Pretty Hurts!

And Queen Bey was absolutely right when she recorded that track for her fifth studio album – BEYONCE.

Nigerian media personality/actress Eku Edewor is on the cover of the debut issue of Blanck Magazine for January 2014. The publication is creatively driven by Franka Asindi Chiedu, the former editor of Complete Fashion Magazine.

In Blanck, we can see the uber glam direction Franka is taking the digital magazine.; one luxe page at a time.

Now back to Eku. Having read the complete interview, we see a driven, smart and yet delicate side of the Flower Girl actress.

She dishes on being picked on because of her skin, racism, life and work. The interview was conducted in late 2013.

To read the full interview, Click Here

You can also check out the excerpts below

Eku Edewor - Blanck Magazine - January 2014 - BellaNaija 03

On personal struggles of being of mixed race: “I suffer from acts of racism all the time, intentional and unintentional. I mean some of the racism I have experienced is simply a cultural reaction to me that is not meant to be an insult but invariably it is.

I’ve learnt that people will always find something wrong with you and working in an environment that is predominantly darker skinned I feel that people tend to refer me to my colour a lot and not always in a positive way. Some of the comments I get are; ‘She’s only successful because she’s light skinned, or she’s only considered attractive because she’s light skinned’.

I have lost jobs I’ve got because there will always be an opinion that states, she’s too fair people will not relate to her, let’s go with a more African look. This is particularly hurtful because at that point I am unable to prove my talent. It always surprises me when I deal with these issues because it’s clear that I am an African, I have been accepted as one, my show is still successful despite being the only host and most importantly, the face of Africa is not one shade.

I therefore am very grateful to those that have chosen my talent first. What is interesting, is that I can’t count on both hands other mixed race personalities in my environment so I wonder who people refer to when they state I am only successful because I am fair.”

On describing her personality: “I think I’m easy going , energetic, a deep thinker, social, reclusive, I am a constant contradiction and as as result I think I always end up surprising people.”

On being above the competition: “I am competitive but with myself in the sense that I have personal goals I want to achieve and as a result I can be pretty hard on myself if I feel I’m not where I want to be. I don’t compare myself to anyone, I do always try to better myself, my craft, my image etc, otherwise you get distracted so if I’m perfectly honest, I tell myself ‘anything anyone can do, I can do better’. You just have to be positive in this industry. It’s so competitive  you need to focus on your own path and not be led astray, emotionally and psychologically.”

On her schedule: “I’m definitely going through a transition. It’s really more of an expansion in the sense that I have a lot of things going on and therefore I am having to be more conscious of my schedule as it’s packed. I’m the only anchor on 53 Extra now, so that’s a big responsibility and it has been nice to get a lot of support from our viewers.

My first movie – Flower Girl came out this year and that has done exceedingly well. I’m currently on location in Ghana on my second movie this year – When Love Comes Around, a movie by Zynell Zuh.

I have a much bigger part in this movie, so I am excited that people will be able to see more of what I can do. I shot a drama series this summer for M-Net, a project by Efe Tobari and also had a small part in a pilot in the UK called The Rules to Making Money and of course The Island is still in the pipeline. To top that off, I’m hosting the second season of Pepsi Top Ten Countdown a weekly music chart show, so as you can imagine life at the moment is work, work, work.”

70 Comments on “It Hurts When I Hear I’m Only Successful because I’m Light Skinned” – Eku Edewor for Blanck Magazine’s Jan 2014 Issue
  • Vanessa January 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

Eiyah. Sorry baby.

• Mariaah January 7, 2014 at 9:55 am

My My!! Eku is indeed beautiful!! :) :) I get what she’s saying about skin colour.. Same way people talk trash about beautiful dark skinned people same way light people don’t have it easy.

• Melb January 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

But it’s the truth! Ur gorgeous tho

• chinny Akpa January 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

lol…. buh its true…. cos being fair is in vogue….dont feel bad afterall, i guess u hv been fair since day 1

• Great Portland Street January 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

Awwww Kpele Eku . . .eeeyah

• Fashionista January 7, 2014 at 10:10 am

lovely photography!

• Iyke January 7, 2014 at 10:10 am

Dear Eku, don’t be available to the noise they generously share ….a discourse of abuse and insensitive fare that leaves them tart…..unattractive and beyond repair ….they should check themselves….their conversation betrays intent ….pretending they don’t care!Sweetheart, I think you unstoppable…..whatever they think about themselves, is their business.Keep doing you.

• ContessaVlad January 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

…and also thin, beautiful and well educated… deep down you know say e don help you wella

• mrs chidukane January 7, 2014 at 10:23 am

We all have the ability to better ourselves. She didn’t make herself mixed race.Some people are mixed,thin,beautiful and educated YET they have nothing to show for it.She works hard and is good at what she does. That’s what has kept her on top

• Cancel Reply January 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Wait, you point is??????

• Cancel Reply January 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm

@ ContessaVlad Wait your point is???

• hifashiononline.blogspot.com January 7, 2014 at 7:57 pm

your spot on my dear… it musta helped in some way. whener i go out with my stunning totally nigerian fair friend, it opens doors… so i know what am saying.

• idoublecrossmyheart January 9, 2014 at 12:45 am

I agree. She should picture herself dark-skin, will she
      still be beautiful? I think not. She is
      attractive….beautiful…that is being too generous. And I do not
      hate, just congratulate. Eku, congratulations on your success.
      Appreciate it while it lasts. We all have one advantage over
      others. The lesson is to know how to use it WELL. You just happen
      to be light-skinned and from a family who is doing nicely stealing
      Nigeria’s wealth. Appreciate it. Others have intellect, others know
      how to throw trash, others know how to eat….use your talents
      well.

• amaaa January 9, 2014 at 10:33 am

The part path about stealing money cracked me up. just the other day I was just going through all the so called celebs(Nollywood excluded) and non celebs making news on blogs and papers and it just hit me these are still the same people that their fathers stole monies form the national coffers and robed the average Nigeria from the basic necessities of life and yet we are still celebrating their children ,they still hold sway, they are still running thingz. Ovation became almost extinct because of it penchant for celebrating the dubious rich and wealthy families in Nigeria. When do we call them out name and shame them that they have never been convicted is not an excuse .The audacity in which the likes of Bode George, Ibori and Alams parade their ill gotten wealth when their kids get married alarm and worries me . We sit back and gosh and wish we were all like them .

• Isabel January 12, 2014 at 9:33 pm

‘Stealing Nigeria’s wealth’ – please explain how ? Maybe you should get your facts straight before talking about peoples families that you clearly don’t know. Her family is rich through hard work, dedication and enterprise.

• Ohboy January 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

But it is true na, there is no way she does not know that her skin color is a career accelerator in this self hating black nation.
    Take in stride dear, some people need to buy half a million naira worth of dencia’s whitenicious to get a quarter way of what you have been able to achieve.

• lola January 7, 2014 at 10:43 am

Even the dark skinned women are finding it hard to be accepted in the society.Racism is everwhere.

• www.anemistyle.com January 7, 2014 at 10:43 am

I used to work in TV production and most times writers and producers have a vision of the character and their target audience and most times they are not being racist, it is just business! I am sure many dark-skinned girls have lost jobs to you, it is one of those things. SHINE my dear it is YOUR TIME.

• Thatgidigirl January 7, 2014 at 10:51 am

Look at the bright side, no one accuses u of bleaching. :)

• Jane Public January 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

What passes for talent these days. I guess it is endemic all over the world.

• Dr. N January 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

We would be surprised and kinder to them fair sisters if we knew how hurtful comments like these are. Underneath their porcelain skins lie fragile hearts. As a bestie to a mixed race sister, I appreciate my dark skin more. Let them be, they make us look better. Nothing like a white background to make your dark skin pop, no? Lol. drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• Osho January 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

Opinion is like an ass hole, everybody has one. Do you really want to see everybody’s asshole?! I didnt think so too.

• I keeps it real January 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

osho you just KILLED ME!!! luv luv luv your comment!

• Ewa January 8, 2014 at 8:08 am

lol.. what a comment

• idoublecrossmyheart January 9, 2014 at 12:33 am

But without asshole, how person fit shit na?

• I keeps it real January 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

I feel you Eku. Ride on girl. Keep doing your thing until people cannot but admit to the talent behind your colour. I can see you are talented and smart and I can understand how most people like to dismiss your talent and say you are only successful because you are fair. It’s just the green eyed monster (at worst), and ignorance (at best). Keep doing your thing.

• Denny January 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

Eku na baabe anytime anyday

• Thelma January 7, 2014 at 11:28 am

Ironically I’ve never really thought about her color when I think about Eku Edewor. She’s obviously very talented and great at what she does.
    And… She’s a beauty!

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• nene January 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

i’m sorry but it’s the truth. her presenting skills are average at best. she’s also successful because she’s from a rich family, not just her skin tone.

• Hannah January 7, 2014 at 12:18 pm

@nene, you are actually right. Eku is loved for her fair skin, but i dont think its a bad thing for her. at least she should be happy no one is calling her bleached skin girl. lol.

• jcsgrl January 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm

LMAO…you see why I love you sometimes :). Like Janepublic said, whish one be talent again? Anyway, she should consider herself lucky to have the look that is in vogue. Her skin color, physique and accent is career accelerator in her industry…well in Nja. Let her try it in yankee, she will be every other mary jane. Thats where her talent will really be determined. Its just like when people say my education in yankee helped me land job for nja. I cannot go and be crying that people only see my yankee accent or diploma. Bet it is true. I thank God for it and use it to my advantage. So Eku darl, dont hate. Appreciate and leverage!

• Leila January 7, 2014 at 8:32 pm

So shoot her cos she is from a rich family. Work hard so your offsprings would also enjoy those same opportunities she is ripping from.

• annybeke January 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

lolz @ osho u got me LMAO!!!
    I totally understand the Eku color thingy…just like me, pple always refer to my color and sometimes family background as the accelerator of any of my achievements…. but when life hands down an opportunity to have a personal encounter with some of those that have so dismissed me …. the experience is always almost comic!!!… ” one actually said to me ” i didn’t expect u to be dis smart, OR coordinate urself so well without daddy’s help!”. i was red with anger but i managed to mutter “ever heard of beauty and brains?”

PS: I knw u’re a bellanaija regular, MR C.M

• http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/ January 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I never see her colour just her style. Maybe because they are so many unauthentic similar skin tones in the same industry.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

• Modella January 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Not all fair or mixed people are fine,so why will people make such conclusion..it her fashion skinny self that endear her to me.

• dami January 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I totally agree with nene and hanna, she is just lucky to be mixed and from a rich family. A presenter who needs to constantly look at an ipad to interview a guest is no presenter at all. You need to find yourself a new day job sister!

• Lapes Beautiful Creature January 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm

shes so beautiful. Haters will hate
    lapesbeautifulcreature.blogspot.com

• lee January 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

na ture na. she be yellow pawpaw and na wetin dey reign. no need to dey pseudo-cry.

• Shallie’s Purple Beehive January 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm

ermmmm Eku darl that may not be far from the truth love..so many dark gurls would have prob lost jobs to you..we kno the naija mentality.. all the same pele sha..

• Naveah January 7, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Eku, do you know that song “count your blessings name them one by one, count your blessings see what God has done, count your blessings name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.” You need to sing that to yourself when ever you feel that you are bing treating unfairly due to your racial make up and privileged life.

Everyone does have a right to vent, but if there is one thing I cannot stand, it is to hear the privileged bemoan their “poor” fates….out loud in the hearing or in the case in the sight (reading) of those who have significantly less. If you are grousing about your problems with fellow I-Born-Well folks, cool but when it’s shared with the masses some of whom can’t even afford to buy this magazine whose cover you grace, it comes off rather gauche but that’s just me and my own PERSONAL opinion which does not have to be shared by anyone.

Oh my Eku, let’s see – you are young, thin, the favored complexion of the universe aka light & right, rich with a last name that opens doors and windows and you are doing what you love for a living i.e. presenting on television, modeling etc. How many people can claim such blessings? This your story about losing jobs to dark skin girls is a hard sell for me, I’m sorry to say and I am not saying you dey lie but you dey stretch because as we all know in Nigeria, the lighter you are the better your opportunities in every day life not to talk about in the entertainment industry. The same thing applies here in the United States, there are more girls that look like Halle working than there are that look like Viola Davis. It is BUSINESS! It is what the casting people think the audience members want to see so my dear, if na so e dey happen for you, kpele but I gotta tell you, I shed no tears for your dilemma when I know that there are so many more people who dey suffer for Naija for lack of jobs and opportunities with PhD for hand because they don’t have the right connections to place them in the door.

Enjoy your success and save the complaints for the pages of your diary and baba God who is the only person who can move and change things because nne to tell you the truth e dey hard to pity person wey get but still dey cry sey e no dey enough.

It is well:)

• jcsgrl January 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…chei BN commenters be killing me for office. Nne chop plenty kiss. I no wan talk all dis epistle but you don finish am for me. Issoraight! See babe wey dem born for better market yarning opata! Thank God for her life shaa

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 8, 2014 at 12:03 am

@Naveah, it’s moments like this when your comments come into their own & I say thank you for that necessary dose of straight talking. It’s almost like one of those “Move Back to Nigeria” interviewees bemoaning those advantages which led them to move back to find multi-million Naira paying jobs in the first place. Ekwu, count your blessings. If you wanted an uneven playing field, you should have stayed back in the UK and fought for your career breakthroughs there.

@Jcsgirl, you made laugh with “girl wey dem born for better market”. Haven’t heard that one before…

• asmyself January 8, 2014 at 8:31 am

spot on, well spoken. eku pls save your self pity story. u hear.

• idoublecrossmyheart January 9, 2014 at 12:37 am

I duff my red cap…I no fit talk am the way you talk am.
      As in, does she know how DENCIA’S whitenicious or snowicious cream
      SOLD out so that women can have SPECKLE of her skin tone to get as
      far as half a mile she has gotten in life? She should have several
      stadium seats. Not a good recommendation since her parents can
      afford it.

• nollare January 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I have to say Eku has that star quality. the look, the clothes, the voice etc. Showbiz needs that and that is why she is where she is. She looks like a STAR and is a great representation for Nigeria. that said, Eku is not that talented. Her presenting is very monotonous. Nothing special, nothing outside the box. Not that is is a bad thing, but it can get pretty boring. Like her interview with Kim Kardashian was so monotonous. Like someone said, if she was in America, she will just be 1 among the millions of gorgeous women and only talent will have to set her aside. The sad truth is she is well appreciated in naija coz there are not alot of her. So to answer her question, yes Eku you are only famous coz of ur looks. Sex sells in the industry and it is what it is. I am not a hater or anything, I actually love to see her on red carpets and see her clothes and hair but that is really it for me.

• Don Draper of Mad Men January 7, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I f e dey pinch am make she rub dudu osun now? abi wishh ones?

• Onye January 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

No offense but when I first saw her on 53 Extra, I was like, she obviously got the job for her looks. I hope she’s a better host now.

• right January 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Exactly. She can model but present? That’s privilege not talent.

• i no send January 7, 2014 at 8:01 pm

but its true nah..she interviews people by looking at her iPad…

• oj January 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

personal opinion, i think her looks and background have served her well in the nigerian/african entertainment industry. she should be grateful for it. even the bible says dat the swift do not win the race nor the mighty ones the battle nor do the wise have the food nor do the understanding have the riches nor even those having knowledge have the favour because time and chance befall us all. Let’s be sincere, in our world today, the best in an interview does not always get the job. count and appreciate your blessings and use it wisely. girls spend a lot of money on creams and soap to get what you were given naturally.

• Olive January 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Okay, okay. I understand your plight. However, it is kinda true darling. Light skinned girls are highly referred to jobs that sometimes they are not qualified for. As per her talents, I really do not understand how talented she is aside from speaking eloquently, good conversational skills and a pretty face. Beyonce said ‘Pretty Hurts’, well boo-hoo, because so does being dark-skinned, and having average natural looks – because these traits are never to their advantage. So, cry me a river. How the ‘french-toast’ am I supposed to be sympathetic because you are light-skinned.

• Tosin January 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

I’m extremely irritated that somebody would say ‘pretty
      hurts’, make that into a stupid song I presume and then have
      ‘journalists’ quote it like it’s Obama or Einstein. Then
      again…

• Wale January 8, 2014 at 2:05 am

Oh, pleeeze!

• mujer January 8, 2014 at 2:32 am

Well, no doubt you are hardworking. However, as a fellow yellow babe, I will say that in Nigeria and elsewhere in the world, you get ahead faster the closer you are to white. When in naija, I have access most of my darker skinned mates could only dream of or I had to do less for more. I was always treated as frail and everyone always came to my rescue. Then I came abroad and both Oyibo man and the black man here do the same. It is human nature. What part of the world and which race now? Blondes get ahead faster than brunettes. That is why many people now have dyed hair. Its not just a naija thing. it is global babay. Ride the wave!

• samuelohis.blogspot.com January 8, 2014 at 3:41 am

Eya but it is true

samuelohis.blogspot.com

• merci January 8, 2014 at 11:02 am

prefrential selection is every where, every organization has a criteria for selecting employees, its a common occurrence. At some point or the other you will lose a position because you lacked a particular thing or for no reason, life is generally unfair. Eku, just be grateful for where you are and where you are going to.

• omada January 8, 2014 at 11:33 am

LOL.

• me January 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Enjoy the opportunities as they come dear…..

• lonek January 8, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Na wa for you people o. You guys are actually confirming what she said, meaning she is not lying when she voiced her observation. That being said, it is not fair for people to always not appreciate others who are doing well or better than them by talking down on them and giving excuses why the successful are being a success instead of concentrating on how they can get beyond where they are. have you asked urself why Eku stands out among most mixed race people or is she the only person in this country in that category. abeg, you people should say well done to people when they are doing well and stop giving excuses on why they are that successful. Please can anybody tell me why Oluchi is successfull….? Her dark skin i guess? And by the way, i thought Eku has a twin sister who is almost identical, how come she is not as well known as Eku? A word is enough for the wise. Appreciate people, so u’ll be appreciated. On a second thought, I stopped taking many people on this website and others so seriously since i got to know some of the commenters’ ages….17, 18, some 15, etc..
    Eku you are blessed, talented, beautiful…continue working as hard as you are.

• idoublecrossmyheart January 9, 2014 at 12:41 am

The fact is, she is not that talented. Dolapo Oni is better than her. She is where is she because some Nigerians worship light-skin women and money. If she was a poor dark-skin girl, you think people will waste their saliva to even spit in her direction? Abeg, let my eyes see road for this comment section.

• SOLO ACT January 8, 2014 at 10:49 pm

EKU knows she can get away with being mediocre because shes lighter. and yes people think she is automatically beautiful and classy because she is light. its a fact of life that she needs to accept. just as white people have white privilege she also has privilege. if she dint think the chances of her being successful would increase in africa she would have stayed in the UK where she would have to compete with white women and in turn not have the upper hand she has in Nigeria because of her skin color. so she should stop deceiving herself and accept her white privilege that comes with her skin in AFRICA.

• lola January 9, 2014 at 12:45 am

exactly look at her sister who is based in the UK . where
      is she now ? she is not as well known as eku. eku i actually like
      you , i think you are pretty, fashionable and well spoken but i
      can’t lie to you your presenting skills aren’t up to scratch you
      should take a few pointers from toolz now she my dear is good at
      presenting .

• Dora the explorer January 9, 2014 at 2:11 am

Now that I have perused the comment, might I read the
    article that is string such controversial observations and
    comments? hehe

• Tosin January 9, 2014 at 6:34 am

The pictures are great.

• Just an opinion January 9, 2014 at 7:19 am

She’s such a DOLL!

• abi-oh January 10, 2014 at 4:02 am

she’s gorgeous to me sha from the pictures ( you never really know about how they look in real life) but like most have stated it’s really hard to empathize with her. It’s not that she hasn’t worked hard (Whatever her version of hard work is) it’s just that a lot of aspects of her life, skin tone, class/status in the Nigerian society has given her an edge.

• Gmerli January 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm

The rich also cry tinz!!!

• gia January 18, 2014 at 10:23 pm

._.
    So pathetic…as if nigeria and in fact the whole continent was not obsessed with mixed and light complected people!
    Abeg,it is the truth!

• Nkechi March 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm

But isnt it true. Do you have any talent?

• Inez May 6, 2014 at 9:42 am

I love that Eku is an achiever but I won’t lie to say I haven’t a thought to what edge life has given her, but I believe also in embracing every part of you as an Individual and not letting people quench your zeal. So, go on girl and do what you want to do.

inez-mysmallworld.blogspot.com