Music

BN Exclusive: D’Banj “signs million dollar international record deal” & is set to play Fela

BellaNaija.com

Bella Naija has just received exclusive news from a reliable source. According to the source, Nigerian musical superstar, D’Banj is in the process of finalizing a major international record contract.
The source is a staff of one of the major international labels, here is his/her account of events:

“It was during a meeting at the record label that I work with (One of the largest international record labels), this particular meeting is a weekly meeting to review new and potential signings. I reviewed the items on the agenda and suddenly I saw the name D’Banj. I was like ah na our boy?! (Didn’t say that out loud though…hehe). The VP leading the meeting led us through how he “discovered” D’Banj at a recent event in LA. From the figures they mentioned, our boy is getting major $$$ for him and million dollar budget for promotion and artist development – the plan is to give him a major international push. Even compared to what they offer ‘urban’ stars, the contract is way above that. Very major! I was proud o”

There you have it! Congrats to D’Banj!
In addition to this good news, D’Banj will be starring in the Broadway musical version of Fela! The Musical. From the available information, the show will be touring around the world soon and D’Banj will play the lead during this tour.
Very exciting.

While we are on the musical, here is the new ad for the show.

1. ginger

April 20, 2010 at 11:52 pm

i dont know about his acting abilities o!!on broadway again!AH!!!

2. Truth

April 21, 2010 at 12:50 am

Good for him! Naija is moving

3. Chicsman

April 21, 2010 at 1:09 am

am sure he’s gonna do just fine..

4. Lala

April 21, 2010 at 3:20 am

Confused!!!! Will wait and find out if this is for real sha…..

5. Funmi

April 21, 2010 at 6:58 am

I’m a D’banj fan any day any time but it would hurt me to see the image of Fela bastardised by horrendous acting… D’banj is my guy o but Broadway??? Well, let’s wait and see sha- at least noone knew Mo’Nique could act like that until she blew us away in Precious… Maybe people we think are only full of jokes have more substance to them. I’m happy for him and all these industry moves sha.

6. Pingback: D’Banj signs million dollar international record deal – [VIDEO] « Jide Ogunleye's Blog

7. afrochic

April 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

Yippee. One of our own has broken the mediocre ranks!!! Fabulously good news!!! the ink hasn’t even dried on the fela broadway deal and critics are already giving his performance knocks. Cut the brother some slack please.

8. Tili

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

Let’s just hope he does not loose his authenticity and become too western/commercial! What make’s him Dbanj is his raw kolleteness rubbish that make his music such a guilty pleasure!

9. ragga

April 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm

But it makes better sense casting him as Fela, than some unknown congolese actor

10. Nneka

April 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Interestig news. DBanj on broadway.lol. Com’on it’s actually funny but I won’t discredit his ‘soon-to-be-discovered’ acting skills. I’ll be on this one for sure. Whatever happens eventually FELA is another broadway show I’m looking forward to attending. Hopefully they make it to my home city.

On another note, there is some clear correlation between Fela and D’banj……

KOKOLETTES!

D’banj’s kokolettes just have more clothes on, are (arguably) more educated and don’t spend all day hanging around the shrine …sorry I mean koko mansion.

11. Omoye

April 21, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Please forget D’Banj playing the role of Fela. Playing the mouth-organ is not thesame as playing the Saxophone. The Fela character “must” know how to play the Saxophone with desterity; or does D’Banj knows how? Maybe.

12. D.O.T.M.H.

April 21, 2010 at 8:59 pm

jay-z, will and jada pinkett smith present Fela!!! Really?? oh wow!

13. Lala

April 21, 2010 at 9:45 pm

he is actually liberian and did a good job… though dbanj is probably closer to being a perfect Fela

14. Ayana

April 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Big things popping Kokomaster…I’m real excited…. positivity

15. Missy1

April 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Yes, naija is surely moving!

16. Diva

April 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Nigerians! we are our worst critcs! haba! cant one be happy for someone! As Wande Coal sang, ‘as God don change my water to wine, you want change am back to water!’ Puhleeze! You can be sure that if D’banj is indeed going on broad way he will be drilled, taught how to eat, sleep, breathe like Fela! I sure he knows the huge shoes he has to be fill but Im sure he’ll do just fine.

17. Omo

April 22, 2010 at 1:50 am

Good Job D’banj 🙂 though I think Dede Mabiaku (sp) would have done a fantastic job then speaking of which Seun Kuti would have killed it so yeah I look forward to seeing Mr D’banj on stage 🙂

18. Ginger

April 22, 2010 at 2:50 am

o wow another “ginger” lol.
    Definitely changing my “comment-name” on it site lol

19. fesh

April 22, 2010 at 6:36 am

i am sure with don jazzy still behind him he’s set to rule the globe…that guy na hitmaker!

20. nietzsche

April 22, 2010 at 8:38 am

The fela character does not actually play the sax. It’s someone in the back up band that plays it. Talking from a reliable source.

21. James the 3rd

April 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

Dbanj will do just fine, and I suspect that it is Arista or J records. Nna men,… na the brother biko. Ko easy…. ra ra ra… 🙂

22. Obi-talk

April 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

All over the world musicians cross over singing and acting. Indian for example. Nigeria is no different, I hope this works out well for him.

23. Deputy ibrahim

April 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

D banj i love keep going forward you are the best and no one wil beat your record and history.i just love you for who you are keep going forward and i shall also go forward too..i love you so much d banj

24. aunty tawa

April 23, 2010 at 11:58 pm

congrats d’banj, i just i hope its not BAD BOY pls. take note from danity kane and other artist

25. emmanuel

April 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

dbanj u are d best,i love u die i no heavens will bark u up

26. chinweoke

April 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I Have seen the Fela show in Broadway on my last trip to the nyc and don t worry, much acting is not required. All that s really reqd is for the Fela to be sexy and have major swag!!! which dbanj s got. I wouldnt worry, so long as he doesnt feel pressured by having mainly whites in the audience. if he stays true to himself, he s gonna KILL IT right! <3

27. mii2

April 26, 2010 at 2:19 am

I have seen the show on Broadway and if he takes the role he has a big role/shoe to fill. Cause the guys who play the role of Fela do a very, very good job.

28. babylawyer

April 27, 2010 at 3:44 am

Dbanj in pant! So we will now be able to confirm if this koko thing is a myth or not! He had better not put any stuffing down there!

I have also seen the Broadway show, it was major! So if this is true then he has a lot of work ahead of him . I just don’t know if he has the discipline Broadway requires. We dey here dey wait am!

29. jarret

May 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm

its gr8 wots goin on with D’banj. Glad for him…

30. harryjblige

May 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’m excited for dbanj man…and we’re 4getting this guy actually has one of the best LIVE performances globally…I think he’ll do a tremendously great job. Big ups!!!

31. Mynatu27

May 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

Dbanj Dbanj, I’m so happy for You o.

32. josh

May 10, 2010 at 6:10 am

i love to hear his voice.
    i hope he’ll go to bali so i can watch his live performance

33. Falabkay

May 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

This is great to see our artist in Legend’s shoe.
    Fela is unforgetable.i hope D’banj will realize this,and work harder.

To get to top is very easy,but to remain on top require all effort.
    I wish him the best of luck.

We go de wait am.

34. joe

July 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm

U GUYS ARE TRAITORS TO NIGERIA AND UR FELLOW CITIZENS..THE LOVE OF MONEY ITS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL SO THEY SAY..BUT LET ME WARN U GUYS..GOD DON’T LIKE UGLY..IF U DARE SUBJECT THE LIVES OF OUR INNOCENT NIGERIAN TALENTS TO UR EVIL WAYS..THEN BE PREPARE FOR A BIG WAR BETWEEN URSELVES AND THE ALMIGHTY GOD..IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO REPENT..SMH

35. Faaji

November 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

U r d bomb man,i beliv u die..carry on joor