News

Lagos Hotels are the 2nd Most Expensive in the World – Hogg Robinson Group

Hotels in Lagos have been ranked as the second most expensive in the world according to a recent research by the Hogg Robinson Group (HRG).

With an average room rate of £217.05 (N53,267), Nigeria’s commercial hub was found to be the second most expensive location.

According to a report on the Hogg Robinson Group website, the high volume of business travellers connected with the oil industry and people’s preference for five-star accomodation due to security issues were the reasons for the high rates.

Lagos emerged as the second most expensive destination due to the high volume of inbound business travel connected with the oil industry. Travellers to Lagos are also conscious of the city’s well-documented security issues and are more inclined to stay in five-star accommodation. Security is a significant concern in Lagos, so business travellers are advised only to stay in one of the few, high-end hotels in the oil-rich city.

Moscow, the Russian capital, emerged as the city with the highest hotel rates, an average of £258.11. In the third place behind Lagos was Geneva with average hotel rates of £215.92.

The Hogg Robinson Group is an international corporate services company that takes a biannual survey of hotel room rates for key business destinations across the world to provide a dynamic insight into global business travel behaviours.

What do you think about the reasons for Lagos’ high hotel rates – high volume of inbound travellers and preference for five-star accomodation due to security issues?

Photo Credit: www.orbitz.com

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. hotchick

August 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Tons of reasons why.

2. MichelleWuChun

August 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

The reasons why it’s that expensive is because they have to use the polluted generators to give power supply and other proper countries have constant power supply. It’s really sad. You don’t find hotels here in the United States running generators so there you have it.

3. Chattyzee

August 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

So why are we not feeling the impact on the economy.

• Ginika

August 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

My dear oº°˚ ˚°ºoo because the money is leaving the economy. The 5 star hptels are mostly owned by foreigners, they are not reinveasting into the economy but exporting their profits and gains

4. Darkhorse

August 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Over heads is what makes it expensive, not the overall hotel experience. The rooms are more of a better word, tacky! Service is abysmal and food is wickedly overpriced. The hoteliers look for every way to over bill you. The foreign partners know the oil industry will more than make up, so they are content with the way things run.

5. chinco

August 19, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Nigerian cities are one of the most expensive to live in generally so its not just the hotels, its everything. SAD!!!

6. Sweets

August 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

I agree 100%, and for the quality of the service you get, its beyond shocking. I was in Lagos recently for work, and I stayed at ProfessionalTea Hotel (5bucks for who deciphers it 1st. Lol). My trips to Nigeria have always been for family reasons, so I haven’t had the displeasure of staying in a hotel before. First and foremost, the room was priced at the equivalent of £450 a night. I kept on looking at the bill, and looking and it, and looking at it again. The standard was the type you would at best get at Premier Inn in the UK, or the Accor group in France. Novotel or Ibis, is even going too far. The equivalent of a £450 per night hotel anywhere in Europe, Asia, The Middle East, or North America, even Australia and New Zealand is super top notch. So to pay that for a hotel in Lagos, I rushed back to the room to check if the metal furnishings were gold plated, because for a hotel of that price in Dubai, you can bet your ass that it would be gold plated, or the bed sheets would be thousand count Egyptian cotton. Or the curtains would be raw silk etc. Where do I start with, with the food. Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck restaurant is not even that expensive, and that is a 3 star Michelin restaurant. The whole time my foreign colleagues were exclaiming about was the cost of everything, and being their 1st time in Nigeria, for once, I couldn’t defend the place. Suffice to say, my company spent more money for a 4day trip, that we would have spent for a one week plus trip in Dubai, and that’s saying something considering what we were paying for. I think it is just crazy, but when you look at it, a lot of the big money that is spent in Nigeria, does not come from honest means, so of course, they can afford to pay such amounts, and the hotels will gladly charge it. I still can’t wrap my mind around the cost of a bottle of coke. Suffice to say, any more business trips to Nigeria will involve the highest level of authorisation at my company before it is approved. If i start on the Transcorporation Hotel in Abuja, I will not finish today.

• ij

August 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

I think that the reason behind the unnecessary high cost of hotels in Naija most of the times has nothing to do with better quality but the pretentious nature of everything in the country.
      ah ah £450 will get you a solid superior queen room at the Dorchester inc of tax , they also throw in a printer, fax, scanner, copier just for good measure

• Lola

August 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

My dear, thank you o. My last trip to the above named hotel also cost £350 a night. I kept wishing, I was given cash, instead, so I could spend it wisely. When I made a note of the cost in my report, I was told due to secuirty reasons, my company was advised to use that hotel, so, thats the end with that, and we will continue using them. Oga o. You hit the nail on the head, pretentious indeed. Everything must be set at a high class price. Even the best hotels in the world, have some averagely priced hotel rooms. £450 a night in Dubai, will get you a room at the Palm Jumeerah in Dubai, for sure. MSchew

• Muktar Aliyu

October 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Well said. I was at the Radisson in Lagos for a meeting/dinner and a bottle of Fayrouz (normally priced same as plastic coke bottle) was going for N700 ($4.5)!! It was absolutely ridiculous. I looked around the people there and wondered if they saw what I saw. Almost all the countries you listed in your comaprison are places that I’ve been to, and I don’t care what the overheads are, average of $350 for hotel room is beyond unreasonable. The overheads is not the issue in my view, the colossal pilfering and looting by people all over Nigeria is the real reason behind those astronomical prices; a politicial or oil pirate can pay $1000 per night, because it’s really NOT their money they’re spending! I’m a Director in a prominent Property Development company, we’ve built over 5,000houses in twenty years of operation…but I still would NEVER spend a night at any of these ‘High-End’ Hotels. By the way, is ‘Professional Tea’ a ‘Protea’? If it is…you owe me five bucks!

7. @ajiriavae

August 20, 2012 at 3:04 am

Unfortunately, it’s true but then can you really blame them? I can imagine the costs associated with running a hotel in Nigeria in general but Lagos in particular. The only thing is that, that not withstanding, if you have to charge that much for a hotel room, then at least up your game, especially with your services. While you may argue that it’s not your fault and you don’t really have too much of a choice, you can make sure that when I call down for food, I don’t have to wait one hour for it and that the general experience is more relaxing for me.

8. JS

August 20, 2012 at 3:12 am

cost of maintenance and the general notion of na only rich person fit stay for hotel. evry were else around the world the average cost of hotel is smehwere arnd 50 usd. nd dt is evn d price 4 an uber gud hotel

9. Asiasands

August 20, 2012 at 5:20 am

symptons of a false economy…

10. Jessica

August 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

@Sweets
    ProfessionalTea Hotel is Protea Hotel. Now where is my 5bucks?

11. pfunk

August 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

It’s surprising that hotels in developing countries like Nigeria are expensive.This is a country with a very less impressive transport system,shortage of power supply and the airports lack the right technology. I still find it puzzling that the hoteliers have the audacity to inflate prices. That’s my 2 cent

12. brandigest

August 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

You can’t run a hotel without constant power supply. Try and rely on EPA and see how you will lose customers. Again the Tax they pay is enormous. So the customer has to pay for the huge cost in running business. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

13. faith

August 22, 2012 at 12:11 am

The Nigeria mentality iS…if its not expensive, its not orinal or hIgh class…so pple just unnecessarily add prices to goods n service..

14. Pole