ese-rescueThis is so disturbing! Unfortunately, it is one case out of many but we cannot let it go. Ese must return home #FreeEse.

The Punch Newspaper has now launched a campaign to push for her freedom.

On August 12, 2015, nothing indicated to Mrs. Rose Oruru, a food vendor in Opolo, Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, that she would soon face an ordeal over her 14-year-old daughter, Ese.

That day, she had gone to the market and left her four children at her shop. She returned to find out that her daughter, Ese, was allegedly abducted by one Yinusa, aka Yellow, who is one of her long standing customers.
EseEse

Narrating the incident, the distraught mother said, “When I came back, the elder brother of Ese, Kevin, 16, said Ese had left the shop since 11am and had not returned. I enquired where she could have gone, but he said he did not know.

“From there, I started looking for her, asking neighbours if they saw her, but they said they did not. As she usually sold food to northern artisans, I went to the place they usually gathered to find out if they saw Ese. But by the time I got there, they were in the mosque, so, I had to go back.

“After some minutes, I sent my son back to the place and directed that he should tell anybody he saw there that I wanted to see Yinusa. As the boy got there, one of them asked my son to tell me to come. When I got there, he said Yinusa, who is also called Yellow, told them he had sold his commercial tricycle and had gone home to Kano with my daughter, Ese. They told me Yinusa said he was taking Ese home to convert her to Islam to enable him to marry her.”

One Mohammed (aka Daidi) reportedly informed Oruru that Yinusa had taken Ese to Kano with an intention to marry her. She was 13 years old then.

Acting on the information, Oruru approached one Dan Kano, who not only confirmed the story, but also promised to take her to Kano to recover her daughter.

But Dan Kano reneged on his promise and sent one Rabiu to accompany the child’s mother to Kano instead.

On August 14, the anguished mother set for Kano. She and Rabiu arrived at the ancient city after midnight. In the morning, Rabiu took Oruru to the chief of a village in Tufa, Kura Local Government Area of Kano State.

Narrating her anguish amid sobs, Rose said the chief was furious with Rabiu for bringing her to Kano. He told them that Ese had been converted into Islam and renamed ‘Aisha.’ Not only that, the 14-year-old was married and that the child was no longer her daughter.

“He also informed us that Ese was in the custody of the Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, at the palace,” she stated.

Not cowed by the chief’s position, Oruru, in company with Rabiu, approached the Emir of Kano’s palace but met a stiff opposition by many youths, who pushed them out of the palace.

Oruru said Yinusa (the suspect), through phone calls, informed her that he did not kidnap her daughter as he took permission from one Dan Kano before he abducted her.

You can read the rest of the story – Part 1 sand Part 2 on the Punch website.

The bottom line is that Ese is still forcefully married and those who can help have not done so.

118 Comments on #FreeEse – Outrage over Kidnap & Forceful Marriage of 14 Year Old Bayelsa Girl by Kano Man
  • Cindy February 29, 2016 at 12:32 am

What sort of nonsense is this? I’m so angry reading this. It is a different thing for the parents to approve an underage marriage which I still find disturbing but outrightly kidnapping someone’s child? What nerve! #freeEse please. How will Sanusi talk when he himself is a pervert? Mtchew. I’m a northerner (north central precisely) but some cultures and traditions need to remain in the 19th century where they belong. This here is a CRIME.

• fleur February 29, 2016 at 1:29 am

WHat nonsense is this? If we went to Hausa quarters in Port Harcourt and took one of their 13 year olds and converted her to christianity and defiled her and refused her parents custody, would they accept it? This is rape, kidnapping and defilement of hte pedophilia kind.

• nene+ February 29, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Using religion to perpetrate evil is sad!!! They call it tradition,but it is called Peadophilia worldwide….

Call it polygamy acceptability but beneath it is adultery of the highest order…the 4th,5th,10th,20th wives is never enough.
        Shouldn’t Sanusi be a change to their 14 BC tradition, but NO he himself love them young!!!
        This is condemnable in clear terms…. Its Kidnapping, abduction and peadophilia ….

The chief was even angry Rabiu brought the Ese’s mum to Kano….. I can only imagine….

That has been the practice in the North but they should have restricted it to their fellow believers who would have kept silent…..
        #free Ese# now we know why Chibok girls were kidnapped.
        That place they kept Ese, they should ask for more girls who may have been stolen ….

• Tina February 29, 2016 at 4:50 am

Are you kidding me, so in 2016 this can still happen

• Bus February 29, 2016 at 10:43 am

Why must we always put tribe and religion in any blame game? Is there no traditional ruler in Bayelsa that can rescue the girl? Why put up pictures of some innocent people?

• Lolo February 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Are you serious? Clearly tribe and religion are to be blamed in this case. Any rational thinking person can see that. Please who or what else is supposed to blamed?

• Bey February 29, 2016 at 12:33 am

Wonders shall never end, in 2016.
    This takes us back to the 17th/18th century when people were abducted and sold into slavery.
    I also hope Sanusi’s name I’m seeing in dis story is just a mix up. Bcos………….

• *rme February 29, 2016 at 7:42 am

Pls if someone can reach the woman. They should advise her to come to Brekete family in Abuja. Its a radio program in Abuja. If she’s still in Kano, she should sharply branch Abuja. Ahmed Isa will get her daughter back.

• kiki February 29, 2016 at 10:27 am

abi o.it seems ahmed isa’s radicalism for the common man pays off better and faster than relying on the Nigerian government these days.
        this is so barbaric and the fact that it is happening in 2016 is apalling. and you shouldnt be surprised the number of ‘educated Moslems’ that would be supporting this senseless act.how would you force someone to forcefully convert and marry her at 13?pedophiles!!!!
        if it were vice versa now,only God knows how many churches would have been burnt and how many christians would have lost their lives…..
        i was born and raised in zaria and i know how these things work.as a moslem girl,you dare not date a christian boy, na big ‘Haram’.,Wetin we no see for ABU Zaria?abeg they should free that girl
        they have more than enough divorced women in kano,they can marry them please.

• Trudy February 29, 2016 at 12:36 am

Wtf? God knows i’ll go on a shooting rampage if that was my daughter

• Moyo February 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

This is exactly what I told my neighbour this morning, the man will be dead first before we start talking about whether he ought to have kidnapped her or not. Nonsense.

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 12:44 am

There is simply no excuse. Her parents are the girl’s legal guardians. There is no excusing the matter, Nigeria is either a state with laws or it is not.

Referendum on Buhari’s government, I sincerely hope he makes the obvious choice. This is however Nigeria, I’m not holding my breath.

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 12:55 am

As a nationalist, the emir should not be consulted on anything. Order him to release the girl by any means or depose him.

This however raises one of the problems with Nigeria, the Nigerian state is weaker than religion. This ties in with the Rev. King situation, as much as it hurts me to type, there must be a forced secularization of the Nigerian state, enough with the religious overtures, if you’re going to serve in any government linked-arm your religion must be strictly don’t ask, don’t tell. Are we even sure that asking the soldiers to go bring back the girl won’t lead to unrest? that the soldiers will even agree to move against the emir or his Ulama?

See my point @egghead, do you think an Uighur could kidnap somebody in China in full glare and the Uighur emir will be giving excuses, the Uighurs giving conditions for release, the citizenry not sure of the PLA’s stance. Nigeria needs a strong state and all its trappings or at the end of the day, issues like this, the central and north-east crisis, the southern agitations will continue to live and die on social media.

• Usuji February 29, 2016 at 12:47 am

This has gone on for too long !!.’, too damn long! These demented pedophiles will hide under a so called religion or culture and be commiting these heinous crimes.The SENATE has to make a law to stop all these trash!!,but will they? They would rather make laws to benefit themselves e.g wardrobe allowance, motorcade benz. This has to stop !!! I don’t give a damn whose religion this horrible act is it has got to stop now!!! Funny thing is you will never hear of the elite of these people give their own daughters away at such a young age. THIS IS CHILD MOLESTATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mr. Egghead February 29, 2016 at 1:22 am

The Senate make a law??? LMFAO
      FYI, there is a child-banger sitting comfortably in the Senate contributing to the laws of the land. He captured his own at 13 sef!

• Marlvina February 29, 2016 at 12:59 am

OMG! This is so sad. Barbaric!

• E.A February 29, 2016 at 12:59 am

Honestly I am so sick and tired of all this issues in Nigeria. Poor girl how do we as a country elect a president that is well aware of stuff like this that occurs in his community, we are so damaged as a country. I pray she is alright, with this included I think we as Nigerians need to have a discussion about the northern issues. No matter how much we would like to pretend they continue to bring Nigeria down. (Please do not tell the south is the same, because God knows something like this will not occur). I’m tired of fulani men coming into my people’s villages and destroying their lands , people can’t fight back because fear of being killed. I’m not a religious person but to deny the toxic mixture of Islam and culture in northern Nigeria and its effect on the rest of Nigeria is dangerous. We need to address these issues Nigeria needs to have one law religion should play no impact on our law. Smh 2016 we have some part with shari law. Laughable Nigeria very laughable. Night guys just love each other

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 1:22 am

Fine let’s put to an abolition of sharia to a referendum. Who do you see winning that vote…………….welcome to democracy 101.

• Mr. Egghead February 29, 2016 at 1:00 am

Honestly, I am all for “One Nigeria”, but sometimes I just want us to divide this rickety contraption of Lord Lugard. Let the child-lovers go their way and let me be on my own. We are just too different in ideology. My little experience with northerners is to graphic for BN to post, but suffice to say that, unless Presidency intervenes, then that girl is lost forever. I can already see the shadows. Even SLS and Ganduje are helpless in this matter.
    OBJ was the genesis of this whole sharia thingy when he permitted religious courts in a secular country

Imagine what the mother must be going through!!!

If na Mr.Egghead, somebody’s head will roll o!!

• Falalala February 29, 2016 at 7:56 am

Quite ignorant of you to generalize the whole North (where not everyone is even the same religion, tribe, culture etc). How will splitting the county solve pedophilia which is the matter at hand? So the female victims in the North are less than the ones down south? i do hope Ese is rescued and other victims regardless of ethnicity are rescued as well.

• Martinson Oluwaseun February 29, 2016 at 9:21 am

Good point. Unfortunately this fight is for humanity, not Southern Nigeria. And like every other issue that make people call for division, division is not the answer. our hearts need fixing, not the map.

• Oceane February 29, 2016 at 1:00 am

I think she was kidnapped because of the debt her mother owes. I don’t think that they would want the girl if her mother wasn’t owing the abductor. That’s why they have such audacity to take the baby girl. Maybe the woman should ask if it’s because of the debt. If it is then she should pay up. I don’t think they genuinely desire to marry the teen.

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 1:24 am

The beginning of the justification of madness.

• nikky February 29, 2016 at 1:44 am

Devils Advocate himself.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea February 29, 2016 at 3:09 am

You have basically compared that little girl to collateral/property to be collected as a result of a bad debt. Disgusting!

• What February 29, 2016 at 3:12 am

Sorry pls correct me if am wrong!
      So because her mother owes money , regardless of the amount. Abducting her 13yr old daughter all the way from Lagos to kano and imprisoning the poor girl is the right thing to do ?. Wow, I dont understand your point. Under no circumstances should this happen . All these inhuman acts must stop !
      Dont people owe money every where, people owe banks, credit cards, overdraft and so on . Only God knows the level of sexual assualt the poor little girl must have gone thru. Thats why I detest most of all big men , royal higness my foot !

• le coco February 29, 2016 at 6:23 am

so because of debt. they kidnap, and marry a child abi? all those other little girls tht have been married off to old men.. what debt did their parents owe? please stop justifying rubbish

• Toes February 29, 2016 at 6:38 am

Receive sense dimwit. Can you quantify the life of the poor kiddo? Why should that be reason enough to kidnap the kid in payment of a debt that I’m sure aint even up to a hundred grand? Debt? Puhleassseeee ?

• Anita February 29, 2016 at 10:38 am

Like seriously? Did you think through this at all before typing? smh at your wild thoughts (more of foolish but I will let that slide)

• OceaneIsanIdiota February 29, 2016 at 10:57 am

o ti ya were, oloshi, so abduct a child because of how much, people like you are what is wrong with the world, are you okay at all???? FFS just shut the f- up.

• Nahum February 29, 2016 at 12:23 pm

What kind of justification is that??? So because she owes money, they are allowed to take her child? A WHOLE HUMAN BEING???? What are you saying?

• Ugougo February 29, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Mr. Yinusa, Welcome ooooo. so the girl mama dey owe you okwa ya!!!! isoriati

• GP February 29, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Hey Oceane, you should start heading back to the mental home you escaped from.

• lacey February 29, 2016 at 1:09 am

This is what can cause war in a Country, this is a case of kidnap! I am so upset right now,as I do not know what gave this bastard the effrontery to come and kidnap someones 13 year old innocent daughter into slavery! This is so absurd! Nobody is stopping this silly men from marrying their own at 10, but you do not kidnap a child and moreover this is also due to poverty, as in,why will this woman allow her daughter to sell food to this men, when she had a 16 year old son! This was exposing a child to this kind men with low thinking and mentality! If that child is not produced , then there will be trouble! enough is enough!

• nikky February 29, 2016 at 1:12 am

Can someone please explain to me how you get permission from a monarch from your town to kidnap someone’s child in another state. This is just beyond unbelievable. Nothing will change in the north if northern leaders continue to hide behind religion to condone pedophiler and child rape. #FREEESE. #FREEESE.

• kim kim February 29, 2016 at 1:59 am

God ooo…I can’t believe this. African men!! A monarch gave us permission to kidnap a child?? Really in 2016, we still condone child abuse and molestation?? I bow my head in shame for this country. Return that child ooo or else there will.be trouble. Useless pedophiles hiding behind culture and religion. These northern men disgust me. Pigs

• Glory N February 29, 2016 at 2:13 am

I grew up in the north, sadly this is not a one-off incident. This happens so often, girls are forcefully abducted,converted and taken to local emirs, permanently seperated from thier loved ones who cannot turn to anyone for help. Social media is only amplifying the realities that have always existed. The amount of injustice that goes unnoticed in Nigeria is disheartening. It is a crime to be poor, it is crime to be a minority, it is a crime to be female….It is hell being a Poor female minority- it is difficult being caught within a vulnerable group with no voice in this country.
    What Boko haram did with the Chibok girls, abducting and forcefully converting is a practice that is popular and indirectly supported by the so called “moderates” in the core North. Tell me then what is the difference? who are we deceiving?
    If the case had been reverse…..imagine if a southerner had abducted a girl from kano and taken her to bayelsa and then forcefully converted her to christianity and married her, what would have been the reaction? many christians would have been killed in Sabon gari and that is the fact.
    Lets not forget the minorities in the north central who have been sent out of thier ancestral homes by Fulani herdsmen, lets not forget thier daughters/wives/sisters who have been raped and abducted, lets not forget that no one has ever sanctioned the herdsmen. they walk around freely with AK47s terrorizing, conquering, pilfering and killing. we are crying for Agatu, who will cry for Barkin Ladi, Kwata, southern kaduna, wukari? WHO?!!!!
    NIGERIA HAS FAILED MANY OF US, ESPECIALLY THE MINORITIES WHO HAVE NO VOICE
    Does one region have the monoploy of voilence? is one region above the law? Is this Nigeria really a workeable union? let’s leave sentiments aside and ponder on these things.
    I’m honestly tired.

• Falalala February 29, 2016 at 8:00 am

Thank you!!! Finally someone pointed out the fact that the North has ‘Northern minorities’ with our own plight instead of foolishly generalizing talking about 1914 rather than on current issues.

• BlueEyed February 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

To say I am furious is to put it mildly. One Nigeria has never existed and this child lovers will continue to perpetuate the evil their fanatic stupidity will allow them carry out. I have heard stories like this long before now, but on this particular one, my south south brothers and sisters should not allow this barbaric bastards get away. It’s no news that education does not liberate these northern nuisances, SLS case in point. An eye for an eye howbeit damaging is needed to put this pedophilic peckerheads in their place.

• Nahum February 29, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Well said!

• onyi February 29, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Your concerns are more than valid, i personally don’t believe in this purported one Nigeria anymore, everyone should answer their father’s name pls

• kim kim February 29, 2016 at 2:14 am

African men ooo…most of you are dirty pedophiles. What do u enjoy in raping a 14 year old?? Filthy useless disgusting pigs hiding behind religion. You all will die a very deserving death. This pig should free that girl oo..why would the emir say anything?? He is also a filthy pedophile. naa. Bella, post my comment ooo

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 7:49 am

Really most African men are paedophiles?? Pray tell what are most Caucasian and Asian men then? Get your racist self out here.

• Daybreak February 29, 2016 at 2:31 am

NONSENSE! How can this happen? Is Sanusi a law unto himself? If this was my daughter, i wont sleep, and neither will you!

• Engoz February 29, 2016 at 2:35 am

You think you’ve heard it all, but something will just come up, shock you and leave you stunned beyond disbelief. Who are these people? What is the thought process and logical explanation behind these actions? Let’s be real here, animals in human skin are living with us. I agree 100% with Mr. Kizito…there is another country inside Nigeria created by General Olusegun Obasanjo who is now parading himself as ‘father Nigeria’ despite his selling Nigeria to religious bandits under the auspices of Sharia. Northerners now have their own rules irrespective of the Nigerian constitution. To say that the girl was brought to the emir of Kano and he’s still dilly dallying on whether to release the girl or not is beyond ridiculous. And She is being held by the Kano Emirate council????? Jesus is lord!!! If these are the northern leaders now I understand why many of their subjects are two seconds from being serial killers. They are giving the father conditions before they release the girl??? One of the conditions is that the girl shouldn’t covert back to Christianity….are you kidding me? Are you freaking kidding me? Animals are living with us. And Why are we just hearing about this now? Did they just leave the mother to be fighting this on her own? Since August 2015…2015????You’ve got to be kidding me! If you all are not scared, I am. Now I believe the statistic that says one in four Nigerians have a mental disorder. How on earth can you explain this obvious madness???? If you think it is okay to kidnap a child, marry her, no matter what or what not she may have done or the parent had done, you are mad. You are a mad person. A raving lunatic. An animal in human skin. A demented, sick mistake of a human being. The community that encourages such deprecating actions is a sick one. I do not want to be in the same country with such persons.

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 7:55 am

You need to understand something, Obasanjo had no choice. Look at how most Nigerian Christians are about religion, flip it, imagine you were Obasanjo and Christians weren’t divided into denominations. They dominate the army, the DSS and the police. They begin to kill people demanding their section be governed by Christian law, what would you have done?

The issues with Nigeria has to be proceeded with very slowly, no be by gra gra. The country is a bit like riding a lion.

• Nahum February 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Wo, God bless you

• Engoz February 29, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Obasanjo sold us for Northern votes. I don’t believe he is that pious to look out for civilians considering his tactics in the Odi massacre in Bayelsa state in 1999. Same year Sharia was being implemented. He may have prevented sudden war, but he only delayed it for the future. Nigeria is just a ticking time bomb. Obasanjo will soon die, we are the ones that will bear the brunt of his mistakes. He has been able to save his ass, but has destined our generation to be burned by his decisions. The institution of Sharia has spurred on the advent of Boko Haram. So Obasanjo has only managed to delay the catastrophe ahead. So I’m not impressed by Obasanjo. As for christianity, I do not care for the sort of Christianity practiced in Nigeria either. I will be the first to destroy Nigerian brand of christianity, I can assure you that.

• Passerby February 29, 2016 at 3:02 am

The combination of illiteracy and senseless evil and hypocrisy is what manifests in these catastrophes. Don’t be fooled. Many of these so called notorious muslims claiming to be holier than the pope CANNOT even READ. They don’t understand the Arabic language, they speak Hausa and Fulfude. They may be able to recite but they do NOT understand and can’t translate anything.

If this story were indeed true, SLS should be held responsible for the affairs of his kingdom. How would he feel if they kidnapped his own daughter and converted her to a different faith??? what nonsense is this????

For the record Quran 4:19 states; “Believers, it is not lawful for you to inherit women against their will…… Do not create difficulties for your wives in order to force them to give-up part of what you had given to them to set themselves free from the bond of marriage, unless they have clearly committed adultery. Always treat them reasonably. If you dislike them, you could be disliking that which God has filled with abundant good.”

• SpeakNoEvil February 29, 2016 at 3:26 am

I am so angry at this that I am vibrating here. Saying #freeEse is like we are begging the paedophile to return her.

What we should be doing is demanding her return. The police should start with arresting EVERYONE that had anything to do with Ese’s abduction. The rapist should be tried and hopefully sentenced to life in prison.

On another note, Nigeria is a civil society and everyone should submit to our civil laws. There is no room for anything else.

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 7:59 am

The police are underpaid, outnumbered and not your friends, you think they’re risking their heads for some strangers daughter?

As I keep saying the problems of Nigeria, no be here. Occasionally I sympathise with our leaders.

• Tosin February 29, 2016 at 3:30 am

Response required. What will the Emir do?

• Dinma Caruso February 29, 2016 at 3:45 am

The Muslim northerners, Nigeria’s headache since 1914. How do we live peacefully with these people? Everywhere they go, they wreck havoc.. they are paedophiles, murderers, blood suckers, the tribe with the least to contribute to Nigeria, they control the legislature and come up with the craziest of laws (e.g promoting the non usage of contraceptives in family planning). What kind of people are this? I am totally against the break up of this country, but how am I Nigerian with these crazy people?

• Falalala February 29, 2016 at 8:02 am

And you think the South was one united region? If he didn’t amalgamate, you’d still be complaining, Yoruba vs Ijaw, Igbo vs Ishekiri, Bini vs Kalabari. Senseless comment!

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 8:03 am

Let’s calm down the exaggerations, you likely have lived in peace with many Muslims. They haven’t been Nigeria’s headache since 1914.

If we’re being technical, all their leaders wanted was to be left alone, of course ours couldn’t exercise patience and wait for the demographics to change…………, ours wanted political power now! and when they outmaneuvered them, they .just had to go kill them…………………..after allowing them to have the majority of army recruits, rookie move.

• Passerby February 29, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I don’t think it’s a northern or religious thing. It is a due to a culture of bad education and lack of awareness which you are also displaying by your tribalistic bigotry laced comments…..after all, children are being inflicted with burns in Calabar for being witches.
      You hear of pastors slapping members of the congregation or even sleeping with their followers.
      People need proper education and enlightening.

Even many of the educated people are illiterates. Many who claim to know the bible or Quran don’t know jack!

• Chi-e-z February 29, 2016 at 4:05 am

This is kidnapping. There needs to be a separation of state and religion. Every human being has a right (born freely, pursuit of happiness…) this is a human rights violation. There certain ways human being is to act that separate him/her from animals sometimes I wonder about some people.

• tshidi February 29, 2016 at 5:09 am

honestly i don’t know what Nigeria is turning to. abducting a teenage girl, getting married to her, giving her parents conditions of release?? this is absolutely ridiculous. how well a government protects it’s vulnerable shows how the government values it’s citizens. it pricks my heart looking through all sphere of our government with the conviction that all of them don’t care about the common citizens.

• molly February 29, 2016 at 5:55 am

This was why I had a problem with SANUSI’S UNDERAGE MARRIAGE (though he said she was 17 and wouldn’t move in till 18, yimu) . As a former technocrat, he was supposed to pass a stron message to his people who have a lot of respect for him, but no, he had to prove that he is a real son of the soil

• Falalala February 29, 2016 at 8:03 am

Agreed! SLS is part of the problem. He has a chance to set a precedent and he didn’t unfortunately. Very sad #bringbackALLourgirls

• Dinma Caruso February 29, 2016 at 6:14 am

This relationship between the north and the south is not working. Northerners be giving Nigerians headache since 1914……

• Falalala February 29, 2016 at 8:04 am

How will that bring Ese back?

• ANGRY ME February 29, 2016 at 8:25 am

@ Falalala you have been al over retorting @ ppls comment please in all of your comments how have you sympathized with Ese and her poor family. All you could say was bring back our girls! The north HAVE been giving us problems since time immemorial. Even the maltreated minorities in the north will choose their own rather than choose you so let people air their grievances for God’s sake!!!

• ANGRY ME February 29, 2016 at 9:13 am

• le coco February 29, 2016 at 6:22 am

what nonsense. you didnt kidnap her.. but you took permission from some random person who isnt even her mother or father… please i dont wnt to sound like i am a tribalist.. but this shows tht no matter hw educated a man is… once they throw traditional title at him.. all education goes out the window.. abeg EMIR OF KANO… return that girl… and stop displaying illeteracy.. #rubbish

• coke February 29, 2016 at 4:59 pm

The Emir kidnapped the girl or what f-eries are you chating?

• Where is Ijaw youth congress February 29, 2016 at 6:27 am

This is when Ijaw youth congress should speak out, I really don’t understand this nonsense

Ultimatum should be given to northerner s to produce Ese, if not any Hausa person remaining in bagels a will be slaughtered …enough is enough ..this idiots have taken us for granted for too long..we want peace in this country doesn’t mean we don’t know what we are doing

It’s my believe that small girl was brought to the Emir Sanusi as one of his young girls he sleeps with, because I know that man is notorious with women, he enjoys sleeping with people wives and anything that wears skirts..useless fellow…

The moment Ese returns, all blood and urine tests must be conducted to check if they have infested her with disease

Nonsense, and yet Sanusi will open his mouth to criticise GEJ , yet his own wardrobe is loaded with dirty clothes

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 8:07 am

The Ijaw are what 10 million? my disinterested advice don’t start a tic for tac with the Northern Muslims, you’ll lose and the country will fall into further chaos.

My interested plea, please leave the gas pipe-lines alone.

• Where is Ijaw youth congress February 29, 2016 at 6:27 am

Ultimatum should be given to northerner s to produce Ese, if not any Hausa person remaining in bayelsa will be slaughtered …enough is enough ..this idiots have taken us for granted for too long..we want peace in this country doesn’t mean we don’t know what we are doing

• It’s well February 29, 2016 at 6:36 am

This Hausa -Fulani people …right from time immemorial , they have taken every other part of this country for granted …..will any indigene of the south go to Kano and kidnap a young Muslim girl and take to Oba of Benin palace, or ONI of Ife palace and these northerner s will take it lightly

Lets treat each other with mutual respect , and not take any indigene of smaller state for granted

This is simply what made Scotland to ask for a referendum to break out from United Kingdom …we should stop making a part of this country feel like they are not important ..to the best of my knowledge , oil in Nigeria was first discovered in olobiri village in bayelsa…so enough of all these ridicule.. We are suppose to be one Nigeria

And Sanusi with all his so called exposure and education, he still will behave like the mallam security in my estate..what happened to all the exposure you claim you have .

Shame on every Kano elder, who could help , but refuse to assist .,shake on all of you ….

• ElessarisElendil February 29, 2016 at 8:12 am

I’m always curious when Nigerians think the South breaking away from the poorer North will do?

Look at a map of Africa, if you want to make a refugee crisis/border insurgency your business for the rest of our lives, then No! the South needs to keep subsidising the North(the whole central Sudan IMO) and drag them up with us,

Nigeria is one case where selfishness won’t work, breakaway and you’ll have an angry possibly irrational neighbour on your Northern borders, think Kenya’s problem with Al-Shabbab but worse. We need to bring the whole sub-region along or eventually have to start shooting people at the borders. Just the way it is.

Plus there is the whole, food basket thing they have going for them.

• Fred February 29, 2016 at 8:09 am

The sanctity of human life is non-negotiable and the innocence of a child MUST not be tampered with. This is a clear case of Kidnap, rape, defilement and enslavement. All the culprits starting from the man that ran away to Kano, the man that gave permission, the Emir of Kano and all others that conspired in this atrocity should be arrested, charged to court and committed to life imprisonment. This is a crime against humanity. They should be severely punished to serve as a deterrent to others. Religion does not have anything to do with this crime. I call on the CP of Kano State and the DSS to make this happen ASAP. WOTCLEF, NBA Kano chapter, Director of Public Prosecution, BYSG, KNSG, NASS pls take note and do the needful. The life and Freedom of Ese is as important as that of any Nigerian.

• Mara February 29, 2016 at 8:22 am

Very disturbing. Kudos to the Punch for the campaign. Yes, it’s one case out of many but hopefully if this one is taken to a proper conclusion it will help to deter other pedophiles. We can’t continue to let our young girls be abducted, raped and treated like property by these sick monsters. I can’t even imagine the ordeal of this child and her family. We must make as much noise about this as we can until something is done. Ese must be freed immediately.

• girlie February 29, 2016 at 9:10 am

Omg!to think l woke up to this kind of news this morning.wat a pity,l weep for the poor soul.this has jst soiled my mood…l hope it doesnt equally spoil my day.this is outrightly terrible and unacceptable,dont they have daughters.we all need to be on our feet right now;human rights activists,the women empowerment initiative,ministry of women affairs etcetra.this should be a collective effort lf we want to get a positive outcome.must we allow religion to play a role in every decision making in the country.its time we decide lf our religion or law should come first in every decision.#freeese#

• laughter February 29, 2016 at 9:13 am

Okay I live in the north too. And I remember saying thate other Aisha the pastors daughter was kidnapped and someon wrote an article saying she is an adult. These people strike vulnerable people adukt or not and when they realise they never let them go even if they do their children never escape. Southerners think they umderstand. Biko if you are muslim esp haus abeg realease the girl. They would have finished her vajayjay sha. Women girls mothers be careful that mallam you cant imagine kissing hehe watch ur step

• ANGRY ME February 29, 2016 at 9:13 am

• Livy February 29, 2016 at 9:34 am

I am more worried on what inspired Yinusa to kidnap a 13 yr old, cos same mandate of piety is still influencing more like him

Nigeria needs serious rebirth. National laws must be strengthened and made to lord over religious, sectional and cultural dictates @egeonwrites

• Amina February 29, 2016 at 9:40 am

Na wa o! So Sanusi is sitting on this matter, yet he advises on economic issues?

• Niyoola February 29, 2016 at 9:49 am

President Buhari should please send a bill to t NASS to abolish Sharia in Nigeria; or what other mechanisms are available to stop this Sharia nonsense.
    Nigeria is not an Islamic or Christian state please.

Shame on Sanusi for allowing thi happen under him. For Referring to Ese as Aisha….. indirectly affirms his support of her being converted to Islam.
    Shame on the Police for saying she Eloped and wasn’t kidnapped. An un-emancipated 13 year old cannot ‎elope. She was kidnapped.
    Shame on everyone in the Emir’s place, NPF (Kano n Bayelsa) who allowed this issue fester.

Shame on some people on social media, especially ladies who said they blame her parents for not monitoring their daughter, ‎for saying a 13 year old is better married than being a prostitute (WTH) and all other mad stuff.

Naija, I though I had heard it all.

HAVING A VAGINA IN NIGERIA IS A CRIME AND A SIN.
    I’m just tired.‎

• Niyoola February 29, 2016 at 9:53 am

Buhari is in the best position to stop this Sharia nonsense.
    Because we have to tiptoe around all things Islamic ‎(and sometimes Christian), a Muslim Hausa President will be able to make this change happen.

That’s Buhari said he’ll look into the Agatu ‘clashes’. Is Clash now a synonym for massacre?

SMH‎

• edna February 29, 2016 at 9:57 am

Where is IYC? Is ijaw youth congress known for pipe vandalisation only? If not Ese’s case is enough for them to have taken action.. IYC should have kidnapped 12 northern women and demand Ese as ransom, immediately she will be released. We all know Salisu as a failed CBN Governor whom most of us know as fanatic believed to be one of the founding sponsors of boko haram. A gladiator of the game to make Nigeria an OIC state.

• Moyo February 29, 2016 at 10:05 am

Please let us do something positive than just complaining, people who are on twitter should start #FreeEseimmediately, what is our Senate doing, Ben Bruce and Bukola are on Twitter. We should not keep quiet about this, if it happens to Ese today it may happen to any other girl tomorrow. I cant believe all this has been going on since August 2015 and nothing has been done, by the way where is Ese’s father, shouldn’t he also be involved in this. We have a Ministry of Women Affairs and a Minister. FOR GOODNESS SAKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH US IN THIS COUNTRY

• Anita February 29, 2016 at 10:16 am

What kind of nonsense is this somebody please tell me………Is this madness or oppression? What arrant foolishness is this? Do we have a right to freedom at all in this country? Just seeing this and if I say I am pissed it is the lack of the right word at this moment to convey my feelings of anger, worry and distraught. Please oh people! Spread this message till something is done about this. I can’t imagine the hell her mother’s been through all these months!

• Hawtspot February 29, 2016 at 10:18 am

I find this story very disturbing…

• edna February 29, 2016 at 10:31 am

Now an Emir, what else do you expect from him? These are same people clamouring for change by using this same Kano’s palace for elections rigging that AIT televised which is leading to Raymond Dokpesi’s present travails. This same man believed to have travelled with our President of change and u think IG or the DDSS can enter his palace and recover Ese without being sacked and replace by the National publicity secretary of APC?The onus is on IYC and it will be a shame to the ijaw Nations for such a thing to happen in their state and they could not do anything. IF lslam is like this it then means is not a relireligion for humIns, but if not Muslims should see Ese’s case as dignity of their religion is being bastardized by the unfortunate Emir of kano.

• Ibinabo February 29, 2016 at 10:33 am

This story is just irritating.

• mrs chidukane February 29, 2016 at 10:50 am

I’m just so angry right now. What is all this sef? Can’t this northern men control their libido?

• mrs chidukane February 29, 2016 at 11:05 am

I just read the mother’s interview and I wept. I curse everyone that has a hand in kidnapping this girl and keeping her hostage till now especially SLS. You will never know peace in your lives. Are there no more girls of your religion? To think other girls have been kidnapped like this? Tomorrow they will use them for suicide bombing? God will expose all of you and punish you severely. Wicked animals. Our authorities had better sit up and do something. These people are becoming a problem to Nigeria and if the government will not deal with them, they should not be shocked when people take up arms against them.

• Dinma Caruso February 29, 2016 at 1:34 pm

God will continue to bless you

• mulikat February 29, 2016 at 11:06 am

angry reading this news,if is their child a christian force ,kidnap,is big problem,now cover under carpet,kidnap another man child at 13ys force to convert and marry without her parent permision is bad.why must everything in norther islam or arabs islam must be force,no respect for others ,above the law.thank God we yoruba muslims dont do this,few with animal brain like northern or stay with them ,then brain wash them do like them. we even get pregant b4 marry or muslims woman marry christian or traditional belive ,nobody kill u ,so on, that reason they say we are not gud muslim,we are happy this way,that reason we have love and peace.afterall Islamand christianity come to us 200ys not so long.without this religion things, everybody stay with their traditional belive, their wont be war,hate and killing.bring the gal back to her parent.if she is old after finish school,she still love and want to convert so let it be,not by force.

• ujay February 29, 2016 at 11:23 am

Really!!! A child she carried for 9 months or more is no longer has daughter bc she’s married and coverted to islam. Without her parents consent?? They must be joking. And the FG hasn’t done anything about it. This issue should have been dealt with long before now. Lord, its high time you intervene in this country bc this country has become something else.

• seffy February 29, 2016 at 11:37 am

what nonsense, is not anywhere in the QURAN to forcefully marry a girl without her parents approval. SLS U better do something or else Allah’ wrath await you.

• mz titilitious February 29, 2016 at 11:39 am

I’m just annoyed! WtF!!!? Someone shuld do something abeg!

• X-Factor February 29, 2016 at 11:48 am

Barbarism of the highest order….We pray for Ese’s freedom and reunion with her Family in Jesus name. I guess this is the time for Asari Dokubo and his men to stand up for their own south south sister!!!!

• cubito February 29, 2016 at 11:48 am

‘Islam is a religion pf peace’…. that peace is what i dont understand!, terrorist killed, u said they r not muslim. Kidnapping now, u will say they r not muslim, forcefull marriage too, let me guess, they r not muslim…

• Nahum February 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Listen, enough with these ignorant tribalistic comments. You are not helping the situation, you are just dumbing down the argument. A child was kidnapped, forcefully converted and raped, these are the issues we need to deal with. We need to help this poor family make as much noise as possible until their child is brought back and we need to shine a light on this issue. Insulting one another is just stupid and it does not help anyone.

• Dinma Caruso February 29, 2016 at 1:41 pm

You listened to comments of those that live in the North. for them it’s a way of life, a culture. you can’t do anything to change it. child marriages will still continue, people will still bomb in the name of religion. they would still continue to hate education. It’s in them. how do you help in such a situation? solutions needed.

• Nahum February 29, 2016 at 2:23 pm

So your solution is to insult ethnic groups and incite hatred. Pray tell, how is that a sensible solution?

• JEGAism February 29, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Pray Nahum tell us what to do seeing that you aren’t cursing or pointing fingers and you aren’t preferring any sensible solution.

• Tunmi February 29, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Woahhh……..it will take us a while to get the separation of church and state

• Moyo February 29, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I hope the news is true that the Emir of Kano ordered that Ese be returned to her parents in Bayelsa today.

• Celeste February 29, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Returning the child to her parents is not just enough. Justice should be served and the perpetrators of this crime punished accordingly.

• coke February 29, 2016 at 5:03 pm

My take in all of these is for parents to look after their wards. All these Naira and kobo tales don’t make sense at all.
    To those chatting fuckeries did SLS kidnap the child?

• Celeste February 29, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I’m so disappointed at the Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. Such a shame of a man of his caliber. FORMER CBN GOVERNOR MY FOOT!

BN post my comment.

• prince February 29, 2016 at 5:24 pm

The fastest solution I see right now is Ahmed Isa of Brekete family on LoveFM. anyone that knows this woman should tell her to come down to Abuja and meet with the anchor, that guy is radical and his radicalism yields result.
    He’s got the phone numbers of to Government officials and he’ll call them right there on the program.

• veekee February 29, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Am just furious that such a thing is still happening.Only God can heal the scar they hv created in her life.Can’t imagine what she’s gone through at such an early age.

• nnenne February 29, 2016 at 7:55 pm

@ Oceane…. That’s if they didn’t sleep with her!

• nnenne February 29, 2016 at 7:58 pm

This is unthinkable.
    The perpetrators should face the law, even after releasing the girl.

Stories like this make Nnamdi Kanu a national hero!

• bbz February 29, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I went to the punch website following the links bellanaija cited and i also came across this write up that was written on punch today that she is free and now with her parents.
    I do pray this is true!
    Bellnaija pls do confirm and also followup on this story from punch newspaper so people that are worried about this know!

• oversabi March 1, 2016 at 12:42 am

Is this girl still in captivity? Where are the Chibok champions? Dr Ezekwesili, your voice is needed, biko. we can rescue this one. How is this different from what Boko Haram did to those innocent girls studying in their school for exams? In this instance, we can track the girl and the kidnapper. Track her down and secure her release before he slaughters her. E no hard for them to pull dagger. Life is meaningless over there. The govt now knows where she is. Wont you release a Chibok girl if you know where she lives with her kidnapper? Or is it okay when it happens to Rivers and Bayelsa people just like pollution is acceptable when it happens to us?

• PD Young Billionaire March 1, 2016 at 4:53 am

They must have defiled the girl by now. So unfair.The less-privileged are really suffering in Nig.Which way Nigeria????

• Truth March 2, 2016 at 11:50 am

Randy old he-goat…rapist…pedophile. ..and he is a politicial offical….Nigerians shame on u all…when will u people seat up and get ur act together…why should old corrupt men who are at their retirement age rule u?

• Cletus March 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm

My problem with Nigerians is that we jump to conclusions without even researching on a topic. The girl said she wasn’t abducted but rather eloped with her 17years old boyfriend who was arrested when he went to marry her…..Nigerians boko!!!! You have computers use it..

• nura bello wakili March 8, 2016 at 1:16 am

let them keep making mouth,islam my religion