Posted on Friday, December 7th, 2012 at 11:33 AM

By Damilare Aiki

Nigerian design label, Shakara Couture presents a selection of pieces from its 2012 ready to wear collection. This collection which is all about celebrating every woman’s silhouette,  includes blouses, dresses, skirts with a colourful range of fabrics from lace to tribal print, tulle and chiffon.

According to a rep for the label, the collection is for the discerning woman and includes gemstone embellishments to add a sparkly twist to each piece. The collection will be displayed at the Music Meets Runway 2012 in Lagos.

View the Collection

enquiries@shakaracouture.com

Credits
Photography: Jeffery Ugoru
Make-Up: Stella’s Addiction
Models: Oby Ezendula & May
Hair & Styling: Shakara Styling for Shakara Couture

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 34 Comments on ““For the Discerning Woman”! Nigerian Design Label, Shakara Couture presents its 2012 R-T-W Collection”

Comments
    • jumzyyy December 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hmnnn…. discerning indeed! Me no likey..

• facingbook December 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM

lmao

• Soraya December 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Nice- if you are slim and shaped like a sugar cane plant……………

• brittany December 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

LMAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOO
        nawa oh una get bad mouth she

• Sugabelly December 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Nothing new. Same tired designs and poses

• Tiey Rex (I like JoBen) December 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM

My thots exactly! Love your blog *sheepish grin*

• na wa.... December 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I like some piecec…i think the tailoring for a few need more work..

• Glam December 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Nice pieces, good effort.

• ForestM December 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

hmmmmmmmm!!

• slim gals toh quality December 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Great..I luv the neck piece in the fourth pix,I want It in this xmas

• ForestM December 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Their hairstyles killed the whole effort! same ol same ol…..absolutely nothing new!

• diamond December 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

only for slim people. http://www.weheardall.com

• Uche December 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why can’t we just celebrate each other? Entrepreneurship is a hard enough. Then people feel the need to bash and tear down. Its quite sad really.

• Amazeballs! December 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Comments like yours just annoy me! Look, everybody CANT like everything, its just life! get over it and quit with the preaching jor.

• temisy December 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Am not hating or bashing, but some of the fabrics look cheap! Especially the torquoise one that looks like bed spread.. Hopefully the creative director will up his/her game subsequently!

• i no send December 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I’m waiting for the designer that will use the regular sized everyday nigerian lady as model for her line

• tokunbo December 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Adaora Ukoh’s line na lol

• minku December 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I like the collection. My fave dress has to be the one in muted blue tones in the 6th and 7th pics. Whoever knows the designer will know her personal style isn’t exactly muted, and this reflects in the collection. But there’s something there for almost everyone. I think up-and-coming designers should be encouraged more…

• faith December 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Una get bad mouth shave…lol

• faith December 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Sha*

• Gold December 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Contrats Ewemade!! More grease tO ur elbows…u’ve got some cute pieces

• Joyce December 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Nothing special. Not impressive at all.

• bisola December 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Nigerians…kai! Fashion is recycled and nothing has been new for the last decade, if not more. Appreciate the effort, and stop tearing the efforts of those brave enough to create jobs for others. Congrats…Ewemade & Iwiyisi. Lovely designs

• Theresa December 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM

That first dress is da bomb! Simple but elegant! Ankara is truly African and very versatile! Welldone Shakara, never relent, you can only get better. Don’t let criticisms discourage you, rather use it as feedback and improve. Wish you all the best.

• Bobo December 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

One word…Elegant! I like the combination of the vintage & african touch in some of the outfits. 4th pic is my favorite. Keep up the good work.

• Ngozi December 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Pictures are dark, cloths not well lighted,they have an idea about styling,but it shows Amateurs at work, pls next time get professionals!

• liz December 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Vintage!!very lovely.sky is your limit.

• bey December 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Plain rubbish. Wait are they showcasing at mmr?? Shame

• Winifred December 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Bey,na you be rubbish chrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.am sure na 9-5 you dey do

• Ms. Dior December 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Please stop hating on her, this is so not your levels, you get money to finance collection? A very good debut effort. But she should ex that couture from her label, cos she specializes in ready to wear.

• Girlgotanopinion December 25, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I checked out the designers website (shakara) and some of the pieces are absolutely fab! The only thing that kind of made me do a back step were the prices on some of the goods. They were a little on the exorbitant side. I mean come on a dress for 69550? Thats like $442 in the states/274 pounds in the UK. You could actually buy 4 or 5 designer dresses with that money and then some with the crazy Christmas sales they have over there….10,700 naira for a top? Around 40 pounds/$68 which is somewhat (and I stress it again SOMEWHAT!) doable but I can’t imagine forking over that kind of money. Not hating but Im a bargain shopper :) and Ms Dior she does ‘custom made goods’ but I can see a majority of the goods are ready made. I’ll pass on this selection :)

• mizz December 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hey you’re right about the fab pieces on their website shakaracouture.com..and Yeah about the prices but na so naija designers dey do becos cost of production here is high!..And it looks like the more expensive the piece, the higher grade of fabric being used..i prefer the pictures on the website, they do more justice to their clothes…Nice job shakara!

• Girlgotanopinion January 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Hey Mizz please enlighten me on the costs of production for the fabric. I’m not a seamstress and I was wondering whether there was any high tech production involved in making the pieces? I mean I would think for the price shakara couture advertises i would be getting nothing short of the best quality material. However, like I said before I could get expensive pieces in the USA/UK for a much lower price and still the quality of the material is top notch. Her pieces are nice however they are nothing extra ordinary I have seen alot of the designs elsewhere, her clientele is clearly for the rich people who have nothing better to do with their money. :)

• ig August 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Great effort, I very visited her outlet @ olubunmi Rotimi, her fabrics are of good quality, and she’s got unique appliquè as well. We’ll done Ewemande, u are doing a great job