Events

“Roaring Giant: Africa’s Economic Ascent” – The 8th African Economic Forum (AEF2011) at Columbia University

The 8th African Economic Forum at Columbia University in the city of New York will take place on March 25-26, 2011. With over 400 participants last year, the forum has grown to be the largest Africa-focused event on campus and seeks to highlight opportunities and challenges through stimulating discussion, insights and strategies for a prosperous Africa. This year, the theme is Roaring Giant: Africa’s Economic Ascent.

A number of distinguished keynote speakers have already confirmed attendance including Danny Jordaan, CEO of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Organizing Committee, J. Kofi Bucknor, Managing Partner of Kingdom Zephyr Africa Management, Charles W. Brumskine, Senator and Liberian Opposition Leader, Dr. Shatayanan Devarajan, Chief Economist – Africa Region at the World Bank, Fola Adeola, co-founder of Guaranty Trust Bank/ Vice-Presidential Candidate for the 2011 Nigerian General Elections and Dambisa Moyo, NY Times Bestselling Author and Economist.

There will be several panel discussions covering the areas of business, law and government. The forum will also include a gala dinner with a concert and an African-inspired fashion show. Most events will take place at Jerome Greene Hall at Columbia‘s Law School located on W. 116th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in New York City.

The African Economic Forum is jointly hosted by the SIPA Pan African Network (SPAN) at the School of International and Public Affairs, the African Business Club at the Graduate School of Business and the African Law Students Association at Columbia Law School. For more information and early registration before March 13, 2011, please visit www.aef2011.com

Date: March 25th to 26th 2011
Venue: Jerome Greene Hall at Columbia‘s Law School located on W. 116th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in New York City
Register via www.aef2011.com

1. Tiki

March 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm

First to comment…Yay!but what a post to be first on…

2. Tiki

March 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Okay, forums on Africa’s economic development are always good as they birth workable economic strategies, but for once I would like to see one of these forums actually be in Africa, you know…so that more people who are directly concerned can attend and grasp something beneficial…just saying.

3. ij

March 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm

@ Tiki…aint u funy?

4. Kilonsparkles

March 15, 2011 at 7:04 pm

It’s amazing how all these things are always at awon Harvard & Columbia.

• Ready

March 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm

They have Africa-themed forums at other colleges/universities too. Awon Ivy League schools just get more attention because they’re awon Ivy League schools, and usually the speakers already have connections with ’em.

• Ivey league

March 16, 2011 at 1:57 am

5. Ida

March 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I was at last year’s conference, and a lot of topics/panels shed a new light on Africa’s development. I got my first job offer through a contact I made. I am so buying a ticket right now! Columbia peeps are so down to earth. As for the great networking opportunities…(I wont lie, there were some fine and intelligent people there who are passionate about Africa ). The eye-candy didn’t hurt at all. Off to NYC!

6. babylawyer

March 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm

yes o!!!!! thank you bella!!!! Major hugs and kisses!!!!! AEF rocks major! Ok so Bella thanks I wont lie, my post on Harvard Conference was a plug-in! Was on the organising committee last year and Ida is right, there are people incredibly passionate about African development. I’m back home myself. And if I can make the time I am heading back there. See you there Ida.

7. Dee

March 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Many of these schools need to collaborate and do 1-2 major ones per year. This is like the 10th one I am hearing this year alone, Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, MIT, Howard, o ti to!
    Na so so talk talk talk, with no action. Schewzz!

8. NNENNE

March 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm

A little goes a long way. Rome was not built in a day!

9. fatounettesenegalchic

March 16, 2011 at 4:47 am

thanks Bella it’s really nice to see that your website is more than celebrity and fashion. I happen to live in new york and just submitted an app to Columbia university MS in actuary this is a good school and although due to other important engagements i might not be able to go but let me say this for those who can i think you should try cause some of the connections you might make there will come very handy one day. A student i met in my info session there is helping me study for the 2nd actuary exam that would not have happen had i stay home that night. t

10. Modupe

March 23, 2011 at 2:40 am

Keynote speakers: Kofi Bucknor, Danny Jordaan, Shanta Devarajan, Fola Adeola, Charles Brumskine, Dambisa Moyo. Register at http://www.aef2011.com