News

Whether Na One Naira!…Yeah Right!

Undoubtedly, the track “One Naira” off Nigerian rap sensation, MI’s sophomore album MI2 is easily a fan favourite. Coming off a much anticipated, yet not-quite-up-to-par with his hit debut album. The track dwells on the idyllic topic of romance with or without finance. Well, as nice and as well-meaning as it may sound, One Naira tries to sell us a lie – the lie that love (the true one as well as the fake one) does not require money.

Like any Nigerian who listened to music in the 80s, African American songstress Gwen Guthrie said it all in her 1986 hit, Ain’t Nothin’ Goin’ on But the Rent: men have to have a J-O-B if they want to be with her or any woman for that matter. Money, excuse me, plenty money is certainly a sine qua non in matters of the heart for without it, like erstwhile rapper Freestyle said in his track Money, “Woman cannot gel!” Allow me to illustrate.

At the university, my friend Ayo met a very lovely and pretty girl, let’s call her Shade. Ayo and Shade became good friends and he carried a torch for her. At the time however, Shade was in a relationship that lasted all through university, so Ayo bid his time and waited for his chance. His chance came at graduation when Shade broke up with her boyfriend. He said that it was as if heaven had smiled down upon him; finally Shade was his. They served in different states and they tried to see each other as often as possible. They would take long walks, hold hands and declare their love for each other. They talked about their plans for the future as he said he had every intention of spending the rest of his life with her. She said she felt the same way, and things could not have been better. They declared their love for each other saying all the sweet nothings – truths and lies – that accompany such tender moments. And of course she said what I am sure most women have said at one time or the other: “I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. It doesn’t matter even if we don’t have any money…money is not a big deal…I could live under the bridge with you if that was our only option, just as long as I am with you!” And did Ayo believe her? Hmm…he did o! Of course he had no plans of residing anywhere near a bridge or flyover but it seemed very reassuring to know that Shade was someone who would support him even if he didn’t have much; someone who would not push him into doing things that he could not do. Alas, Ayo was wrong. Only four months post-service, and no job, Shade told him that he was not ambitious. Ouch!!! Whatever happened to “staying with me under the bridge?” The writing was definitely on the wall. Well, needless to say things did not work out between them as I guess there were a few issues that one naira could not solve.

Funny enough, I find that it is always the women who are the ones who make such promises. It is not like the guys made them make such commitments at the threat of breaking up with them now? So why even bring it up? Truth be told, (responsible) guys know that they need to have money to take care of a woman; they wouldn’t want to date or marry a woman only to have her suffer. Man is meant to be the primary provider, with the woman acting as a help-meet. So we don’t need such declarations! Or I could be wrong o; maybe it serves to add weight to the depth of feeling and emotions being felt by the woman. Maybe guys see it as an ego boost when they imagine that their girlfriends or wives would not leave them even if they had just one naira!

We can excuse the relationships because after all as some guys would say, “Na me be her papa?” But money is important in every relationship, especially in marriage as the man has to provide and care for his wife. Truth be told, most women today are not even willing to settle for ‘potential’ – you know the intelligent guy that has a good first degree and has the potential to make it in life. They would prefer ready-made guys. MI raps about how his babe should stick with him “although the money is a maybe”! Laugh Out Loud!! All I can say is that he has keyed into the seemingly romantic notion of love without limits and turned it into a hit song. Sharp guy. I have seen too many marriages shake and crumble because the man had challenges providing for his wife and/or family. The irony is that this one naira part is actually part of the traditional Christian wedding vows, remember “for richer, for poorer”? Or maybe they should take that part out of the vows, like a girl I met said with all seriousness, “If he can’t take care of me, why bother?”

So in all seriousness, please, let’s not deceive ourselves here. There is no such thing as “romance without finance.” I daresay money is what makes the romance sweet sef; it is what oils the gears of love. Or do you want to be trekking when you can jump BRT; or enter BRT when you can enter okada; or enter okada when you can take a ride in a taxi? Guys please do not be deceived when a woman tells you such things like what Waje is crooning in One Naira o! it is just empty, sweet nothings and should not be taken seriously or else you might just get the shock of your life. And ladies, please don’t tell me it is a euphemism. Stop deceiving us, thank you.

Photo Courtesy: www.banknotesnews.com

1. Nikky

January 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I agree with u somehow cos to marry, there has to be some financial stability. However, a woman should know and be prepared to carry the responsibilities if the need arises…Like I have had to carry my family for about a year when hubbys business just kiceked off and I must say that i never regretted it. Infact i get praised everyday for it and the benefits that come after are definitely rewarding……

2. okidi

January 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

hahahahahah! BN you’re the best!

3. Ada

January 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

There is no romance without finance!!
    Money makes the love sweet like sugar and yellow like Fanta.
    Anybody that does not agree should stand in the middle of London Bridge. Yes!!

4. hauwa

January 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

right on point! Darey Original Man!
    please abeg boys/men/man all of una take note!

5. bootylicious babe

January 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Well said lady! Well said! My dad rings it in my sister n I’s ears dat “emio fe omo talika” meaning,”I don’t want a poor man for my children”!! When my dad can take care of me,y shd I go for a guy who cannot? Puleeasse!

6. blackberry

January 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

1ST…YAAAYYYY

7. Ronnie

January 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

LOL!! Don’t even know what to say…but I have seen some women love their man inspite of the fact that he didn’t have much money.It’s hard to do anything without money so let’s not make it seem as if it’s just about women and relationships. Nice article though…!

8. FeistyPen

January 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wonderfully written. Well done .

9. jess

January 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

True words!! I have mastered the art of completely phasing out during the “whether na one naira” part of the song. Amazing skill I tell you.

10. foolish talk

January 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

In this millenium. we have a lot of silly men who make their sole responsibility to make money. I find it an excuse to neglect other responsibilities in the home. No one has the formula but i damn sure know money doesnt make a man. Now I will be foolish to marry him poor cuz i am not sure what reward that brings. however, him having a range rover and a house in the subs is not a prerequisite for me. He just cant selfish as i am not the one to explain to my kids every night that daddy isnt home because he has to work! im sorry but i believe we have lost the “companionship” element of marriage. All some Lagos couples seem to do these days is attend weddings. *eye roll* ughhh side note why exactly do we give men extra credit for not being bums. YOU SHOULDNT BE A BUM. Women are way to quick to say “he is a good guy” it makes me sick. *sigh* ladies it aint easy being independent! QUESTION!

11. missboss

January 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

whether na one naira, whether na one million….. baby u gat me, baby u gat me…. NA LIE

12. CC

January 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Ewooo TJ sounds pained “Stop deceiving us. Thank you”

13. storm

January 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm

mehn, poverty is not an option nowadays oh, even my mum has been not-so-subtly hinting that i should not bring any man that cannot “take care of me well”…whatever happened to building with your man? oh right, i forgot – when some men start having a little change in their pockets, they tend to dump the women that stuck with them when they had nothing. But then again, marrying an already-made man has its own wahala. Do you know how he made the money, or doesn’t that matter anymore these days? Things like this make a girl confused jor. This marriage business gan sef….

• Daizzo

January 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Poverty was never an option even back in the day…

14. bcgeorge

January 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm

it’s a fact love don’t cost a thing but let’s not deceive ourselves money can’t buy you love but it sure can buy her prada bags, movie tickets, vacation to UK and all other accessories that don’t come cheap and which definetely make her happy( what then is love when you can’t provide for her).
    Money is like a sixth sense: you can make any sense with the other five withot it.
    Why do single girls flock around married men? They are always blabbing about how caring they are and stuffs, check it very well it’s only the rich ones who can provide for them that are tagged nice and caring not the broke ones o.hmmm
    Shit attracts flies…magnet attracts metal…money attract women…so easy.
    whether na one naira..Yeah right…even if she stays with you without money, chances are she would cheat at some point( emotionally or sexually) when it becomes unbearable for her. though I hate to generalize,it’s the women thing only few out there who wouldn’t compromise when the cheques stop clearing.

15. Chibaby

January 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Abeg… weather na ready made or potential. A good real man will always take care of his home today and tomorrow.

16. Miss A.T.L.

January 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm

BUAHAHAHAHA! Love this article and you’re right. I know I myself have said that “money doesn’t matter” and I believe it to a certain extent. The fact of the matter though, like you pointed out, is that a man should be able to take care of himself and his family. Unfortunately, especially in this uncertain economy, it’s proving a little bit harder and a lot of women are pushed into the roles of being the primary breadwinner (these are truly strong women).

I agree with the article where you say that we say such statements as “money doesn’t matter – through thick or thin, richer or poorer” to emphasize our feelings for men. And we may actually mean and believe it when we make those statements. Truth is, a lot of men make it a point to determine whether a woman is after their money or not. So therefore, it only makes sense for us to reiterate our “nonchalance” whether we truly mean it or not.

However, when it really comes to down to it, we were mostly brought up with our fathers taking care of their families and we grow up to “expect” the same of our future spouses. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that expectation. Even the bible says a man should take care of his family (1 Timothy 5:8).

As for your poor friend Ayo, pele. But we only know his side of the story. I know he’s your friend, but was he actively looking for work? Too many men become complacent and lazy and pretend to look for work while bemoaning the pitiful economy. Maybe that’s what “Shade” was seeing from him? I dunno – I wasn’t there.

Anyways, I feel like I’m rambling all to say NICE ARTICLE! We need a rebuttal from a lady 🙂

17. Chipii

January 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Me, the only thing I saw here was “Coming off a much anticipated, yet not-quite-up-to-par with his hit debut album.” Says who TJ? Speak for yourself jor! LOL. MI2 is a one of a kind album.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, all these problems arise when the individuals in question have not been saved by Jesus Christ. While lack of money may cause some friction in a saved couple’s home, the woman will not sweat her husband (and if she does, she will eventually repent) because true Christians understand that God, not man is the actual provider. So if times are hard, it is because God would have it so. So I do believe that there are women out there who would stay with their husbands whether he has N1 or 1 million.

18. puff-puff

January 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

while i agree that it’s definitely problematic for a woman to dismiss a man simply because he can’t afford to buy her a prada bag, don’t you think saying that “man is meant to be the primary provider, with the woman acting as a help-meet” (i.e. chip in when you can, but the man is meant to shoulder the burden of your well-being) is what is encouraging this sort of thinking amongst nigerian women? we should focus on developing ourselves and providing for our own monetary needs and those of our families lest we continue to be implicitly called gold-diggers in articles such as this.

19. Nomy

January 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

ehm well written article but please i beg to differ! Call me naive or pretentious but i think i can stay with a gut without too much. I have no plans in this world to be poor and i have made a decision to work to dust to ensure that i live the good life so if i am so blessed, why can i not comfortably stay with a guy who is not rich especially if i am madly in love with him? I am of the opinion that there is no hard and fast rule that finance goes with Romance. There must be exceptions. That said, i will still prefer to have the man take care of my needs though!

20. uduak

January 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm

wooooooooooooord!!!!!!!!! lol

21. partyrider

January 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

NO BOYS ALLOWED 🙂

22. ochella

January 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

wether na one naira, wether na one million…
    baby u gat me, baby u gat me.
    I love the song sha.
    But it’s not exactly realistic.
    Just like chris brown singing “cos if i gat you i don’t need money, i don’t need cars, girl you my heart” can’t remember the name of the song sef.
    I feel that when you have a woman you truly adore, you want to work sooooooooooo hard to give her everything.
    However i do not subscribe to materialistic love.
    Love should be so much more than what you can give and get from each other. The thing is people dont know how to balance it, they are either too materialistic or too *unmaterialistic*

• Ready

January 13, 2011 at 6:31 am

It’s called “With you”. I hear you jare.

23. indomie

January 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Omg this song came up in conversation over christmas break and I just retorted I can’t stand that song because there is no one naira men in my present or future and my guy friend busted out laughing for minutes. He then retorted that he KNEW that was why I wasn’t a big fan of the song. its so refreshing to hear that I am not the only one that feels that way.
    Phew!

24. da_sweetthin

January 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Sooo…As long as my man knows I Love him, does errthing to make me smile, gets me stuff when he can, we DO NOT live under the bridge and he doesn’t think this is a real math sum-Love=Food=Garri every 5 days, then he doesnt have to b wealthy…
    #ThoughtsofaSweetNaijaGirl

25. tootie

January 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

i really love the song. It emphasises that true love and money should be mutually exclusive, and absolutely agree.

26. ngum

January 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm

let’s not kid ourselves, finance is a facilitator for romance. but i will be just as uncomfortable if if it was the guy doing all the paying.

27. MeAlone

January 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I would have read the entire article but I just couldn’t get past that unnecessary comment in the beginning:

“”Coming off a much anticipated, yet not-quite-up-to-par with his hit debut album””

It just goes to show how much bad blood runs through some people and unprofessional they can be. Seriously of what relevance is this malignant ‘nugget of wisdom’ to the article? Since you want to take it there, where is your own album? Or albums?

Some people are just… smh

• partyrider

January 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm

chill..

• Chipii

January 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Na wetin I bin dey tink az wel!

• No vex!

January 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Where is all this anger coming from now? TJ is entitled to his own opinion as much as the next person, so chill!

• Gidi

January 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

He might be entitled to an opinion but not make a snide side comment that he refuses to back up as he delves into the main crux of his article.
      If he wants to criticize the album he should do a proper review or stick to the subject at hand.
      That line in the article smacks of cowardice.

28. peaches & coconuts

January 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm

In ur late teens and early 20s, its easy for a woman to make such statements and completely mean them. For one daddy ***insert whoever fits the bill here*** takes care of the important/basic stuff (rent, food, fees, allowance etc). Then comes graduation & b4 u know it, all that security is YANKED off! (some earlier than others). Alas, the hues in the rainbow dim faster than usain on a race track. By then, you’re singing a different tune. Some go from classical to garage in nanosecoonds while others gradually yield to R ‘n’ B, pop or hip hop. Plus, all her diaper buds are frosted in tiffany diamonds & louboutin scrapers! Her grass don yellow/brown finish! You no fit blame the babe (giggles!). Personally, I’d stick with a dude with palpable-about-2-burst-success who has proven time & again that he would ‘spoil’ me with the ‘little’ (coz we all know that’s relative) he has. Better a barack obama back in d day than a chris brown of 2day! But, a man who can’t take care of his family is worse than an imbecile (na Bible talk am). Its left 4 d woman to pick needs, wants or the variations of shades inbetween

• lizzy

January 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

Nice one, i like your use of words and your thought pattern.

• peaches & coconuts

January 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Merci!

29. Bola

January 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm

In a relationship i feel like there are so many moving parts, money being one of them. I dont think money alone should or could make any woman happy. Also be aware that if you base your relationship with any man on financial gratification you run the ask of being a purchased item which will only be as useful as when the next best thing comes along. BTW i like the song and i think the difference between this album and “talk about it” is that MI is experimenting a lot with some of the tracks .

30. Igbo kwenu!!

January 12, 2011 at 11:31 pm

as an igbo girl dat i am,my own go be….weda na one million,weda na ten billion baby u gat me…biko i cant fit shout!!hahahahah

• NIRA

January 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

I agree with you nne.

• Ada Nnewi

May 27, 2013 at 4:41 pm

LMAO! I totally Agree!!!

31. NNENNE

January 13, 2011 at 3:12 am

Who wan sufer? Not even the men. Not even the born again xtains. Haven said that,most girls these days would go with potentials, hard work, humility and willingnes to do anything to eck out a living.

32. tatafo!

January 13, 2011 at 4:18 am

At the end of the day it is character that counts.
    I have seen couples who gullied when they were broke and are still going strong in wealth today. I have seen some where the man changed wife like he changed cars when wealth came. And i have seen women that married into wealth and are very unhappy because the man’s family considered her a social climber.
    If your spouse has a good character, money will not be the main issue. Not saying that it isn’t important because it brings a lot of stress, but it’s better to have someone bear the burden that carrying it alone.

33. shade

January 13, 2011 at 5:23 am

puff-puff January 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM

“Don’t you think saying that “man is meant to be the primary provider, with the woman acting as a help-meet” (i.e. chip in when you can, but the man is meant to shoulder the burden of your well-being) is what is encouraging this sort of thinking amongst Nigerian women? We should focus on developing ourselves and providing for our own monetary needs and those of our families lest we continue to be implicitly called gold-diggers in articles such as this.

Enough said…

34. ReasonableMan

January 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

wow. i met lots of girls in lagos recently and i made it a point of fun to enquire what make them tick. i often ask them what they want in a man and the answers are ridiculous. there is no problem in marrying a made man or a man that can provide for all your needs but just remember that if a man that find you as a contributor to his life as in he is the only one who provids for the family and still need to be there to be a husband, a good father and all then you are so easily replaceable. one girl in particular said what she wanted in a man are good sex, he must be able to take her on holiday, shopping and buy her expensive things….and me thinks anyone can do that and your arse is toast. I would rather be comfortable that you can provide for yourself and let me provide for you than you just being a bum and start quoting Timothy 5:8 Get real ladies.

35. missy gee

January 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Well I rather be with a successful guy that can take care of me… Whether na 1naira, whether na 1million (dats all tales by moonlight) not interested in dat, cos when the money finally comes d man will forget how u started wif him… N plsss I rather cry in a rolce royce dan cry by the road side under the sun.lol

• lustre

April 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm

lol at ‘better cry in a rolls royce’. tru talk.

36. Mee

January 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

serious talk though!!

37. Amaha

January 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

My mumsie’s reaction when she first heard the song was intense laughter! Dat one na story oh! I’ve dated my share of poor and potential all for the sake of not appearing shallow. I can attest to the fact that paying for stuff as a Naija girl even if you have the means is so not fun! It had better be one million or else: Omo shift make man wey ihn pepper don rest appreciate me abeg. fi mi le jo!

38. Maxi luppy

January 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

its a painful truth for most relationships in the university. i discovered that and had to put my relationship on hold to hussle my future. nice article. thumbs up..

39. Gidi

January 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Even Waje does not believe the chorus of that song.
    Nuff said.

40. Ralu

January 14, 2011 at 12:10 am

EVERYONE male and female all have MINIMUM criteria for who they want to be with and those criteria and its thresholds vary from person to person. Some require a “made man”, others “potential” and others just need someone with a J-O-B. Either or, the woman who only requires “potential” is not more loving or less concerned about money that the one who wants to see you “made” first. Some men also want a woman who can cook proper isi-ewu or egusi or they are not interested, others want just someone who will know that Sunday is football day. We all have our “criteria”, whether its tall, dark, handsome, and rich, or slim, attack, defense and “home training”. Of course I know there are more and less important criteria for everyone but we ALL have them. There are people who require you to be one step away from the seminary in your faith and others are fine with you just going to church/mosque every week and all those in between and outside for religion.
    Whatever it may be, it is their relationship criteria and they are entitled to it, if you don’t like it, don’t date or marry them but you need to understand before you get involved and know they are not lying. Do your homework! Finally yes there are women who truly believe in what Waje is saying and aren’t looking for one million. I don’t know about one naira o, but maybe we can start with hundred naira, that can at least buy fanta abi

41. lauryn

January 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

okay so if he has the money does that guarantee u hapiness..my own cousin married into a richhhh family here in Kenya and mehn did we all diss her including we her own family coz it was clear all she wanted was the cheddar…however even if u support him its not a guarantee…..so question is which is the formulae?

42. SBA

January 18, 2011 at 11:56 am

As honest as this article is,there are still some ladies who are ready to stick with the guy whether na one naira as long as the guy shows that he is making some effort,but some guys as soon as the naira starts to pour in the girl gets dumped since she no longer fits his new and improved status.

43. ebutecastle

January 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Well written and refrenced. Money is the engine that drives love in any relationship.A woman is naturally vrey loyal to her man but when it comes to money issues,she wants to be taken care off, even if she is well off than her man she still wants to spend his money.

44. kokomma

January 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm

TRUE OH! no money no romance….i use2 have dis broke ass boyfrnd whom i dated for 2yrs. boyfrnd got rilly comfortable with my paying the bills and wen eva i refused, it became an issue..my dear, noone had2 tell me2 run. apart frm that he started becoming abusive and was always picking up fights…plus he’s level of paranoia was off the hook, coz he assumed i was screwing evry guy i said hi to..it took a whole lot2 leave that relationship b4 he killed me with his frustration.thats by the way sha. Now any guy i date must @least have money to buy lunch for 2…I’m don with broke asses

45. miday

January 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

money is important in a relationship but we really need 2 ask ourselves is d money going 2 buy u happiness?mi’s song was just a description of true love(where mny is nt necessarily an issue)so why criticize him?if u can stick 2 a poor guy gud 4 u n if u can’t gud 4 u. There’s no standard formula 4 love.I ve seen families where d woman is d breadwinner n they re still happy n I ve seen some where d man provides their needs but is never around. Women wats wrong with u working hard 2 make ur money instead of depending on men every time? Every human being wants 2 b taken care of whether male/female so women take care of ur men n men take care of ur women n let’s stop making money an issue in our relationships. It a song meant 2 entertain us n it sure did entertain me. I luv d song. And tj d fact dat u dnt agree doesn’t make it wrong k.

46. sallybonne

February 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

true talk tel dis guys o no luv witout money n viceversa

47. aijey

March 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

nice write up.

48. Kathryn Cage

March 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I can take dating a guy with no car but if i get into that taxi with you and you alight before me and say “baby get money and pay the driver” your ass is done, you are out of my life that very moment! Love without money indeed!!!

49. amber rose

March 26, 2011 at 12:51 am

kathryn,,,i totally agree. if he gets out bfore me, i am sprinting ahead of him. let the taxi man ‘jack’ him for d money. i work very hard to pay my bills and keep myself in d lifestyle i enjoy now. no apologies. but if a man wants to eat my money….he is gonna find himself on the dusty kerb. im not that desperate to keep a man with my own money, dats wat sugar mommies r for, i sure as hell aint one. a real man will work hard and take care of his woman. my dad did it. so he should. a guy once said he wanted to marry me and when i asked wat he had put in place he flared up. i asked cos the last thing i saw him do was repair electrical wires? he lost his temper and said God would provide. i am so sick of men saying God will provide. he already did by giving u a brain. use it. i am not going to put my life and lives of my kids in the hands of a man who never has money. thats suicide.let him provide basics like shelter and food. we can both pay d kid;s fees,. but who handles house maintenance, my maintenance, hospitals, vacations, inlaws, unforseen events? d list is endless…so u see y u need money to make it work. one naira my foot!

50. james macpherson

April 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

who wrote this piece ,did a marvelous job.Everything about it is true,i remember dating a Nigerian girl in the Uk,she told me stuffs that that were good to the ear to listen too like,”i cant imagine life without u,i would just die without u,u are the best thing that has happened to me ,u are d only thing working in my life”. All this changed when i lost my job,and during that period she even said another beautiful thing like i love u and i will never leave u.A month later i noticed changes and she told me she doesn’t love me again ,i found it unthinkable and was thinking do people say what they don’t mean emotionally and i was thinking Who does that? so its very pathetic .

51. Consumer

April 18, 2011 at 11:48 am

My Conclusion is.. as a lady it depends on your level in life lemme give u a chart
    18 – 25 – Whether na 10million or 20million, Honey U GAT ME!
    If they don’t see they are still riding on ‘independence’ the song still continues
    25 – 35 – My rules neva change bobo Whether na 10million or 20million, Honey U GAT ME!
    but from 35 – 45 Omo the song go get remix
    whether na N200,000 or N500,000 baby u still fit price!
    but FROM 45 with PRESSURE ON EVERY SIDE
    Woo! Whether na 50 pesuwas or 500 shillings baby take me! THE LORD WILL PROVIDE!

52. lustre

April 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

what a coincidence…. the song was playing on radio as i was reading this piece. i hope she means what she sings or she meant wot she sang which eva

53. thirtyplusgeek

April 23, 2011 at 11:22 am

Guess money is a necessary but not sufficient condition for romance then… Hmm…

54. miiiiiiiiiii

May 6, 2011 at 3:02 am

Yes, moni cnt buy happiness but its more comfortable 2 cry in a BMW than on a Bicycle!!!

55. Didi

June 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm

If ur father or brother is poor, it’s ur fate. If ur father-in-law or husband is poor, uhmmm need it be mentioned? U are a FOOL. One naira ♏v̶̲̥̅ ***. ₪α one naira D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ buy Waje weaves? ₪α S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡!!! Poor men have № biz being i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ relationships. They should be interested i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ money not honey. Who prefers akamu to chocolate chip n hot fudge sauce??? Enuf said!

56. Benny Anya

August 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Typical Nigerian girls on this page. Latter dem go dey ask “weting the guy see for whitey?” Naija guys, take note. If you ever think of hooking up with a Nigerian girl, you’d better get her while it’s “one Naira” in your pocket, because if you wait till it’s “one million” you should be prepared to live like 2face {now you understand why he lives as he does. He also believes there’s a “True Love,” he just understands that you can’t get that in Nigeria with “One million” in your pocket}. As for the hoes on this page, the sooner you look past what’s with the man and look to what’s in the man, the quicker you net yourself one, “one Naira” today can always become “one million” tomorrow!

57. zara posh

August 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

you don’t expect me to suffer in my dad’s house and then suffer in my hubby’s house.Me i can love 4 one naira. It all depends kinda we can build the wealth together aftarall u require two heads. Some ladies are too materialistic.Some parents wont allow their children to marry a one naira man talk more of a twenty five naira man. Maybe cause im a teenager cuz im 16 but thats my thinking and i know i can marry a one naira man

58. AjanleKoko

September 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Naija babes and Gwen Guthrie sha. Well, I don’t agree with you, or any of these comments anyways. Of course a man needs to provide for his family, but money can’t be a prime consideration for an eternal relationship. There will be hard times, sometimes, for both women and men in a relationship. What about times when the woman can’t conceive? Is the man expected to show understanding in that situation, or kick the woman out?

59. ejiro

March 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Na wa ooo!….4 naija babes,moni answereth all things o abi as dem dey c dia mates wt bold torch n tinz u fink sey d tin no dey hungri dem 2 flex 2?bt God go punish any jezeebel wey tink sey eim go chop ma moni 4free o,me no b psquare or akon

60. leo

July 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

my sisters will say ” i’ll rather cry in a limousine than on a bycicle o” lwkmd

61. hh

July 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

REAL love dont cost a thing.. but Pride will kill the love if you dont see it soon enough. Yes it is possible to fall in love out of status…however both couples must be prepared to work together to build a better future.

62. hh

July 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I disagree with those that say its a womans thing I have heard men and seen them shower gifts on a woman because they thought thats what she wanted. If you are steady with a woman and she respects you and God she will drink garri with you if your upfront and shes really into you. Paid my exes daughters school fees theres no cap on what real love will do