Belgium-based Assita Kanko, political activist and writer (originally from Burkina Faso) was questioned by airport security if her daughter was really her child, and when he didn’t believe her, he asked her 8 year old daughter himself.

When Assita asked the airport security agent why he didn’t believe her, even after providing her birth certificate, passport and other documents, he didn’t have an answer.

One of her followers, a Nigerian-born author Chika Unigwe, concurred that the same thing happened to her at an Atlanta airport.

Another follower called out the racism, and said it happened to her as well.

36 Comments on Airport Security asks Belgian Activist if Mixed Race Daughter is Really Her Child
  • E.A March 28, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Why does everything have to go on social media, a simple security question yes it must be frustrating but get over it not tell the whole world, some stories are only meant to be told to friends and families.

• Alter E.A March 28, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Why did you have to comment? You should have just read and discussed at your family meeting.

• Corolla March 29, 2016 at 12:54 am

Lol @ alter. Love your response.

Know what I will like both E.A and Alter E.A’s comments because I like to, but while at it l’ll tell you a story, sorry I have forgotten the story, wait I remember now I really didn’t want to tell you anything but to see how patient you are. So if you are still reading this you are awesome and patient. sorry for taking your time and saying nothing. It’s because I want to,

• Grace March 29, 2016 at 1:48 pm

LMAO….You so damn funny.

• cos I say so April 1, 2016 at 12:09 pm

family meeting… i actually laughed out very loud

• Mar March 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm

People like you are part of the problem. Why should a security officer doubt her legitimacy after all expected documentation was provided from borth certificate to passport. What does he want? Birth video of the child coming out of her??? In case you didnt know thats what racism looks like

• Bella March 29, 2016 at 11:31 am

Racism ke? are you serious; I think we are taking this word way too lightly? Remember that its his or her job to ask biko, how is this racism. There is a lot of child trafficking in the work, regardless of the papers produced, its better to ask than to be sorry later! Abeg, lets halt this racism calling of all sorts!

• Me March 28, 2016 at 9:18 pm

This is why I love my bellanaija family. Too much sense, I thought the same thing as well when I saw the story on Linda’s blog. It’s an expected security check. It’s not every time racism, racism……, ah na wa…all this typical akata mentality

• Jezebel March 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I was asked this same question by a female nigerian immigration officer. The Belgian was even polite, the nigerian officer said something along the lines of “if that is not your child you won’t travel with him let me just tell you now”.

She wasnt standing in the immigration booth, just loitering albeit in her uniform. I was at first confused and worried, it was a few days to Christmas and we had made firm plans and then I realised ‘wait o’ I’m in Nigeria and mentally fortified myself for a battle which began with the evilest look I could aim in the woman’s general direction. Ghen ghen.

• dupsy March 28, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Abeg get ready for more interrogations like these and even worse thanks to those yeye Islamic radicalists who just want to die and kill everyone! The world has really become more difficult to live in thanks to them. It is really frustrating for everyone honestly but it is better for them to be over sabi and ensure our safety.

• Sheri March 28, 2016 at 9:24 pm

So what’s the problem? They were doing their job correctly. People kidnap, smuggle children out of the country all the time. Attention seeking people everywhere. Urghh.

• sista March 28, 2016 at 9:39 pm

mmttttchhheeewwww

• Ann1 March 28, 2016 at 9:44 pm

As annoying as it might be, that is a necessary question. It’s for your own good in return.

• nene March 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

and so what? its a simple question. ppl smuggle all sorts of children

• Hmmmm March 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm

So???? He should believe you “because you have said it and your word is true”?? Lol..Just allow the child to answer abeg. Not everything is about racism. Some things are standard security procedures, because you could be a kidnapper on the run with a child.

It’s just like the Drug agency allowing you to pass through without appropriate checks just because you said you aren’t a dealer.. Lol

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 29, 2016 at 1:17 am

He should believe her because from the account above, it appears that she already provided passports, a birth certificate and the necessary official documents to answer his question.

Unless the immigrantion officer similarly questioned the Caucasian children who strolled past with Caucasian parents – what’s our guarantee they haven’t been kidnapped either?

• marlvina March 28, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Well? What do you expect? With the current situation in the world, I also will ask. In fact I will request to see the father.

• Seriously March 28, 2016 at 10:39 pm

True. However, if she showed proper document why the extra question. It can be annoying. Belgians are very racist though. When President Obama came into office, a high Belgian newspaper showed Mr president and First Lady as chimpanzees. And also said president Obama will smoke weed as a president. It was very disrespectful.

• bruno March 28, 2016 at 11:33 pm

continue feeling interior.

someone like u, u will blame everything wrong with ur life on the white man. na u sabi.

this is standard procedure. I saw on the news when a stranger called the cops on a white man who was walking out of the mall with 2 little black girls. police came to his house, they later found out that they were his biological kids. his wife is black. did u see the man screaming racism. biko several seats.

oyinbo police pls continue to do ur job. nothing do u

• Olayemi March 28, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Me sef will ask about the Father. Moving on!…..

• Bey March 28, 2016 at 11:06 pm

People must bring race into every single ishhhh. So many ppl lost their kids, I’m sure they wld much rather have a security guard find their child alive and ask d so called silly question.
    How abt me dat Iv been purposely told to set aside at d airport in Nigeria and taken to do an x-tray, asin proper one to check if u injested drugs. Shld I start shouting it’s discrimination. I did it and almost even missed my flight.
    Airport security only doing dere job. D more u argue wit dem d worse for you. I just made sure I had my bags wit me thruout, before d bad belle ppl put drugs in my enemies bag.
    Dere problem was I was travelling quite a lot at dat period. Dey asked for my work ID, and I told dem why wld I be travln with word ID.

• Gorgeous March 29, 2016 at 12:36 am

Let’s be honest. The kid looks a bit more than biracial. We all see things through our own prejudices. Am sure that is not the first time she has had awkward moments about that particular child. She leans more in favor of her white heritage.

• Tunmi March 29, 2016 at 1:00 am

If it was a dark skinned parent with a dark skinned child, this would not even be an issue. If the parent or adult and the child had the same skin tone or skin complexion, this would not be an issue at all. The airport official let his or her bias cloud his or her judgment. The woman provided proof upon proof yet the official didn’t budge. Is every adult with a child subject to the same treatment?

• Mrs Haastrup March 29, 2016 at 1:36 am

Now of you that don’t know shit or that has never be in this position won’t understand,and will never be. If a security asked me if that was my daughter,i provided him/her all the documents and he or she asked my daughter,then their company is getting sued for one of their employee stupidity.

• neharra March 29, 2016 at 3:14 am

why am i the only one who sees something wrong with this? if its supposed to be a security measure do they ask every single child to clarify their parent? Or are they under the assumption that people cannot kidnap kids that are the same race as them.It seems pretty stupid to me.

• Choices March 29, 2016 at 4:15 am

It’s a normal question because mama and daughter don’t have the same skin tone..better safe than sorry. But I can also get why people would think this is racist. If the tables were turned and it was a white mom with her biracial or adopted black/Asian kid, would they ask her so many questions to the point of asking for the kid’s birth certificate? Who even travels with a birth certificate? I wouldn’t have had it on me..but considering the recent attacks and manhunt for the runaway suspect, I understand why.

• Toks March 29, 2016 at 5:14 am

I think you’re all missing the point here. The kids in question are all mixed race. Would they ask your child the same question if you are both black? No so why should they if you’re a single parent travelling with a mixed race child if you’ve provided all the documentation.

• Comment March 29, 2016 at 7:03 am

What is the security risk in a woman and a mixed race child who lookscomfortable enough in the company of the person she is with and grown enough to look frazzled if she was being kidnapped???? It’s a very silly and cheeky question to ask……and families are diverse…can’t she be the Aunty or even step mom? …….and if she wasn’t the mom then what next? An arrest?

Where is the security sense in that question other than silly mischief or attempt to humiliate random citizens?…..,will they ask a white woman the same question?…..if you know how these people profile the answer is a no.

So shameful anyone will defend them…..wait till its you in the shoes of this woman…..please what security job were they trying to fulfill pls explain it because I don’t get it.

• Mr. Egghead March 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

If I see a black woman trying to leave a country with a white baby, I will ask some questions. Besides, it is not like the security official detained her or refused to allow her board the flight.

• concerned9a March 29, 2016 at 9:02 am

Some people just don’t get it until….it happens to moi!!

• jesbadoma March 29, 2016 at 10:12 am

BN you sef! Must you publish everything?

• concerned dad March 29, 2016 at 10:12 am

I really don’t see any big deal, here in 9ja at the height of kidnappings in south, a policeman once ask my 11yr old daughter the same question cos she was sleeping in the back seat. He apologized later and I told him I understood.

• Pinkfunky March 29, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I don’t understand what the issue is with her?
    With so many child abduction in the world today, they are only doing their job.
    I once travelled with my 5 year old daughter a while ago and she was asked the same questions because my surname was still in my maiden name.
    God forbid if anything happens she will be the one to sue the government for not doing a proper check at the point of entry.

• shakitibobo March 29, 2016 at 1:33 pm

That’s why it’s called security woman. The security agent is only taking good security measures because it’s an unusual situation. I know a white couple here in Toronto that adopted an Asian kid and they get questioned constantly at the airport. Nothing extra ordinary here. These days people are so dramatic Jeez!

• hB March 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

This is routine/child protection security questions. I have asked similar question at Airports when i travel with my child. Nothing to buzz about.