News

What Makes the Perfect Date?

I really can’t believe I am here! While half of the world and their mother are either relaxing at home or enjoying some sort of Christmas/New Year holiday bliss, I am stuck at the office trying to design projects for the New Year! The word “sucks” readily springs to mind every 5 minutes! But alas! This is what I am paid to do, so I shall be a big girl and not complain.

Its 2 days left to the end of the year and my brain is officially on rest mode. So in between signing documents and the usual work requirements, I have had to inject it with doses of excitement from online material. It was during this excitement required/ boredom eradicating sessions that I stumbled on an article by Lisa Jones on MSN’s Men’s Health Section.

The article, which gives pointers to men on how to achieve a perfect date, got me thinking about my own perfect date scenario. As usual, I’ll be honest with you my fellow BN Reader. I have had only one perfect date my entire life. It was actually a blind date, which was set up by a cousin of mine. And although the date never materialized into anything beyond friendship (because we live on separate continents), it did leave a lasting impression which no other guy has yet been able to beat.  And no, it didn’t involve flowers, an especially romantic setting or anything out of the ordinary. It was just two people, eating and talking until we realized we had been talking for 3 hours and neither of us was ready to leave.

Setting up the date was simple enough. He sent me a text message, asking if we could meet at a set time and giving me the option to choose the venue. I choose my favourite dinner location and we exchanged a few pleasant but slightly flirtatious text messages before the meet. I got there before him and I kept my driver waiting, just in case I needed to make a hasty exit. He was 20 minutes late, which off course, got under my skin but I decided to let it slide, particularly as he had sent an apologetic text message earlier blaming the well known VI rush hour traffic for his late arrival.

He was tall, fair skinned and casually dressed with knee length khaki shorts, a white and navy blue short sleeved stripped shirt and brown loafers. He had an air of confidence about him that made up for his rather laid back attire. As he sat down, he placed a pair of neatly manicured fingers on the table and the air from the air conditioning vent brought to my nostrils a cold scent of his cologne. My eyes twinkled as I recognized the scent as one of my favorite.

The date progressed easily. He didn’t make the usual cliché comments about “how beautiful my eyes were” or about “my nice lips”. Instead I noticed his eyes never left my face and that he paid attention to every word I said. He asked insightful questions about my career, family and hobbies. He stood up when I got up to go to the ladies and pulled out my chair for me when I returned. An hour and a half into the evening, I asked my driver to close and almost 2 hours after that my date dropped me at home. But not before he opened the car door for me and made sure he gave me a hug when he dropped me right in front of my gate. That evening he sent me a text message, telling me he had gotten home safe and that he had a good time. I replied with similar sentiments and a few days later my date left the country.

With my above experience in mind, I checked to see if any of Lisa Jones’s pointers squared up with my personal account of a perfect date. Here is a summarized version of her pointers;

1. Observe the 4 p.m. Deadline: As the big date approaches, women worry that they’ll be stood up. This is why there’s a 4 p.m. deadline. If you call at 4:20 to confirm the 8 p.m. date, I’ll have already made other plans, just to protect myself from the letdown.

2. Choose the Location Well: The first date should be closer to my place than yours. You should reach the meeting place on time or a little early. If you’re driving to my place, pick me up 5 minutes late. There may be a stray hair that needs taming. And observe proper car etiquette. Always open the door for me, whether or not your car has power locks. Pressing a button does not a gentleman make

3. Money Matters: Spending too much on a date makes me think you’re trying to buy my affection. Or worse. I’d rather see evidence of your personal interest than your interest-bearing accounts.

4. Pay Attention: Girls spend a lot of time getting glam. They also spend a lot of time wondering if guys notice. Respond to my efforts.

5. But Chill with the Compliments: Give me a couple of sincere snaps—but make sure they’re thoughtful. If you say you like my smile or my eyes, I’ve heard it before. Say, “Look at that dimple,” or, “Wow, you have great eyelashes.” Now you have my attention. Compliment my intelligence and sassiness

6. Introduce Me: If you stop and talk to absolutely anyone, introduce me within 30 seconds without using the words “my friend.” Personal details are required.

7. Don’t Go All Donald on Me: Let me discover what’s valuable about you, not what you’ve bought

8. Notice What I Drink: Ask me if I’d like a refill when I leave an empty glass behind and head for the ladies’ room. This makes you attentive and thoughtful.

9. Walk Me to My Door: It’s a scary world, and I want you to protect me. If you’re welcome inside my apartment, I will invite you. Do not ask to use my bathroom

10. Kiss Me: If the date has gone well, lips must come into play. Even if it’s just a peck.

But what about you guys? Have you had a perfect date? What was it like? Was it anything similar to mine or something much more elaborate? Do you agree with Lisa’s tips for creating a perfect date? Or do you think perfect dates are overrated and it’s the connection developed after the date that matters most?

The full article can be read at: http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/connected-life/staticslideshowmh.aspx?cp-documentid=31698303

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are https://www.canadianmeds4u.com/category/buy-antibiotics-online/ more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. jennietobbie

December 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Awww….tissue please!! Glory, we have soooo much in common. You have no idea.
    Well, for me perfect date, no; perfect friendship hell yes!!!

That was very beautiful 😉

• twix

January 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm

lol… i think i ll rather go for an HEAVEN YES and HELL NO……..

2. onyx

December 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Dunno about Lisa’s list because I will:

*Not be wanting any lips near my cheek or mouth after a first date. Dude, I just met you. Also, excessive phyiscal contact will not be tolerated …
    *Need you to spend that paper and come correct with a first date. I’m not saying we’ve got to eat somewhere 5 star but you better be taking me somewhere nice.
    *Prefer if you didn’t refill my drink when I take a loo break. Date rape drugs are a real danger.
    *Prefer if you don’t walk me to my door. Again, I’ve only just met you.

First dates are a potential minefield though, I’ve had a few where I paid … I know it’s the wrong tone to set, just wanted to eat somewhere nice and didn’t want homeboy running scared …. 🙂

• soulsista

December 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Ayyyyeeee!!!!

• BARBS

January 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm

3. onyx

December 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Oh, yeah, just went back and read your other questions which I didn’t the first time. Just like you Glory, I’m at work and have been ignoring paperwork on my desk to hound BN for new posts…

First dates are nice & all but there’s not always enough there to work out that connection. My turn-ons are a good heart, generous nature and the ability to have a laugh. He could have practised hard at opening car doors for me but I need to know if thats something he’s used to doing for women. The same for all the other first date “effizy”.

I think my issue is that I want to be totally real on a first date and can’t abide coyness, so I really don’t know how to balance that with being there to enjoy the “first date experience”.

4. chi chi

December 29, 2011 at 4:35 pm

well, i haven’t had a ‘perfect date’ yet. looking forward 2 it. rules are good, but there has 2 be a ‘connection’ of some sorts during the date…

5. soulsista

December 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm

lmao @ “pressing a button does not a gentleman make”…that cracked me up lol

6. kryx

December 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm

hmmm…must admit i luv d natural yet casual but healthy nature of ur d8.cnt help bt wsh 4 sumfin similar or better 4 masef

7. MissAnon

December 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm

arggghh Glory your perfect date sounds so much like mine (so far, cant speak about the future). Only mine wasn’t an intended date or even a date…we had met at a friend’s bday dinner. It all started with a topic of conversation between the group of us in the cab and ended 4 hours later when he had to leave to go to work *sigh* THAT has never happened to me before…to be able to have a full flowing, intelligent, yet funny and sarcastic in all the right places, no silences, no awkwardness, no repeating the same ol’ “so what do you do” question type of conversation for soo long. It was so bad that although we were seated on a table with 8 other folks, we didn’t actually speak to anyone else the entire afternoon. Which truth be told i was uncomfortable about cos you know how all eyes are on you…but mehn it was simply AMAZING! Dude was just on my level….or so I thought till our 3rd conversation 3 nights later and realised that the conversation was heading down some sleezy alley. Like for real? ‘We’ died a natural death after that. Nevertheless, that ‘fake date’ was simply AMAZING. To be able to connect with someone you’ve only just met and talk about various things for soo long, even in the midst of company is rare.

8. Ebi

December 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Had a first date with a gentle man. and well it went so well I was thinking of a 2nd and many more when he worked me to the car. he made it closer to my house and am glad he did not attempt to kiss me or show off. i

9. Cee Sabrina

December 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm

It wudnt hurt if he has dimples.. Really cute ones!!!!!!! Twud be nice if he also doesnt put on airs.. chillax.. (if ure a phony, it wud show sooner than you think) and you’d better not be xpecting me to pay( I just might and mentally add you to the list of strays to cross off..arrgghh!!) Just be you, cute, articulate.. easy to hang out with. that shud do the trick.. (say.. we do have such beings here,abi? That wasnt soo talllll a list, was it?)

10. Go Speed Dater!

December 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Now some rules from the fellas:

1. Be reasonable with transportation arrangements. We live in a mega-city (speaking for Lagos folks here). If you have a car or access to one, offer to meet up with me. Dont expect me to leave Lekki where I reside, drive all the way to bloody Mafoluku to pick you for a date in a spot in V.I., and then drop you back at Mafoluku. Abi you be winch? Lagos traffic, and traffic in many places is crazy. And no, by offering to meet up or be flexible with vehicular arrangements, I dont think you are cheap.

2. Your appearance must be on point. See how I am decked out in my fitted ‘gum-bodi” black shirt, slick pants, patent loafers with my fresh Hugo Boss cologne to boot? Girls, please make an effort with your appearance if you are meeting up for a date. Hygeine is key; but please also shave your legs. Arm-pit hair on a female is also a no-no. And please sort your weave out – please dont use the parker pen on my lapel, or the tip of the fork on the restaurant table to scratch your flaky Brazilian weave hairline.

If you want me to treat like a lady, then act like one. Look like one. No pitbulls in a skirt, please

3. Chill-ax (Chill + Relax) when you are handed the menu (or if you have to look up at it on a board). Do not suddenly become bi-polar with your oder, requesting every dish with an exotic sounding French name, and condemning my wallet to serious debt. Ques que ce?

I will give a few examples: A guy took a girl to Mr. Biggs to grab a take-away. Immediately the girl walked thru the door, she developed Obessessive Compulsive Disorder, and started ordering plural of everything – 2 chicken legs, 2 meat pies, 2 chicken supremes, 2 tasty fiestas…

The people on the queue behind her were even angrier than her date. Some people started shouting “Longer-throat, why you no order the whole UAC sef?” E.M.B.A.R.R.A.S.S.I.N.G

I once took a girl to eat somewhere, and some minutes after our food arrived, I had to stop eating. I told the girl “I want to watch you eat.” I wasnt being romantic: the way this girl was cracking and grinding a thick cow leg bone as if it were biscuit bone was something to see. KPA! KPA! KPA! She was wolfing down the food like she was still in boarding school. She even broke 3 of her acrylic fake nails in the process.

I took another girl to Ice Cream factory. This girl requested 2 huge ice cream sundaes with 3 huge scoops on each. After she swallowed those, she requested one more. Then she wanted another ‘for the road.” I objected. There was a hawker selling Fan Ice from a bicycle on the street outside. So I offered to buy her “condensed” from him instead. End of date.

4. Please do not bring your unattached loser friend to our date or encourage her to stop by. It would surprise you how often this happens.

5. Invite me up for coffee (I hate caffeine but thats besides the point) if I had done well during the date. Come on ma, bless a fella with a kiss or some ‘make-out action” at the end of the date. Show a brother love, especially if you dey feel my parole. Dont “walakolombo” me after I have spent all this fortune. Naija girls need to chill with unneccessary shakara.

And finally remember that a date does not always have to equal food and film. Lets get creative without breaking bank and limb. We could order cheap chinese and stay indoors and watch Spartacus 20 in one DVD.

• Ms Catwalq

January 1, 2012 at 9:45 am

My dear, please tell them…about the “friend stopping by”, the first time I heard of it, I thought the person telling me was pulling my legs. Mba o. In fact, she was stunned I had never tried it. I wondered aloud, what for? Is she coming to wash the plates?

• Purpleicious Babe

January 2, 2012 at 2:27 am

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww… lol..

Well said though…

I knew it could only be u…

ESCO…….. NO1 entertainer….

• Tiki

January 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

lololol..cracking up here. I’m with you on all but Number 5…no lip-locking on first dates please. However I’m sooo with the idea of dats not being all about dinner and a movie. Sometimes I’m not hungry or thirsty, I just wanna get to know u…especially if it’s a weekday (I hardly ever drink during the week or stay up late.) Be creative. I once had a guy take me for a swim in the evening. Lots of innocent fun.

• Qutey

January 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm

LWKMD @ No 3 n 4…..OMG!!! also @ carrying random friends, i’ve neva been able to fig out ehy girls do that…. d only time I asked a friend to drop by, it was cos I had a dodgy feeling bout the guy I was on a date wit, sure enuf my suspicions were right n my friend dropped in on time to get me outta there…shikena! If its not a safety/disaster-avoiding tool, girls please let the girls go n hunt for their own dates… its not nice either to go ordering take away for all ur village!

On the others though, bout no 1, if ur date has no means of getting herself to d date venue, its nice to offer, don’t be an ass, especially if u want her to turn up looking all preppd n hot n to have fun, how can u be so settled n have fun n look clean if u’ve just beein ruffing it in d sun by trekking/cabbing/busing/okada-ing, etc; and den still have to worry bout how to get back home without being robbed in traffic…abeg beta apply wisdom o! If u want me to put effort into all dat, u shld not whine about picking me up, or @ d very least pay for d return cab if d venue far, or alternatively pick a venue as close to me as possible! I no dey negotiate my safety, if e tire u, siddon ya house!

Also if I’ve just been hustling thru lagos public transport system to reach u n still have to hustle back home ,n u bring any kain mouth near my face for kiss, expect to be kissing d air!

• titolicious

January 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

na wa ya o,,,,speed dater>>>Interesting read tho.
      ‘And please sort your weave out – please dont use the parker pen on my lapel, or the tip of the fork on the restaurant table to scratch your flaky Brazilian weave hairline’….lol

• missA

January 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

hahahahhah! i misssss u!!!! you should see the way i’ve been screaming here after seeing ur blog addy..*huge grin*

• becca

January 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm

*rolling*

• SOPHIE

January 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm

You’re really funny….

• Nomy

January 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

I was going to agree perfectly with you till you pout No. 5 0n your list.Oga think beyond the physical inugo? If i have satisfied all your desires perfectly, im for a 2nd and 3rd date or aim to make it a perma affair. Don’t start thinking smooch.

• Amia

January 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

lwkmd!! m so laffing so hard here, i luv dis.point taken sir.

• amber rose

February 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm

OH MY GAWD. i love ur post, i rili do.

• amber rose

February 15, 2012 at 11:32 pm

OH MY GAWD. i love ur post, i rili do., but also expecting some action pn d 1st day isnt a must. if u did good, then we have subsequent dates. then we act our own action film.

• Edogal

February 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

You had M̶̲̅ε̲̣ reeling wit laughter. I totally agree wiv U̶̲̥̅.

11. x0x0

December 30, 2011 at 12:45 am

FINALLY!! I’d thought you people had let this feature of the site die. I miss you (well your writings) Gloryyyyyyyyyy!

12. HRHJ

December 30, 2011 at 8:28 am

I think u got it covered, but like Onyx said, hell no, don’t come near me with ur lips on a 1st date.

13. partyrider

December 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm

BN why cant we see this post on the home page?
    i had to go back to twitter to follow the link..thanks

14. Hormo

December 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Lukn forward to a date like dat

15. pendo

December 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

But Glory why did yo let the continents divide you? LDRs have been known to work there is skype you can visit he can visit etc and if you think it is going somewhere then you both set a time for when the LDR will end and one moves to the other coz you can’t be long distance for ever….

16. Jobs in Nigeria

December 31, 2011 at 12:15 am

Good music, romantic atmosphere, lots to laugh about. And the most important of all, a wonderful communication with perfect sequence and lots of smile added to spice it.

17. cathy

December 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

well nice one

18. Tayo

December 31, 2011 at 11:38 pm

The less I spend on a date… the more perfect it is for me! The more I spend on a date the less perfect it is for me. Going on a date does not mean it will turn to a relationship, so why the heck should I spend huge on a date? If you want to spend money, it should not be my hard earned cash!

19. Wahl

January 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

A sack of bull………..

20. Purpleicious Babe

January 2, 2012 at 3:08 am

interesting article….

first dates can be fun, depending on both individuals..

Personally, I prefer polite, well mannered, cultured and intelligent guy. It does comes with time and work. I think upbringing plays a significant role in how individuals present themselves…

Some people just know how to work a charm, they instinctively know what to do, sometimes they do it to impress u and it is not in their character at all.

Some people have initiative and yes they know when to use it and it is in them n they don’t do it to impress u. It is how they have been brought up.

For instance, my friend linked up with a guy in his apartment, they both shared a PIZZA. She asked for the bathroom to wash her hands, the dude came out with a bowl of water. Now, she thinks that is a nice gesture.
    My initial reaction was awww that is nice but hindsight if there was no chemistry at all, I would have thought what with this rubbish…

My advice: No pretense, be yourself but have a balance and show you are well trained and mannered. Also always study that person you are on a date with.
    FINALLY, Have no expectations…

Re: to the Lisa Jones advice..

1)I am not part of the women that worry about being stood UP…. I clearly do not care and no if I have set a time to meet with you and you call late to cancel. I wont think much of if if u have genuine reasons.. If not.. sod it.

2)No do not pick up late (although I would prefer to make my way). Let me know if u will be running thats if we have agreed u are picking me up. I will not feel comfortable with that, so I will say NO. Dont pick me up expect for exceptions reasons. It will have to be a place I am familiar with.

3)The bill will be split… if u insist on spending please spend prudently. I hate when people over do it.. Its nothing about my date, it just my mentality. If u spend too much or less, I wont see evidence of anything. Except through the way u do things as in body language.

4)I dont take forever to be glammed up. pay attention to the convo if u dont what was the point of the date..

5)To be honest pay me compilment or dont pay.. am not bothered. really. if u do great, if u dont great.

6)I dont mind, as long as you are polite and use my name.

7) I didnt get it.

8)errrrrmmmmmmmmmm… it wont matter if noticed or didnt.

9)I guess it a nice gesture again am not fussed but this will depend on the chemistry and the date we had. If it was crap…. oh boy pls do not walk me to my door infact I will tell u not too bother. I will get me home. If it was great, if u walk me to my door or didnt it wont make any difference. Like i said it is a nice gesture if it was done. No, I know the world is already scary, walking me to my door will not make me feel protected in any shape. It just means u are making an effort thats all.

10) Not bothered. but would prefer a nice hug and goodbye…but again this will depend on the chemistry and how the date went. If it was great, hell yeah, a hug would be nice. If it was not a hug will be tolerated if it was offered by the dude, but I will only do it becos am being nice not becos I really want to hug him..

Me am a fussy individual… hence if u study me, u stand a better chance, and that itself takes time and effort…

Finally. am off to blog about this so letting u know am coping the questions..lol. thanks.

• dick

January 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

purpleicious babe, u said some truths but let me be sincere to u that u seem not to care a lot about many things.i see this air of indifference all around u.let me not be judgemental cos thats just u but i wonder if ur first date may ever go home knowing whether or not u were satistisfied with the date.u dont care for a hug, u dont care for compliments,u dont care if u are stood up,u dont care if he is late provided he gives u the right reasons…….i mean what do u really care for.even if u know ur worth men sometimes a woman needs to be told she is beautiful. just sometimes..

• A.D

January 4, 2012 at 10:51 pm

dear dick…….see how weird that sounds, i really love all the comments uve put up, i mean, such wisdom, u speak well informed, but whats with the name.

• Purpleicious Babe

January 5, 2012 at 1:20 am

lool… i care that he is intelligent, well-mannered, polite, respectful and REAL and that he has taken time to understand that I think differently and act differently. I am just not ur average person, I know this for a FACT. But one thing I will let u know he will leave wanting to know more. But then again he might just think she is wack.lol… mehn am never gonna see her again.

• Purpleicious Babe

January 5, 2012 at 1:29 am

and btw I am quite indifference about alot of things cos I just do not see life in that way anymore. Its like whatever jare…. lol. but trust if he is intelligent he will see potential… Remember it is all in the mind…

21. Maegan A. Whisnant

January 2, 2012 at 6:53 am

Very interesting article. What if he was under the impression that the date was going well but it was horrible for you? Or what if you were only being nice and he misread it? If that was the case and he went in for the kiss then….well….

22. Titi

January 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

My perfect 1st dat was with this cute guy… An up and coming movie director… I saw a movie he did, got in touch with him after then … We exchanged pins and from there kept in touch from time to time. I had a crush on him and I don’t hide stuffs like that. If I like a guy, I tell him… Y hide it n lose d opportunity?

He was in town (Port harcourt), I was on my Industrial Training n to sleep out, I lied to my folks that I was going on a field trip, while I lied to my bosses that I had to go to school to do stuffs ( you see, I knew I wanted to get down with this guy and nothing was going to stop me). Lol.

23. Titi

January 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I got to the hotel where he was staying, went to his room, since we were meeting for the first time, we did more of chit chatting and then it was almost lunch time. We went to the hotel’s restaurant, ordered a 3-course meal with a bottle of wine! He had taste and I was impressed… As usual with wines, wen slightly tipsy, u get slightly aroused and that was the state I was aiming for. When we got back to the room, we made sweet love and michel buble was playing in the background. It was crazy but I loved it! And I didn’t hesitate when he invited me for a second date after a few months… We didn’t end up dating but we’ve been good friends since then!!!!

• Shabba

January 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

This sounds like something from a novel.*yawn*

• juy

January 7, 2012 at 1:09 am

congratulations…u sleep wiv guys on the first date, no wonder u didnt end up dating

• ah

January 10, 2012 at 4:48 am

Am sure this aint your real pic….or the jist isnt true….but if it is, then this is why guys are vary of this new generetaion of Naija babes….uve watched too much movies and have very little morals!

24. faith

January 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love U̶̲̥̅̊ Glory…n I loved all d comments..laf wan finish me..

25. O.S-Hughes

January 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm

A few days ago I wrote on ‘a ~perfect~ day’ , http://bit.ly/tkQs4P….. I think a lot of dates leave a sour taste in our mouths because we tend to over do things and forget there’s beauty in simplicity!!

26. A.D

January 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Ahhha, who else will it be except if not Esco himself, lol. i second every point except the spartacus 20 in 1 part, ahh esco, lol. but in addition, abeg, guys, pls, pls n please u dont have to do everything that u read or hear. Especially for first dates, the key to a pocket friendly n yet exciting date is to understand the person.
    She might want u to pick her up so as to use that time to get to know u a lil (although that might not be a good idea now as the subsidy will hinder him from even using his car, brt is the way forward mehn, lol). She might want to meet u At the chosen place so she can decide to sharply disappear if you dont meet up to her standards.
    She might find Basket mouth funny, or she might only laugh to holy Mallam’s jokes. She might even want to split costs like purpulicious n I agree to, or she might want to use the opportunity to buy a franchaise with the eatery!
    The idea of a date is to meet up with someone n get to know the mannerisms n true behavior of ur date, note true, n not ideal, pick a comfortable for both parties, the fact that conventional dates are in restaurants n cinemas or eateries doesnt mean, a game of bball isnt a date, or even just a casual unrehearsed tour of the city where u both would then discover new joints……oh sowi, subsidy, psyches.
    All im saying is be real, n generally know what kind of person ur date is, n im sure it’ll be fun.

27. dick

January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

AD ,i couldn’t agree any better.people have different likes and dislikes. there are no hard and fast rules with first dates .

28. Eerinmide

January 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm

am sori 2 say, bt titi, dnt go about glorifying those types ov things…call me old fashioned, dnt care!

29. nok10

January 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

@ Eerinmide: Thought it was just me that had a problem with that post. Thank God, thought old fashioned babes were extinct. @ Titi: Can’t believe you posted your business on a public website and included a picture, hmmm……

30. A.D

January 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Phewww, finally, thanks eerinmide n nok10 for breaking the ice, as in, i thought i was the last old fashioned gurl……i know we come to share opinions n drop our own 2 cents, buh, sweriee, ur pic is also up, i think u shared a lil too much sha……just saying oh, just saying.

31. insurance

January 5, 2012 at 6:58 pm

@ EERINMIDE, @ A.D @ NOK10,
    You guys should have ignored Titi mehn!
    she will know no one really cares about the way she just put her business up there as if its normal. we made sweet love to michael buble, it seems she is a dreamer and story teller..

32. Purpleicious Babe

January 6, 2012 at 1:33 am

came back and do not usually come bck to see comments lol.

I do not see anything wrong with titi’s comment and her gist….. maybe its becos I see it as a story rather than a business.. just saying.. After Glory did say we should share right…. pls am not trying to cause any arguments ohh….

• A.k

January 9, 2012 at 7:18 am

smh

• A.k

January 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

sometimes i think you’re 13

33. Redcarpetgoat

January 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

i tink she care less. cos i don’t seem to understand why she let out every detail including deceiving her parents/folks and even employer to get laid.
    hotel rooms and combo are not and will never be a meet for first date.

34. How to Cook a Sweet Potato

January 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hope your Christmas is warm and wonderful !

35. Chukwu-dee

January 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Nice write up, most chics nowadays are like titi.. if not the first, maybe second day to make out.. A date should be to get to know ur partner and if something can happen to you you both. I’d prefer openness and conversation.. Dry gals and one syllable chics is a definite no no for me tho! Purp-Babe, please have a sense of care, it helps in life, if not you’d feel depressed and empty, you wont realise it now cause its a gradual slip..

36. noperfectrule

January 20, 2012 at 12:10 am

Honestly, there are no rules, regulation or strategies to first dates. People are different, and depends on who. I don’t waste my time reading articles who try to give you tips for a perfect date. Upon all these rules, it can still go from perfect date to a complete disaster relationship, so it doesn’t matter sometimes. Not saying you shouldn’t notice red flags but people focus too much and put high expectation on it.
    Chill, it’s not that serious.
    I had an awkward first date with my now fiance. We met casually at an event, started talking and he asked where I wanted to go for our first date. I said, starbucks, he said okay. He was 15mins late, I paid for his drink and sandwich, and he didn’t give me any compliment. I don’t follow any rules, I just do what I feel like, so didn’t take it seriously. And, when we talk, I noticed how closely he pays attention to what I say and seems like a well behaved guy, great conversation. So, I became intrigued. He ended up traveling to China to do an internship with a company, all this time we didn’t talk. Fast forward, he came back to the states and I’m over here trying to make sense of the whole thing. He calls me up, we are talking regularly again and started dating. Two and a half years later, my birthday was around the corner, and he asked me what I wanted to do. I said, my family and my best friend will be taking me out to dinner. I get there, all of a sudden I see him there too. I became nervous because I didn’t expect to see him there but my dad kept smiling. And, he proposed to me, told me how much he loves my character and how much I meant to him. So, I guess the awkward date is the perfect date to me.

37. mena

January 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm

@no perfectrule touche bt dnt think after dt 1st date. I would wnt to see dat guy again.a.d nd erin,titi was jst trying to share smetimes pple dnt need others judging or poking in deir buz all u ave to do is listen or read.

38. Nomy

January 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

@ Titi, abegiii?! What was that?! You better not be real o, if you are, AIDS is real. Girls like you give other girls a bad name.

39. elizachee

January 23, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Can’t stop laughing.laff scatter ma belle!

40. Eni

January 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm

So much talk about dates. I guess there’s no formula that applies to everybody. Everything depends on the kind of persons you and your date are and what each person is expecting from the other.
    I had a date with this guy I met through a mutual friend. I paid for the food and drinks and even the taxi fare to and fro the venue where we had our date. It was no big deal to me. But the day after, he called me to ‘borrow’ some money from me.
    I was very suspicious. I told him I had projects of my own and I had no money to spare. He tried fixing another date but I categorically refused. My thoughts were that he’s thinks I’m desperate, foolish and I’ve got enough cash to spend around and on him especially. I wasn’t even attracted to him in the first place. However, I always try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt and a fair chance to present their case and that’s why I accepted the date with him in the first place.
    There was this other guy with whom I accepted to go on a date. He came to pick me up with 3 of his friends in the same car. He said not to worry; he’s dropping them on the way. Rather than drop them, I realized that we had moved only about 5 blocks when he stopped and said his sister lived in an apartment there and we should check on her. I told him ‘dude, I’m not going to that house and never ever call me again’ and I returned home.
    Some other guys assume that when you accept to go on a date with them, you’ve accepted to be their girlfriend. They want to hold your hand and touch your cheek or your hair or your arm. What the hell!
    Maybe everything in the scenarios I listed above will sound normal to someone else but certainly not to me. And like I said, it all depends on the kind of persons you and your date are and what each person is expecting from the other

41. Free Zumba Online

January 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

Awesome post.. I had to look it twice to understand it all though, haha!

42. Oyin

January 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm

@ noperfectrule, congrats again, dear. See you in dubai soon, I can’t wait.
    @ Titi, this your first date get part 2? sounds like a Nollywood movie.
    @ Eni, that’s a BIG NO for a first date. Seriously, men if you don’t have yourself together, don’t ask a lady out because we women judge you on a first date, if you are capable of taking care of yourself and me especially if we end up in a relationship. Don’t have to be perfect, but be responsible and put some effort in.
    Glory, you have done it again. Nice article

43. Thanh Casales

February 28, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thanks for an unbelievable publish, can study your others reviews. i appreciate your notions within this, I felt somewhat strike by this article. Merit again! You commit a terrific aspect. Portrays natures best by the fantastic data here. I believe if a greater number of people consideration for it doing this, they’d have a very better time period get the hold ofing the difficulty.

44. Cube

April 17, 2012 at 3:19 am

Dah waz gr8…. First impressions matters a lot… Guy’s, try 2 be real durin first datez…!