Posted on Monday, November 18th, 2013 at 10:22 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Akon & Wizkid - November 2013 - BellaNaija

It seems with Akon and Wizkid, it’s the lighter the better.

The music superstars are under fire for allegations that the pair refused dark skinned girls from appearing in a music video in Ghana. They requested for mixed race ladies.

Fashion Ghana is reporting that some Ghanaian models were asked to participate by directors in an upcoming video shoot a few days ahead of the D-Day.

A  model allegedly claimed that on the day of the shoot some girls were asked to leave as the agent for the video shoot, stated that “they (Akon & Wizkid) now want half-caste girls“.

The publication also reports that the dark skinned ladies turned away, were asked to seek light skinned girls because Wizkid and Akon were adamant on the request on late notice.

We often hear in Hollywood, how dark skinned African-American actresses like Viola Davis and Gabrielle Union lose roles to light skinned actresses like Halle Berry and Nicole Ari Parker.

Do you find their requests offensive? Are they wrong for choosing the type of women they want for their music videos?

Let’s Talk about it!

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 144 Comments on “Let’s Talk About It! Akon & Wizkid reportedly Refuse Dark Skinned Ladies from Video Shoot in Accra | Request for “Half-Caste””

Comments
    • uh-huh November 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Akon and im jacket sef na the same color
      i no know which one light pass

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

As in, he just set himself up for some proper abuse of the “pot-kettle-BLACK” variety if this horse-crap is indeed true…

• Samantha November 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

BN the correct term is “MIXED RACE” and not half caste, please adjust this accordingly as half caste is seen as a racist and derogatory term.

• Ogg November 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It was a quoted phrase. So the person you should have this quarrel with is the agent who was quoted or Akon & Wizkid if he was merely repeating what they told him. Not Bella

• slice November 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

i don’t half caste is deemed a racist term in
          Nigeria/Ghana.

• vicki osunde November 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

so correct half caste is offensive

• LC November 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Samantha because that was exactly what the person said, he insinuated racism otherwise the model wouldn’t have been offended.

• tunmi November 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM

since when was half-caste offensive? This reminds me of
          Americanah when the friend of the main character said she did not
          know she was supposed to have or develop issues because she was
          half-caste. Half-caste is a description, not something
          offensive.

• Bunmi November 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Non white people are usually insecure about their skin color, hair, & identity. We all want to be like these white people that age like milk (age really fast). It is pathetic. Asian women bleach their skin, perform eye surgeries, dye their hair blonde, get into relationships with white men because it’s seen a class thing. While these black men are allegedly requesting mixed video vixens our sisters & some of our brothers are bleaching their lives away. I envy dark skinned people and their beautiful, rich, cocoa butter, glowing skin. Bleaching is disgusting.

• July November 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

The nerve! Look at that picture of Akon, he is melting into his black leather jacket ever so seamlessly with his crude oil, velvet, navy blue self and he has the audacity to turn away women who aren’t light in complexion? The nerve! Pot Kettle Akon Black!

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to have their preference and artists are entitled to go with industry norms and what sells. Don’t know what the video would have entailed but whether the girls would have been dark as midnight or light bright, it most likely would have been a video objectifying women and aint nobody got time for all that regardless of skin tone.

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Again, my brethren, you have spoken into the heart of the matter. As if women should embrace being sexualized as video vixens, simply because all relevant skin-tones are being equally represented on the set… that’s akin to asking if we should rise up in arms because not enough dark skinned women have been accounted for in the Playboy mansion. Let’s unleash our vexation when black women are being rejected from positions of real power in business, politics and the society just because of their complexion. The issue of color in choosing sex objects for music videos is moot.

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Eggzactly. Why are people angry like being a video vixen si something women should aspire to both dark or light skinned. Better for the dark skinned women being rejected, hopefully they will use that opportunity to channel their brains instead, now that the media has told them their bodies are of no use to them because of their colour. Shikena

• AA November 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Can I ask a question? When last have you had a conversation with a Nigerian woman that DID NOT want to be objectified? The typical Nigerian woman only talks about beauty, weaves and fashion and occasionally, entertainers. Until Nigerian women stop objectifying themselves and start thinking of themselves as more than just pieces of meat to be married, this nonsense will never end. So blame the outlook of the women, not the men that are taking advantage of it. A typical Nigerian woman will never see herself as worth until she becomes a wife, a MRS! So why wont men continue to treat us like crap?

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

To @AA. Shu when did the topic shift to marriage? You are the one that is obsessed about marriage to even bring it up here. When did choosing light skinned over dark skinned be a matter of marriage. What is the problem? Are you still single? Did your ex just dump you and get married? Or what is the problem gan gan. To use the word typical Nigerian woman. Generalising much? If that is the type of woman that you see, may I ask what kind of crowd you are moving in where you only get access to shallow airheads who want to be objectified? Typical is relative. My typical Nigerian woman is strong, ambitious, intelligent, can carry a conversation, fine as hell and takes care of her appearance. If it is the celeb stalking, bleaching and brazilian wearing, man hunting women that you come across so much you had to use the word typical, may I suggest you move in different circles and find yourself a man while you are at it. Noring wrong with being married. It is a beautiful thing. Having a man to love and love you back is also one of the best things in the world. Try it sometime. Yes I said that. Bite me

• AA November 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

@Seyi. Your simple minded insult just made my point. FYI, I am happily married with 2 kids. But you automatically assumed that I was single and desperate. I respect strong single women, and I am their biggest champion, so trying to insult me to “get a man” just makes you look stupid. I was making a point for Nigerian women to stop seeing themselves as video vixens, I was actually agreeing with you, but Foolish You! Next time, focus more on trying to comprehend my point rather than being cute and trying to “end the discussion” by being bitchy.

• slice November 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Yes we should my darling Mz S.A. because injustice in one place is injustice everywhere. as long it’s a legal business, if they are experiencing injustice, we should defend them so tomorrow the person who wants to invite only light skinned ladies to be doctors in his hospital because most of his patients are men that supposedly prefer light skd ladies will think about what happened to the last person that tried it with video vixens

• Mzlyrics November 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Thank you! I was going to type a response full of beef for Akon and Whizkid but after reading your comment, I just weak! lol. True talk, I hereby rest my case.

• Mzlyrics November 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Thank you Mz S A! I was going to type a response full of beef for Akon and Whizkid but after reading your comment, I just weak! lol. True talk, I hereby rest my case.

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Ah, @slice, you ‘n me are gon’ have to agree to disagree on this one oh. I know that color should never be used to instill inferiority but my focus is on the greater injustice and I feel that fighting the dark-skinned/light-skinned battle here is like saying to the men concerned that it’s okay to show the shaking of bums and boobs, as long as they’re being shown on screen in every shade.

If the owner of a hospital employs women based on a policy of racial discrimination, then I know I’m fighting my war with him/her on just one front. However, if the policy also requires the female doctors/nurses to wear low-cut blouses to “better aid the recovery of patients” & they want only fair complexioned breasts on display, then I’m going to be blasting away at the greater crime against womanhood and this my argument will also be applicable.

• Anon November 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Spot on!

• Just an opinion November 19, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Awesome comment!

• whocares November 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

my thoughts exactly.. @AA good sir/ madam you want to be starting something with that comment?

• AA November 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Yes I do!!! I want women to start thinking of themselves as more than just a woman. We can be anything in the world we want to be. We were not just created to please men. And if you dont like my statement, then you can shove it!

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

@AA, but we are in fact, women, are we not? I think I have some idea of what you’re getting at but I don’t believe your accusation of women “thinking of themselves as just women” is justified. There’s a real beauty in being “just a woman”, it’s a difficult job for which she needs to understand how to use her femininity, strength, intuition, resolve, emotional and mental intelligence, sensuality, ambition and biological abilities to realize the full potential of her own life. It should be the same objective for all females but we, very unfortunately, have the ones with no idea of how to realize themselves as individuals and can only live through the material things they own or giving themselves to be owned by men.

It’s a complex debate and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with accepting yourself as a “woman” aiming to fulfill as many purposes for your life as possible.

• AA November 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

@Mz Socially Akward, I get your point and maybe using the term “just women” was not good. What I meant was Naija girls need to look beyond basic pleasures and should want and aspire for much more than video vixen status

• whocares November 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

and there you are calling our dear seyi simple minded, when you just asked me to shove it? personally, I detest arguments that generalise unnecessarily and that is what I was calling you up on. what makes you think it is alright to offer a justification for akon and wizkid’s supposed action by pointing out the fact that some women want to be married, etc? what is wrong with wanting to be married? or wanting to be a model (and the nude/ semi nude pictures that come with it?) that is some people’s genuine wish. so who made you god to decide what is good for them or not? that was my problem with you. you don’t get to justify a wrong actionf its true) by blaming the “Nigerian woman”. and yes I know PLENTY women who want to be mothers, and wives, and have their profession down to pat.

• vicki osunde November 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

AA….. I take offence to that generalisation that a typical nigerian woman….thats really offensive

• AA November 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

@Seyi, pls accept my sincere apologies. I had no idea that I was communicating with a child. Had I known, I would not have used such language. I apologise and now, I will take the advice of your voltron Toyin and go and pick up my kids from school. LOLOLOLOl

• AA November 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

@ whocares, you completely missed my point. So pls don’t call me up on anything until you understand where am coming from. I was not generalizing Nigerian women, but if you want to take offence, so be it. I am finding it amazing that my well intentioned comment is generating soo much heat, but no matter. I won’t stop saying this, Naija women need to want more for themselves. So now, I will take toyin’s advice and go pick up my kids. Whoever wants to come at me can do so. I should have known , I would get this reaction. The education system has failed a generation of Nigerians. Arguing is pointles. Next time am on this blog I will reserve my comments to ” oohh that’s so pretty” and “I claim my wedding IJN”. I am just amazed at the level of lack of comprehension among these commentators today. Its astounding!!!!

• AA November 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

And I move around with professional women. Lawyers, doctors, PHD holders. But I am sick and tired of hearing young girls of today just talking about themselves and their looks. I want something more for them. And yes, I am glad to associate with these young girls, because I feel I can influence them positively. So your stupid self can continue to turn your nose at them, but I owe it to my younger naija sisters to put them on the right track. So throw your jabs, you just look silly, not me.

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oh you are one of those married ones obsessed with marriage too? The door swings both ways. There was no reason to bring the issue of marriage into this discussion. I get it. You knew someone will pick on that point so you can quickly come back with I am happily married with 2 kids. We know your type. Stick to the matter at hand and stop stopping at unnecessary bus stops. Looking down my nose? If the shoe fits. As for the insults, who insulted who? Read your comment again and see how omo alata-ish you sound. Stupid, bitchy etc. Your vocabulary must be impressive. People who resort to isnults………………fill in the blank spaces. I hope you don’t talk like this amongst your “professional friends”.

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

So you can influence them positively. I get it. You are a bucket full of positivity. Sure you are.

• AA November 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@Seyi, now you are just ranting. I have completely lost your point. Like I said, next time, focus on comprehending my point and not trying to be bitchy. All this energy you are wasting is not worth it. Is your anger with me being single or married??? Anyway, like I said was trying to agree with you but you took it somewhere else. Reading and comprehension will help you in the future. GROW UP GIRL!!!

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

After you Ma’m. Now who is ranting, your bp must be through the roof with this anger? Need a dictionary to look up rant? I suggest Google. Stop screaming while you are at it. (just in case you don’t know what typing in Caps Lock means).
          @Ms S.A beautiful comment as usual. I love your play on words about owning being a woman. You can rock being a woman to the full without objectifying yourself. Now that’s the type of response we need to be reading up on here. Straight to the point and no diversions.

• toyin November 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

i thought you are married… you have soo much time on your hands. Are you not going to pick the kids from school

• whocares November 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

you honestly see nothing wrong with your “a typical Nigerian woman” statement? that is the only thing I am calling you up on and most people are harping on about. its a good thing to have an opinion AA but its better to be lets see not obnoxious about it? I have in fact gone to read your comment again, (never accuse me of not trying to understand) and I cant see past your TYPICAL Nigerian woman comment, and how you think that is ok.. I realise some people yes like their weaves etc but how does that define the typical Nigerian woman? and come at you? where do you think we are the streets of harlem? are you taking of your shirt and beating yourself in the chest as you type that? lol. .

• lol November 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM

ok so just so we are clear, I decided that just maybe, the meaning of objectification somehow was not explained to me in my English classes both in high school and College, I turned to the dictionary for help, objectification means treating a person as a thing, without regard to their dignity and this was what I got objectification means treating a person as a thing, without regard to their dignity. Now AA, how does one speaking on beauty somehow mean that a lady is objectifying herself? Or is it bad to care about your looks? I am a Nigerian woman, not a medical doctor or a lawyer or even a PHD holder, but that does not mean I do not speak intelligently or because i care about my looks and discuss different kinds of weaves with my friends whenever we feel like it, I can’t turn around and come up with a new patent tomorrow, and it sure does not mean I am objectifying myself. I relate with Nigerian women just like me and I am appalled at the generalization of your statements because all the ladies I relate with who are Nigerians do not have any problem talking about weaves and makeup and yet have no problem talking about politics, religion or whatever the topic is. You really did come across like you have a personal vendetta against someone or maybe you are just getting the reaction you were seeking to begin with. I am a woman and I am proud to be one, so if it means talking about weaves and make up then guess what? so be it, and if for someone one else it means dreaming about that day when they get to walk down the aisle to their prince charm so be it, who died and made us king or judge over anyone? Women that are not Nigerians do it too so why can’t we??? As for Akon and Wizkid I totally agree with SA, music video runs not my thing…now for Minister or some other things we can talk…next…

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If I am a child then you must be an agbaya then. I have come down to your insult throwing level. See viscousness on top your crass comments. At least some other people see what I saw from your comments. Typical Nigerian woman indeed. More omo alata-ish from your comment and the kind of people you interact with. Run along please and waka pass to Nairaland or something. If you cannot be intellectual without being rude, aggressive and uncouth, move over to where such gutter behaviour will be appreciated.

• Charlie November 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

no they are not, they need to get the worth of thier money….all na business

• natty November 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

So black skinned women do not provide value for money right ? I pity you

• Idak November 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I personally do not find the request offensive. If i was in their shoes i will request for non-dark ladies to not bother applying. Maybe, they just feel the opposite of how i feel about light skinned females.

• Jim BA November 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

the Story is very False…

• Edmond-Joe November 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

They have their reasons….for sure

• Cola November 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

They are entitled to their own opinion but its really sad how black is always considered unattractive or not appealing for music video etc. The same black people discriminating their own sisters and brothers because of skin colour. We get to see such even in the choice of lovers and girlfriends they chose. But its their own shallow behavior. So no wahala

• bobo November 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

“In my bag here, I HAVE A FULL PROOF METHOD FOR CONTROLLING YOUR BLACK SLAVES. I guarantee every one of you that, if installed correctly, IT WILL
      CONTROL THE SLAVES FOR AT LEAST 300 HUNDREDS YEARS. You must use the DARK skin slaves vs. the LIGHT skin slaves, and the LIGHT skin slaves vs. the DARK skin slaves. IF USED INTENSELY FOR ONE YEAR, THE
      SLAVES THEMSELVES WILL REMAIN PERPETUALLY DISTRUSTFUL. Thank you gentlemen.” – W. Lynch, 1712 exactly 301 yrs later #mental slavery

• omada November 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This “light skinned/dark skinned ” matter is something else.

• Omo1 November 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Dark skinned models..on to the next. No time!

• laura November 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

before we crucify them ..are the allegations true?and if they are …have u seen nigerian music videos lately ..come on ..just because they might have been vocal…Nigerian artist have a thing for light skinned women,,i personally think Akon is a waste of human talent …and just because half the stuff he says makes him the scum of the earth…but most African artist are guilty of the same plaque.

• Hurpeyeahmie November 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

nonsense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they should take their songs to those light skinned people to buy them na rubbishhhhhh

• ms lala November 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

smh…that’s truly sad . complex issues mehn…in hollywood its the other way around lots of darker skinned actresses are taken more seriously than the lighter skin thespians…trust me VIOLA DAVIS, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o , Rutina Wesley(trueblood) the list goes on and on and they get roles that lead them to OSCAR…infact light skinned actresses are having a hard time being taken serious. Viola is a two if not three time Academy nominee …Danai is getting that oscar buzz too..in hollywood halfcaste are seen as movie eye-candy that can’t truly act .Halle berry’s monsters ball…how she won ..*kanye shrugs*

• Bella November 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The sad truth is this, light skinned girls get more EVERYTHING than dark skinned girls everywhere you go they are looked at more appealingly, things are twice as hard for dark skinned girls to be honest, it is the way of the world. Personally .. I just think its BS, cos c’on this is 2013, ain’t nobody got time for all that! But they are artists and whatever rocks their boat, so be it! its a preference issue! To all my dark skinned ladies, keep it rocking and all those bleaching ladies, we see you. Happy Monday BNers.

• AA November 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Stop saying its a preference issue! Stop belittling this blatant attack on the black race. What if a white musician said NO BLACK WOMEN for their music videos, would you call it a preference issue? Is it only acceptable when it is done by black people? You need to go back to your history books and understand the mentality behind this statement. Maybe then, you will understand that this is very dangerous for black pride and unity.

• Obi November 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Easy AA. Disagree, but a bit nicer please. Your points are totally valid. Discrimination is discrimination no matter the “rationale”. You’ve both got opinions, share them. But, careful or you risk sounding like a bully cos that’s when people come out to attack and we end up missing the ‘koko’ of the discussion. I’ve read through your comments, and as many valid and informative arguments/ points as you have, you taint them all with unnecessary words and distract people.

• Red November 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

@AA. I see no reason why you’re making this a racial issue. As long as they requested for light-skinned “BLACK LADIES” I really see no reason why anyone should start ripping his/her undies to bits. Even white male artistes have a preference for mixed race ladies in their videos so lets not get ahead of ourselves. Its a skin color thing, not a race thing. Afterall we all have our favourite color for cars, phones, wears, etc…As the occassion demands. Why not have a preference of color for models on a particular video? @Ms SA: Wish more naija ladies are as composed as you are. Making your point clear without stepping on toes… Amazing feat! Thumbs Up!!

• Omo1 November 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

WRONG my dear! Not in everything

• Kilipot November 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Pls I am dark skinned and things have never been hard for me just cosI am dark. Speak for you self only.

• eesha November 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

And you say girls are bleaching, why won’t they bleach biko?

• Dammy November 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM

@eesha i wonder o….why wont dey bleach wen there is discrimination….it is well with us dark ladies o

• nene November 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

this is sick. no wonder you can’t stop some people from bleaching. who knows the discrimination they have suffered. bhaira mcwizu,toke makinwa, eucharia anunobi, sikiratu sindodo, oge okoye, ebube nwagbo, rita dominic, rukky sanda, tonto dikeh, toyin lawani and many more, i am sorry for the insults, i didn’t know the discrimination was this blatant, especially in nigeria. i will still not advice anyone to bleach, some people like dark,some like light, some like tall, some like short. if you must bleach, i think toning is better, look at genevieve nnaji, stephanie okereke, and dakore egbuson, they do it well and they are still beautiful women. wizkid can fuck himself, i see he is not only suffering from short man syndrome but “half caste” syndrome too. both men with inferiority complex!

• mama mia!!! November 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Me o I feel blacks, we are our worst enemy. Not every thing is racist if a black man is rude to you, he is being rude a white man can be similarly rude but we turn it into racism. Lord, knows in all honesty I’m not a fan of a proper white man not light skinned, I mean ‘oyinbo’ does not mean I do not get along with my white friends in fact I love em all!!! But, if life happens and I happen to fall in love with one fine. My preference lies with blacks or iight skinned ‘mixed race’ does that make me racist for not gearing towards proper whites? Life is a lot harder as it is why make it harder plus it is not like they were told not to sit on a chair cause they were black. If someone says you are too fat to model it must not link to hate as they might have fat wives or mothers it’s the business! Or if I claim I prefer to marry a hausa man to igbo or yoruba doesn’t mean I do not have relations I love with my whole heart within that tribe it’s just preference or I prefer to stick to Christians does not mean I do not have Muslim cousins I love!!! Nothing more nothing less! They both have babies by proper black women that says more than we think!

• AA November 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

You are completely ignorant. You need to read more.

• mama mia!!! November 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hey, Do not come for me unless I send for you.An opinion is just that, doesn’t make me ignorant. Do not attack my intelligence Okay, Plus, I’ve read enough history for me to have stated what I typed above. Thanks!

• MOI November 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Mrs AA, u are full of insultssss. I have been following your comments, even though ur points were impressive, I am totally appalled by ur responses. Please run along and go pick the kids from school biko

• AA November 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

@ Moi am on my way to pick my kids. There is traffic on the road

• Chiquita November 19, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Na real wa for you oh…did someone send you here to cause
          commotion or you just want to be noticed, if that was your goal,
          you got it girl. If only we could see your face to actually make
          you relevant to this discussion…agbaya jati jati.

• Ashley G November 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

LOL @ Akon n his Jacket. However, to be fair Black is Beautiful. So also r the Mixed/Light/halfcaste/yellowbone/redbone Ladies. Only difference is, so called “beautiful Black” doesnt sell or cut it well enuff as the Light skin category does. N lets face it there r more people like them n myself that wanna see lighties than Darkies!!
      i know……..its sad but true. pls dont crucify me, its just that i no fit lie give you. looolest!!!!

• rootwoo.com November 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Are they not black? Africans should stop complaining about the whites being racist cos we don’t even value ourselves.

• Favour November 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

What Akon and wizkid did is not wrong because is a matter of choice and what will boost the sales of their product.

• Confuzzled November 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Can all the people making this claim actually back it up with evidence? I think not. Disgusting.

• AA November 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

only self-hating naijas will make that statement. The same people that bleach their skin and wear other people’s hair down to their knees

• Meet9jasinglesHERE November 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Who will buy and watch the videos? Is it not africans.
      Mtchew

• Raindrops November 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

whooah! I cringed as I read this. I write this on the assumption that this allegation is true. If people still exhibit this sort of prejudice towards their own, no wonder we are where we currently are. I mean, no qualms in liking a dark skinned or a light skinned person (as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but to now place a high emphasis on one skin tone over the other, then that’s sad and extremely shallow. A display of a slave mentality, free yourself and get some education.

• NNENNE November 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ghananians will do anything to discredit us because they always have the need to compete unnecessarily against us.
      Bleaching has always been in Nigeria. I heard it was even banned at some point.
      I beg leave Akon and Wixkid alone.
      Those who want to bleach will bleach and those who do not want to bleach will not.
      Genevieve, Uche, Stephenie do not bleach.

• Aidan November 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

For all those people marrying their fellow dark skinned Africans to reproduce and give birth to dark skinned kids; pity for yourself!
      Kpacharanya!
      My sister jejely went and married her Greek boyfriend.
      My parents were upset @ first but when she gave birth!
      Yepa! See Cappuccino babies with curly hair and pointed nose!
      I bow!
      I blame them not!

• Seyi November 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

……………..and you are dark skinned i presume. Same with your sister too and both your parents who got married and produced you dark skinned kids.. Should we pity you? Since that is your line of reasoning. Just asking. Nothing wrong with your sister marrying her greek boyfriend if they love each other. My question is directed at your first sentence.

• CC November 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Your comment is disgusting

• jcsgrl November 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Wow so there are still people like you in this world??? May God have mercy on you and on your wasted mind. Chai! See self hatred at its best

• Iris November 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Jehovah! You have GOT TO BE an internet troll. Otherwise
        your mind is poor in every way possible. I can’t even be bothered
        to feel sorry for you because it is clear that you think you are
        wise. Enjoy your life.

• Obi November 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I’m still laughing Aidan cos somewhere, somehow, I think you’re laughing too. Greek boyfriend okwa ya? lol. I choose to believe this was intended for laughs. If not, I still choose to laugh. Onye na nke ya … to each his own.

• Idak November 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Wonder why folks find it so difficult to identify a troll at first sight.

• Bunmi November 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

You are an insecure negro. You need to seek help on how to love your black ass.

• mercii November 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

cant stop laughing o! our girls should do better things with themselves than shooting videos with celebs! whichever type they decide its their choice and their video, nobody should fight them on it!

• AA November 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My sister, na wa o!!!! See fight over something that I am agreeing with the person over. Anyway, reading and comprehension is not everybody’s strong point. Naija girls need to expect better from themselves. They need to see themselves as more than just video vixens.

• jcsgrl November 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

AA I get your point and well done on mentoring our young girls but I have one thing against what you said . “So blame the outlook of the women, not the men that are taking advantage of it.” I dont think its fair to blame the way men treat women solely on the outlook of women. Did you think to ask how our nigerian girls, women got there in the first place? They were born into a world where women were seem as inferior to men and only good for raising children and getting married. Fast forward to our 21st century and slave mentality thinking of these two riff raffs who by their so called preference believe that fair skinned women are the way to go, they are more appealing and bring in dough. So what do you expect our dark skin sisters who are constantly battling self esteem issues and seen as lesser attractive to do? In order to compete, they result to bleaching creams, mami water hair etc so they too can get a chance like their fair skinned counterparts. So now I ask whose outlook changed them?

• tito November 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

AA! we don hear. Abeg

• AA November 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Talk your own na! Am I holding u? At least have the guts to stand for something rather than shutting people down

• Hurpeyeahmie November 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

AA rest you hear!!!!!! your own too much, you are not the only one on Bella allow others kilode?

• cali November 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

At the end of the day, black women are being exploited and degraded everyday. Regardless of skin tone, weave, natural hair or perm, we as black women need to stick together. This Light skin/ dark skin is happening all over the world. Let’s face it, most black men are sheep and will follow what’s “hot in the streets”. Let’s hope we raise our sons to have respect for us!

• sade November 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM

can u imagine Akons Black ass refusing someone that looks
      just like his mother!!! what a foolish man

• mama mia!!! November 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Honestly aa, you really need to watch the way you attack people, nobody is discrediting your views, but you need to learn to see where others are coming from. Truth, be told all our permed hair to fixing of fake hair to nose contouring are all parts of trying to be white. Instead of we to spend more time educating ourselves to be more accepting of each other, we are complaining about how people should make their own money. If you’ve seen an episode on the choice ‘where celebrities pick dates’, there was an episode where electra stated she regretted turning her chair for an all white guy only cause she prefers them tall, dark and handsome. Nobody, said she was racist. It was just her preference. Give it a rest already!

• Iyke November 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

WOMEN …. We can’t say we know WOMEN…in anyway… apart from seeded opinions that fester in our broken regard that gives MEN (Nigerian men) permission to be arrogantly entitled…obtuse…ignorant…misguided…small minded…stupid. And this is what they use to judge WOMEN…
      LADIES, I expect more from you because I know you are more than what you allow yourself to take.
      Tell yourself this….’ I know who I am’….
      You have met yourself on many an occasions…coming and going… Been through the extreme…moments of brilliance and episodes of that which might trigger despair…. And through it all the best and the worst of it, you have survived beyond measure…made your peace with the hell of life and challenged that which would dare render you incomplete. No regrets…you made your bed and you deserve the embrace of life’s best…
      I say again, When you know WHO YOU ARE, men will cower at your feet. Define who you are for the world rather than being defined…make it your passion and see just how easy and necessary it can become for you…a better you…a better world.

• bibi November 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Tufiakwa!!2 pots follow dey call kettle black…m..shame on
      dem

• Caramel November 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Totally disappointed in you Akon. This is an insult to your
      country Senegal, 75% of your population are dark skin.

• Bide November 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

It is well

• Esco www.woahnigeria.wordpress.com November 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

They spot you out dancing topless in your drawers/
      Damn look, there goes a black girl lost/

Nas (Black Girl Lost, 1996)

• imsexyandiknowit November 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

why hasnt anyone insulted wizkid? all i see is akon this akon that..

Wizkid, this is for you. If you truly are guilty of this i will use koboko and flog you next time i see you in public. Perhaps you naija artists need to stay in school? because the level of – you people display is ridiculous. I have younger brothers that like wizkid..these fools dont know there is something called social responsibility..but i dont blame them..they are not educated. nonsense!

And you akon…that your silly comment trying to explain why men like you cant zip it is totally lame! i have no respect for you anymore.

• Chigbo November 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Who are you flogging? That’s his preference. Don’t you see his girlfriend?

• Friday's other Child November 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Women are objectified in so many spheres of Nigerian life, music videos just happen to be the latest manifestations. As with many things, I think the ability to normalize this objectification is closely linked to power structures in the country, and a lack of sizeable alternative/dissenting voices. Who are the music executives, the video directors, the artists etc? They are mostly men; they dictate what we see. Where are the women (or men who oppose this objectification) who are in uproar and are asking for boycotts of videos/artists/events where/who support this objectification?

In other sectors like the banking sector, who is challenging the semi prostitution of ‘marketers’ by a male dominated industry? Which group of women is pushing for gender rights to be integrated into the national curriculum? How many mothers are asking their sons instead of their daughters to help with preparing the evening meals? How many mothers teach their daughters to grow up with strong views and be opinionated, as opposed to being ‘lady like’, which is often a euphemism for acting in ways deemed appropriate by men?

The misogynistic lyrics in much ‘Afro-pop’ nowadays makes me shudder. I can’t listen to more than 5 words before someone is telling me to ‘shake my a$s’, ‘go down low’ ‘wind my waist’ (As it so happens WizKid is particularly guilty of this) – essentially perform for the male gaze, but I’ve never seen a bunch of women stop dancing on the dance floor while we’re fed all these ridiculous lyrics.

Men have the benefit of being able leverage unchallenged historically distorted power paradigms to their benefit, and we continue to concede this power to them. Until we have 1, strong enough voices that can actually engage with these power structures to challenge their dominance and 2, individual voices which set the tone of how we want to be engaged with individually, we can expect much more by way of objectification and whatever else is deemed appropriate on our behalf.

• madman November 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Woah… can I get to know you? one of the few very brilliant comments I’ve read on BN. Amazing!!

• L.A Chick November 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Well said! The debate as you and others have pointed out goes beyond this dark-skinned/light skinned debate; It’s all about the fact that these practices reinforce the subordinate position of women. Incidentally, the dark skinned vs. light skinned black women debate as always been a heated one here in the States as light skinned black women are perceived as being “better” than the dark skinned ones. How many times have I heard from my African American brothers “you cute to be black” which means in a way that dark skinned women can’t be pretty! I have even been called by a guy “Dark and ugly” because I refused to give him my phone number. For this low life telling me this equated to the ultimate insult that destroyed my ego… And mind you, himself he was darker than Akon!!!!(rolling eyes. I pray really hard that in Naija this ignorant attitude will remain at the level of morons like Wizkid and not spread at all the levels of our society!

• Non professional opinion November 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Your comment is how to mentor young minds and spark debate, not @AA’s defensive, incoherent ranting. Bella, we need that “like” button ASAP.

• Moi November 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM

@AA just apologize for the “a typical Nigerian woman” comment. As a married man you should know when to give in. Your advice is appreciated but your choice of words was not pleasant. Please don’t come for me am also a married woman with kids, and I am trying to respect myself and not say anything rude to anyone here. Nothing wrong with a debate between adults as long as insults are not thrown at each other.
      I hope you got the kids in time, lol

• AA November 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

My kids were giving me the evil eye cause I was late. Lol!! Na, I won’t come at you at all. You disagreed in a sensible manner, and not with delusaional ranting. I respect that

• Moi November 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

As for Akon and Wizkid, they have the right to choose what they want for the music video. Just like I have the right to NOT buy the CD or NOT watch the music video.

• Chiquita November 19, 2013 at 2:53 AM

You’ve spoken well. IF they want to bring women from jupiter, that’s thier buisness, afterall its their money, their video. Like they say, if other people refuse to respect you, at least respect yourself. If your black ass sit down for house to do something better with your life, will anyone have the audacity to call you black in the first place?

• Binta November 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Because there is a great chance that they are as guilty as charged, wizkid don’t forget it was mostly these dark girls that bought your songs and attended your concerts, I don’t think you will like to perform to empty hAlls, be careful the picture of yourself you put out there. Unfortunately being dark toned doesn’t affect the boys as much as it does girls, it’s a shame that the man who sang mama Africa, would have such dislike for her core beauties. I am ashamed of you wizkid, and akon, you should have known better, i say all brown sisters and dark sisters boycott wizkid and akon for a year.

• oyin November 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

First of all, these two idiots are from Africa, where 90% of people are dark/brown. I refuse to victimize dark skin girls just bcos some fools chose ignorance and followed his low self esteem issues. What thing I know is, many black men marry dark skin women all the time, beauty comes in different skin color, shapes so to put beauty in one category is plain stupid. Men might fantasize but at the end of the day doesnt mean anything. Just like how women fantasize dark, muscular, perfect body but in reality women are married to men opposite of that. If light skin is considered perfect then every lighter skin person should have it easy but no they dont or sometimes even have it worse. And, Africa/Africans having skin color wars is so foolish and makes suq look pathetic. So, Akon and Wizkid take that rubbish somewhere else, to the garbage.

• c_ogochukwu November 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

the other day i watch akon on vh1 behind the music and he talked about how pple treated him bad in high school becos he was too bark. as someone who has been discriminate against or have been treated bad becos of his skin color expected him to know better..that someone is black,white, dark skin watever it doesn’t make u better than anyone else. what matters is what u can bring to the table. and for pple that said is for business how many of u watch music video just becos they have a white or light skin girl. pple watch music video becos the like the artist or the like the song not becos of the girl in the background that u may not even recongize her face after watching the video..if this statement is true i am very disappointed in akon becos i expect alot more from him and both of them should remeber that their parent are black and if black are discriminating against each other then white folks will have problem doing

• Philip Okiche November 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I’ve tried to see reason with Akon & Wizkid but I just can’t. This attitude is wrong and un-African and quite tacky. Some ladies might actually resort to bleaching all in the name of “professionalism” as a video vixen.

• NNENNE November 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

@ Philip Okiche…. There is always two sides to every story. We just heard one side and rushed to judgement.

• nunu November 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Hhmmmmmmm,can’t laugh enough! To AA and sey,thanks for making my day. I am proud to be a dark skin lady and I love myself for it. I am never intimidated by mixed race or yellow bone,cos I know who I am. My colour doesn’t make me,it doesn’t define me. No wonder many young and even the old ones will do anything to bleach and become yellow. Thank God for Uche Jombo,Genevieve,Stephanie Okereke,I admire you guys. I never knew I was going to read this tonight,cos someone was just telling me that a dark skin girl like myself turned to oyibo all in the name of beauty. I never knew we were both dark in complexion till I was told. All is vanity @ d end. Eternity is real. Wisdom is needed,so,be guided!

• madman November 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Wait ooo but what’s wrong with wanting white, Asian, and light-skinned women in your video. These men don’t even date/or have baby momma’s with “dark-skinned” women. Aren’t they being true to who they really are? They don’t date “dark-skinned” women so why should “dark-skinned” women feature in their video? Okay, why do we like to make a big deal out of nothing. If you don’t like your skin, BLEACH. If you like your skin, don’t feature in their video and STOP PAYING for their concerts. Hit them in the pocket where it hurts the most but Until then, I’m sorry to say STFU. ;-)

• SOLO ACT November 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM

LOOK HERE BLACK GIRLS, BLACK MEN DO NOT LIKE U! IF U LOOK AT MUSIC VIDS, AND EVEN BLACK ATHLETES, THEY ONLY DATE WHITE OR LIGHTER WOMEN. THAT SHOULD TELL U SOMETHING. PLZ STOP SWEATING THESE BLACK MEN

• ao November 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM

You should not rely on music videos and Black athletes to
        support your comment. The majority of Black men marry Black women
        including the dark ones. I’m married to a very successful Black man
        and I am not light-skinned.

• Respect November 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

@ Solo Act
        what they forget is that dating a white or lighter woman will not change their color either so in other words they hate themselves too.

• omada November 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

but does a black man dating a white or light skinned woman automatically = self-hate? Do white or light skinned women not deserve love too? or should they only date people with the same skin colour?

I mean, there’s self-hate for sure, but not every one who marries or dates someone with lighter skin is doing so because they hate black skin. Let’s not lump it all together.

• Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous) November 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hmmm….I’m off to buy Egyptian Body milk to bleach my brains out so I can date some black athletes or become a video vixen ;-)

• mujer November 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM

oy vey!! I am very very very yellow. But I have also
      admired the low maintenance nature of darker skin. I do sense
      uncommon access when I show up with my light skin. Even black girls
      look. But I wonder why this is so. Dark is really pretty and easy
      to maintain. Love you and you wont worry about color.

• tunmi November 19, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I disagree that this is a nonissue. It is an issue and it
      spreads everywhere. It has already spread everywhere, Naija ranks
      high for skin bleaching. You may believe that the women should
      spend their time doing something else, na your own o but it is
      insulting and shameful and just plain disgusting to refuse someone
      because of their skin color. That affects their finances na, it’s
      discrimination. And just because the banks, the hospitals and the
      businesses (mind you the entertainment business na business too o)
      are not outrightly doing it does not mean it is not happening, and
      it does not mean that it won’t continue. I’m just glad someone
      began the call out on this because ever since that Omo to Shan
      video…tsk tsk tsk

• Omalicha November 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Okechukwu Ofili where r u? I am anxious to see ur opinion
      on this o. I don’t even know where to start.

• WEREYA November 19, 2013 at 4:55 AM

well its should be for a reason it all depends on what kind of video and the concept.

• WEREYA November 19, 2013 at 4:55 AM

all depends on what kind of video and the concept.

• WEREYA November 19, 2013 at 4:58 AM

choice i don’t see any thing bad about it, the concept of the video may require that

• Chigbo November 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Let them be……they want light skinned girls and so what?
      Don’t you see wizkids girlfriend?
      There are numerous videos of other Nigerian artists with ONLY light skinned girls
      No be today ok. That’s the industry. End of

• Decoded Lyrics November 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM

This issue is a deep issue and quite frankly goes back to slavery. It is a mindset that black people continue to carry on and pass it on from generation to generation. While I blame these two for publicly saying this another side of me says can we blame them? We leave in a society that thrives off of being mixed or light skin as the better option. We are constantly told as young girls that your light skin friend will get ahead of life because of the color she is in. In all the society magazines and publications including Bella Naija we constantly see light skin as being prettier. The saddest thing of it all is we make bleaching creams in Nigeria easily accessible. I personally been followed on Instagram by people who sell bleaching products. Also whenever I am in Nigeria, I have such a difficult time finding natural soaps that are good for your skin like Black soap. What is interesting is how easy I can get my hands on bleaching soap, even in the super market. In the US, yes we have access to it but at least it is not FDA regulated and not carried in normal stores.

In order to change this we need to have better quality control and change the image that all skin tones are beautiful. Show more images of women with darker skin tone looking just as lovely. Also with the article coming out I wish a few women would have came out to speak against this. I believe that also can stop future instances of this occurring as well.

• Nu November 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

abeg abeg

• nwanyi na aga aga November 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM

One question keeps coming to me. What if wizkid and Akon wanted only dark skin girls? would we still call it racism, would we be angry on behalf of the fair skin ladies? I don’t know but i think this is their business, they must have had a reason. They must have felt it helps their business sell. And I don’t even see video vixen nonsense as a serious issue. To me whatever floats their boat, I believe its basically preference at least wizkid has not hidden it judging from his choice of girlfriend. i will only bring my argument of racism to the table when its something serious and intellectual eg they refused to offer one an intellectual job cos she was dark.

• Nu November 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

• Beebe November 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Hmmmm!!!!!!!!!! Women with unprintable names. why are all these display of insults? Let Akon & Wizkid do what is best and obtainable for them. Moreso, Racism is not appealing to the human race only the ignorant ones still indulge and encourage it. We are all created in God’s image & likeness. God bless and keep us as we continue to live in love, unity & harmony. Amen

• cucu November 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM

@Soloact see ur comment make sense,Black gurls please many white men are dying to marry you abeg

• Sir Farouk November 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

A shame really. Nothing more nothing less. Some deep seated self-hate is probably to blame.

• Modella November 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Amen!

• www.plushstyles.co.uk November 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Must Read!!!

plushstyles.co.uk

• ola November 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM

its so funny that pot will be calling Kettle black with Akon type of complexion. ….Lord have mercy

• ola November 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

its so funny that pot will be calling Kettle black with Akon type of complexion at least wizkid is a bit fair. ….Lord have mercy

• Nu November 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Is Wizkid’s GF not halfcaste? supposing he decided to cast
      a girl that looks like his GF? Is this a crime? HOW IS PREFERENCE A
      CRIME???? You bring me beans, i say i want rice. Next thing you’re
      arguing about my preference for rice and how I stan for Japan and
      their rice fields on BN? NEXT.

• TA November 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM

@ Nu ,There is nothing wrong with wanting beans when you are offered rice. But get the point of those angry at Akon and Wizkid’s request; that creating such music videos will further entrench the stereotype that light skin is somehow better than dark skin. The more young men who grow up feeding on such dangerous stereotypes via music videos,movies,magazines etc the more issues we will have with people and their prejudice towards a certain skin colour/tone. Such music videos simply add fuel to the erroneous notion of light skin is better than dark skin. Do you get the point now?

• Nu November 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

So if they had asked for only dark-skinned girls and sent all the light-skinned ones away, would you still argue this point? Or Champion them for being “African”? Then light-skinned girls will now be what?

• loppdyloo November 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM

ex sells. .. money sells. . Drugs sell. . Ignorance sells. . And now it’s a particular skin tone that sells. I think it’s all stupid. I don’t think these men are any more guilty of anything than anyone else. They are printing what they feel will earn them sales. . Views. . Publicity etc. They may very well prefer dark skin females. But just as all the rest of this nonsense sells. . Light skinned models are something alot of these entertainers are using to promote sales. If dark skinned women are what’ was selling. . Regardless of their feelings about them. They would most likely choose them. It’s all about money. Why expect ppl to consider. Feelings. . Dignity. . Pride etc of a certain culture when we buy .. promote and entertain what they are pitching. It’s all about a dollar. And if that’s what they choose to chase then screw everyone else’s opinion bc we live in a sick world either way it goes. They always address race issues. Ok let’s address how women are objectified as a whole by these entertainers.. they talk about killing ppl.. promoting drug use and sales. . These ppl are adored and celebrated for being who they are. . Wreckless.. cold and heartless. Why now are we taking anything personal. The race card been played out. Now when they turn someone down for a job. . A position. .etc then cry racist. . But a video. . That they can choose and prefer as they please. . Feelings very involved. . Well it’s 2013.. In a few yrs they may turn Ur kid around for being hetero sexual. Bc Gay is the new it. Get over it. Times change and fads and money rule this crappy world

• Mimi November 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I don’t think the light/dark issue will ever be settled. I mean, take a look @ India for example (been watching some Bollywood films, and I notice that there are no or few browner indians. they are either so light, or just nicely tanned, even though the indian complexion range is very much like the african complexion range)

Shame on Wizkid and Akon for turning down the brown girls, but if that’s the image they want to portray then so be it.

However, I think in media, the brown and black girls really need to be spotlighted. I mean doesn’t using only redbones get old? I think so. For me, if you’re beautiful, you’re beautiful whether you pass the brown bag test, are chocolate or have that blue-black tone. Frankly, most of the redbones people rave about so much, are not even all that, just average, and yet there are so many prettier brown girls out there.

But whatever, no matter which way you put this issue, it will always sound like you’re siding for one skintone over the other, rather than the equality some of us just ask for.

Maybe if we can get someone to promise or campaign to use only brown models, it’ll show how just as lovely they are. idk, this subject is going to keep being brought up over and over and over and over again.

• JB November 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Guys you are forgetting one thing, most of these light skinned/white girls make these guys look raz in their videos, haven’t you noticed? Every naija music video i see these days feature mostly light skinned and white girls and i’m getting tired of it because these girls don’t make them look good, there is no blend. I’m sorry but that is what i’m saying on this matter. I mean look at the model in Naeto’s video 5 and 6, she was perfect as far as i’m concerned. They should all keep it real joh.

• 90s November 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Hello….To me, deres notin wrong wit AA’s choice of words except dat she diverted into d marriage issue,if u’ve got brain, u’ll undastand every bit of er word. To Akon nd wizkid, lady na lady,woman na woman,bt its ur choice anyway bt rememba its dis same black gals who wil want to buy d cd to listen,dance nd watch. Discrimination isnt jus nice at all nd for dose gals self i no knw wetin dem dey find up nd down for video dey shake body to earn a living!,dere re beta tins to do out dere. African ladies,pls wise up

• […] it. The treatment of light versus darker-skinned black people has also been the subject of discussions more […]