Music

Recession? I think NOT!

We humans have this bad habit where we blame other people/things for our mistakes/errors/shortcomings. Recession has taken the blame for a lot of these shortcomings. I’m sure the poor word is tired. Breathe, this is not a piece about the results of recession.

Is there recession in our entertainment industry? I need an honest answer to this question. I can’t seem to place my hand on the reason artists don’t hire writers. I know we don’t like sharing money but I believe it’s time we start. The lyrical content in most of the songs released nowadays holds no water if I must say so myself.

We have people that can actually sing, wasting good beats on lyrics that would be ashamed if they could read themselves.

I mean people come out and say things like “Let’s go my princess/ light no dey, I go light incense“, “…You stay on my mind like lice“, “…Even if you have testes, I’m a pr*ck“, “…I’ll sniper them like Wesley“, “…You can’t stop me now I’m fullstop“.

These are just the few I could lay my hands on. Trust me, the real tsunamis are out there. Like my friend would say or rather type, //O_O\\.

I hear artists say things like “I’m not lyrical. I like my beat to make sense“. Really?! The industry you’ve decided to belong to, requires you care about what you say. At least, we your fans would love to have a “club song” that actually makes sense. One we don’t feel silly singing while we do chores or just relax.

We demand a punch line that can coax the grumpiest fellow into grinning. Yes we all have those off days when we run out of what to write. I believe many people refer to this as writer’s block. I’m talking about the artists that actually do come up with beautiful content on their good days.

To those that just scream arrant nonsense, please I beg of thee, singing is not by force. Ejo o. To those that actually know what they are doing, I believe a writer would be a valuable addition to your team. Someone whose sole purpose is to provide content for you to choose from instead of just settling for whatever you’ve managed to put down.

That being said, shout out to all the African artists out there making GOOD music. The kind you can come back from work, kick off your shoes, pour yourself a drink and just listen to. Thank you. As for those that want to give me a migraine, *now muttering Yoruba expletives*.

1. brooks

June 30, 2010 at 11:40 am

i agree the lyrics of most of our artistes nedd to b checked buh sm lines u made ref to was sd by MI and it made sense cuz of d point he was tryin 2 make.dere r worse lines.dnt test MI OOOOOOOOOOOO.lmao

2. seun

June 30, 2010 at 11:47 am

tell that to dbanj….

3. Najificent

June 30, 2010 at 11:58 am

OMG…finally…someone is saying what i’ve been thinking. Please singers and “actual artists” now its your time to shine…..

4. Bubbly Bliss

June 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Tell this to Mo’Hits! It’s all humour but when you sing along with them you kinda feel silly.

5. Ms. Jayee

June 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

LMAO!!! someone gats to tell them! “you can’t stop me now, i’m fullstop”.. ROTFL

6. THE AMAKA

June 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

LOL! so true.

7. Destiny

June 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Okay… I’m confused.. How does your post have ANYTHING to do with the recession? I’m sorry but i didn’t see the the connection.. Anyway, I do think you make a valid point.. Nigerian musicians need to step their lyrical content ‘game’ up.. Because it totally sucks.. How do they expect to compete with the Kid Cudi’s. Lil Wayne’s and Jay-Z’s of the world when they are writing songs that artistes like Soulja Boy and Wacka Flocka Flame would reject? *side eye*

8. anon

June 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

LOLLLL @ “…You can’t stop me now I’m fullstop.” SHEEEEET! There’s too much DIY in Lagos jare. It’s going to take a while for folks to accept that you shouldn’t be your own publicist, stylist and manager. Create job opportunities and stop the madness!

9. Molicious

June 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Lmao @Seun’s comment, I was sooo thinking of D’banjs’ stupid Mr. endowed, no offense if you like the song but really???? Nice write up Nono

10. miss b

June 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm

people should chill abeg, Naija music has never paticularly made sense, if u want deep lyrics then listen to Gospel music or Fela. It you just want to dance and take your mind off the stresses of the world then lyrics like “suck belle, make the shirt fine” will do just fine!!!!

11. Tomiwa

June 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Lol Ginger ur swagga and swagga ur ginger…lol please what song is the full stop one?? @Destiny, try reading the first line of the second paragraph.

12. seun

June 30, 2010 at 5:01 pm

“will you be my screensaver”? stupid but i love it. lolz

• Doctor

October 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

@seun Ive been searching for ages ,what is the name of this song??

13. mariaah

June 30, 2010 at 10:28 pm

wahaha lol…these article makes sense, all those songs wit jaku jaku lyrics must stop!!!
    @ destiny, i think this article with regards to recession has to do with the fact that artists re not acquiring the services of song writers, managers and then blame it on the RECESSION..do u gerrit now..

14. CEO

July 1, 2010 at 12:31 am

LMAO…infact this writer God bless u. its about time the artists realise we the fans want something that makes so much sense that we dont actually feel stupid singing to. i mean, no offense to “booty call”, .lol..thats why till today 2face is always the bestest among them. he makes sense whenever he opens his mouth. i wish the pple in the music industry can actually pick a leaf from him., especially mohitty crew…lol..

15. Peperempe

July 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

2face???? ‘Enter the place ‘ anyone? That made sense? let’s not even start with the more recent recent ‘implication, o le le o de gbagadun ulele’!

16. TrueTalk

July 1, 2010 at 11:57 am

And Sound Sultan is King!

17. Ib

July 1, 2010 at 8:56 pm

@ suck belle make ur shirt fine….that is sooo funny…i didnt even know that that was what was said…what song is that anyway…such info just skips ur mind when you’re a bit older.

18. mariaah

July 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm

heeheee had to come bk..heard one today, she b “tear rubber” bby..

19. bcgeorge

July 6, 2010 at 11:32 am

d gist is dis for those who dnt knw…music is a composition of 3 keyelements; beat,rhythm and lyrics…some producers make grt beats and ask artiste to sing on dem while in some cases an artiste approach a producer with his lyrics and demand a beat………so the fault is actualy with both of dem but lookin @ d issue frm naija point of view,most of these guys r jst wanabes..lookin to mak cool cash witout ant intellectual know-how of wot music entails and u cnt blame dem….if D’banj(lazy&over rated artist) is smilin to d bank wit endorsement and shows here and thr while peeps like GT Guitarman,Sound sultan and othrs i cnt remeba knw(guys makin positive music wt fantastic lyrics) are not evn recognised by Corporate bodies and show promoters…but man must wack……
    NB:(Even if you have testes, I’m a pr*ck“, “…I’ll sniper them like Wesley) MI ws jst freestylin replyin to a diss frm Kellyhansome on dat line..he’s deeper dan dat