News

Zinkata’s Styling Adventures: The Turbulent Feelings Roaming the Mind of a Stylist

Ezinne Chinkata

An individuals choice to work in the creative industry is never an easy one, there is the likelihood that ones parents may not embrace  their child’s urge to pursue their passion, and then there are the challenges that come with the path we choose to follow. Stylist Ezinne Chinkata reflects on her career path and the turbulent feelings that come along with it.
***

Some days, I wake up in the morning, petrified, afraid to face the reality of the life I have chosen to live. Sometimes, it makes great sense and other times it feels like a big gamble. What have I chosen? What is this path that seems so reckless? I have chosen the path of a creative, to work in a field I feel passionate about. I have rebelled amidst my dear Daddy’s dire warnings, I have become a Fashion Stylist/Image Consultant/Writer/ Fashion Editor. It seems like a pretty straightforward profession, albeit slightly new aged, right? Tell that to the conventional Ibo family I sprout from, or even to most of Nigeria’s straight laced society, where the only stylist they understand is a hair stylist “local saloon” !

The life of a stylist is filled with loads of excitement, color, interesting people, high adrenalin, high stress, mad insecurities and above all deep contentment. I love working as the Fashion Editor of Wow! I also love the satisfied look a client has after a successful styling stint, which further strengthens my resolve to continue at this. I love strutting round in my stilettos and wearing all manners of outfits my mind decides to conjure, depending on the size of my thighs at the time, the weather or even my haircut. I play dress up all the time. As I sit writing this memo, I am dressed in a sharp green vintage dress I bought from Iceland with silver sky high stilettos and a very over the top fascinator I purchased recently from Leila Fowler’s store. I almost had a dizzy swoon when I saw it, my tongue fell out and my hands clutched like a “chain reaction” to my cheque book and biro, I signed off instantly for its possession, even if It makes me bear a fuzzy resemblance to Hitler’s evil grandma .It expresses my creativity and at this point, that is all I need to set my turbulent heart at rest.

Working for oneself is a myriad of mad unknowns. However, it is up to you to make it successful. You have to constantly develop yourself, constantly try and carve something special for yourself that gives you your own unique style and personality. You have to have long term goals. You have to stay grounded, you have to stay positive. You have to let all the negativity slide. You have to stay consistent! It is such a tall and hard order! You get developed harder and faster than you realize. You may discover new wrinkles on your face in the morning as a result of regular pondering. However, amidst all this turbulence, there is joy and satisfaction.

In life, we all choose different paths, some go the straight forward way and get a 9 to 5 in an already structured organization and build their career from there. Others take my route and strike out on their own. Which is the preferred option? I would like to believe that there is no preferred option; we make decisions that suit us! Make the bold step; choose the option your heart most actively yearns.

Photo credit: wardrobeadvice.com

Ezinne Chinkata is a leading Fashion Stylist/Image Consultant/Writer/ Fashion Editor in Nigerian Fashion. She has styled numerous lookbooks and editorials and is the current Fashion Editor at WOW! Magazine. Contact: [email protected]

1. dammy

June 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

2. http://dakkylove.blogspot.com/

June 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Its a huge risk but if you have passion for what you do it’s well worth it ..proud of you girl…at this rate you’re going to explode . congrats

3. Allegra

June 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Parents may not embrace their children’s choice of career but that should not stop people from following their dreams. Too many Nigerian parents push their children into fields which they are not suited to just for the sake of keeping up with the Jones’……..this is 2011 and it is bad enough regardless of individual choices but to then be faced with unreasonable parents is considered double whammy!!

4. stella

June 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm

yeah

5. show some love

June 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Lovely piece, What struck me most was “I would like to believe that there is no preferred option; we make decisions that suit us! Make the bold step; choose the option your heart most actively yearns”. Yes there is definetely no preferred option

6. faith

June 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

am 27yrs old n still dont know wat i want to do with my life…am good in so many aspect..i am a graduate, can make hair, sew, style, teach…in short i can do anytin i set my mind to do…presently i work as an office adminitrator in an oil servicing compy….not gettin any job satisfaction but they r paying me well sha..i envy people like u ”Zinkanta” dat av decieded on wat dey want n doing it…..more grease to ur elbow dear…but i dont like d way u style Ini Edo oooo…lolsss

7. my day

June 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Without passion, the world is a lifeless, joyless ride of monotonous misery! Big ups to you for following your passion.

8. linds

June 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm

First lol! I dnt even know why people do this! First????????

9. biola

June 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

10. Ene

June 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm

First?

11. Elpee

June 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

True talk!

12. Ogor

June 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

🙂 Keep your head up..

13. fumi (Brown Sugar)

June 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hey Zinny!really cool write up..mehn!u can say dat again o!my thots xctly!in d end ther’s absolutely nothin as fantastic as waking up to a new day,gettin dressed and heading out d door-towards a job dat u totally adore with every fibre of your being..knowing dat no matter wat comes with it;good or bad,ur gonna hav to take it…I’m a makeup artist.(With my own biz).Head Guru/Head of the Glam Squad @ Brown Sugar…n I know how totally demanding it all gets trust me!somtimes I jus wanna breakdown n slip into oblivion…..bt it’s neva hapend yet…n hopfully won’t!lol!….and of course “daddy issues” too(when I decided to launch into the deep)…so I feel u girl!keep it up tho!ur doing big thangz!
    P.S;its me fumi from Our Saviours…ur mum’s frend’s daughtr!remembr me;)….lol!tk cr hun!*mwah*!…..Rock On!

• Elpee

June 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Wow extended family friend much! Get the word in!

• storm

June 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm

lol…that’s what i thought too

14. luvbogg

June 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hmmmnnnn this is a boost to me. I am leaving my ok-paying 9-5 JOB to become a deisgner/fashion consultant @ the end of the year. My mind is full of questions and insecurities but i am so doing this! nothing beats these feelings as described by Ezinne, thankyou for this post, I am sure more than ever that this is what i want!

• yourpally

June 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Luvbogg, this is your pally….how about maintaining your job and testing the waters? I think you should give yourself a year or so and see if you can juggle both AND still earn a tidy sum from the fashion consultancy….i.e see if it works…if it does, then leave your job because you should be growing a client base by then and go headlong into your business…that’s my candid advice…whatever you do though…keep rocking babes!!!

15. emjay

June 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

wow!i know am not first bt cant find any comments! anyway! YAY! its really good to enjoy wat u do dat makes dis our short life interesting. Good Article!

16. NNENNE

June 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I have much respect for girls like you- who dared to be diferrent. Honestly, I do not have the balls!!! My family wanted me to be a teacher, but I chose the health professions. I have no regrets. It does not matter what we choose as long as we are happy.

17. lola

June 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Great piece! However, I would personally would have gone with the name Ezinne chinkata as a business name rather than Zinkata.

18. HRS OLUBUSOLA

June 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

Fantastic piece, there’s nothing has beautiful has following ur passion, u have a job that u derive joy from!

19. Didi

June 15, 2011 at 11:17 am

Lovely article.

20. Alladdin

June 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

it feels realy good 2 read a piece lyke this. for someone lyke me who wants 2 be a profesional chef n d only chef pple knw r d ones dat cook 4 parties n pple who own eatries! but then its d pasion dat keps me goin…n d fact dat i will inspire pple 2 follow their dreams…d world will definately accept us someday…it wil only take tyme my dear.

21. Lola X

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Lovely article…

22. luvbogg

June 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

@ your pally thanks so much for your wise words, rock-on too!

23. Jeme

June 16, 2011 at 12:17 am

Lovely piece! There’s nothing as fantastic as enjoying what you do… It just gives you the needed boost to achieve all you’ve set before yourself, especially when you’re your own boss. Well done chick! You’re brave and its paying off… I hope this gives someone out there the confidence to ‘go for it’.x

24. Nexyy

June 16, 2011 at 8:00 am

WOW! A great piece you have..I’ll be joining you soon in the adrenaline filled profession ……thats my calling!Lemmi first test the waters of my current job!

25. Gg

June 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

26. Nne Daddy

June 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

Sis Ezyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    We are proud of you……………………………….