Ariyike Writes: Do Light Skinned Ladies Brighten Up the Front Desk?

Posted on Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 at 10:00 AM

By Ariyike Akinbobola

At one point in my life, I felt my face was darker than the rest of my body. I believe a lot of my dark skinned sisters have felt this way at some point in their lives, some may even still feel like that. We all know that the sun in different parts of Africa is enough to make our complexion two shades darker. The same sun we complain about is the one that tourists adore because of it’s tanning effect on their skin.

When I was growing up, I had a mixed race friend who wished she was as dark as me because she was extremely shy and felt she couldn’t go out without getting unnecessary attention. Back then, I wished I was as light as her. Many years ago when she moved to London, she went to a store in Peckham to buy her toiletries and she was advised by the store owner to buy certain lightening creams which will enhance and maintain her complexion. She was quite shocked because she even felt her skin was too light, she never thought anyone would ever advise her to buy skin lightening creams to lighten her complexion. Anyway, she ended up buying her tested and trusted vaseline.

I grew up listening to Dr Victor Olaiya’s song “Omo pupa” where he sang “Omo pupa o, omo pupa l’emi fe“. In this present day of remixes and collaborations, I would love to hear an “Omo dudu” rendition of that beautiful song. My single (dark skinned) friends in America who are hell bent on marrying black men keep complaining that the few legitimate ones around are dating white girls and even the ones that decided to go black are with either mixed race or very light skinned ladies.

A few weeks ago, my family friend in London told me that when he visited Lagos last month (for the first time after spending ten straight years in London), he was pleasantly surprised by the infrastructural development of Lagos State. He was amused by the new look Lagos; but what he found most shocking was the fact that most of his female friends from ten years ago had transformed into overnight half-castes. He said he kept asking his friends the same question over and over again “What happened to all the dark skinned girls in Lagos?”

Two days ago, I was reading some comments on a blog and most of the comments had sentences like “See her dark knees” or “Why is she looking so dark?” or “I like her new colour, it really suits her” and I asked myself this question. “Is social media putting pressure on black people to enhance their skin colour?”

Sometimes, when I put up pictures on my blackberry, I’ll get comments like “Babes, you’re getting darker” or “You should use a lightening cream to brighten/ tone you up a little”. Please is it now a crime to be dark? The internet has made the world a global village and with the use of social media, it has become so easy to interact with people from all over the world. Everyday, we see pictures of celebrities abroad who used to be dark skinned when we first saw them on television many years ago but in recent years, they have passed through series of rebranding and now, we can’t even tell if they are black or white. Are celebrities abroad becoming the yardstick for the new “female”look abroad and over here in Africa?

Every time I look around at events, I see that practically every girl/woman look the same way-Same skin tone and hairstyle. Even some magazine covers of African/Nigerian origin have the celebrities photo shopped to look two shades lighter. My brother’s friend, Emeka always says that once he gets married, he must buy different lightening creams for his wife so she can maintain her “yellowness”. This Emeka is proudly dark skinned o, in fact his nick name is “Blacky” and he’s always the first to insult men and women who have enhanced their complextion; yet he wants his wife to lighten hers after marriage.

Over the years, I’ve grown to love my skin colour. You should begin to love and appreciate yours too and know that everyone is unique and beautiful. I’m not here to judge anyone because frankly speaking, I have friends and family members who have lightened their skins and they are very happy about their new look. I even know people who are naturally light skinned/mixed race and still use lightening creams to enhance their skin, some would say they are “maintaining” their complexion.

If a large number of people find it okay to alter the original texture and colour of their hair by relaxing and dying it or you pierce your ears, eyebrows, tongue, belly button and other areas or you wear “shakomended” colured contact lenses to have your desired eye colour (which all have their side effects) then is it also okay to alter your skin colour by lightening it? afterall, it is your own skin and not someone else’s. This is something that I have been considering and I think we should talk about.

Some dark skinned girls feel pressured to do more to get noticed because of their complexion. Many of them even get turned down for jobs because the potential employers believe their complexion is not “bright” enough. The few dark skinned ones that eventually made it through to get some certain kinds of job have been told that they only scaled through because they had some outstanding qualities/ amazing personalities.

It is disheartening to hear that a beautiful, well qualified, dark skinned lady didn’t get a job as a marketer in a bank because they needed only light skinned marketers. I was once called to be part of a recruitment process where a large organisation was hiring members of staff. When it got to the employment of the two front desk officers, everyone on the panel (apart from me) said that light skinned female front desk officers would brighten up the office better than dark skinned ones. I insisted that we should employ based on merit, charisma, customer relation skills, qualifications etc. At the end of the day, we employed two ladies, one was light and the other one was dark skinned.

When next you want to criticise or comment about someone else’s complexion, if you must then be constructive in your approach and understand that the person may be under pressure from different angles about their skin tone because people may be telling them they are too light while others may be saying they are too dark so try not add pressure on them to further complicate their lives. Some people are actually naturally light skinned and they always have to deal with people saying they are enhancing their complexion even though they spend a lot of time under the sun and they don’t even use any form of sun screen or cream, it’s the same way some naturally slim ladies can eat 20 times a day and they’ll still remain slim without watching their diet.

At the end of the day, someone would always be lighter than you and someone would always be darker than you. Read this scenario and tell me what it is that we don’t like about our skin: The dark skinned person uses lightening creams, the light skinned person uses lightening creams, the white skinned person uses tanning lotions (to become darker) and my final question is to the men, “When it comes to skin colour, Do you prefer your woman ebony dark, caramel, slightly tonned or natturally light?” Thazall!

This topic would be discussed at The Best of both worlds networking event which comes up on Wednesday 7th of August at Troy Lounge (next to Oriental hotel) V.I from 6pm-10pm. There would also be a fashion exhibition, music, comedy, dance, open mic and a guest performance by one of your favourite Nigerian artistes.

Ariyike Akinbobola is a lawyer turned TV presenter/producer at Spice TV, a fashion and lifestyle channel. She studied Law at the University of Lagos and was called to the Nigerian bar in 2006. With a diploma in T.V presenting from the London Academy of Media, film and T.V. She also organises a monthly event every first Wednesday of the month called “Best of Both Worlds” networking cocktail party. She’s married and blessed with children. Follow her on twitter@LadyAriyike to find out more.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 111 Comments on “Ariyike Writes: Do Light Skinned Ladies Brighten Up the Front Desk?”

Comments
    • triangle July 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My mom had 8 of us. Growing up it was an in-house joke, 4 are fair in complexion and 4 are dark, we’d always tease my mom that There’s no cheating. I’ve always been fair in complexion but due to excessive sun exposure I realised my body became discolored. My face and arms very dark while my laps and body very fair.
      I was using a moisturizer then but had to change to a mild lightening cream that has sunscreen. I don’t buy the whole idea of mixing different stuff, serums, oils, creams etc to become fair.
      My colour us now uniform. Lol. People see me and now say I’m bleaching, sigh. I’m like y’all need to see my baby pictures.
      I’m totally against bleaching and damaging your skin. Whoa! Each person should endeavour to be comfortable in their own skin.

• dlapikin July 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

If you are using a lightning cream, you are bleaching. What do you think bleaching is!?

• bsky July 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Aunty thank you ooo… it is bleaching…

• triangle July 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Lol. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

• ao July 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

@dlapikin. Are you saying that individuals should not treat skin conditions that cause hyperpigmentation, e.g., melasma, sunburn, hormonal changes due to pregnancy, medical condition, and/or aging?

• Idak July 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM

If you have to write that long sermon to justify your bleaching then just remember that God is watching you in 3D.

• Mz Socially Awkward... July 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

But why? Why is God watching her in 3D? Is He more concerned about her use of lightening creams than He is about someone else’s decision to relax their hair as opposed to rocking a naturally kinky afro? Or 99.7% of the Nigerian women (and, nowadays, a lot of men) who now have pierced ears they weren’t born with? They are all cosmetic enhancements in my eyes.

I dunno, just seems like we need to chill a little and consider whether somethings are really that serious. And no doubt, all some eejit (not necessarily you… unless it turns out to be you) is going to take from this response is a malformed conclusion that I must be bleaching or else, why would I take a stance with self-proclaimed bleachers? *Sigh*.

• huum July 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

lol. you are hilarious.

• Sarah Adebayo July 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Dear Triangle,
        Are you out of your mind or you think we readers are stupid, dummies , fool or all of the above. Dearest what you are doing is called: Mother – Bleaching.!!! capiche?

• Zero July 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We are all beautifulll…just the way we are..unique … I’d only be after someone with a good heart ‘n beautiful, no matter the colour men….

• Hurperyermie July 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

am also against bleaching am a dark person and a lot of people has adviced me to tone at least and i said no cos from toning i will graduate and once u bleach you cant come back to your original colour again

• Om01 July 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Nice! I kind of agree with you and I will love to be at this event.

• bella July 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM

hunmm!!! thank you ma for telling dem oo,the part i like is where u wrote* they are maintaining there skin*,which skin its all lies,big lie,why cant they maintain dark skin,genevive is proudly black,and beautiful,yvonne okoro dats anoda beauty,i sha thank God for myself sha,i no black,i no yellow,God has blessed me with an envious skin,there s no soap i no fit use,na dem sabi,we have a lot of them in d industry now,alot………dnt let me mention names,but most especially,yoruba actresss,u can hardly find black lady in dre industry now,for were….thanks once again,madam ariyike

• Ok o July 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hmh…this just reminds me of how African Americans also discriminate amongst themselves,they feel the light skinned ones are more superior than the really dark skinned ones.This is really a big issue here . I’m a bit light skinned while my sister is so dark and I can’t imagine me feeling superior cos am light skinned. Nigerians always look for problems for themselves and I blame ignorance for that.Skin being the largest organ in human body does need to be taken care of in better ways .sometimes u see bleached skin still looking dry. I still wonder how many people use sunscreen in Nigeria,how much of good food and water do people eat. There is more to taking good care of skin than bleaching.Be proud of your colour!

• Ola Blessed July 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM

It’s not just Nigerians and African Americans… Even Indians discriminate based on skin tone. I don’t know where this disparity originated from but yea I agree with you. Self-love needs to be imprinted in our generation and passed on to the coming ones.

• fresh July 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

What does it matter? Who cares really? Whats of utmost importance is how happy you are about yourself and how comfortable you are in your skin…I’ve noticed that some dark-skinned people just like to “beef” the light skinned ones – it is perceived that any light-skinned lady (natural or enhanced) is bleaching… especially bella naija commentators… get over yourselves already! how e take consain you? we ladies must learn to appreciate and not bring down…it’s either someone is too dark or too light or too fat or too thin! When we stop being harsh, people will start appreciating their looks and will feel free to own their skin tone, body size etc.

• Mz Socially Awkward... July 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM

All I know is that I’m fasting and praying to be able to advance into the category of using La-Mer. That cream is a pot of luxurious goodness and I can’t wait to start basking in its rich moisture….

It’s not about the complexion, people, it’s about the glow. And this is one thing I will always maintain – that Alec Wek is hands down one of the most beautiful women in the world, mainly because of her beautiful mahogany colour which she OWNS. I mean, that babe just sizzles in her chocolate fabulousness.

Don’t get lighter, just get your own unique glow and own it, that’s all you need to rock the skin you’re in.

• Mae July 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Hey Mz SA,

I posted a few things (in reply) to you but i’m guessing you haven’t seen them. I was wondering, how are you studying for the QLTS? Are you dong self-study? Would you mind terribly if we met up occasionally so you can help a sister in need (i.e. me) :) I’m really struggling. :(
        Pls say yes!

Tenz :) Annie

• Mz Socially Awkward... July 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Hey Mae, I’m really sorry, where did you post them? Yep, doing the QLTS (after many years of procastinating on the subject) and I’m happy to talk with you about my progress – what little I’ve made so far. Just sat my first part of the 3-stage process this year :-)

Can you leave some dets on here and I’ll contact you?

• Mae July 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Thanks so much! Maybe twitter? Then i can DM you other ‘sensitive’ info…lol. My handle’s anniefertiti. Is the result for the MCT out yet? I’m in luck seeing as YOU’ve done it & i (still) haven’t…smh at myself. Aluta continua, we press on. :D

• Mz Socially Awkward... July 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I’m a very inactive member of twitter but shall tweet thee shortly! :-)

• d baby July 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM

pls where can i get the cream nd how much? meanyle my ibo boys like fair ladies little wonder they all get married early, me sef wan be oyibo lolzzz

• i no send July 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

hmmm i use to steal some from the jar of my big aunty….loooool

• truthspeaks July 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

ITK – you are indeed socially awkward. Pray,tell…have you seen alek wek in person? ‘one of the most beautiful women in the world my behind’ *rolls eyes*

• Dora the explorer July 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

This is definitely a hot topic! Its a sensitive issue in Nigeria right now and I can’t wait to read all the other comments coming after mine.. lol
      Let me start by saying that the sun is not good for anybody whether white, brown or black exposure to the rays of sun constantly, damages the skin causing burns, ageing, skin cancer etc. Also some conditions such as Melasma are treated with topical agents (whitening creams and soaps).However these things are not for long term use, on the long run they would cause great damage to the skin, what you feed your skin goes into your blood so imagine what is floating in some women’s (these days men too) blood streams.. Finally be yourself.. if you have to derive confidence from skin colour then you havn’t started at all.. PEACE!!!

• Oyinade July 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’m just here to read the comments. lol

• Ibukun July 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Me Tewwww! lol

• simisola July 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

me 3! lol

• nene July 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM

WARRR! #team light skined# #yellowboneredboneandtinz# mscheww. i’m biracial but i never understood the superiority given to light skinned women, especially wen i see those stupid hashtags like what i wrote. beauty has very little to do with complexion, and a lot to do with facial structure and composition. i can start writing the names of many ugly light skinned/mixed race people. everyone is human and should be treated as such, with respect (unless you don’t respect yourself) and not preference for a certain type of person. seriously, few dark skinned girls in lagos. i hope these women/girls get back their self esteem and stop bleaching. even men are bleaching too.

• PYT July 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

#Teamdarkskinandproud

• natty July 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I am light skinned, I can easily pass for mixed race. I find it annoying when I see girls bleach, I feel its about inferiority complex, we should learn to love ourselves and body irrespective of our skin tone. Ariyike, your friend reminds me of me :). no time for any toning lotion et al. I used to be a firm believer in pears baby lotion, once a couple of friends asked me what cream I use when i told them pears, they were like I should stop lying na.

• uby July 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

LMAO!!! You sound like me girl. I am light-skinned as well and some people think I am also biracial, some can even swear I’m Ethiopian. The funny part is I have never used any toning/lightening/whatever cream people call it. I have a fine skin. Well, the secret I also always tell them is PEARS BABY LOTION. I mean that cream is cheap o but it is very good. I have been using PEARS BABY LOTION ever since I could see… :D

• Amy July 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You do realise that not everyone understands Yoruba right? I stopped reading the article after I noticed you did not provide a Translation to “Omo pupa o, omo pupa l’emi fe“.

Your Article is about there being a line between the light skinned and the dark skinned. Your Article creates a line between those who understand Yoruba and those who don’t…

• Oyinmomo July 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

So you stopped reading the article because she didn’t translate one Yoruba sentence? So many sentences there and you stopped reading because you didn’t understand one? and you deduced that the sentence creates a lingual barrier? One single sentence? God of Mercy!! Chances are you are a tribalistic person.

• Bellabells July 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You were simply to lazy to read the article!Abeg siddon jare!Mcheww

• slice July 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM

“light skinned lady, it’s a light skinned lady that I want” ….that’s the meaning. now go back to reading :)

• Oyinade July 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM

lol. I love your comment

• zsa zsa July 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Na wa to you o….so u no understand that one line you come just abandon the whole article. You sabi vex o.

• ao July 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM

@Amy,
        I understand your annoyance actually with the lack of translation. It’s very myopic to write an article intended for all Nigerians and then use a sentence in a language that is not universal to Nigeria, but yet expect all Nigerians to understand it.

• Hustle and Flow July 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Na wah o…just cos of one sentence, you stopped. I am sure you finished reading and couldnt find anything constructive to say but you sha wanted to say something…..Point taken and am sure ricky would take note and subtitle one liners for peeps like you.

• cali July 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

get over it…

• Really? July 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Just want to ask, when you are reading an English article and the author writes “Je ne comprends pas mais c’est la vie”, do you stop reading it because you don’t understand french, find a translation for it or do you continue and leave that one sentence alone?

• pynk July 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Folks just need to reconcile their views of themselves. No color is prettier or uglier. i agree with the whole all lagos girls are half caste – with long brazillian hair. I’m mixed raced with dark elbows, people have tried to sell me egyptian milk, everyone can tell you how to feel about yourself, but only you determine how u ultimately feel. I always simply think God didn’t make a mistake when he was creating me- end of the story.
      There’s really no such thing as maintaining, its skin altercation – bleaching is bleaching.

• Bellabells July 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I am darkskinned but have a light skin mother and I have heard all sort of ignorant comments . People will be like “Your mom is so yellow, what happened to you”??.I have always been proud of my dark skin and I never even knew light skinned girls were supposed to be the pretty ones till i got to Uni. Light or dark, who cares!We all can’t be one skin tone. That being said, not everyone with dark knuckles is bleaching and it irks the heck out of me when I read bleaching accusations on blogs, its like everyone has turned to bleaching police. I for one, I my knuckles,are somewhat darker than the rest of my body and if my picture appeared on this blog, some idiot will accuse me of bleaching!

Now to Ariyke’s question, bleaching, hair relaxing,weaves,colored contacts etc kinda fall under one big umbrella of “Trying to look like somebody else”. While the others are not as drastic, bleaching is done with the notion of “I want to get rid of my dark skin”. I can’t for the life of me get why someone with brown eyes, wants to wear blue contacts??It’s so stupid if you really think about it!

• Miss Anonymous July 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Ariyike, even this picture of yours was photoshopped. Mschew! Charity begins at home.

• Hustle and Flow July 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

• Thatgidigirl July 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Ask Rukky sanda

• Duduyemi July 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

and her cream mixers. shior!!

• DeMorrieaux July 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This is extremely interesting to me. This phenomenon of being “light(er) skinned”.
      It’s even funnier, as to those you aspire to become/look like, you’re still “just black”.

I was born and bred in Austria. Then, the “black community” was pretty small; and that community included everyone who had the slightest trace of “Black” in him. No one cared whether you had a mixed race, white or even transparent parents; you had some black? You were black! And you stood out for it. You were it. No point hiding, or shading it.
      And so, knowing there was nowhere to hide, you embraced it. It became cool. If not to anyone, to you. I’ve never known to be ashamed for/of it. In class, being friends with the black kid (even in racist Austria) became a cool thing.
      I moved to Lagos for the first time at the beginning of the year and have never felt this aware of my skin-tone. I love it and I do not feel tempted to experiment on it. Not in the least. I just find it funny, in a sad-kinda-way, that one’s darkness should be a stumbling block in a “dark land” and I’m the only “dark skinned” lady at my office.

Quite ironic, really..

• Madam the Madam July 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM

To be honest, I don’t understand why people are so concerned with other people’s activities. If a woman has decided to bleach her life away, so what? Is it your skin? I personally am not here to drink panadol for anybody’s headache. If you want to bleach or enhance yourself in any manner, then do you.

To the person who mentioned the hastags such as #Teamlightskinned, please note that there are also the #Teamdarkskin hashtags or Tumblr/IG sites such as “Browngirlskillingit” etc etc so everybody is joining hand to create this demarcation.

Overall I think that no matter your complexion, be confident in who you are and don’t be too bothered with comparing yourself with the next woman, or thinking you’re better than or less than.

• labelle July 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

GBAM!!!! honestly, we are all adults ( most of us anyway) and if someone decides to bleach, that’s cool, as long as you don’t come and ask me for money for food cos you need to buy ‘cream to maintain ya colour’. The risks of skin lightening are there, very public,so if someone decides to take that risk, wetin concern me? I’m too busy living mehn.

• Onondje bathsheba July 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

black o white just love who you are feel confident in your skin lol

• asgrl July 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Skin Cancer is real. So sad to read this article and some of the comments. After i watched the dark girls documentary on the OWN channel. I said to myself “Thank God I grew up in Nigeria”. I never grew up having a complex about my chocolate skin. The symbols of beauty in the country looked just like me. Ruth Benemisia Opia, Joke Silva, Nike Osinowo etc.

I grew up believing bleaching or toning was something low class women did. Its sad to see how this “toning” mentality has seeped into our society. Its not cute.

• Ready July 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

+1. I sha know that I will not be raising money to “Save Rukky” or whomever when this skin cancer kwanta starts. No, superstitious Third World mentality people, I’m not wishing evil on anyone. Fact is, bleaching leads to skin cancer and other orisi…so it’s bound to happen. And I, *insert government name here* shall not be donating! O tan.

Note: I bet Amy won’t finish reading my comment because I didn’t translate. Ngwa, iwo lo mo.

• natty July 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Bleaching has become so common in our society, that it is now seen as a norm people have forgotten about the harmful effects of bleaching.

• birdieblue July 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Thank you dear. I was wondering when the issue of medical reasons not to bleach will come up. Yes we should all be confident in what God has given us but seriously even if you don’t believe in God or your just doing it to please someone else, cancer and the risk of continuous skin infection is a reason not to bother with the whole bleaching process. I mean even the word bleaching raises red flags doesn’t it e.g. cleaning toilets and whitening your white uniforms?

• Genevieve N. vs Gabrielle U. July 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

@Mz SA , Shiseido skincare range is also a good option, and La-Mer cream is indeed a pot luxurious goodness. love ‘em :)

• Mz Socially Awkward... July 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Noted! I’ve used one of the Shiseido eye creams before (it didn’t impress me too much, unlike my usual Estee L) and currently trying out their foaming wash. Thanks for the heads-up :-)

• obitalk July 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I personally like dark skinned ladies, the agbanies, oluchi and Genevieve are my type. I actually love dark skin so much that I mildly make myself dark just a bit. How you may wonder, I use darker powder on my face (big smiles) and I blend it in, but when I pull off my clothes you ll see I am fair and my relatives like to yab me because of it but they all know I really like the darkened effect. I also think it may be a gene thing cos one of my brothers particularly does not have an iota of attraction for fair skinned ladies.

But really complexion thingy is no big deal thats why I m shocked at some of the example riyike gave such as getting a job on skin tone. thats just stupid!

• bella July 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM

all am going to say here is for us all to be proud of our skin,dont hide under the shadow of # skin maintenance# eat well,sleep well,exercise well.i think an adage says you are what you eat,its not only about getting fat,good food makes ur skin glow,i know that.My skin looks more beautiful during dry season,do u know what i use,ORI-SHEA BUTTER,my friends don’t believe me.well,i believe God has given everybody good skin,d only maintenance is to maintain it well.stay blessed.

BELLASTRADA

• CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM` July 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It’s a phase that will pass…Light Skin color right now is like a fashion “MUST HAVE”.

• www.myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com July 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I’m just going to give facts, I feel like every other day this topic is raised.

1. One of the biggest issues facing black women when it comes to skincare is Hyperpigmentation, this is because we produce MORE melanin, and our body is triggered to produce even more when it is inflammed (i.e excessive sun exposure, using the wrong products, pimples etc)

2. To deal with this issue we have lightening creams, serums etc. Now these products were not created for everyday use, maximum amount of time to use them 3 months, and you are to use them with sunscreen everyday.

3. In the case of the Products vs. People, you have to blame the people for abusing it, because these products will always be made to treat this problem. Simple Lemon Juice and rubbing Vaseline will NOT treat Pigmentation issues.

4. A commenter wrote, if you bleach you will not return to your original color, this is partially true. Most fade creams/gels work by reducing the activity of your melanocytes (they produce melanin), they don’t “Kill” them off, the only known ingredient that actually “kills” pigment is the one found in creams created ONLY for those with Vitiligo. If you don’t have Vitiligo, DO NOT USE those products.

5. For those praising La Mer, yes it is luxurious and fantastic, but guess what, so is Shea Butter. A lot of these luxurious brands that we hail and praise were created for an older/aging (55+) consumer, that have very DRY (unable to produce Oil) skin types.

Moral of the Story: When you use the RIGHT products for YOUR skin type, you will look your BEST! Everyone just LOVE the Skin you’re in!

• Iris July 23, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Light-skinned girls, your pimples and acne will show more. Dark-skinned girls, if you try to wear a brown weave like Nadia Buari you may end up looking dirty instead of classy, so what colour skin should we switch to next? Everybody please stop stressing, drink plenty of water, use coconut oil and be nice to all the men that are checking you out. You’ll be alright.

• Abana July 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, all oils make me tan. Its like my skin starts to brown the way onions brown in hot oil. But yeah, lots of water and vegetables. I believe good skin starts from the inside. I like to make a juice of bright coloured vegetables (bell peppers, carrots and the like) and take multivitamins.

• Msunderstood July 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Lol, I feel u. Life is too short for serenre.

• birdieblue July 24, 2013 at 4:14 AM

• Engel July 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I dont really believe this water stuff cos ma boss drinks daily 3-4 big bottles of eva water during working hours since i started working for him in 2008. yet his skin is as dry as the dry season leaves. mtcheww

• Lynxx & Emma Nyra are Nigeria wackest artist alive! July 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

This issue have come to stay,and I’m nt loosing sleep over it..I’ve really come across some really dark skinned ladies who are super gorgeous,and have equally come across fair skinned ladies who are really very ugly,so I’ve really come to the conclusion that one skin tone does not make one beautiful and vice versa…To each his own anyway,why trying so hard to justify this complexion issues anyway???

• Msunderstood July 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Just to let u know that I like ur name. LOL.

• yaals July 24, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Hahahaha I love your name. To funny

• BimOgz July 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Interestingly, this is a matter that is very dear to my heart. I have endless arguments with my friends over this issue. Whilst some are of the opinion that “its their body, their choice” others oppose based on the side effects of bleaching.
      I generally believe that there is a fundamental problem with faulty mindsets and a pandemic societal issue.
      Arguably, many people have succumbed to the societal pressure of been a certain shade after doors of opportunities were slammed in their faces on the basis of their skin shade. (Only the other day, someone was saying to me to give myself an English name as it might help with my job search. Naturally, i was mortified! God forbid). This injustice is more obvious and prevalent in some societies more than others. It happened to those that have gone before us more openly but we cannot deny the existence of this matter even in the modern day. On the other hand, some do it because of low self-esteem issues; believing that the “light skinned person” is better than they are. As the author also pointed out, there is also the fact that generally, the human race is “insatiable” whilst some others do it to defy the notion of a supreme being ( I am not even joking). Many cosmetic procedures these days- Aren’t they a way to alter a part of us that we are not particularly pleased with? Arguably, isn’t that “playing god”? but let me move on before some people get cynical. Just a thing to bear in mind.
      Some people in this forum argue that alterations like piercings all have a side effect. true, but the fact remains that some are less damaging than others. Piercing on one hand, the skin can heal (IF no complications eg infection). A bleached skin on the other, will have more everlasting effect and possibly, nearly-irreversible consequences. Imagine a bleached person was involved in an accident and their skin needs a graft? How can u compare that to having a piercing?
      My thoughts are muddled but above all, societal pressures and faulty mindsets are largely responsible, as they are for a lot of things. Its important for people to understand that ones skin colour in a sense, forms a part of ones identity and if societal pressures succeeds in stealing that away from you, in a sense, you have lost a part of your identity, values and pride.
      The Bible encourages us to “renew our minds”. If we don’t, we will settle for many things that aren’t worth while.
      This doesn’t just apply to bleaching. It applies to a host of other issues.

• Nora July 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

i would probably never understand why some people enhance/alter their complexion.

• zsa zsa July 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Here’s what i think.

Its a free world, do what you want with your skin but be fully aware of the consequences. Skin lightening/maintenance/toning to me all = bleaching.
      As Ms S Awkward mentioned, it is about the glow….if you have unhealthy habits including poor diet, smoking, poor hygiene…my people…no amount of skin maintenance will help.
      If your insides are healthy it will show outside…your skin, nails, hair in most cases will glow but most especially your skin. Nigerian ladies pls USE SUN SCREEN, this will prevent sun damage and reduce the rate at which your skin darkens due to sun exposure.
      I am light skinned with very dry sensitive skin, harmattan in naija used to drive me crazy….dont get me started on sun exposure, you should see me once i spend a couple of minutes under the sun…parts of my face turn red, brown, dark brown and so on. Folks told me to use all sorts…clear essence, fair and white, mix tura with this and that. My mum told me not to listen to all that, plus i no even get money for all those ones. Once i left naija and was in better control of my finances, environment and diet i noticed several changes. I started using and still use dove products, drink lots of water, exercise, use sunscreen, increased my fruit and veggie intake, my skin stopped cracking and my skin tone became more even.
      Know what works for your skin…shea butter is great for my hair but not my skin as it just sits on my skin, same with coconut oil.
      Last last, know thyself and appreciate what the Lord has blessed you with….happiness also works wonders for the skin :)

• HRH July 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I think it all balls down to PEER PRESSURE, INSECURITY and LOW SELF ESTEEM….. Why can’t human beings be satisfied with what God gave them??? SERIOUSLYyyyyyyyyy……. After bleaching, they go for boob job, after that, they go for bum job and finish up with tummy tuck then they drop dead and their family will not recognise them…. I rest my case…. God is watching you all….

• carliforniabawler July 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM

No one is saying anything about the reverse discrimination against guys!! choi!! It was bad while I was growing up. In fact, till date I’m still not attracted to light-skinned guys. It was weird that light-skinned girls were oyinbo (Caucasian) but the guys were referred to as afin (albino).
      I remember one yellow boy from my secondary school….it was bad! One time he crossed his boundaries and decided to toast a girl from my ‘click’….after spending like an hour dissing him, we concluded that no one wanted to eat his yellow banana…hehehehehe! we were such spoiled little brats!!

• carliforniabawler July 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I remember one yellow boy from my secondary school….it was bad! One time he crossed his boundaries and decided to toast a girl from my ‘clique’…after spending like an hour dissing him, we concluded that no one wanted to eat his yellow banana…hehehehehe! we were such spoiled little brats!!

• Xxxx July 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM

If you don’t like how you look,change it. We will all die,the skin and body components will decay!if you bleach,that’s ur baby.if you don’t bleach,ur cup of tea.if bleaching/toning makes you sleep well at night…go ahead.My opinion,insult me if you like.ive said my own.

• PCE July 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

The funny thing about this is that the white people love and adore the really dark skin, look at the celebrated supermodels, most of them have rich dark chocolate skin. I do have dark skin and I got the most insults from Black people calling me all sorts of names, if I were weak with no family support and love, I would have bleached my skin as well. When I moved abroad, the white people adore my skin and if you check the black men they are dating the mixed race or white girls but the white guys go for the dark skin black girls. This is self-hatred at its finest which stemmed from Slavery, Colonialism, Media and now propagated by black people. So we need to really teach everyone that all skin is beautiful even if it is the lightest caramel or the darkest chocolate.

• Onondje bathsheba July 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

hmm that LEMAR creme na like 40K for one Jar,
      That my salary for one Month i no fit Hug transformer hey hey hey,, i rather stick to the original shea butter i get from wuse market women, where you buy 5 cut for 100 naira

• Goddessss July 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

it is incorrect to call people half-caste. Mixed race is more appropriate.

• deep July 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Ariyike is always flip flopping with her views. Pls, if u don’t have a clear. well-researched and convincing argument, don’t write public articles. You sound like you want to please both teams. Here is one example amidst all your kumbayah comments: “Is social media putting pressure on black people to enhance their skin colour?”

ABEG, WHAT IS “ENHANCE” AGAIN???!!! If that’s what you can draw up as your punchline then it means you are subconsciously alluding that dark skin needs “enhancement”. And that alone does not make you very different from the ones that advise bleaching, etc…

All I’m saying is, if you have point of view, you WILL offend people. Be prepared to do so!

• Nesstradamus July 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

EVERYONE’S FACE IS DARKER THAN THEIR BODY PLEASE, INCLUDING LIGHT-SKINNED PEOPLE

• ao July 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Not true. My toddler’s face is noticeably lighter than the body and has been this way since birth. All natural.

• makeupbyebi July 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I guess my opinion/s has been voiced already :-) enough said ! interesting topic and commentaries…..

• Phatgirlsbwinning July 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Ok, I am officially done with this light skin vs dark skin topic. Luv the freakin skin ure in and if u don’t ….lighten it or tan it and keep it moving…good gosh! How long will this same topic remain relevant? Every time we discuss it, we give it life again and give someone out there a new complex to worry about.

• Samantha July 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

@ready lmaoooooooooo would not raise money to save Ruky Sanda. i haff faint. that just made my day. lol

• eniola July 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Just last week, i saw a girl i used to know back at pre-degree days about seven years ago. whom i was a bit fairer than, – i’m a proud sweet chocolatha* looking like Toke Makinwa and she was already assuming that i ignored her intentionally because she was still in school and i was with my work colleagues. I hugged her and told her i couldn’t recognize her because she used to be darker than i am, saying that loud enough for people close enough to hear she just said ”o serious”. After exchanging all the pleasantries and everything i jokingly told her that ” madam if i want to come and pay you a visit now, how do i describe you to your neighbors, will i say that fair anty or that dark anty because the so-so person i know is dark o? We both laughed and said our goodbyes. For me, changing my skin color spells lack of self esteem. You just can’t be yourself in your own skin which is your number one means of identification.

• ao July 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Until the rewards for being light-skinned are removed from society, people of color, black, Asian, etc., will continue to bleach their entire body.

• FRIED RICE July 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM

THE FACT IS WHEN PEOPLE LIKE EKU EDUWOR OR WHAT EVER HER NAME IS ARE CONSTANTLY BEING PROMOTED THINGS CANT CHANGE! THERE IS A DOUBLE STANDARD IN THE BLK COMMUNITY. WHEN I MAN IS TOO LIGHT SKINNED ITS LIKE EWW BUT WHEN ITS A WOMAN ITS NICE! I NOTCED THAT ITS ALWAYS THE WOMAN IN COMMERCIALS THAT ARE HIGH YELLOW WHILE THE MAN IS JUST BLACK. IT ALSO OCCURS IN ASIAN COMMUNITIES SO ITS NOTHING NEW. BUT I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE TELL BLACK GIRLS TO GET OVER IT AND THAT THEY HAVE “LOW SELF-ESTEEM” COLOR ISSUES OBVIOUSLY AFFECTS INCOME ALSO. IF EKU AND TOKE AND THEIR LIGHT SKINNED COUNTERPARTS CAN GET ALL THESE HOSTING JOBS COME ON, A DARK SKINNED GIRL IS GOING TO THINK SHE HAS TO BLEACH BECAUSE TO BE HONEST WE ALL KNOW THOSE POEPLE ARE NOT HIERED FOR THEIR TALENTS.

• Amira July 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Is it that hard for people to develop self acceptance/confidence. All this crap about dark vs light is old topic. People engrossed and obsessed with it should go get another hobby or see a therapist on how to love yourself. Responsible men, don’t care as long as they find a woman they are compatible with and even if lighter skin women get more media attention what difference has it made in their lives. It’s the same blood running through our system, the same vagina and the same problems in life they face. It’s even more pathetic to hear Africans/ Nigerians involve in thy rubbish bcos majority of the country are dark skin. If black Americans go through it it’s more understanding bcos they are forced to live in a white predominant country. So, Nigerians stop with the bleaching, toning and learn to accept your dark skin, kinky hair, brown color eyes and enjoy life.

• miss July 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

was looking to point this fact out till I read your post. it is understandable for African americans(though not so cool in my opinion) but for Africans/Nigerians it is a NO NO.close to 200million people with MAJORITY being blacks common people. when I was getting darker here cause I was exposing myself to excess sun than in naija and I just couldn’t stand peoples “you are getting dark” comment I tried st.ives with AHA complex, apparently I didn’t read the instruction “avoid sun when using it” I went from 2 shades dark to almost 20 shades darker. men I ran back to my dove and shea butter. I remember buying 1 egg cream in naija then back in the days(my face is lighter than my body and honey works more on my skin not face), so I searched for it when I was here and my search lead me to 1 Chinese company online (thought the pack said newyork). people need to be careful with bleaching cream cause they don’t have a company where it’s being manufactured and there is no 1 to sue. at the end of the day to each their own.

• Amira July 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

And, being is not a crime and should not be treated as one. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Lighter skin automatically means pretty or beautiful is one I’d the biggest lie ever. Yeah. Society or media always push whatever but it doesn’t mean it should dictate your life. I’m irritated that Nigerians are that much enslaves in this nonsense of white, lighter is better. Long, Peruvian, Brazilian hair is better. Didnt our grandmothers do their hair and marry and were considered beautiful with their natural hair, darker complexion and everything. So please let’s go back to been in our natural state and learn to look in the mirror and accept your flaws and who you are.

• eritreansolomon July 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Iam eritrean lady engaged to wonderful nageria man, i love this blog by the way. I honestly understand how most girls feel because it hit close to home. My sis in law was dark skinned when we met,3yrs later shes so light almost like an egyptian. I wonder wat caused her to damaged her skin so much she kept telling me and hating me when i started dating her brother cause of my skin etcc..now that we are friends she said men always passe her for a lightskinned gal. I wonder if its her thoughts that turned into reality or just anatha viction

• Tania July 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

@Deep 9.34am if you have nothing to write then you better keep quiet. When you publish your first article then you can tell BN to publish it for you so we can all read. I am a blogger and I like the way Ariyike used her words and I commend her for not using the word “bleaching” throughout her write up. This skin palavar has always been a problem for me. I’m the only yellow girl in my house. My step sisters are very dark and anytime I go astray, they always say it is because I’m yellow. Now, the oldest of them is seriously bleaching and smelly.

• Chi July 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Preach FRIED RICE! I was just having this convo with a friend. Is this is Eku chic really talented? I mean she is everywhere basically due to her complexion (and looking white). Quite frankly it is disgusting! I mean when she was in London she couldn’t even get a break and the moment she came to Naija she blew up! Like really? I am not hating at all, no need for that. I am just stating the facts, life is unfair to dark skinned women and generally easier for lighter skinned women. So it is not even that we dark women want to be light, we just do not appreciate the unrighteous playing field that automatically put us on the bottom of the barrel. Which explains why many dark skinned women bleach, they do it in order to be able to play and survive in the game of life. Its not right, but it seems like this is the way it is and it is not about to change. GOD knows best, there is a special place in heaven for dark skinned women after all the pain and injustice we experience!

• creamy July 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

i was watching a clip on youtube the other day on skin bleaching in Jamaica, men! I was mortified, growing up in Isale-eko (down town lagos island) made me detest bleaching, a lady can change from dark skinned to yellow face, white upper arms caramel lower arms white torso and thighs and white/green/pinkish-red lower legs and feet in that order all in one night.
      I believe u should know what works for you, I love coconut oil (pure) but i’ll end up looking like roasted meat, I know people who use shea butter and they have fabulous skin but some people use it and get burnt, so know your skin type and know what your body likes, your skin hair and nails are a reflection of what is going on inside of you, eat right sleep right exercise are good tips to great tips. Aloe vera gel (not the processed ones) is a great scar remover and honey is a great moisturizer just use as mask and rinse off.
      Lastly (lol) chocolate skinned sisters please don’t hide come out abeg, tired of seeing all the artificial yellow girls everywhere. ;)

• Wale July 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Men that marry bleached light skinned women have regular black babies. Food for thought. Bleaching creams do not modify your genes. Most of our mothers used strong bleaching creams like Venus the milo without sunscreen when they were younger, can’t recall any of them developing skin cancer. Whatever works, to each their own.

• Omo Ghana July 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

it’s funny, I always wanted to be darker skinned like my friends. I got teased so much for being the lightest skinned person in my class throughout primary school – in fact, plantain was the known suffix to my name! then growing up, when the acne started, I definately wanted darker skin! my face looked like a pizza (uuurrrgghhhhhh!! :( )…
      Thankfully, all those phases have come and gone and I am 100% happy with my complexion these days…plus, there’s nothing NC45 cannot cover!! :)

All I will say here is that no skin tone is better than the other – they all have their flaws and they are all BEAUTIFUL as they come!! x

• Xx August 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Wow, I feel like I wrote this. Always loved dark skin, even more when I had bad acne n spots I worked to be darker, instead I just looked dirty from being in the sun. Tried lightening creams for my spots but they only emphasized the spots and gave me a lighter face not a good look, hd to stop. Microdermabrasion worked but when I couldn’t get to where I got fruit peels n microdermabrasion again I had to give it up, plus it was expensive and it all went down the drain when i had a bad bout of acne. Acne scaring was a nightmare till I found a two step program that worked, a soap with no hydro quinine and neomedrol. Haven’t looked back since. Beauty is about features not complexion and I have never set out to get lighter only tried to get rid of spots. Now I am happy in my skin, few blemishes but not serious and they fade quicker than before. If u have odd features, ur complexion won’t matter. Dark skinned girls should stop being insecure. A guy would like me and some idiot will have the balls to try and belittle me and say it’s because I’m light skinned totally ignoring my features and personality and this same guys like all complexions, but just happened to like me and it will now be narrowed down to my complexion. That is stupid and annoying. There are many beautiful dark skinned women that get more attention than I do cuz they might have more appealing or European features, when that happens, it is not a problem, but when I get more attention, it’s cuz I’m light skinned. Get over yourselves, you are creating a fake problem. Mostly ugly dark skinned girls make this up. My hot dark skinned friends get lots of attention and have no problem getting jobs. Men are not stupid and only shallow idiotic men pick women based on their complexion. Now stop pointing fingers at the wrong folks during your witchhunt and let people be. If someone’s bleaching, the consequence will be theirs n it will be evident sooner or later somhow is this your concern. The focus should be teaching everyone to love themselves as they are generally and not segregating people.

• Xx August 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Pls ignore the typos. Just tired. Mixed tenses up n auto correct was on some nonsense.

• ugh July 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Honestly this is a sensitive topic. Yes it’s true people want to favour light skinned girls. That’s how society has made it. I’m a light skinned girl and it’s sad when I see people pick one color over the other.And to that very first comment I think she meant to say skin toning like when I go out in the summer.I stay outside so my skin looks so discolored my nose us like dark then my forehead is lighter cause of the hat. So I used okay cream to tone it. Let’s not put the blame on when color it’s society. Society made one skin color favorite over the other color. It’s good to see that every color is being accepted. It’s up to every color to accept who they are and not let society change you.

• Oyin July 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I’m very dark skin, and never felt less or overlooked. I really don’t understand the trend of treating dark skin as a curse or victimization of dark skin girls. Or the notion that every dark skin girl wish they can be lighter, it’s wrong. Intact, they need to do a documentary about dark skin girls who love their skin and feel confident being dark, I will be the first line. It’s an individual issue and people should get to the bottom of their problem bcos changing ur outward will not fix ur inner issues. My cousin is mixed race, she got all the attention growing up. People treated her like gold, even till now. Guys always want to date or marry her. She uses her looks to get what she wants. But, she’s extremely insecure. Nobody sees and knows what she goes through internally outside of the compliments/attention that is constantly showered on her. We both had a deep discussion weeks ago, she said at this age, she’s not settled down and still trying to figure out herself. If having lighter skin was the solution to problems or a boost, she should be living a perfect life. My point is, people act like been lighter skin is a gift or ticket to a perfect life. The society or people don’t dictate my life. I know, I am beautiful and nobody can tell me otherwise. I’m thankful to God for my life. I’m happily married for 5yrs now, I have a great husband, who is also dark skin tells me how beautiful i am, i have a great job and life is good. My skin color is not and never been an hindrance. There’s more to life than women hating or thinking they are superior bcos of their skin color. What about work on ur inner self, character or personality.

P.S I understand, how skin pigmentation/discloration can be a problem for African women. But, darker knees, elbow, face can happen to anybody even lighter skin women. One thing, I find is using the regular simple products is the best solution. I know cocoa/shea butter with almond oil has worked wonders to even tone my skin. the goal is to exfoliate dead skin, make it even not change the color of ur skin.

• Xx August 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

God bless you, we need more voices like yours. I sat with two, hate to say this, but not so attractive girls ranting that men pass them over because of their complexion, resisted the urge to tell them that was probably not why, when I have very pretty dark skinned friends that get attention all over the world and even more from Nigerian men. It is an internal thing and a crutch for some people when things are not going their way. Attention will always be given to attractive people, but that doesn’t make them happier or better, sometimes it’s a curse “self”. Love yourself and be confident and the right folks will notice and you will get what you deserve for believing in yourself. All skin tones are beautiful and there are more skin tones than dark and light, there are people in-between. What should those ones do in this chocolate vs. vanilla war? Lol… Don’t hear light skinned men complaining about dark skinned men being chosen over them, no roles for Shemar Moore or Boris Kodjoe cuz they look cheesy for black men, while Idris Elba, Lance Gross and Morris Chesnut are getting all the major roles. Don’t hear them complaining or throwing shade, because they are CONFIDENT in themselves and find other avenues to be relevant instead of starting a dark skinned men bash party.

• Very light or toned is fab for me.

• David July 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM

After reading this. The 53 extra girls, Dolapo Oni and Eku Edewor’s names came to my mind. Dolapo=dark, well spoken, good to watch on Tv, intelligent, talented, beautiful, under hyped. Eku=molato, struggling with her presentation on tv, beautiful, over hyped. Maybe that was one of the reasons why Dolapo moved to Ebony Life tv

• toju July 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM

i am really dark, i choose not to bleach bcos am comfortable in my own skin. Nigeria and Africans generally dont appreciate dark skinned girls, soo they bleach to get that attention they are deprived of……………….i am really dark, and i can tell you that i am the last to be noticed in a room. people’s first impression is that am ugly.

• merci July 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

i think the most important thing be you fair or dark is a healthy skin,an attractive personality,and a lovely smile. so you work in to any where, standing tall and looking very radiant,i bet you, eyes will roll. dont question God by trying to bleach!

• june August 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I and my younger brother are fair after my dad, and my two older sisters are dark taking after my mum. I grew u in Nigeria until I was 11, and I would sit under the sun everyday when I come home from school. I just loved the warm feeling the sun gave me.

Moved to London, fast forward 5yeras later, my skin became very uneven especially my neck, some parts were hyper-pigmentated, and other parts were hypo-pigmentated. I just ignored it until I was 21…statred going to see dermatologist who diagnosed it from psoriasis, eczema and hypo pigmentation. The best treatment was a course of sun bed to even out my skin again. But then it got worse. But because the sun is not much in London it was manageable with applying makeup on my neck to conceal the pigmentations. I had tried different products when I was like 21 to even it out but nothing worked, as my skin was too sensitive.

But I kind of got used to the notion of having bad skin until I came back to Nigeria last year at the ripe age of 29. And people would react very badly to my skin..they’d wonder why I just don’t bleach to even it out. I began feeling so bad..and the sun further aggravated the dark parts.

Anyway in short last month – I bought Palmer’s Skin Success Eventone Fade Milk, and thank goodness it’s clearing up my neck. . I plan to use it for 3months. But mainly I invested in sunscreen – so the dark parts wouldn’t get darker.

So my point is if you have hyper-pigmentation – then you should treat it. But it gets a bit silly when someone decides to go form Naomi Campbell’s colour to Halle’s. It never works because eventually you become really ashy and all the pigments will go to the joints. Ever wonder why some high yellow women have dark knuckles, knees, feet? Think about it…if you skin is even..then love it…if not then treat it.

• Flor August 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Bless your heart Ariyike…..I love my skin colour always av n always wil tho my face is darker than d rest of my body I dunn care

• Toluwani August 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Being a darker than average Nigerian girl, this issue is very close to my heart. Light skin is generally more attractive than dark skin, it’s a fact. The human eye is generally drawn to brightly coloured things, babies are a perfect example. I guess this translates to the fact that darker skinned girls have to try harder to get noticed. My main problem with all this is the way people treat dark skin as a flaw. These days dark skin is viewed as something you have to make up for. “She’s fine but she’s dark”. What is the ‘but’ doing in that statement? I’m a moderately successful fashion model (I have pics on here) so I know all about true beauty lying in the bones of your face and all that. I will not apologise for my dark skin. I’ll conclude with my mantra “If I can’t be dark skinned in peace in Africa then where am I supposed to go?”

• Jirla August 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

@Toluwani: Help me ask o! When will all this nonsense stop! Is it that a dark person can find no solace in the world, even in Africa! When we are not proud of who we are how can we ever progress? This backward, myopic and downright shameful attitude that light is better disgusts me to the core. Can we stand up for blackness for once? If we havent noticed… if we dont nobody else will. I cant think of anywhere in the world where being dark is celebrated …then we discriminate against ourselves too ?????If you are light good for you if you are dark nothing wrong with that! Low self esteem is what pressurizes us to conform to oyibo standards of beauty. So tey… my little neice who is dark skinned started developing a complex…I called her black beauty and she started crying that black is ugly…I was heart broken. Where do you think she picked that from…from all the overt and covert attempts to convince us that light skinned means beautiful. We have to stop or we undermine ourselves.