News

“Light, Colour & Texture” – Jewel by Lisa re-imagines print for Spring/Summer 2011 “Global Minimalism” collection

BellaNaija.com

Nigeria’s Jewel by Lisa has its sights set for global domination or shall we say “covetedness” in JBL speak. The label has worked hard over the last few years to define their brand as a refreshingly youthful African label and this is most evident as we view their new collection.

For this collection, Jewel by Lisa set out to re-imagine print. As a brand with a heritage deeply embedded in Ankara, we see from this new collection that JBL set out to “make things new” without completely abandoning their history.

We see bright custom made prints in zesty hues such as Persimmon Orange and Mazarine Blue cut into shapes such as the 50s to 60s era influenced cocoon dress, the minimalist maxi, the classic babydoll dress, the ruched mini and the fluid modern draped dress. Beyond the dresses, we see city shorts, pleated mini skirts and a JBL staple – the embellished jacket. The new fabrics bring a refreshing fluidity to these pieces and the geometric prints add that element of modern chic.

This is a bold and confident collection from a label that is not afraid of change. We anticipate a strong demand for this collection in Africa and beyond. There is something innately special about this collection…it’s like “Hello World, JBL has landed

The Jewel by Lisa Spring/Summer 2011 Collection Lookbook was shot in New York and pieces are now available via the Jewel by Lisa Store – Studio 11 in Lagos; Soon to be available at Zainab in LA & myasho.com

1. Cho24

December 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Simple wears, nice

2. Kilonsparkles

December 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Absolutely love it!

3. Oto

December 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Beautiful!!

4. beezy

December 3, 2010 at 7:46 pm

not half bad….. my only critic is that the model wore the same shoes with all the clothes..
    they could have played with the shoes to keep things more intresting….
    Still… very nice, wearable pieces….

• moi

December 5, 2010 at 2:39 am

that the newest trend in fashion photograph; the model wear the same shoe and if it is a guy, the same trouser, jeans and belt….Kinda like u can wear it anyhow statement…so it is not like you have to wear a particular shoe with a particular dress or vice versa and it works quite well

5. D.O.T.M.H

December 3, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I lurv them and it helps that one pair of shoes can go with all the outfits so when I buy the whole collection, I dnt have to worry abt shoes 🙂

• MizzMyerz

December 4, 2010 at 7:35 am

OMG! i was thinking EXACTLY da saaame thing lol

6. littlemissnyc

December 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm

wowweeee! how chic! i need to know where lisa gets her fabric from cause those prints are AMAZING!! kudos to the person behind these textiles!!!

• I like i like

December 6, 2010 at 3:04 am

i saw these pictures in another blog and it said the textile designs was done by a Nigerian luxury textile designer Banke kuku who has worked with Duro Olowu and Burberry as well. i was so impressed. 9jas are doing big things everywhere….

7. lola

December 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I must agree the prints are simply divine its what makes the collection!!! separates her from the goofy from the ankara crowd and yet we still get e ethnic feel. Unique, vibrant and classy!!!!! Well done!!

8. allen

December 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm

very wearable. great collection.

9. Miss ATL

December 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I like most of it.

10. neon

December 3, 2010 at 9:24 pm

very nice!! only wish the prices were ‘nice’ too

11. Yuds

December 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm

LOVES!

12. juls

December 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm

beautiful designs and concept. simple yet classy.. thumbs up JBL

13. elmo

December 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Nice. A little more understated than their usual but v.nice nonetheless.

14. NastyNas

December 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I can marry all these clothes! Heaven!

15. seni

December 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm

not blown away, infact only like one or two

• Ngozi

December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Abi o!

16. Oladips

December 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm

a win with a beautiful display

17. kiki

December 4, 2010 at 12:57 am

I love how the model is “selling” the hell out of every outfit….(Antm watchers will understand) love it!! I see 2 pieces I’m interested in, where are they located?

18. caramel

December 4, 2010 at 1:56 am

I love this collection…very wearable pieces….

19. Nma

December 4, 2010 at 3:09 am

OMG!!! Lisa always blows my mind. Lovely collection.

20. NNENNE

December 4, 2010 at 5:30 am

Comtemporary with an African accent… That’s what am talking about! Don’t understand why Nollywood could not wear outfits like these ones during last month’s movie premiere in London.Even when Genevieve went on CNN,she could have worn labels like Tiffany Amber,Jewel by Lisa, House of Nkwocha e.t.c. Infact these Designers if possible could have dressed her for free because it is a huge and easy way to advertise. In the future , I hope our Designers will seize opprtunities like that to showcase themselves, be it in Africa or anywhere else in the world. BN on Oprah and Wole Soyinka ,on receiving the Noble Laureate are shinning examples. Naija for life!

• chilly

December 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

I agree that more actresses…especially those who seem to be going international like Genevieve should wear more Nigerian designers. But then again the designers need to offer the cloths to them and not wait to be asked. That’s how it’s done in Hollywood with the help of stylists.
      I personally love the softness in jbl’s clothes and no other pulls off soft looks like Gene.

21. Kies

December 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

Love the colours and designs,if well marketed these designs will makes billions of pounds all over the world,they are truly unique.

22. bayo

December 4, 2010 at 11:26 am

I can see zara in erythn lol. Luvly collection

23. Oma

December 4, 2010 at 3:06 pm

simple and lovely.
    Sometimes less is more.

24. BC

December 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I can wear them all. Loves it! Simple yet elegant.

25. asa

December 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Just good not great, jewel by lisa can do so much more.

26. mariaah

December 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Simplicity and minimalism at its very best!! Wearing this clothes with or without accessories can MAKE THE SIDE WALK YOUR RUNWAY!! Want them all but I can’t afford but God dey.. 🙂

• mariaah

December 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm

She wore dress 10 from bottom recently…

27. Maima

December 4, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Don’t get me wrong,I looove JBL designs…I get that this collection captures minimalism,and it does that well..but honestly,it doesn’t make me squeal with joy..some pieces are good,but the collection as a whole doesn’t have that extra ooomph..

28. DunDunKeh

December 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Extremely “haute”, I likey! How much do Lisa’s pieces tend to retail for? Does anybody know if they are they available in the UK?

29. sexy fashionista

December 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm

at first i thought they were jewellry and then designs are not wow or unique they are just wearable

30. ruby

December 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm

love them all

31. mzdiva

December 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I totally agree with NNENNE, nollywood stars should wear more designer labels in their movies. Not the nonsence they wear sometimes. i.e. chest exposing tops.

32. mary007

December 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

In as much as love JBL dresses I only wish she would have a signature to her designs, you can easilt tell an outfit by Tiffany Amber, it always has this flow to it.

33. Lady E

December 4, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I must say i have never really been a fan of Jewel by Lisa but this is really lovely, wearable and chic! I do agree Nigerian Actresses and Personalities should wear more home grown Designers they are obviously Talented!!!

34. lola

December 5, 2010 at 12:08 am

She has found herself with this collection. Her signature is; ethic with class. I am totally sold by this collection. The colours, the clean cuts which are upheld by those amazing exotic fabrics… ah ah it just makes sense. I have never seen and African designer say ‘ethinic’ with such class.

35. wealthyone

December 5, 2010 at 1:04 am

okay JBL, she is a fantastic designer, no doubt, i love her personality from a distance, these designs are simple and classy, my point is, women in general, we should focus on building an image from inside out, work on our self esteem level, we should not only depend on mkaeup, human hair or any material thing to build us up, they say good character is golden, our attitude is more important, than the masters in the uk and the class thing. why because is obvious, the model was wearing her personality, not the clothes, clothes don’t wear us, we wear clothes, a good virtue is priceless. just a word.

36. WaleAdeniji

December 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Simple and beautiful. I love them all.

37. WaleAdeniji

December 5, 2010 at 2:14 pm

One more thing. How affordable are these dresses? Can an average Nigerian afford to buy any of it? They should endeavor to make things that our people could afford. By so doing, crave for imported clothings will deminish. A good example is the entertainment industry. Most Nigerians prefer Nigerian musics to foreign ones nowadays

• chi

December 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

Wale, nothing stops us from embracing both, wouldnt it just be so boring if we didint have choices? Kudos Lisa, the pieces are fantastic

38. FL1 TZ

December 6, 2010 at 6:57 am

lovely lovely lovely

39. mbabazi

December 6, 2010 at 8:40 am

I LIKE THE SHORTS AND THE TUTU SKIRT AND JACKET COMBINATION. HER LITTLE DRESSES ARE SO GOOD. WILL BE GOING TO THE GYM TO WEAR THEM THO.

40. adelegirl

December 6, 2010 at 9:57 am

the collection is okay i guess from the minimalist point of view but I’m a bit underwhelmed as the designs look almost high street. Like something mango, h&m or even newlook would do. . There should be a way to do minimal with prints and still have that extra oomph. Or maybe it’s the thought of the prices that is underwhelming me.

41. bigfoot of micworx

December 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm

These are absolutely beautiful. Great work. Now…quotations please

42. DIVA

December 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm

a bit different from what she normally does but the pieces are lovely and very wearable….awesome creativity on display!!! weldone!!

43. powerful charisma

December 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

only like the last photo ..

44. Seiko aka: "Mo sparkles"

December 6, 2010 at 11:10 pm

They seem very nice and spontaneous. i see vivienne westwood liking few of this pieces. the fourth outfit.. Nah!

45. Ncyluv

December 7, 2010 at 8:28 am

I love it!!!!!!!!

46. Ewa

December 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

fantastic collection, this can be stocked in top retailers around the world

47. diva whisperer

December 7, 2010 at 11:35 pm

love lisa’s pieces. tho i think the collection cld hav bn designed wth somw effort. seen all ds BEFORE!

48. Sammy

December 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Lovely…….But it hink the styles are basic….The materials are the only things that stand out..They are gorge and very attractive.

49. Sara

December 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I must say the designs are very basic and all high street fashion. And I just looked up at some of her prices these clothes made from mostly Ankara Fabrics are going for 425 pounds. Africa designers or retailers need to cut their coat according to their size. How do you expect an average Nigerian to afford some of this, well she is simply saying I already have my market only the rich if not I see no reason why this basic designs shld be anything above 20 pounds. Great business people seek the masses first and that means great quality @ affordable prices, not a rip off!!!!

50. valentine

December 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

its free spirited,very young n hip…well tailored n neatly put together

51. bee

January 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The styles may be minimal but there is no minimalism about the fabric. It reeks of QUALITY!