Music

The ReBirth of Mem’O

BellaNaija.com

After her introduction to the music industry with Nigerian gospel music pioneers KUSH, Emem Inyang decided to focus on discovering and developing talent out of a passion for the industry and what it portends. This led to the birth of one of the pioneer Creative Arts Management Company in Nigeria, ONE Integrated Management Co.
She won the first ever British Council, International Young Music Entrepreneur (Nigeria) Award in 2006, was nominated as Young Entrepreneur of the year at the 2007 Future Awards and has been a major contributor to the development of the Nigerian entertainment Industry.

All this is asides the fact that she is a part of the history making, industry defining, Nigerian International group KUSH. Most people know her as Emem Ema but as an artiste, she’d rather be known as Mem’O!

When the world wondered when would she drop her own solo album she never gave into the pressure. Apparently, one call from her group member and producer extraordinaire, Dapo Torimiro was the confirmation she needed that sealed the deal.

For those who do not know, Dapo is a member of KUSH and has recently been responsible for hits like John Legend’s “Quickly”, Brandy’s “Torn Down”, David Archuleta’s “Running” and co wrote Obama’s Campaign song,”Change”. He produces and features in her hit single GREENLIGHT which is tearing up the
Nigerian airwaves in just less than a week of release.

Greenlight is a product of what happens when creative chemistry collides…enjoy the fresh sound from the artiste known as, Mem’O.

Download

1. Anonymous1

January 4, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Wicked stuff, heard this on the air and I went insane. This is what we need in 2009. Greenlight…I can do anything! Way to go Mem’O.

2. Flexy

January 4, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Now that’s what I call music, longtime coming Emem. Can we have more? I predict this will be one of the hits of ’09.

Bella, I don’t know how you did this but thank you!

3. miani

January 4, 2009 at 4:19 pm

WAY TO GO EMEM!!

4. Taxman

January 4, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I can do anything! Great play on words, “Living in denial don’t make you an Egyptian” LOL! I’m feeling Greenlight.

5. Nitesh

January 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Usually I’m a skeptic to such form of music, but Greenlight is seriously amazing…this is what we need..so holla folks…..

greenlight…for Emem

6. Soulfish

January 5, 2009 at 1:55 am

i just have one thing to say…”Naija Rocks 4EvER!!”

7. Qed

January 5, 2009 at 11:58 am

kush was great, was sad when they split but it seems the ladies together or apart are unstoppable. they are multi-talented and most inspiring, wish them all the best

8. 9ja

January 5, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Ah ah. The beat and lyrics are too tight! Mem’O, Emem O! Anyone, you rock girl! Well done. So when is KUSH regrouping?

9. darlingoma

January 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Mehn…. greenlight is a hit already. Its unusual, different and makes the idea of a follow up album very promising. More grease to your elbows memo, we await a part 2

10. Standtall-The Activist

January 5, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Yes! I expect the best from Mem ‘O

11. Dooshima

January 6, 2009 at 12:15 am

i’ll overlook the fact that this write up hyped the Producer of the tracks credentials more than Mem’O’s, so what if he wrote Obama’s theme song..is tht going to give me constant PHCN so i can check bellanaija when i want??…the beat sounds like a Timberland LeftOver…im a bit tired of the whole “Ayyy” thing..blame Naeto-C and T.I…and she could have named it anything else…c’mon after John Legend’s 2008 hit..”greenlight”..and TY Bello’s “GreenLand”..i’ve seen her [email protected] & i knw she could have come up with something else…i think the track needs to be mixxed again thou…after stating the obvious..dont think im beefing..i’m a radio Dj & i like the song 🙂 way to go Emem!!oooops..Mem’O right…

12. musik luvher

January 6, 2009 at 3:22 am

Dooshima, it sounds like you’re either very bitter or very envious! Which is it?
    The producer, Dapo Torimiro, is a member of Kush, the writer mentioned him because he obviously deserves it. He is making us Nigerians proud in the US, it’s people like you that make me feel ashamed to be a Nigerian sometimes. He’s worked with Stevie Wonder, Lauryn Hill, John Legend, Brandy. Joss Stone… do you want me to go on? What exactly have you accomplished?
    You don’t have to like someone’s work, but at least be respectful when you express your opinion.

Emem, great job!!! we’re looking forward to more!!!

13. 9ja

January 6, 2009 at 9:05 am

Eya, Dooshima. Well, what can we say? Timbaland leftover? Sorry eh…another ‘hater’. Did you listen to the lyrics, did you listen to the sound. Instead of shooting holes, like Musik Luvher said, celebrate, don’t hate. There is no comparison between this song and TY’s or John Legend’s. I think the lyrics say it all! So here is a little word of advice for you “Go be anything you want to be, er…except a hater”

Peace.

14. Ladi

January 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Dooshima is a dj (are you the popular abuja one??) and has a point.

The name can confuse a little but I guess Mem’O named it what she wanted.

I actually like the song…I won’t say Timbaland leftover but definitely influenced. By the way many Beyonce songs (aspecially the beats) are remixed songs from the 60s and 70s but no one tags them leftovers so,….

15. Dooshima

January 6, 2009 at 11:18 pm

mr.music lover goodevening o!!..if you bothered to read to the end of my comment..u would see where i said my praises…hater would be the last thing I am..I love & respect Emem very much& the steps she takes to make it possible for upcomming artiste’s to express themselves the way she has, however nothing is ever perfect so if i get slack for being the first to point out a few faults no problem….what have i accomplished??tune into 96.9 COOLFM Abuja on the Mid-day Oasis..i’m not saying i’m the Greatest..but tell me who’s better????????

16. Ladi

January 7, 2009 at 5:16 am

I asked if you were the Abuja fmous Dooshima earlier…so you are? YEI!!!!

17. FX10

January 7, 2009 at 9:35 pm

It’s Mem’O on a mission again! I’m luving this and loving all the love this track is getting on radio. I can’t get enough of it.

18. Tony Egorp

January 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

I had waited for Mem’O alone for a long time,after listening to her several Colabos which were all off the hinges, its truly the rebirth of Mem’O and I know we aint heard nothing yet!

19. NGX

January 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Emem’s out with a single? Where have I been. It’s hot though. Really!

20. chi chi

January 9, 2009 at 4:06 am

blazing hauteeeeeee

21. Omoboy

January 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Greenlight rocks! Mem’O weldone. Omo you too tight.

22. Ben

January 12, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I’m not one to comment but I have to say something about Mem’O’s greenlight. It is beginning to make sense why KUSH was such a huge success. I think we can now clearly see how the parts made such a beautiful whole. I am totally awed by this song, not just the beats but the lyrics are whoa! I can’t wait to see what she comes with next, but all these (TY’s & Lara’s album, Mem’O’s single and Dapo’s craft on various productions) will do until KUSH comes back again; I’m sure of it. Better and stronger!

23. Yetty

January 12, 2009 at 6:51 pm

All I can say is, Wow!

24. Cally

January 13, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Omo you too gbasky!

25. symon1

January 13, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Ok seriously, why una no blast this one for facebook? This is the news of the year ke?

26. Jenifa

January 18, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I don dey find dis link since as I hear say she don release something. Make I no lie di babe represent no be small. 9ja kan, Mem’O kan!

27. Kamar

January 22, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I can do anything! I can be anybody too! If you wanna know, make you follow me O!

28. Kamar

January 22, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Martin Luther had a dream dream, Obama is king king, ok maybe president. It rhymed sha!

29. Roc1

January 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Better music dey here wetin! This rocks and I had a chance to listen to something she did with Kefee, Blaise, Sasha and Bouquie! These ladies tore it up!

30. LykeMe

January 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Yay, Go girl! I want more! More! MORE!

31. s

January 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Ok, someone called my attention to this site and I must say it is off the chain but more importantly, Mem’O is back and I am luvin it like MacDs.

32. Lake-an

January 25, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Wow! Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack, I’ve been trying to find this story. Was beginning to think it was a rumour. Glad I sound this. Bella, you should be blasting this as the news of the year; it’s about freakin’ time.

33. moh'd

February 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm

hey my favorite radio person where have you been all this while i’ve not been hearing you on the midday, hope all is well?

34. yarinya

July 4, 2009 at 11:01 am

i havent really heard people blasting this song!!!
    we rooting for you mem o!

35. Kabir