News

Isn’t IT Overrated?

While in traffic, I noticed a billboard that featured IT… although it was advertising a snack, there were hints of IT everywhere; As I got home, I saw IT on the television while I ate my dinner; I then flipped through the pages of a couple of magazines just before bedtime, and I saw IT again – IT was all over the place! I got to work the next day and there IT was – my colleagues were joking about IT; I ignored them and instead, I plugged into my iPod and more than half the songs on it were about IT. In my bid to get away from IT, I switched on my computer, eager to make an honest living that day and there IT was again… connotations of IT on the Internet. At this point, I suddenly realised that there is no getting away from IT. Indeed, IT is everywhere! Or haven’t you noticed that sex is all around us? Why is that? Does IT truly control the world or is IT just overrated?

Even as a single woman, I imagine that it is great to go the whole 9 yards with one’s husband / wife – the one you truly love. I also realise that the world will come to a halt if this doesn’t happen – there must be procreation; we need babies! Other than these two instances, I can’t imagine what IT is useful for. Why does everyone give IT so much attention? They say “sex sells”! Why bother to buy IT? Whatever for? IT’s all done in just a couple of minutes anyway (even though a friend told me that he can go for hours), and then what?

There are millions of zillions of other fun things to do in our world today, which have nothing to do with IT. There are many more things that give us joy (at least they give me joy). For instance, great food, travelling the world, shopping, good friends, family, true love, pay day, job satisfaction, Sunday services – the love of God, material possessions, a good bath, a good night sleep, a walk in the park, putting smiles on people’s faces… if we have all of these to occupy us and much more, why then does it appear as if IT is the only object of our focus?

I realise that many single people are sexually active but how then would you explain some others who aren’t; yet, they have great lives. Many of whom are happy and content, and life is beautiful for them even though they are currently without IT. IT really isn’t the “be-all and end-all” as IT is made out to be. It is possible to live a full life without feeling pressured to have IT since there is so much more to do with life. No wonder the nuns and priests are still thriving!

Our world has become so enslaved by IT that I am told to only wear certain clothes so that I don’t “over entice him”, they say that I shouldn’t be alone with him so that I don’t “tempt him too much”. I have been advised to watch what I say so that I don’t “lead him on”. They said that I shouldn’t touch him so that I don’t “start what I cannot finish”. All of this caution… whatever for?

Serial dating and cheating spouses have become the norm and in the desperate search for even more of IT, single women and men, and even married couples are constantly on the prowl. Strangely, many of such consumers of IT aren’t proud patrons since they often deny their actions publicly. Even then, this isn’t good enough reason to deter them. They say that IT’s best when it’s “illegal”… and I say, “that’s a heap load of B.S”!

Have you seen what length men go to make money these days? They say without it, it’ll be hard to “get the girl” which I interpret as – “get the sex”! Many women, in response to men’s overtures, turn themselves upside down and inside out just to meet men half way. Is it really all worth it at the end of the day? All that trouble, just to be “tickled” for a couple of hours?

A close friend once told me that she doesn’t have sex with her husband. Instead, she makes love to him time and again – the details of which isn’t our business! We all know what IT entails – it’s all out in the open for very public consumption but not their “love making” which is special; and sacred.

Another friend, with whom I discussed my view about IT, said that only haters who aren’t “getting any” will concur. Am I getting any? That’s hardly the point here. However, in my response, I educated him about my life as a woman. Women can get IT whenever; and as often as they want IT. So, not “getting any” can only be by choice. Therefore, I am not hating, just stating the obvious.

Would you believe that I just spent the last couple of my very priceless minutes writing this article; time that I could have used to accomplish zillions of other very useful things? This goes to show that sex (otherwise known as IT) is undeniably overrated!

1. DU

June 24, 2010 at 11:58 am

ejire………..well written

2. udy

June 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I swear.. it seems like you took that right out of my mouth.. Great piece BTW
    you couldn’t have said it better.. and YES.. sex is overrated…

3. fokasibe

June 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I concour! IT is overrated!! Well said!

4. mariam

June 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm

totally agree with you on this,people should be made to know that there is more to living than IT,life is beautiful without IT…

5. the truth

June 24, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Your writing shows you are composed, and one of the best finish line i have seen in an article. Kip it up

5 stars

and to the article, hmmm… others can say better

6. Obi-talker

June 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Nice work, very interesting read.

7. brooks

June 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm

nice piece.i also agree sex is overrated.

8. LONSCO

June 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Very nice piece, even though i bet most men would disagree. I believe people who pan about sex and idolize it have voids in their lives that it is supposedly used to fill…..there are truly more fufilling and exhilarating things in life some of which you have mentioned but we must admit that not all are privileged to have them hence their need for other avenues of gratification.
    Keep up the good work Ejire!

9. other1

June 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm

The nuns and priests are thriving because they are doing IT with each other…

10. Blossom

June 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Contrary to what most of you think, I do not believe that sex is overrated.
    I have realised that the driving force behind the desire to have IT has been in existence from times unrecorded. And this ‘force’ has not just the power to break a man, but to break a home… to break a generation… a life… a soul.

You may see it from the context of doing it for the pleasure but, I want to see beyond that. I see the fact that this force has been used as a tool to manipulate the minds of generations and of generations to come. I also understand that this force is the reason for my being. I also, understand that when used for the purpose, it can change the lives of families by reeling in millions in whatever currency is predominant at that point.

My point is this… Sex is not a topic that we should sweep under the carpet under the guise of there being ‘better’ and ‘more fulfilling’ things to do.

All we need to do is understand how it works and make sure it never works to our detriment.

Let’s not sweep it under the carpet and make it seem like it doesn’t matter much… because it does.

11. Molicious

June 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Nice write up, very well written and nice comment blossom, something to think about….

12. ~RedHot~

June 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I was just ranting about this same topic on twitter yesterday. Personally I think the human race is evolving…BACKWARDS! Isn’t there more to think/talk/sing/write about other than sex??? By making IT the center attention and getting IT our top priority, we act like cave people with limited choices of entertainment and not enough things to do. Whatever happened to genuine friendship or dating where people actually got to know each other?? I tire for this generation oh! 🙁

13. just-sucre

June 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

…..thanks for this write up………is there another word l can use for overrated…..IT is so so overrgrated!

14. Style Diva

June 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Blossom, well said !!!!

15. Gam

June 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

If you say its overrated, its also underrated. To be honest, its neither one or the other. The fact is, IT in itself is nothing, its the ‘reasons’ the ‘relevance’ or the ‘power’ we give to it that matters.

16. Kay..

June 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm

My dear..sooooooo overated jare… @ blossom n co, i’m quite sure the writer didn’t imply that sex was a topic to be swept under d carpet, but just d insanity of tying everything n i mean everythin to IT is ridiculous…i mean i got a team of 6 flirting naked men n women advertising walkers potato chips to me…come on…seriously!

Something that has such effect n meaning as u describe should be treated wit mo dignity i suppose, n yeah it is overated as long as its used so stupidly! and i soo agree wit Ejire in saying there r just as much things to occupy our minds with than naked people selling chips for instance!

17. Grace

June 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Abeg o, to me its not overrated….It makes the world go round….

18. THE AMAKA

June 24, 2010 at 7:15 pm

LOVE IT!!!
    I hardly read the write-ups here, but this one glued my eyes to the screen keeping me interested, but not because it was about “It” but because it was sooooooo true!
    i was thinking about this the other week or so. “It” is everywhere!!!

lovely writeup though, loved it.

19. Aibee

June 24, 2010 at 8:15 pm

IT is veeeeeeeeeery important. Without IT, the world will be veeeeeeeeery boring GBA. Y do you think we dress up, make up, sashay, smile, flirt and generally put our best feet forward? So that we can be attractive to the opposite sex, even if we wont give IT to them. We still want them to find us IT’aully attractive.

That said, IT can be great with the right person and IT can be bad with the with the wrong person. So y’all go ahead and do IT with the right person in the right place (no back seats please) and at the right time with the right protection ( no abortions/ abandoned children)

Just do IT.

20. Ille

June 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Preach it sista girl!

21. Tokunbo

June 24, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Nice write up, It is actually overrated. Some people stay off it not by calling but
    self, so there is really no big deal about it.

22. toni

June 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm

those who say sex is overrated just aint doing it right!!!!!!!

23. Numommy

June 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Right person, right place, right time…heard that time and again. Let me just say this , if your gonna do it , make sure u r doing it for the right reasons and will have no regrets. Believe me, sex sells…the idea behind the ads r not for u to go out looking for sex, but to shock u enuff into remembering their products and frankly, it works… Axe deodorant, Walkers potatoe chips …need i say more.

24. TrueTalk

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm

For the first few lines i thot you were referring to Information
    Technology! ha! ha! ha!
    Blossom and Aibee loved your comments! Peeps fail to realize that not
    everyone likes everything to the same degree. For instance, I don’t like
    honey while I’m sure some peeps will swear that only sliced bread
    comes close to it!
    SEX is a powerful driving force and the act itself is definitely not
    overrated o! Men and women have committed heinous crimes at the mere
    appearance of it. Sex is a glorious, wonderful thing. But it also depends on who is selling it and who is doing it!

25. Sensible Girl

June 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Erm so this is kinda a stupid article. What point exactly is the writer trying to make?

26. Toyin

June 25, 2010 at 2:27 am

Your article is on point my sister! Sex is very over rated! It’s ridiculous the distance many people would do for a few minutes of pleasure. Many careers and reputation have been ruined and many marriages have been destroyed all because of sex!

27. olivia

June 25, 2010 at 4:39 am

Sensible Girl is obviously not getting IT…LOL! Love the article though. IT sure does make the world go round and round….

28. chic

June 25, 2010 at 6:57 am

Great Article! Sex is indeed overrated! @Sensible Girl, don’t be stupid! Its really not rocket science! Take a deep breath, get your English dictionary, and read the article again.. I hope it’ll be clearer to you this time.

• allpinkandstuff

June 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

ha ha wow.

29. WaleAdeniji

June 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

@ Blossom: God bless you. There is nothing like over-rated when it comes to IT. It all depends on the angle you’re looking at it. Less awareness has allowed many relationships to collapse and had caused other damages. This is why sex education was introduced in our schools. Why this introduction when IT is less relevant? Please, there is nothing like over-rating when it comes to the issue of it. It was however a nice piece. I like it.

30. Karimah

June 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

lol @ chic. Ejire… it is so overrated… come on, u cld do adverts and all without IT staring in our faces and it would still come out good and attractive….

31. Star

June 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

with the right person (read – in marriage) IT is great; outside of marriage IT is just a cause of insecurity and unecessary holding on to otherwise blah relationships at best, and at worst just casually thrown away or bandied for favours.

Let’s not “just do IT”, let’s be the warm, creative, intellectual, spiritual beings we all are instead of focusing entirely on the physical.

Indeed IT is usually overrated, so preach it girl… Just don’t do IT is my message too

32. Omotee

June 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I love you to bits, please scream it out loud

Man shall not leave by bread alone

I am sick of the madness too

well done

33. pastor B

June 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Praise GOD!its the devil trying to lure all with his seductive spirits.I live in europe and my 12 yr old daughter asked me,mum to be honest,what does it have to do with ice-cream? Believe me,a ice-cream commercial.Please lets pray,pray and pray to totally severe this web of seduction that the devil is using to plaque the world.God bless!

34. besh

June 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm

you re not getting it, if you re getting then you are not getting well…the world is about sex and there is nothing you can do to change it…there is one, become a nun or a monk….

35. Tosin Adewumi

June 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Welldone. I totally agree with u. It’s over-rated alright.
    Our societies need complete rethink.

36. dankeo

June 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm

IT is very overrated oh!!! I believe its just the devil that is working on minds to propagate it nothing else. Lets be real wats in IT, that people would risk everythin(family,jobs,peace of mind etc) for?

37. Sensible Girl

June 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Said it before, I ll say it again…. T-H-I-S I-S A S-T-U-P-I-D A-R-T-I-C-L-E!!!!!
    🙂

38. voltron

June 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Yes, yes, sex is overrated! @ sensible girl, get a life meeen!

39. peezed

June 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Besh, you’re silly.

IT is overrated in relationships like if it is the most important thing. Becoming a nun has nothing to do with appreciating IT for what it should be. Now even early teens are demanding/ bullying for blow jobs. NOW THATS a problem

I like your friend’s point about making love vs. sex.

40. teegal

June 26, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Lovely article, infact it seems like peopla talk more about IT than they actually do IT. @sensible Girl, you certainly don’t sound sensible

41. LeighJoy

June 29, 2010 at 3:13 am

iLiked

42. omotoke

June 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm

hmmmmm, nawa o.i love blossom, toni and aibee’s sincerity about this issue. why do ppl deceive themselves? pls lets not forget that ppl hav different personalities i.e the way i feel abt sex wld be totally different from the way u feel abt it. sex cannot be streamlined to one man’s view.NEVER. just do wateva makes u happy irrespective of wat the society feel abt it. God is ur judge not humans.all im tryna say is-d fact that mr A isnt crazy abt IT dosent mean mr B wont be.

43. Sensible Girl

June 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

@ Chic, Voltron, Teegal. You guys should stop hating.Im allowed to air my opinion even if you guys dont agree with me. You three should go hide yur selves somewhere and have a 3some!!! mscheww.

44. 'Yar

July 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

It is overrated.
    People are just too ‘cool’ to admit it; afraid they would seem uncool.
    Personally, I know I could live the rest of my life without IT and not consider my life any less well-lived. My main fulfillment comes from other, more meaningful, aspects of my life.

45. Cynthia

July 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Great article. IT is way overated! Me sef I tire!

46. jennietobbie

July 6, 2010 at 6:51 am

this is a great article….IT is the bomb…not “that’ IT aite….LOLL…one love pEOple and you could do a lot better and worry a lott less without IT!!!!!!!!

47. Godlovesme4me

July 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm

for a second there I thot “IT” was an acronym that stood for something…and as I read, I thot the exact meaning wld be revealed but ALAS!!

Anyways…I enjoyed reading the article and I guess its overated to those of us that havent experienced it or dont get much of it at all. Those that are married or in a healthy relationship wld not see “IT” as overated but as part of their being together.

Maybe it is overated, maybe its not…Be safe doing “IT” however you do “IT.

48. Kunle

July 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Its a good article, nice to see someone shedding a dull light on the issue of sex,
    but the FACT/TRUTH still stands, “SEX SELLS” and IT is important because
    of the power IT possess. See sex is different from any other thing. It stands
    alone because of the power it has…

49. TEA

July 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Really nice article u’ve got there.
    Educative too.
    I strongly advice u to stay tight,
    if u actually hv’nt don IT’ before.

50. T-glow

August 1, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I’m of the view that it is generally overated! The only people it should be a big deal to are married couples and even then, it should not be a thing to be flaunted in the public eye,it should be a private (and yes-GREAT!!) experience. We are not lower animals and it should show in how we control our urges.

51. ronnke

August 5, 2010 at 8:37 pm

im one of those waiting till im married
    sometimes when others try to dissuade me from holding tight
    i think of how many problems IT has caused and i stay strong
    the devil does work hard to make alot of noise tho

52. Tiki

December 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

Goodness, IT is explosive! as a topic for discussion, I mean. That being said, I beg to disagree with the writer. IT is not overrated at all…on the contrary, what is overrated is the importance IT as an act has in our lives. When the circumstances are right (ie, no cheating, manipulating, or disrespect), sex can be one of the most uplifting experiences ever! however when we see sex in everything we do, THEN we have a problem! the issue is, stop making an issue about IT, and the ratings will go down!Don’t think ‘sex’, think ‘love’. Don’t think ‘IT’, think ‘celebrating our exclusivity’…and don’t count the days according to the last ‘IT’ experience! that should help for a start…

53. Woman

September 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I think what Ejire is trying to say is how “commercial” IT is these days. Its not about whether u enjoy IT or not, it was made for enjoyment. That said must IT be made soooo public, commercials, our sense of style etc. IT should be more sacred and definitely enjoyed. If IT weren’t so commercial sex education would not be necessary

54. Alanine

April 25, 2013 at 7:20 pm

“some say that sex is over rated cos they ain’t doing it right” Ludacris – unpredictable.