It has been an interesting 48 hours as Chicken Republic – a Nigerian chain of fast food restaurants shared a satirical ad which has divided opinions online.

The ad depicted a special Chicken Republic delivery for someone named Olisa in EFCC custody.

Spokesperson (National Publicity Secretary) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Olisa Metuh is presently fighting major corruption charges. It was alleged that he swallowed his confessional statement after interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
He denies that this ever happened.

Check out the ad below
Chicken Republic EFCC Ad

Since the ad was published on social media, it has gone viral and has also been DELETED from all Chicken Republic social media accounts.
Some people have applauded the ad while others have accused Chicken Republic of being insensitive, “agents of APC” and for taking advantage of Olisa Metuh’s misfortune.

BellaNaijarians, We’ll love to hear your perspective.

Chicken Republic has a 2 year history of saucy ads – many of their ads playfully address social issues and politics. Check them out below.
Chicken Republic Ad 1

Chicken Republic Ad 2

Chicken Republic Ad 3

Chicken Republic Ad 4

Chicken Republic Ad 5

Chicken Republic Ad 6

Chicken Republic Ad 7

Chicken Republic Ad 9

Chicken Republic Ad 10

Chicken Republic Ad 11

Chicken Republic Ad 12

Chicken Republic Ad 13

24 Comments on After All the Fuss About Chicken Republic’s Saucy Olisa #EatChickenNotPaper EFCC Ad…
  • FasholasLover January 24, 2016 at 11:48 am

As a business concern that wishes to go the long haul, this is in bad taste.

• Celeste January 24, 2016 at 3:34 pm

They’re business people and so, should be apolitical. They should align with nobody, to protect their interest with everybody.

• kadara January 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I think the ads are ingenious and they’ve achieved their aim which is to get us talking. When last did chicken Republic or any other fast food restaurant trend like this . People are hypocrites, when they made fun of APC and Buhari it was okay abi? Metuh should take their advice and stop eating paper like a goat.

• kaya January 24, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Just like you should take my advice and reason this issue out like you actually have a brain!!!

• Vivienne January 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

This Ads are funny AF. They just won a loyal customer

• St cathy January 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm

These ads are creative , funny and fresh. Chicken Republic is not scared to ruffle a feather like typical nigerians who are usually too scared to do anything daring.

Keep them coming, kudos! Kudos! To the creator.

• Hesey January 24, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Very nice Ads!!!!

• Ada Nnewi January 24, 2016 at 12:27 pm

These ads are hilarious.. they make fun of everybody…Chicken republic Jakande here I come?

• Nne January 24, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Lmao.Nothing like bad publicity..didn’t know they had more of such cheeky ads…now heading to chicken republic abeg. Life is too short

• nnenne January 24, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Ok, if the issue they are talking about is true.
    We all want a decent society. The only thing most of us are against is treating some people as sacred cows/ poster children. Same measurement for all Nigerians, living or dead. After all Abacha is still refunding us!
    As long as whatever issue they are up against is true, not allegation or hear- say. Otherwise people could place a class action law suit against them.
    The Olisa metu”s case is still in court, right?
    Has he been proven guilty?
    If he has been proven guilty, then that is fantastic..
    If not, then it is distasteful

• Otony January 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Nne, learn to take a joke. Whether innocent or guilty, Nigerians should see the funny side of things. I didn’t see Nigerians complain when Chicken Republic called APC names. The country never had reach the level Wey Una go dey take things too seriously abeg. Hiann

• Thatgidigirl January 24, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I love it! Why so sensitive Charles novia?

• RichyGame January 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

These creatives – though latching on some sensitive and in the case of the Olisah Metuh, barely factual happenstance – are indeed disruptive, if you understand that term within the context of brand management. And that is supposed to be a good thing.

For me and I know I speak for many, they align too dangerously with politics in general. I say in general because of the ‘Acrobatic Political Congress’ creative which barely balances the mix but can be said to, in some way, to stamp Food Concepts and their Chicken Republic brand as apolitical.

However, these pieces – especially the latest – seem to be a reflection of stunted foresight into their effects and with a crude sense of ‘it’s all publicity; the mileage is the important thing’.

I agree with humour and satire. But an organization in their industry (as indeed, any or let’s say, many) need to always check what their core or perceived messaging is in order to be widely suited to people’s psychological palate, to the best of their ability.

‘Okurin Meta – 3-in-1 BRF’; RECIPE for Transformation’; ‘Acrobatic Political Congress’ are ads that I would not allow run in our clime. The others do little to rattle sensibilities with the exception of the those in the thick of it.

Let me tell you, Union Bank did not come out with “Union Bank… The President’s Bank” in the wake of PMB’s asset declaration… not just because it doesn’t particular service the overall messaging desires/requirements of the brand when critically reviewed, but because it is too volatile a means to promote the brand.

Whenever there is strong desire to use a scenario or factor to help ginger the position of a brand say through humour but in itself, it could be detrimental, such material are usually introduced as renegades or unsolicited spin offs with no link to the brand itself.

For crying out loud, even ad agencies often deliver their work for partisan political purposes and campaigns with discretion.

The wit remain small. The could have done better.

• Toyin O January 24, 2016 at 2:21 pm

If only they’d put in as much effort on their food.. Their food is horrible yet their ads are catchy. I’ve stopped eating there since 2012 and haven’t gone back since…it’ll take more than an Olisah ad to get me to go back there…and I actually find this particular ad distatestful because this is still an ongoing case… What if the man is actually innocent (not saying he is) and they are just using his name for cheap publicity

• Bey January 24, 2016 at 3:45 pm

My dear thank you, the food is horrid. Last time I went there was 2yrs ago. When they gave me slimmy off fried rice, thank God I checked it in d car. I immediately returned and requested for my money. Even my hubby bout chips, and d oil probably wasn’t changed, looked like old oil used to fry smthn else. They shld improve on their food,they keep selling previous days food.

• Cindy January 24, 2016 at 2:47 pm

But they made fun of both APC and PDP na. Why so salty a**-lickers?

• mabel January 24, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Now this is what they can do and do well, jjust satire. Close down all their outlets because they can’t cook to save their lives. Not one single wow meal from Chicken republic. Same league as Mr Biggs. Biggs wrapped moinmoin is even better sef.

• Iris January 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm

When I saw this at first, I thought it was a one-time thing so I was thinking it was a terrible business decision and the PR person should be fired. However, since they’ve been doing this for a while, they clearly know what they’re getting into and this ad just became hilarious. I support!

• M January 24, 2016 at 3:21 pm

How wrong is this? that APC members are major shareholders in this company is not a right to foolishness; This is foolery; Even Oando can not be this stupid no matter where we know their loyalty lies, remember how much of a big deal it was when they were paying press to deny providing their private jets for Buhari’s campaign when it was true and they were well behind and invested in it? How did this find its way out my GOD!!! A corporate brand? Sense o, sense! Nigeria doing things upside down since 19 kpiridim, STUPID, VERY STIUPID, Even if one laughs.

• Art January 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I prefer Kilimanjaro to Chicken republic any day. All chicken republic do is packaging but their meals are crapy and too pricy for the quality.

• ola January 24, 2016 at 9:39 pm

so many Nigerians having a problems with this shows we still have a long long long way to go……..i wonder when people will start to express themselves the way they feel

• adelegirl January 25, 2016 at 9:49 am

I sha found the ads extremely funny. Only reason I followed the Chicken Republic twitter account. Once they stop the ads. I am un-following.

• imustdropacomment January 25, 2016 at 3:37 pm

The only reason y these ads will be accepted in Nigeria is cos we thrive on breaking our selves down. I dont think these ads r ryt…..they are jaw droppers but they are not funny neither are they right.

• mr man January 27, 2016 at 1:22 pm

They have one thing going for them though, they are conscious….Nigerians need to get some messages, and if it takes ads with satire….so be it.