News

Designer Phyllis Taylor of Ghanaian fashion brand Sika featured on Italian Vogue’s “Vogue Black”

BellaNaija.com

London-based Ghanaian designer, Phyllis Taylor, Creative of clothing line, Sika is featured on Italian Vogue’s “Vogue Black” website today.

In her interview with Kenya Hunt, Phyllis chats about sourcing and producing Sika garments in Ghana, she also talks about the tradition behind the fabric – such as the “respect” for fabric in Ghana and the initial resistance she faced because she went against the grain – “We respect the fabric and wear it to places that are important. There’s one style of fabric that the Ghanaian ladies would wear to church. And then another would be for weddings or funerals.”

Phyllis honed her fashion skills at the London College of Fashion and is currently based in London – her label, Sika recently expanded to include accessories, cushions and children’s clothing. She hopes to see the African fashion industry flourish in the future – “Ghana doesn’t have the same history of dressmaking that Italy or India does but they’re now learning new techniques and beginning to see that manufacturing traffic could be diverted to Africa. I don’t know if we’re ready for that just yet. But it’s certainly possible.”

Click here to head over to Vogue Black to read the complete interview.

In case you missed it, Noella Coursaris rocked Sika for her cover feature in New African Woman magazine, view the photos HERE.

Check out the most recent Sika collection below:

Sika Online Store

1. Yetunde

January 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Absolutely CHIC. I love it.

2. BC

January 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Whoa!! Lovely designs. Elegant yet simple. I can wear these!

3. YAYA

January 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm

brilliant

4. Demilade

January 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

really great pieces. I LOVE.

5. The real miss pinky..

January 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I really love these… I want the silver dress badly…

6. ladybird

January 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Beautiful

7. nonny

January 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

love it all

8. Ronnie's Jeans

January 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I am wowed!!Love “Sika”

9. Damsel

January 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Gorgeous! All these ‘so-called’ Nigerian designers need to take note!

• Meme

January 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You should not generalize! We also have good designers. Just because of Judas that does not mean we should not choose the remaining disciples. I have seen a plethora of good designs of Nigerian designers too. Of course, there are pretenders but there are talents too. If you do not acknowledge a fellow countryman’s talents NOBODY will acknowledge yours. JUST REMEMBER THAT.

• Tunde Akanbe

January 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Instead of being insulting, defensive and rude the question to the topic of this thread is – do you like or dont like the Sika Collection – answer the question and stop blabbing nonsensical stuff that our not facts – you must have graduated school from quoting wikipedia in all your assignments. Something is printed on website so its fact. How did we even get the word fascism inyour sentence – are you ok??? It is not that serios lil girl.

10. steezy

January 20, 2011 at 2:01 pm

cool. how do i place an order?

11. ty mosh

January 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Clean lines, simple understated elegance. What else can I say? All the pieces are totally wearable!

12. kiki

January 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Any idea where to buy the pieces Bella?

• Lady Jaye

January 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm

on her website. the prices are not too terrible either. as soon as i can scrap some pounds together, i am buying me one of her designs!!!

13. storm

January 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

iLove,love,love

14. Teefah

January 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Now this is a fabulous & wearable collection. iLove!

15. Queen Erics

January 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I am loving all the pieces… loving it, the huge rose and all!

16. foolish talk

January 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Finally!!! A designer who isn’t named “HOUSE OF WHATEVER” I LOVE HER STUFF!!!

17. Miss ATL

January 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Totally wearable! Me likey 🙂

18. kiki

January 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Oh seen… u can order online http://www.sikadesigns.co.uk Not cheap though but i guess for this class its may just be worth it 🙂

19. Gini

January 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I love everything in this collection, where can one buy her clothes from?

20. Ogini

January 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Yep – thats true – ghanaians,ivorians the true pioneers of african fabric which some now calling “ankara” or whatever the hell its called – how that silly name came about i dont know cos no one calls it that in Ghana nor Ivory coast.- The truth is the truth.

• Meme

January 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm

get your facts right and stop hating on Nigeria.If all your are going to do is hate just go to Ghanian or Ivory Coast website then. These people always so jealous… Anyway nothing new or unique here. Go to Tisbees and other boutique (and fashion shows) in Naija. A lot of serious Nigerians designers have been doing this kind of designs for years now.

• Assana

January 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm

growing up in Gambia I do remember the countries most synonmous with this dutch prints worn in different styles were Ghanaians (worn to this day called “Kaba & Slit) and Ivorians and also Togolese too- so all this defensive and angriness coming out of you is unnecessary – Can we be civil and just talk. Bella maybe on this board you need to do a research on this african print – the history behind how the dutch even started it and who the true pioneers of wearing or advocating it were before the 90s when everybody else starting FORCEFULLY claiming it to be theirs. I have read many nigerian designer interveiws and they always claim “ankara” to be thiers when its NOT TRUE – growing up all i remember to my nigerian friends whre the Ashoke. I honestly get tired of this debate and i wish its settled and the truth be told as is.

• Lady Jaye

January 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm

actually Ankara is a bastadization of Accra. About 20-40 years ago, a lot of African print fabrics (like woodin and some other ones) seem to not have been too readily available in Nigeria. So cloth dealers went to Accra, Ghana to buy the fabrics – so the cloths that were being sold on thee market were brought from Accra. I gues with the accent and everything, the pronunciation of Accra was bastardized to “Ankara” and it’s stuck till this day, even though Nigerian dealers don’t get most of their fabrics from Accra anymore.. There you have it. I learned this over Christmas, lol – the things you learn by hanging with old people.

• Meme

January 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Lol. Lady Jaye you couldn’t be more WRONG. People tell a lot of tall tales, here are the facts. Ankara itself has its roots in Dutch wax-print fabrics. YES DUTCH NOT GHANA OR IVORY COAST. Let go of that fantasy. The Turks made a cheaper version of it. Which we now call ankara. Don’t believe me? here follow these links

AND

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-06-20-identity-complexity .

Like the Italians adopted pizza from the Chinese, Nigerian artisans and other WEST AFRICANS adopted this fabric of the DUTCH AND TURKS. Hence the different names for the fabric. Simple as that. Can not corrupt facts with fascist sentiments.

• Meme

January 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Actually Ankara is the capital of Turkey AND THE ORIGIN OF THE CHEAP ANKARA. This cheap ankara a derivative of DUTCH Wax based Fabric. It is called ankara because the popular cheap ankara sold in Nigeria originated of Ankara city of Turkey. Simple as that. Nothing to do with any African country

• Ready

January 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Well, thanks for schooling them. And me…Checked out the sites too. Thanks chica!

• Lady Jaye

January 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Meme –
      there is no need to be rude and snarky with your comments. I NEVER SAID anywhere that ACCRA was the origin of the fabrics.Obviously that’s not true. I SAID they were not READILY avialable in Nigeria, and so dealers went to Accra to buy them in bulk, hence the bastardization of the name. And ACTUALLY, if you want to go back in history – “African prints” are actually copycats of THAI and SOuth (? SOuth-East? East?) Asian prints. Africans liked the patterns on Thai fabrics and stuff and started making Africanized copies. When the Dutch came to trade, they saw an opportunity and then started making Dutch wax to sell to WesAfricans. Get YOUR facts straight before you go all rude on other people. and of course Ankara is the capital of Turkey. We know that!

21. Aisha

January 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I love sika…………..in a lighter note why is the model always inclined to the right???? Center of gravity moved???LOL!

22. Ogini

January 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Her model is wearing the dress – she is very pretty. At least am not seeing any giraffe looking ashy knees model. I support Sika’s style. Very low key -yet one of THE best.

23. kiki

January 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oh seen… u can order online http://www.sikadesigns.co.uk Not cheap though but i guess for this class it may just be worth it 🙂

24. missboss

January 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm

WOW WOW WOW!!!! Totally gorgeous. Every peice is fantastic and wearable. i like!

25. Anya

January 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

awww….this model looks like the taller version of myself.

26. bintou

January 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm

love it !!!!

27. akosua

January 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm

wow, dresses really fab. wish we can get some to buy here in GH though

28. akosua

January 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

wow,fabulous dresses. where can I get to buy one in GH?

29. BC

January 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm

The prices had me uhh..*cough* British Pounds? Shoot.

30. RMG

January 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Now THIS is what i’m talking about,brilliant!

31. Anya

January 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Now this is a designer! Not like some of the other wannabees out there. This lady knows what she’s doing and she does it well. Good work, miss Taylor. You’ll go very far.

32. Hali

January 20, 2011 at 4:55 pm

That’s what a collection should look like…

33. zena

January 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

pls where can we get her stuff in nij

34. D.O.T.M.H

January 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This is what designing is about. Everything here is TOTALLY wearable and ROCKABLE!!

35. Ncyluv

January 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

absolutely gorgeous….i’m making one or two “wink”

36. ANJAY

January 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

woooooooow! This is by far the best collection I have seen in a while. I would wear everyone of them! Lovely

37. Ooops!

January 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm

simply fabulous!

38. ukay

January 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love love, simple, clean lines, classy yes!!!!

39. sefi-ann

January 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm

oh wow! love everything!, getting me some sika now!!!!!

40. BC

January 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Bella, you shouldn’t even approve some people’s comments. Damsel and Ogoni and Lady Jaye’s comments are just meant to create fights. “Haters” all of them. Just go elsewhere will you? smh.

41. ego

January 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Her shop is round the corner to my house in Greenwich. She has been my little secret for a while.. .Now i fear all you naija wannabees will start running there to shop. I wish to God bella never got wind of this designer, so that you guys can keep wasting your money on medicre and overpriced naija ‘designers’.

42. Oluwatobi Soyeju

January 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm

wow…….these styles r off d izzle

43. Yuds

January 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

LOVE just about every piece!

44. D.O.T.M.H.

January 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm

HEEEEYYY!!!! Those prices are not smiling o. Please does Lou Akande have any younger brother?? 😀 Maybe if I go to the store, they will be cheaper sha…

45. Aba, Accra

January 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

totally wearable! wow!

we r proud of u dear!

46. Cemi

January 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm

You couldnt have said it better – its always the loud mouth wannabees people who dont deliver ish. And the slow but sure ones are always the best – the low key ones – i am glad to learn of this lady today. I will look out for her stuff. Its so nice

47. Monique

January 20, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I like the fact that she sews in Ghana – this is all ways we can create jobs in our own homeland for our brothers and sisters instead of china china china. Thats very good. I hope all african designers will sew at home no matter the mass production of their product. African for Africans- For us By Us

48. uchechi

January 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Beautiful

49. Chioma

January 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

i coulda sworn the fabric Kente IS ALSO originally from Naija :lol – i dont know ohh lets ask our expert MIMI

• Aba, Accra

January 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Yes Chioma, every good thing comes frm Naija!

50. Chioma

January 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm

now we know why there is and will never be peace in our nation.

Anyway the dresses are nice sha and the prices are right

• Anony-kini?

January 22, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Why the overgeneralization and the curses? There’s peace in my nation….intermittent bouts of violence does not mean there’s no peace in the nation. Recently, there were bombings in Arizona here in the U.S. in addition to numerous suicides and high unemployment rates. Are they peace-less too? Abeg, make we calm down and rationalize before we make such comments on public forums.

51. Nma

January 21, 2011 at 12:08 am

Chineke God!!! Unarguably the best collection ever on BN!!!!! Chai!!!

I want every single piece! **breath** wow!

52. banke

January 21, 2011 at 1:41 am

heyyyyyy u guys shut d – up and admire this damn thing!! kaiiiiii! this is so beautifullll!! its elegant and sophisticated!! im sorrryyyyyy to be honesstttt! i am nigerian BUT!! iv never seen any nigerian designer make use of these fabric like this lady! nigerian abusssseee ankara! they make it look so cheap n tacky! like house of nwaocha! n d rest of them iv seen on this site! only jewel by lisa can make good use of these fabric! but this right here is not just stylish and can be worn to an event in hollywood it is also refreshing and chic! n yet simple! abeg she tryyyyyy!

53. moyo

January 21, 2011 at 1:42 am

impeccable

54. Jenifa

January 21, 2011 at 1:54 am

Hot fierce stunning and all that yet wearable

55. anon

January 21, 2011 at 2:47 am

Wow, simply exquisite.

56. asa

January 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Wow wow wow just wow, the collection is beautiful.

57. Kaltume

January 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

The clothes are very chic and extremely wearable! Love ’em all… To all the people spoiling for a fight, can’t we all just get along? Can’t we just appreciate a beautiful collection and move on without drawing comparisons?? Na wa o!!

58. butterfly

January 26, 2011 at 8:21 am

deyunm!!! why does she have to be so good? delicious pieces. i absolutely love!!!

59. kelechi

January 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

thumbs up sika,totally wearable

60. joy

January 29, 2011 at 11:58 pm

My onli prob is,if I see sme1 wearin sika,iwont recognise it!!…bad

61. Ogo

February 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

I adore Sika. The first & only time I went to London, I made sure to stop by her shop and have one of her dresses. I get compliments wherever I wear it incl. my graduation & a wedding. I plan on shopping w/ her in the future.

LOVE that she works (sews) in Ghana. I’ve met Phylis and she has an AWESOME attitude and personality.

62. anon

February 6, 2011 at 7:41 am

I am speechless. This is some real talent and designs that are actually wearable. Nigerians like to claim everything. You will be surprise how much talent other Africans have to offer, they are just really humble about it, and don’t broadcast it everywhere like Nigerians.

God bless Africa.

63. cece

February 19, 2011 at 8:28 am

Perfection. In addition, the model is gorgeous, the best I’ve seen.

64. dsugarrr

May 1, 2011 at 8:14 am

Absolutely adorable!!! Me like.

65. Odilia Domfeh

April 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm

i am just in love with your dresses. my birthday is coming up this month but all the dresses i saw online they are not my size. i know that you must be really busy but how can i contact you personally so that you can make me some dresses. if you can respond to me you don’t know how much it will mean to me. i love your dresses and i love to wear Ghanaian cloths since i am Ghanian as well.thanks

66. Pingback: Fashion with some Ghanaian Spice! - 1000 Cultural Encounters

67. Arrealla Red

August 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm

U ar 2 mucb, i hav smtin 2 discuz wit ma felow designers, u can find me on facebook as Arrealla Red.

68. yufui renarta kinyuy

December 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

i will like you to train my kid sister in fashion and designing because that is her hobby

69. yufui renarta kinyuy

December 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I am a Cameroonian

70. Aduku Emmanuel

September 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Am a Ghanaian based in South Africa and all i do is Print some of the VERY-BEST of Hand-printed African Fabrics.I have taken keen interest in all your works and impressed and in the conviction that you can use ME!!. Please KINDLY take a tour through my works and hope you will be glad you did.Will wish if WE can work together from this Point,many thanks…
    Emmanuel Aduku,