your parents. A marriage may last for a season, a child lasts for a lifetime. So, my dear, your name is correct. Your parents are bonded for life. Their blood/genes, that flows in you, will also flow into your children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren……… you get my drift. Nigerian names have very deep meanings, that carry on.

• Mo November 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hmmn… My twin sisters’ names are Omobonike and Omoronike. My name is Omoloro. I love the names as they are not very popular.. :))

• annie November 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

popular jingo!!! reply me oooooo! :P hehehehehe

• Chidinma November 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm

My name means God is good & I really love the name cos God is so good in my life. Dere is a lot to a name, it really affects the bearers life. I ve an english name which to me doesnt mean anything significant, so I pushed it to my 3rd name & bear my Igbo names as 1st and middle name(my middle name means gold).
    I frequently thank my parents for my names & also tell them that if dey had named me a meaningless name I wld change it.
    I was born & bred in lagos & currently servin in Ibadan. A lot of the other ethnic groups cant pronounce my name but I dont care, its mine not theirs.

• Mimi November 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I think names are truly important. Not only do they define a person, but it also tells a story. And the same way we are to be careful in what we say because words have power, names often signify a person’s future/destiny. Not saying that people shouldn’t name their kids fun names like Cash or Apple, because who knows, that child may be the apple of their parents eye. Although I can’t tell you what Cash could signify…

But living here in the States, I cringe when I see ghetto names (of Black kids) because their clearly can be no meaning to a name like Quanisha or Anzion, etc or some of these funky names Hollywood celebs give their children, I feel like their kid’s may regret those names in older ages, think Uma Thurman’s name(s) for her baby girl ‘ Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson’ or Mariah Carey’s son named Morrocan (?)!

I also think nontraditional names are also wonderful, when the meaning is brought to light. For example, I would love to name my future daughter Tzipporah. There’s something about that Hebrew name that is beautiful to me. It means ‘bird’, but with thought, I would give this name to my daughter so she may fly with all the good on her wings into a future bright and clear, or something. And for my future son, I really like Declan for some reason. It’s an Irish name meaning ‘full of goodness’, which would be what anyone can hope for their son. I’m still working on my picks for traditional names, like Nneoma or Arinze (I’m Igbo), but I haven’t forgotten that my future husband will have to also name our children!

• onyekachukwu November 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

i’m an advocate of traditonal meaningful names…i also believe that ur name can help u pull thru tough times.everytime im going thru situations,my sister thot me to always remember ur name and believe it..my name is Onyekachukwu(who’s greater than God),my daughter’s name is Chimamanda(my God can neva fail),my other dota’s name is Kobichukwudi(this is d way God’s heart is).I’ve taught my children to correct anyone that funkylises their names because their names have deep spiritual meaning. i think your name has a way of making u in life.

• Jum jum November 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

My name is Olajumoke which means wealth is going to take care of me. I always believe a name makes the person. I always smile when I tell non Nigerians what my name means. I believe people should put much thought into naming their child, just because a name makes that child who they are. I know wealth will take care of me Insha Allah!

• Dede November 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Everyone calls my inlaw’s daughter Zaza, short form for chinaza (God answers)

• SexyChocolate November 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I think names are very important… I can’t date a man with what i think is weird name. For example “Only Him”, ” Soughout”.. These are names people give their children..smh

• Que November 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Please o my papa na Cletus…dont know wat it means, but he was a fine specimen of a man!!! hehe! and we have all those other names too- Longinus, Cajetan…..come u sure say no be my family members u take as case study?

• Pd November 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I have my grandmas name…..Adetohun Ajiun saudat…….n am a replica of her……all the last girls from that side of the family are her lookalike. I need to google the meaning of adetohun ooooo….

• Bisola November 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I love my name because it means born in wealth, but the rest of my name is sweet especially my surname!

• Derin November 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm

My name is Derin (Aderinsola) and I love my name, always have. My parents let us choose our middle name, and my 13 year old self decided on Patricia. My daughter’s name is Chinelo, she is yet to be conceived, but people ask “what if your husband isn’t Igbo?” It amazes me that no one questions my middle name when both my parents are Yoruba/Edo.

• kingsley November 15, 2012 at 11:00 pm

My name is Nwokeoma, my brothers bear Ebubeagu, Nwachukwu, my sisters bear Enyibuaku and Akuesu each of this name has a great meaning, i ve another brother and a sister that bears yoruba name Alaba and Omoye…….According to my father he attach things that happen to him in naming us. I think and believe that a name should have a meaning and ur name should define ur tribe.

• jhjj November 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm

What you are called is not just a name. I’m of the opinion that names affect us in the long run. My name is Oluwanifemi and I hated it. I’m older now, I know what it means and I’m grateful. People just call me Nifemi.

• moronke November 16, 2012 at 12:34 am

My name is Morounke(av gotten somthing precious to care for) Olabimpe(wealth is abiding with me) Olamiposi(my wealth is increasing. Most people call me MOO d first alphabhet of my names, n am soooo cool with my names. Although am a christian bt I cringe when people give their kids names like rebecca, ruth, maria,jacob etc I don’t dig it @all. If I must give my kids names of GOd or link their names with God when I can call them, Oluwashindara, Jesujoba, Moyinoluwa, Mofeoluwa, Bolatito, Iyanutimofe, Oluwabuyikunmi, Diekolaoluwalarami, oluwasholabomi, Adekitan, Oluwadeniolabomi there re very beutiful names that you can give ur kids and ur kids will be very proud of d names u gave dem. Sweet beutiful names, don’t give your kids names that they can’t wait to change like sherifatu lasisi(lolz). Am very African I believe your name is tied to destiny, ur destiny answers to your name n vice versa. I really like d write up its very refreshening an an eye opener. Plus I alwayz suggest that you start writing d names u want to give your kids even b4 u get married sdly name denow kip thinking yo should av named them otherwise. Am nt yet married buh for the past seven years av been compiling the names I want to give my kids. I even stole some from peoples contribution..

• R November 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

I think names should have meanings, cuz they could very well be a part of your identity.
    Also everytime you or someone else says your name, they’re reinforcing what it means into your life :)

I like my name, I don’t have any English names and I never thought that was weird.
    I’ve never shortened or funkisized my name.

Funny thing is when I introduce, people often comment on how beautiful it is :’D, especially non-Nigerians .

Aname I really like is Iyinoluwa.

• Triangle November 16, 2012 at 6:45 am

I saw a friend’s younger sister with her baby at a wedding, I was so excited that as I hadn’t seen her since her own wedding, so I asked what d baby’s name is, and she replied GARIM. Thinking it was a native name, I asked for the meaning, I was beyond words when she said it’s actually an abbreviation for ‘God’s Annointing Rests In Me’ go figure.

I bear my english name cos my mom named me after her, and I dnt mind the name cos its actually biblical Joanah, though I modified mine to Joanne. My native name, is quite meaningful too, but I bear it at home only, so anyone that calls me my igbo name outside the house, sabi me reach house. Hehehe

As for my future babies, my daugther will bear Chizitera ‘sent from God’ another one will bear Chetanna ‘Remember the father’ in memory of my late dad and the ‘father’ in the name can also refer to God. You knw what? Chetanna is a unisex name. Lol
    Their daddy can choose the english names. Hehe

• Ginika November 16, 2012 at 8:18 am

Let me tell you a true life story of names I have encountered:
    1. Temptation (no jokes at all)
    2. Emergency
    3. Ambulance
    4. Notrain
    5. NoRed

Now Zimbabweans are notorius for giving the oddest names ever (according) to me. Some parts of South Africa, there are people with sentences as a name, like: “not come easy” (something like that) on their IDs.

Names are very important and as much as I love my Zimbabwean African brothers and sisters, I would like to sit one of the mother’s down and just ask why did you name your daughter ‘temptation’? Couldnt you atleast put the meaning in Shona?

• Ginika November 16, 2012 at 8:18 am

my name is an expression, meaning: “What is greater than God” (Ginikachukwu)

• Babe November 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

Names are very important part of our life as we are called by it to identify us, so it speaks into our life. My name is Oluranti, meaning ‘God remembers me’ and my second name is Oluwabusayo, meaning God added to my joy. Anytime my parents want to pray for me, they usually pray ‘according to your name, Oluwa a ranti re si rere, Oluwa a si bu si ayo e. Meaning that God will always remember me for good and add joy to my joy. I cannot ask for a better name as the prayers always work for me. So, from my own view, my name is a constant reminder of God’s promises to me to always remember me for good and add to my joy always and all that is associated with me.

• Adey November 16, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Name is VERY important! My full name Adejoke meaning “We came together to love/care for you” is essentially what happened with my parents. It annoys me when people don’t pronounce my name right (Joke) and turn it into Jockey and I’m thinking I don’t ride horses or worst of all Chockey, like the evil doll. *rolls eyes* !!! it’s 2 syllables for cripes sake! Thankfully Adey’s not too problematic.

• nwando November 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

All the comments show clearly that we Nigerians attach a lot of importance to names, and I agree with them all. Mine is Nwabundo (shortened to Nwando) and it means that a child is shelter. In some translations it is child of peace. :)

• nwanyi na aga aga November 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

My middle name is Nnedinma meaning ‘mother is good’, my only sis nneka meaning ‘mother is the greatest. We ve lost our mother. Sometimes we think this name affected us, especially when my sis gave birth and i had to come down we were both at loss how to do stuffs, till a neighbourly relative helped out. Names affect. Though our first names are wonderful. But i believe so much in names. My first son will be Chukwuma,(God knows) my daughter Nmachierika(Goodness of God is great) another son Chinedu (God leads)

• Oluwatobi November 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm

My first name is Oluwatobiloba, meaning to me God is great and some people say it means God is big (anyways). I believe the meaning of a name affects the bearer. Plus there is no way I would not name one of my children oluwashindara( the name carries weight)

• TINTIN December 9, 2012 at 7:58 am

pls wat is wrong with CLEMENTINA. clementina is a roman name and it means merciful. I feel its nt a bad nane at all