News

BN Exclusive: Roberto Cavalli & Vogue Italia Editor-In-Chief Franca Sozzani visit Nigeria’s Fashion Capital – Lagos

BellaNaija.com

The African fashion industry has enjoyed unprecedented growth over the last few years. In 2011, Nigeria’s fashion capital – Lagos hosted an unprecedented number of fashion weeks and number of designers and retail outlets seems to be multiplying daily.

The global fashion players are taking note and opportunities for collaboration and editorial coverage is being explored.

Just last week, Vogue Italia Editor-In-Chief Franca Sozzani was hosted by fashion insiders in Ghana. She met legendary Ghanaian designer Kofi Ansah and memebers of The WEB (an Association of Young Designers). See a video of Franca in Ghana from FashionsistaGH below.

This week, Franca is in Lagos with iconic Italian designer, Roberto Cavalli. The duo have visited several Nigerian designer’s studios, met designers, models and other fashion insiders including bloggers and fashion retailers.

Roberto Cavalli with Nigerian Models

Kike Soyode of StyleByQueens with Franca

Alongside United Nations Director Stephen Sobhani, Roberto and Franca will be special guests at a dinner party hosted by the Wellbeing Foundation Africa tonight. The event is in support of the United Nation’s Secretary General’s “Every Woman Every Child Africa” effort to engage “a collective of high-level change-actors in Nigerian fashion, art, culture, design and retail for the global startegy for Women’s and Children’s Health.

Sounds promising, what possible collaborations do you hope to see develop after this visit?

Photo Credit: Getty Images | StylebyQueens | Twitter

1. onyx

January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Franca Sozzani and Roberto Cavalli in Lagos??? Damn, it usually takes a lot to impress me but I have to say – that’s hot. It would be amazing if Vogue Italia choose to feature some pieces from Nigerian designers…

• 9ja bites

January 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Well after all the hoopla it turns out Franca was more impressed by the designers next door. Franca was quoted saying in Ghana “You have lots of potential in this country. During my stay in Africa, I visited Togo and Nigeria but it was only here in Ghana I noted an authentic sense of fashion.” So my Nigerians back to the drawing board. Work harder and be original!

• Lokpanta

January 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm

@9ja bites, you don’t get to such a position as Franca’s without knowing how to use “seductive language” and saying the right things. Do I need to explain further?

• Yoyi

January 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Why are some poeple so SAD, asin people like you? the fact that she went to Nigeria alone to see what we have is something. I watched the video, she mentioned both names. People like you are those who rub Niger with your negativity. Ass!

• Yoyi

January 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

At the point when she talked about places she had visited, where she had seen a sense of style, she wasn’t in togo or ghana based on the title of the video. She was in Lagos! You need to go back to school or to specsaver for a pair of glasses and hearing aid.

• Zara

January 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I found that comment of hers very offensive! Was even about to comment on it until I read yours.

2. cathy

January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

this is great news.

3. JO

January 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Awesome!

4. cynthia

January 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Damn…they are lucky!!

5. BIOSUPR

January 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm

In spite of the glitz and galmour the media portrays, the fashion industry has always been a business model first with creativity second. The growth of the Fashion industry in other countries has developed due to collaborations such as, joint ventures, strategic alliances and professional associations. All with a common purpose that binds them together.

It would be admirable to see Nigerian designers partnering up with other African designers from the North, South and West Africa so we can propel our on community. However it should be applauded that our brands are “networking” with international fore runners in the fashion sector. But I look forward to the day when western fashion institutes are pursuing us for our own indegenious brands and celebrating the works of our designers based on the artistic craft of our designs rather than the “African” label.

Well done to OnoBello PR for helping to develop many of Nigeria’s luxury fashion brands.

• estella

January 4, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Well said!
      Let’s not start jumping up and down just yet!

Another question is: WHY are they there in Lagos? To get more ‘inspired’ by our Nigerian fashion?

Isn’t it amazing that Christian Louboutin would create a pair of shoe with batik design and sell it for $600+, while the Nigerian designer who has the batik as even house lappa is not seeing that kind of money!

About the collabo, that is a place where Nigerian designers need to sit up! Without even a functional Fashion Association in the whole country!! What am I saying sef!??

And then, when foreign based Nigerian designers like me come home to work with those on ground, they have an attitude!! And are very hostile to an extent!

IF Nigerian designers all over the world can just come together, with a simple goal to take over the world fashion industry, a lot can be achieved!

I still say it: The western world have used up all the satin, silk, chiffon etc they can use into any and every style on earth! Right now, fashion is simply being recycled, generation after generation!
      ONE THING THE WORLD HAS NOT SEEN ENOUGH OF IS AKWETTE, ASO-OKE, BATIK ETC! let me not even mention Kente and the rest!

• LADY E

January 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

WELL WELL SAID!!! PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!

• Yoyi

January 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Basically it’s not to offer us anything but to get inspiration simple. I had experience mysel, I made a very long dress for a charity ball. A well famous fashion designer with her own tv show came into the event with the permission of the hotel manager. She rent a floor with her entourage at the hotel. I was dancing and she came to me with these people. wShe went on about how I have inspred her blah, blah, bla. As she was talking I was saying thank you and kept saying I made it. She ignored what I kept on saying, at the end she said thank you, thank and that was it. It was later my colleagues told me she had been looking at me for sometime. Well when it come to these business minded people one should thing they are there to offer anything until they actually do.

• Voyeurism Sucks

January 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thank you. And western industries do not have the interest of Africa. You should do your homework on the practices of the fashion industry before seeking approval from someone who undermines the way you are viewed in society. Lagos and Nigerians do not need the approval of the West.

6. cavalli's

January 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Fantastic news. Loves it!

7. Demmy

January 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

WOW, Franca is really wrinkled but still pretty.

8. adnyl oconnor-dauda(chicago)

January 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

the sky is the limit go go go go go NAIJA

9. Aston

January 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm

NICE!!! im really impressed!

10. Miss Y

January 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Cool. What’s the song that plays in the background? It’s lovely

11. chewunski

January 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm

the song in the background is so nice…….

• Ob Abenser

January 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

The song is ”Kabila” performed by Ghanaian singer Irene Logan

12. Joan

January 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I don’t know why, but no matter how much the fashion culture grows in Nigeria, I will never be wowed by it. I personally wouldn’t buy any Nigerian designer’s creations. I’d still just rather wear international designs, the real connoisseurs. I feel like the Nigerian fashion industry is extremely inundated with mediocrity. When i look at the majority of designs, i dont feel like thought and creativity was put into it eg Jewel by Lisa’s young line, I dont remember what it’s called. Fashion in Nigeria for now is just a fast money making scheme for some of these so called designers, so it seems. So as far as Roberto coming to Lagos? Ok! Cool! (P.S I wish i could ‘like’ Miss Y’s comment, so funny lol)

13. Estella Couture

January 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

cont.
    It is about time Nigerian designers look beyond the ‘Me, My business and I’ and look at creating another source of revenue for our country through fashion! And we can, IF we put out minds to it!

14. shanday

January 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm

@ Joan, No offense but I completely disagree with your comment. You cannot compare the international fashion Industry to the Nigerian Fashion Industry. That’s just like comparing nollywood and hollywood. Our designers are doing rather well. Deola Sagoe, Tiffany Amber, Maufechi to mention a few are talented designers whose design are making us proud. If Beyonce or some other famous celebrity wore a Nigerian designer’s creation, trust me, u would be one of the first people rushing off to get a similar outfit custom made. All we need is more exposure and I’m glad that the likes of Roberto Cavalli are tapping into this budding Industry.

• Ay.

January 6, 2012 at 1:50 am

I disagree with Joan but I would never wear anything Beyonce wears. I wear what I like depending on how I feel not because someone else is wearing it. Never assume people would do that. I sure would not.

• petrina

January 12, 2012 at 4:30 am

But what the hell are they doing in Nigeria? They’ve just run out of ideas. Is it a coincidence that Roberto is famous for using cheetah/ leopard prints for his designs. That ish screams “Africa” to me. A lot of ignorant people from the west associate Africa with cheetah/ leopard/ zoo/ wildlife. You know “Africa is a country” to a lot of these people. KMT.
      Anyway, Roberto has run out of cheetah/ leopard /cha-cha dress ideas (does that make sense? lol) what’s why he has brought himself to “Africa” to get “inspired”. You know the tribal trend is in so these people have eventually realized that Africa now exists. They have realized that there is nothing new/ inspiring in their world so why not come to “Africa”. At the end of the day, Roberto will not use any of these black models for his campaigns/runway shows. Sozanni will use a few black models to make a statement for a month or so and then racism still continues in the fashion industry.
      We get distracted too much. This is the same way we want to kick Goodluck out of office. Who else are you confident is fit to run Nigeria properly ? Don’t let me start calling the names of those presidential candidates. What matters is to have these lazy leaders hear our cry for a better Nigeria and get to work instead of stealing.

• Joan

January 23, 2012 at 12:50 am

Sorry but you are wrong. I would not wear Nigerian designs at all, I have no concern whether Beyonce or whoever wants to wear it! I think a few american celebrities have already worn some designs. It simply doesn’t captivate me, the Nigerian fashion that is. Of course I am aware of the great designers like Deola Sageo. I was not talking about those type of designers, I was referring to the mass mediocre ones who are incessantly flooding the industry with their rubbish.

15. ibo gal

January 4, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Is that Annette and Chika Elite model look past winners. Wow they must be so excited. When was this?

16. Cynthia Fayomi

January 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Really not getting the excitement factor from this…have a read of my blog guys

17. Purpleicious Babe

January 4, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I think we should patraonize our own people…

First can these designers advertise their clothing websites??? and make it international and transactional for purchase…. It might be expensive but am sure we are willing to save to expose naija creativity……

18. WhatTheHeck

January 5, 2012 at 12:17 am

see Annette clamoring for attention

19. GUUDKELLY

January 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

It was nice working on it,OB Abenser above is the publisher of FashionistaGH…..Everyone check our Videos of the Lagos Fashion Week you will love them.

• Aba

January 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

so proud of u guys!

20. wiklo

January 5, 2012 at 3:10 am

I was waiting to see Genny hanging around in one of pictures…phew!

21. wiklo

January 5, 2012 at 3:11 am

“the”

22. nkechi umeh

January 5, 2012 at 6:19 am

The foolish nigerians and the inferiority syndrome. Roberto will come to Nigeria because he wants to sell his vodka and we seem cannot get it.We are the first to talk about other peoples celeb and no one will ever talk about yours unless they have something to get out of it. The problem is the average nigerian new rich will identify with anyone as long as they are white.However, look at the old rich they don’t give a f..uk about anyone including the riyal family. Did you see any awolowo there? Models in nigeria seem to come from the very poor so seeing Roberto in nigeria is big deal to them as long as they are seen with oyibo that is ok.Moreover, we thought by now the inferioty complex will not be touching this generation.The poor no matter how rich they become will always have that syndrome that can never leave them.God save our children.

• Tobechidaniel

January 6, 2012 at 6:59 am

I like the rationale behind this reasoning. When we seek aothers benefit as opposed to solely our benefits, everyone is rewarded.
      This is not a matter strictly for Nigerians- the newly rich, most times want to be seen with a recognised name or face for more validity. It’s just a human complex.

• QQ

January 9, 2012 at 1:42 am

My dear, don’t be ignorant and arrogant. Bet you come from old money….Well, wake up and smell the coffee, your old money days are over, ok. That said, any body abroad that knows and understands who Roberto Cavalli is will be star struck wheather old money, new money, average or poor…..I really find your comment condescending.
      ps: I was a model in Nigeria and from a decent backround and so were lots of other beautiful models I worked with.

23. Juliet

January 5, 2012 at 7:07 am

W.O.W..OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I CATCH COOL.I think about time naija.good job

24. BukiOni

January 5, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’m not surprised by their visit to Lagos. Fashion trend forecasters like WGSN have identified Africa and China as being super influential right now so it’s only natural that fashion is turning a well mascaraed eye towards Naija. What African designers have to now work on is ensuring that the African aesthetic becomes more than just a passing fad, fashion can often times be soo fickle and with the continual rise of fast fashion and people’s tastes changing so quickly, it’s important that consumers are kept interested and inspired and the that the aesthetic remains relevant. I also hope that the event achieves all that the organisers hoped it would.

25. Aba

January 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

yaaaayyyy fashionistaGh on Bella! Well done Guud & Ob!!!

26. oro

January 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Maybe Roberto can helep us beg Jonathan with this fuel subsisdy palava…iranu!

27. mekhi phifa

January 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Wats d point abt ds “Complex” issue abeg is it not cool anymore 2take pic wit a Celeb? Biko y’all sld give me a break.
    I Agree wit d fact dt 9ja designers sld identify wit regular pips dt can afford their label so far its urban n chic, bcos 2focus on 9ja celebrities will NEVA make dem a household name

28. Nathaniel nunoo

January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

4 real Gh in the building. we had a great show with her.

29. ashi

January 6, 2012 at 7:35 am

love it on both ladies!

30. dannyblinkz

January 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

let’s say d fact n stop beatin around d bush.wit d situation of tings in ourcountry

31. Love for Africa

January 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

Okay, so they come to Africa … what we need to be asking is why???? I do not trust that it
    is for our benefit and we should not get carried away. As usual, the West come and ‘steal’ all our resources, now they are coming to ‘steal’ our fashion!!! I agree with Buki and Estella…

32. Macy

January 6, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Big ups to Ghana and Nigeria!!!!

33. NNENNE

January 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

@estella…Preach it ! I need not say more!

34. Estella Couture

January 7, 2012 at 1:56 am

well….. 2 days ago, I said, DO NOT jump for joy yet!
    And guess what? I am right!

This Vogue lady goes to Ghana and this is what she has to say about NIGERIAN FASHION!!!!???
    “This video could not have put a bigger smile on my face when Franca Sozzani stated clearly “You have lots of potential in this country (Ghana). During my stay in Africa, I visited Togo and Nigeria but it was only here in Ghana I noted an authentic sense of fashion”.”
    Link here: http://www.shadders.net/ghana-fashion-2/2012/vogue-italia-editor-in-chief-franca-sozzani-met-kofi-ansah-the-web-young-ghanaian-designers-in-accra
    NO be her fault! Na all the ass lickers who made her feel like a queen in Naija!

And to the one above that says she can’t wear Nigerian fashion designers’ garments……I say no comment!

35. nephetiti

January 7, 2012 at 3:02 am

i think we should not compare the nigerian fashion industry. like every industry in nigeria, once we see some growth we think we have arrived.

On the flip side, i applaud each and every Nigerian designer that has managed to stay afloat. try running a business,( not to talk of a fashion business) and see how far you go. Problems with electricity and disappointing tailors are just a few of the problems. And then you have the fickle clientelle, most of whom only want to be associated with you if your work is on the pages of Bella Naija, This Day style et al and if you’ve been to any of the various Fashion Weeks around the world. Don’t get me wrong everyone has a right to their choice of designer.

My point is this, the Nigerian Fashion Idustry is really growing and there are extremely talented designers out there ( eg Tiffany Amber, Ituen Basi, ALter Ego et al) who churn out creative and WEARABLE designs, not calabash bras and Lady-Gaga-ish looking outfits and they are doing well, they do deserve some sort of accolade. to say that there are no creative nigerian designers is just ignorance and we need to support our own where it counts. I hope I made some sort of sense.

36. @klitschko

January 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I hate Nigerians for being gullible, i hate Nigerians when they make it seem as if it has to be whit e to be right,
    I hate Nigerians when they equate black to being synonymous to lack
    God bless all bloggers that identified that these designers form Italy are only economic scavengers.
    Naija fashion is tha bomb
    All we need is hype+publicity,Hype, Hype, Hype,
    No too much international collaborations,
    Just hype, You will see that the international designers will be the ones to come and beg us for collabo and not the other way round
    Imagine Paul Smith selling Adire for 600 pounds and people rushing it like indomie.
    Fashion is a lifestyle based on taste, value appreciation and deep perception management.
    Nigeria must be liberated.

• That Not Chic

January 14, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Yes! This is the truth! You have to believe in, build up, and support (buy) your own. America didn’t ride on Europe’s coat tails when it developed its fashion industry and the EU was not flagging for its success. Fashion is a competitive business; other brands and markets (countries) are not looking for you to take their consumers, and are preparing to steal yours. If you’re going to get into fashion, know your fashion history.
      America had a flourishing fashion business in its major city (New York) which provided jobs for thousands up until the nineteen seventies when it decided to start outsourcing its production. Not only can Lagos and other cities like it have this, they need it badly. Stop worrying about Europe, Nigeria has its own unique style that will appeal to its base –Nigerians, and eventually take on mass appeal. The same way America developed American sportswear. These industries in Ghana, South Africa, and Nigeria respectively can help to grow and strengthen a middle class, but only if they realize foreigners -competitors- do not have their best interest and are willing to develop at home.

Wake the fuck up.

37. xxx

January 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

Duh! Everyone is in it for themselves, but what you do when opportunity comes your way is what matters. This is an opportunity for Nigerian designers, they should seize it, if you are not in that industry that is your own problem. Use any opportunity for exposure, they get what they want and you get what you need to step up to the next level. End of story, no one cares about their skin color, they only care that they are influential… The models are prolly thinking this is my chance for an international career, not “oyinbo”, stop pushing your insecurities on others. *Hiss. Skin color was the last thing that came to my mind when I read this article.

38. Joy

January 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I want to applaud Nigerian Designers who are working extremely hard to make it out there. It’s not easy especially with the hardships and the lack of basic necessities in Nigeria.
    I hate to compare international designers to Nigerian designers because they are selling different clothing, to different audience, cultural differences and the economy status in these different countries that these designers come from should be put into consideration.
    Italy, Paris, New York have been known for high fashion for years. So, there’s this automatic respect and acknowledgement worldwide.
    Nigerians are talented and creative group of people but it’s difficult to maximize/utilize your full potentials when there is limited resources and opportunities that only certain people have access to.
    Whether these designers came there for their profit gain or not, everybody wants opportunity, so when an opportunity comes around you, you have a choice to make use of it or not and this also applies to the models.
    Let’s learn to appreciate and encourage our own because Nigeria can’t suddenly become the fashion capital, it’s step by step. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
    When you live in a country like Nigeria, you truly live life based on the phrase; survival of the fittest.
    Stay strong, tap into your creativity, stay true to who you are and one day you will get there, might take a while but will still get there one day.

39. PJ

January 10, 2012 at 1:29 am

What Franca is simply saying is Nigerian designers are not original. To be in the real fashion world, you have to dictate fashion, you anticipate it. That involves a lot of creativity and you allowing your imagination to take you places. Nigerian designers seem to do a lot of runway copies. They don’t explore the beautiful nature around them to inspire their creativity. I personally think Nigerians like to dress up nice but honestly as she said Ghanians tend to be more detailed and original where fashion is concerned. Just my thoughts

• petrina

January 15, 2012 at 12:51 am

A lot of Ghanaians I have seen cannot put outfits together. They just throw bright colors on their bodies and get excited. It is just like saying Canadians dress better than Americans. Stop it!

40. chi

January 10, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I agree with Joy. However, one of the biggest problem with Nigerians is we focus on quantity instead of quality. We emulate too much of what is popular, what will make us fast money as opposed to focusing, nurturing our originality and creativity. It shows in our movies, clothing, etc. It makes sense for Ghana to be on the list. I’ve been to Ghana, they are much slow pace than Nigeria but when you pay close attention you will see a lot of potentials coming out of that country. So, Nigerians let’s be patient enough. tap into our own natural resources, learn how to use it and let it just naturally shine.

41. Chi Chi

January 14, 2012 at 6:13 am

Congratulations Ghana for showing the beauty and pride associated with African fashion; challenging ideas and showing creativity. It’s high time African fashion be taken seriously.

42. Voyeurism Sucks

January 14, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Large consumerism is never going to come from Europe or America, this is something all Africans need to wake up to, and realize there are also very negative stereotypes portrayed of Africa in those worlds that are holding you back from fully tapping into those markets. That aside. Brands should focus on locale industry and development, and selling to Nigerians, South Africans, and Ghanaians etc. but peoples of Africa. Grow into a successful locale brand (the same way Michael Kors and Donna Karen did) and know that Europe is not your friend. They are waiting for African countries to gain in purchasing power (which is happening swiftly) and then they will monopolize your apparel industry and consumers. And they already have a leg in; how many Nigerians do you see wearing garments that are made and produced in Nigeria? We need to see our countrymen wearing clothes produced and owned by Nigerians, Ghanaians, and South Africans. Ghana has a rich history in textiles, but it does not have Nigeria’s commercial film industry which has always been a tool for creating brand recognition and endorsement.

43. That Not Chic

January 15, 2012 at 12:06 am

America had a flourishing fashion business in its major city (New York) which provided jobs for thousands up until the nineteen seventies when it decided to start outsourcing its production. Not only can Lagos and other cities like it have this, they need it badly. Stop worrying about Europe, Nigeria has its own unique style that will appeal to its base –Nigerians, and eventually take on mass appeal. The same way America developed American sportswear. These industries in Ghana, South Africa, and Nigeria respectively can help to grow and strengthen a middle class.

44. Sincere

January 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Nigerians are funny o!, this video was shot in Ghana in Kofi Ansah’s studio…. “Just last week, Vogue Italia Editor-In-Chief Franca Sozzani was hosted by fashion insiders in Ghana”. Why don’t you just accept that Ghanaians it

45. Frederick moses osadjere

January 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Honestly whilst it is cool to celebrate the visits to Naija of some of the biggest names in the fashion World. Lets look at the whole picture objectively we will find a field of endeavour that brims with talent yet lacks the platform on and from which it should operate for instance there is a fashion district in Johannesburg and Capetown is the design capital for 2014 both cities are in South Africa, also their calender of events for 2012 has dates for events that brings in some of the best talents in the World to their shores,when it comes to ours it is just one or two names who may be visiting for personal and not professional reasons. Also imitation and not true creativity seem the be trend for so many so-called fashion designers who see an entry into fashion as a means of economic survival than a display of originality and creativity. Yes the fashion industry is a big employer and money spinner for some countries but what must not be missed is the different ways the industry is fragmented and yet connected at the same time, hence the reason why though London a respected fashion centre bursting with creativity and big names do not compare to New York and Paris in the money stakes when returns on investment is taken into consideration and as to Naija designers needing to look inwards to find inspiration and thus build a market for themselves in the process they need look no further than to see India as the perfect example because the designers there work with materials particular to their country and what is more is that the likes of Roberto Cavalli is a fan of the Indian fashion industry. Need i say more?

46. AfroDiva

January 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

This is great news for the Nigerian fashion industry. I hope they see this as a challenge to step up their game in other to make their brands desired internationally. Kudos guys, you are on the right path!