News

BN Cuisine With Chef Fregz: Sourcing For Produce

“WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INGREDIENTS?”

In my short stay on this earth I’ve been asked that question like a million times and I’m tempted to start giving out a standard issue response.

“I GROW THEM IN MY YARD”

Okay, I kid, I kid! My actual response is “around! everywhere around us”. I’m going to share my source of ingredients/produce with you lovely folks of BellaNaija.

First of all we have to dispel the notion that because it’s “oyibo” food the ingredients are really expensive or even too hard to find.It’s not true, and this post is to show you where you can get different things in LAGOS.

Shop Perfect is located on 25b Olutunda Street /Ade Akinsanya Street Ilupeju, and the other market is somewhere on Johnson Street, also in Ilupeju.

For people on the Island, there’s a full scale market under that bridge at Law School. You know that bridge across from the traffic light that’s at the intersection of Ozumba Mbadiwe and the Falomo Bridge… yes, that’s the one.

There’s an amazing vegetable market there. They stock everything from celery to leeks, fresh oregano to basil, courgettes to lemons, avocados to fresh sweetcorn, parsley to coriander. It’s all there. I usually get rocket for my salads there and the lettuce is ALWAYS fresh. The also have bok choi when its in season. They also have the regular carrots potatoes etc

Another market you can go if you’re on the Island is the Jakande Market, Lekki

This was where I made my first discovery of a fresh vegetable market where the produce was bursting with colour and so fresh the dirt on the vegetable was still so much because they just brought it from the farm!

This market is located in Jakande estate area in the model market where art is sold. To get there you need to make a right turn of the express just by KFA events after the Oando petrol station. The road is pretty bad so I suggest you go with high car because the road is bad and when it rains the whole place is messy. So if you have a truck, I’d suggest you go with it.

Of all the markets I have cited, the produce at Jakande market in Lekki are comparatively the cheapest.

Last week I told you about Shoprite and Oasis. I also get some of my vegetable and herbs from these two stores but I’m going to talk extensively about stores and supermarkets soon in the concluding parts of the “Sourcing For Produce” series.

This weekend, go shopping and try something fun and exciting; then take a picture and email it to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com

Have a  flavour filled weekend
Ciao!

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste. He also caters special events and private dinners. To find out more visit www.cheffregz.com. Chef Fregz provides premium private catering services. For bookings and orders email [email protected] – @Chef_Fregz on Instagram and Twitter. You can check out the Chef Fregz Page on Facebook as well.

1. darkhorse

June 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You are so correct about sourcing for produce. Nigeria is an agricultural goldmine. I love salads, so you can imagine what can be gotten at the market. Initially, as a jjc they market women wanted me to buy everything in kilos. After constant fighting with them, lol. They let me have the little quantity I wanted. Can you help out with recipes for feta and mozzarella chesse.?

2. ArabianPrincess

June 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm

U gotta visit Mile-12 and Jakande Market too in Ketu axis one of these days. U will be surprised at d extent of fresh veggies U can find. My friend bought Zucchini and Aubergine d oda day and I cldnt believe my eyes.
    P.S…U may also need rainboots to navigate d market cuz of dirt, mud and rain.
    Meanwhile, I ask you again. Do U have a cookery school/class?

• Homely

June 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Atoke, y not let chef fregz answer questions on here, so BN readers interested can also benefit, Thanks.

• Fregene Gbubemi

June 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

hey Arabian Princess I know about those markets… but i felt these ones would be more accesible for people who want shop comfortably and aren’t buying in bulk. but thanks for mentioning it anyways

3. Bellaxtian

June 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Coooool………wonder where I can find a good market like that in abj…..

4. es

June 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

a graduate of covenant University, proud of u dear

5. MizV

June 15, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Great and insightful read

visit http://www.cakesbymizvuitton.blogspot.com

6. allolies

June 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm

@arabian princess….u are so on point!I am a caterer and i source from Mile 12 and ketu markets….Mile 12 for food stuffs(straight from the north)food stuffs are the cheapest here in lagos,and for fruits,Ketu market(this is where villagers come to sell)…..The prices are very cool and u have a lot of alternatives to choose from…But never forget ur thick socks and a pair of black boots….The market is really messy especially now that is raining….Bless….

7. Catherine

June 16, 2012 at 1:54 am

Farmers market maitama as well as Utako market in Abuja have a great selection of fresh vegetables

8. anon

June 16, 2012 at 2:34 am

Loving you oh!!!

9. purplepearl

June 16, 2012 at 4:05 am

9ja may not be perfect but we have perfect food…..See full grown pineapple and fruits….. in this part of the world where i live everything is so fake….. miss home

10. Doosh

June 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm

yup Catherine is right..Utako Market and Farmer’s market are the best places to get fresh veggies in town…if you are a caterer or really want to buy in bulk and take a long drive…there are quite a few village markets on airport road….

11. ArabianPrincess

June 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

@Chef Fregz, no sweat, mentioned that market cuz I live close to it. Twill be insane for me to come down to VI/Jakande to source produce. @alollies…spot on! For those who live ind North, fresh produce aint a big deal, just take a ride thru Airport Road on a sunday, U wld get wat U want or if U have relatives livin’ in J-Town. How I miss my NYSC days, everythin’ I ate was fresh from the farm *sighs*!
    @Chef Fregz, for the last time, do U have a cookery class/school? *rme*

12. Joy

January 6, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Thanks for the information Chef. Please do you know any open market(s), or stores where I can buy seeds (e.g flaxseed, chia seeds, etc), and Nuts, and dried fruits also? Thank you.