Posted on Friday, March 22nd, 2013 at 1:03 PM

By Jennifer Obiuwevbi

The Orange Culture lookbook for 2013 is here and it’s looking forward in fashion. The collection created by designer and  Creative Director Adebayo Oke-Lawal was shot by talented story teller and photographer Obi Somto . The “The Feeling” collection explores African heritage with Adire, Aso-Oke and cow skin leather material.

The label brings craftsmanship and the talent of the Nigerian fashion industry to life with its earthly tones on reds, blues, yellows and whites. Originally created for the “Woven Threads” exhibition for the MTN Lagos Fashion and Design Week, the collection is aimed at exploring the art of textile craftsmanship and tells a tale of an artistic lover who is exploring love and his understanding of the concept.

Take a look at the edgy designs.

Credit
Photographer: Obi Somto
Stylist: Terence Sambo
Stylist Assistant: Solomon Aroge
Models: Yemi Torresma (AMCK Models London)

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 47 Comments on “Edgy, Fearless & Fashion Forward! Orange Culture presents its Fall/Winter 13 “The Feeling” Collection Lookbook”

Comments
    • Ms lala March 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Go bayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it…

• Lue March 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM

ok, this collection is funny……and not in a good way

• laide March 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

yep..just like the first thing I saw when I got here…no comments

• www.anemistyle.com March 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Ok …love the jackets, struggling to understand everything else. Great Model :)

• Uzo March 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM

This is just wrong!

• Bammo March 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Shut it. You don’t like it doesn’t make it wrong.

• Dolly March 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

No you shit or shove somethin in …wth??
          @UZO yes Wrong in all ways LMBO…..i mean i’m all for edgy or limitless boundaries in fashion but this trick right here aint nothin but a joke!

• Abiola March 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Bayooooooooooooooo…..leave am like that…*eyes rolling*

• Aibee March 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Like someone is actually going to go out dressed like this.

• Bammo March 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

What you do is you pick an item e.g a jacket and wear with other stuff. I doubt the designer expects you to wear it as it is. Not everyone is bold and daring.

• oyin March 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

as a man, YOU CAN PICK THE SKIRT TOO? AND wear it with ????

My point here is that the collection depicts the creative mind of the designer.. the designer is showing the viewers what to expect from the collection in terms of colors, texture and pattern!!

Not necessarily what to wear it with.. my opinion

• Sbaby March 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Abeg whats that rose head band on his head????????????? Must it be used in all the puctures mtchew

• Yve March 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

That killed me I swear. LMAO. Rose hair band? Kai

• Yve March 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I love the graffiti sha.

• shya rhodes March 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, LWKMD

• Bola March 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

and who is going to wear this?

• kilipot March 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Likey. Except the something on the head

• lori March 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

lol…

• taiwo March 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

@bola ha nigerian male celebrities duh lol!

• Slinky March 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Ryt choice of words Bella “edgy, fearless & fashion forward” esp d word fearless.

• Carrie Bradshaw March 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

To me, men always look good sha…. No matter what they wear :) I like it all! (Minus the thingy on the head of the model….. Not sure what that’s about *cringe*)

• Stella Kashmoney March 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Interesting collection.

• reallyyyyyy!!! March 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

creativity and originality at its best.

• KELZ HENRY March 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Its different, I like :-)

• Havoc March 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The individual pieces are nice but the combinations in these pictures are ridiculous and unwearable. The styling is good aesthetically, but impractical.

• kilipot March 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You aren’t supposed to wear all at once

• pynk March 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

issorai

• Jo! March 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM

dude’s hot!
      silly clothes

• d March 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

cant c ani 9jerian man wearing ani of dese but a Ghanaian shld b able 2 wear d one in d 3rd pic. hehehehehe

• Mutiat March 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

is it me or was thr a skirtand alice band in ths lookbook? Very edgy!lol

• @ajiriavae March 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I see some wearable pieces within each look. However, maybe the looks should have been styled in a way that potential customers can relate to. Just saying.

ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

• Mz Socially Awkward.... March 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I actually like the collection. It’s very interesting and easily adaptable.

And I need to address all this talk about “men wearing skirts”. Please, and I don’t know if this only applies to the south-eastern part of Nigeria but when we attend traditional functions, don’t we all see those elders from the village who rock their white shirts with wrapper/lappa tied like long skirts? Why do we talk out of both sides of our mouths in Nigeria? On the one hand if a designer of female clothes incorporates certain risque styles, we say “it is not African, we’re leaning too much to the west”. On the other hand, a designer of male clothes has now incorporated a skirt in his design, and we’re astounded as if our fore-fathers weren’t already wearing this look from ages past.

E really tire me…

• Enigma March 23, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Art is beautiful! Here’s what i see, and ya’ll can disagree if you like. A man is coming to terms with the concept of love. Notice how with the adire material, he blends into the graffiti on the wall. He’s not so sure, still confused but the love is there, shown in the red alice band. As the shoot progresses, he becomes surer of what that means and makes solid statements with the clothes, finally choosing to step away from his comfort zone. He ends up in an all red outfit, fully confident in his emotions. I think some people will say love has an effeminate ability to it, hence the alice band and as most people have said here, you’re not supposed to wear all the pieces at once. Besides if you think that’s a wrapper instead of a skirt, i can tell you a lot of Nigerian men who would be able to wear this with shirts. I think this is absolutely gorgeous and the model??? Oooh la la!!!

• yeayea March 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM

the clothing actually wasn’t too different, kilts, oversized leather lacded shirts have been done are being worn by various american and young nigerian artists, it just has a spin…african print! so to the line is creative is stretching it a bit…i get the guy was trying to catch eyes and start convo, cool. but the rose crown?????????? please have many seats, unnecessary and a bit corny.

• Emem March 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

WOREEEVVA

• House of ZINNO March 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

My best collection so far, really
      Iike the story, setting and confidence the designer showcased, this collection is obviously not for the average Nigerian man or for the low self esteem individual. Futuristic at its best.

• omah March 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

This is so wrong! whats with the head piece for a **guy**, and the skirt!!! My gawd the only thing I feel comfortable with is the jacket and the model who is remarkably handsome. Everything else is disturbing. OK, the graffiti is really cool…

• Neo March 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Nice collection and handsome mordel but I don’t like d ali’s band thingy on his head sha

• Ngozi March 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Not too sure how to feel about this…

• Peachy_mo March 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Clash of the titans (…of opinions)! you people don’t dull or disappoint me…immediately I saw the first picture I braced myself for the comments. even wearing par item, how does it fit? Nollywood will have a field day using the cloths for fetish story-lines/plots. Like House of Zinno said…this collection is obviously not for the average Nigerian man (of course its for the money-miss-road in Nigeria!) or for the low self esteem individual (seriously? I’ll expect this on a no self esteem individual). Futuristic at its best…(definitely not my generation’s future)….

• Mio March 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@Peachy_mo…..O God u need a hug.

• Mariaah March 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

GO Adebayo Oke-Lawal!!! I’m a woman but I will rock the pants in the first picture.. Nice collection, it shows the designers creativity and ability to balance colour palettes, pattern, materials.. I mean……

• ore March 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

ok i am for edgy, but edgy means a guy has to wear skirt n tight-edgy is weird

• Omo1 March 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

What!!!! like seriously..i’m not feeling this at all!..Probably its the way it was all put together for the shoot or something..just does’nt work for me

• Lola March 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Silly, clownish collection. Donate it to the circus! I mean, kilode?! When did fashion stop being wearable? This whole “look at me, I am so mod and edgy” thing is getting insufferable. Enough. Please. Is a ga ju o, o ti sun mi…

• amy March 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

i can actually picture Burna Boy in some of the outfits

• deetz April 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM