News

From Chocolate to Kettlebells

I have had good intentions about exercising regularly and not gone through with it…
Had issues with my weight…
And I have had trouble starting and sticking with living a healthier lifestyle.

One thing I am 100% sure of is – I have never been alone.

In 2002, I was in my 2nd year of University, surrounded by people who loved me – my Mummy, my family and my friends. I was happy…

Only problem was I was overweight. I didn’t get to that point overnight, fast food restaurants had a lot to do with it. As did pastries, biscuits and chocolate.

Mmmmm….. chocolate covered biscuits….

Sorry, I got a little distracted there 😉
I knew I was overweight and that I had to do something about it like – lose some weight.

• I remember going for a few step classes which were run at my University – were they hard work or what?!?!? I struggled through the classes and always had a sense of achievement when they were over. A big dinner afterwards was well deserved, right? I thought it was.
    On the days I missed the classes because of another commitment, I tried going to the campus gym – A few minutes on the treadmill to warm up, 5 minutes on the stepper, by which time I was sweating profusely and had burned a few calories. A few bicep curls and … I went home.
  • I also recall trying to go on a diet a few times. I didn’t eat breakfast, had some fruit to tide me over till lunch and then I had a big lunch (I was hungry! Don’t blame me!)

These attempts always ended the same way – I discarded them after a few days and got on with my life.

Being overweight wasn’t so bad all the time. It felt good when my friend Jenny*, who didn’t know me when I’d been slim a couple of years before, always said, “I can’t imagine you slim Adura, you’re meant to be big. If you lose weight, your head will look huge”. Please DO NOT say that to someone who needs to lose weight just to make them feel better. That will be their excuse not to bother – as was mine.

I eventually made the firm decision to grab my weight issue by the horns. This was mainly because of the much needed assistance provided by Weight Watchers – weekly weigh ins, weekly leaflets on meal suggestions and meeting people who had similar goals to mine. But I’ll admit that my determination to succeed played a huge part too (read more on my story HERE) and I’m pleased to say I successfully lost weight.

Now…
I am more educated on healthy eating and exercise through qualifications but most importantly from experience. I’ve come to learn that it is important to exercise often but it is MORE important to eat healthy in order to lose weight, stay in shape and be healthier.

Yes, I have successfully lost weight but I have had struggles keeping it off. It’s been a learning experience but I think I’m on the right path toward understanding the right balance between exercise and healthy eating. My aim is to share my experiences with you and also answer questions you may have, to the best of my knowledge.

Try these small but significant steps towards living a healthier lifestyle:
Cut down on oil: My favourite example – ‘dodo’ (fried plantain) should sometimes be replaced by ‘boli’ (roasted plantain) or boiled plantain.
Always eat breakfast: This is the most important meal as it sets you up for the day. I don’t mean noodles and eggs (someone told me she had that for breakfast!) or fried yam(!)
Try a bowl of cereal or even better, oats.
Snack often: This is one valuable piece of knowledge I learned while on Weight Watchers and still stick to. Snack on fruits, nuts, etc.

A little goes a long way… 🙂

Photo Credit: EEtomi Photography
Adura is a Fitness/Kettlebell Instructor and Trainer, she currently works with Fitter London.
Her website/blog: www.adura-odesanya.co.uk. Follow her on Twitter (@adura_odesanya) for daily tips on healthy eating, fitness and her other love – haircare.

Adura Odesanya is a Fitness Instructor and Trainer.Having been overweight in the past, she recognise the challenges that many people face in trying to overcome weight loss and fitness challenges.She will share some of my experiences that have helped her achieve and maintain a significantly healthier lifestyle.Her goal is to help people reach their health and fitness goals, with an approach to making lifestyle changes.

1. Rosie

September 30, 2010 at 7:15 am

1st to comment….

• Alero

September 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm

so???

• Joohls

October 7, 2010 at 7:59 pm

come and collect a presidential handshake 🙂

• lola

October 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

lol

2. EUCK

September 30, 2010 at 7:37 am

KBs Rock! I use them (and sometimes clubbells) with my clients here in Naija and they love it! I have a level 1 certification. Hoping to start teaching group classes soon! KBs for life!!!!!!!!! Rock on sis!

• Ify O

October 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Really? Tell me more about how to become a client or better still join the group classes. I often feel more inspired that way. Been indisciplined about my weight loss,.

3. fi

September 30, 2010 at 9:19 am

shes awesome , she has so much energy, had the opportunity to be in class with her at a Fitness First in central London…fitness junkies rock!!

4. fokasibe

September 30, 2010 at 9:25 am

Well done Adure….Wow, you look so toned!!

5. Vickii

September 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

You look incredible Adura! And what I find most inspirational about you (apart from you incredible fitness and discipline) is that you’re a normal girl like me who likes her food, has struggled with her weight in the past and found the balance that enables you to look like this!! Looking forward to more of your articles on here!

6. Kofo

September 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

I am so proud of you and at your determination to keep fit. You have made sure the weight stayed off and you have changed your eating habits. I hope one day, I will stop being lazy and start exercising. You look great! One day, very soon, I’ll come to one of your classes 🙂 Good job girl!

7. Uzo

September 30, 2010 at 11:08 am

Fab, fab, fab. Well done Adura

8. Teefah

September 30, 2010 at 11:36 am

Gosh this just reminds me that i need to get my ass to the gym! Lord help me

9. preceela

September 30, 2010 at 1:43 pm

God please, let this be me next. lol. truely inspirational.

10. Jade82

September 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for sharing Adura….am fighting to maintain a certain weight and eat healthy.
    Thanks because this will encourage me to continue to work harder and it will definitely pay off….
    ur blessed thanks again!

11. Ola_sis

September 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Great Job Adura you look wonderful and have inspired not just me but all my freinds too. i cant wait to read your next article.

12. Enkay

September 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Wow, I love your before and after Adura. I want to add to your “Cut down on oil” point: My sister never fries plaintain cos she’s married to a health/fitness junkie. She BAKES it with wayyyy LESS oil. First allow the plaintain to get overripe. Spread parchment paper over a baking pan and lightly brush 1/3 teaspoon of olive oil over the paper so the plaintain does not stick to the paper. Slice your plaintain and bake at 300 degrees for roughly 40 minutes. Midway through the 40 mins, check the plaintain and flip it over to the other side once one side is as brown as you want it.
    No salt needed -one of our ‘dodo’ related offenses 🙂
    The recipe takes a little getting used to but if health is a priority then it’s worth the shot.
    Also remember, an inti winti bit of olive oil is good for you and actually has great digestive benefits.

• Reallaw

September 30, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for the Baked dodo recipe! Very doable.

• Adura

October 1, 2010 at 8:38 am

I agree with this. My friend showed me how to do this years ago and I haven’t tried it in a while. Thanks for the reminder 🙂

13. mola

October 1, 2010 at 5:19 am

Adura! Wow! Good to see you on here…. Proud of you on the discipline… Good luck!

14. Adura

October 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Thanks so much everyone 🙂

I know I say it over and over again but – If I did it, you can!

15. Nimz

October 2, 2010 at 10:54 am

Wohoooooo, thats my Dureeeeee 🙂

16. Chi

October 7, 2010 at 4:43 am

You look great. I just had my 2nd child and battling to lose the weight. Will definitely check out ur blog to get tips. All the best…

17. MONICA DAVIES

October 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm

i lov ur new looks Adura….i wish i can get more tips in lossing weight as i am also oversized. am not from Naija and might not know de recipes u are talkin abt but plz do send me an email and give me an alternative….tanx

• Adura

October 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Hi Monica,
      Thank you 🙂 My email address is: adura.odesanya @ yahoo.co.uk

18. Pinky

October 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I can so relate to this post! I’m a British size 16 and people who don’t know i actually went up from size 10/12 say; “Trust me, there is no way being slim would ever suit you, you look fab just the way you are” until they see pictures of me from 2 years ago and they turn and ask “WTF have you been eating???”. Lol.
    Its easy to convince yourself you”re not overweight when the people about you try to be kind but all this does is make you even more comfortable and there’s every chance your weight will just keep going up.
    I’ve visited your blog and I’m going to try to effect some of the changes you mentioned and throw in a bit of exercise. Hopefully I’ll start seeing results in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

19. Chamina

October 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Good day Adura 🙂  i am a nigerian currently living in the Ok well I read your weight loss blog and I have to say I am really impressed with the determination you had that has led you to such great accomplishment. We all know that weight is every woman’s number one wahala…just like mine. Well I wouldn’t call myself exactly fat but in my dad’s side..the chicks have that “big thing” going on, especially on the thigh part. Meaning the waist is somehow not a problem but we are left with the big thighs (nothing like beyonce’s). I was just wondering if you have any tips on how to make it ton down because for me, it is very difficult finding pants my size in this country. Like i seriously have to find pants that are about size 35 In the waist line just because the thigh part of the jeans would fit my thighs even if my waist line isn’t up to 35.. I would reallllllllly want to know a way so i can start working on getting it like yours 🙂 Kai esp with the way gals are here….very petite!!!!! Uuh. Well i do hope to get a response from you before I start consuming another plate of rice (thats their stable food here) literally during every meal. =(……thank you

Ooooh and if you know something for tonning the tummy too, that would be awesome. Foooood tips anything ! The last time I starved myself for months, guess what… All the ass, chest, everything just disappeared lol see what nature is doing to us

20. tabitha ajikeola

October 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

ADURA, nice one but to b honest l love u more while u ar fat dan slim but all the same the tips u gave ar gud one but abiding wit it is the major problem, l love to come down a bit so l may follow ur steps, nice day and pls dnt go slimer pls.

21. Adam Smith

October 14, 2010 at 8:11 pm

So chocolate kettle bells are out of the question?

22. CD Kerry

October 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm

NOBODY looks good fat tabitha so pls> Adura looks better healthy and thats the truth! If your waist is more than half your height, you are overweight and unhealthy. If people say you have a pretty face…kai dear you are FAT! lol

23. ade

October 26, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hi girl, u look so good. what can i do to get a flat and firm tummy?

24. ujunwa ifeanyi

January 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hi adura I jt had my baby 4mont ago I need 2 lose fat, mostly in my upper arms myhips ad mylaps tanx a lot kindly reply me

25. Pingback: Introductory Nutrition & Fitness Session with Adura Adesanya – 30th April 2011 | Bella Naija