As part of the “Recession-Proof Beauty,” we will look at how to make the most of the products we have at home.
I was recently inspired by an article in InStyle Magazine that focused on ways to maximize the uses of your everyday makeup. Often times, when we shop for makeup, we come back with either the wrong foundation or we forget to find the bronzer that works for us. Below are tips from the article that show how we can “create” new makeup products, using the ones we already have at home.
For a Shimmery Lip Color
Break ½ inch piece of pressed powder blush in a small container, and mix it with a (1/4) sized portion of lip balm. Keep mixing with balm until you achieve your ideal texture.
Create a Peach Color Nail Polish
Mix a trendy yellow nail color with that of your favorite red polish, until you get the color you want.
Angry that your Foundation is darker than your face?
Simply lighten your foundation by mixing it with a dash of white sunscreen on the back of your hand, before applying it to your face.
For a Long-Lasting Blush
Grab your favorite longwear lipstick and dab it onto the back of your hand. With a clean finger, take a dot of moisturizer and blend it so that the mixture becomes opaque and then dab on cheeks.
Other tips to ensure that you spend your money wisely during this time of economic inactivity include investing wisely on multipurpose beauty products. These products include:
i. Acting as a Makeup Remover
ii. Protecting against cuts and burns
iii. Moisturizing dry lips and skin
iv. Removing stains from clothing before they set in. (lipstick, mascara, makeup, etc)
v. Preventing nail polish caps from sticking together.
vi. Preventing Leather from cracking
vii. Taming eyebrows and hair (as well as helping in effectively applying eyeshadow)
viii. Preventing hair relaxers and hair coloring from burning skin.
FACE BRUSH: A good face brush should not set you back by much(prices range from $35-$200). Having tried this, this device helps in getting rid of stubborn dirt that does not come out with regular cleansers. Not only will this device last for a long time (operates with 2 AA batteries), but it will save you the money spent on buying exfoliators and facial cleansers. Works perfectly with regular soap as well.
JOJOBA OIL: Jojoba Oil is a perfect product that can be used to take care of both your hair and skin care needs. Jojoba oil is a natural moisturizer and conditioner for the hair because it’s structure is similar to that of the oil that our hair naturally produces. 1jojoba1
a. Other benefits of Jojoba oil include:
i. Penetrates skin and hair follicles rapidly to enhance moisture
ii. Reduces wrinkles and stretch marks
iii. Cleans clogged pores and restores skin’s natural pH balance
iv. Helps lighten skin marks and scars
v. Great to add to shampoos, conditioners and suntan lotions, for extra moisturizing effects.
vi. Useful in treating acne, eczema and other skin disorders
BAKING SODA: Baking Soda is one product that can be used from your body to your bathroom!
a. The many uses of baking soda include:
i. Revitalizing and smoothing skin.
1. This is achieved by cleaning and refreshing rough skin with the help of a Baking Soda invigorating scrub. (Mix 3 parts baking soda with one part water to form a thick paste; using hands, apply in a gentle circular motion).
1. Can be achieved by mixing 2 tbsp of baking soda and 1 tbsp table salt in a tub of bearably hot water. Soak your feet for 15-20 minutes and then gently scrub.
iii. Replace commercial bath salts.
1. Can be achieved by adding ½ cup baking soda to warm bath water.
iv. Face wash
1. Baking soda is great as a face wash, because it gets rid of old make-up quite effectively and sloughs off dead skin cells.
v. Eases Heat rash.
1. After taking a lukewarm bath, pat self dry and apply a paste of baking soda on any area that has rash. Leave the paste on for an hour and then rinse off.
vi. Nail Care
1. To clean your finger and toe nails, apply baking soda to your nail brush and scrub nails.
vii. Teeth Whitening
1. Brush teeth with a pinch of baking soda and table salt. Bakin soda can also help in riding mouth of bad breath, simply by gargling with baking soda in water. Also alleviates mouth sores as well.
Remember you don’t have to spend a lot of money on new beauty products to look great, simply form the habit of maximizing the use of the old products you already have. If you have other tips you would like to share, please email me with Azara@bellanaija.com.