News

Report on “Skin Lightening” in Nigeria: Battabox Enlightens Nigerians on the Dangers & Side Effects of Skin Lightening Products

In June 2012, the World Health Organisation released a report on the danger of mercury in skin lightening soaps and creams which revealed that Nigerians are the highest users of such products.

According to the report, 77 per cent of Nigerians use such products on a regular basis. This is followed by Togo with 59 per cent; South Africa, 35 per cent; and Mali, 25 per cent.

The report raised awareness on the side effects of skin bleaching which range from skin irritations to cancer, skin rashes, swelling of the skin, seizures, numbness, pain tremors and memory loss. In more severe cases, the adverse effects of inorganic mercury — a common ingredient found in skin lightening soaps and creams include kidney damage, reduction in the skin resistance to bacterial and fungal infections, anxiety, depression, psychosis and peripheral neuropathy.{click here for a full report and pictures on ireporterstv}

Further spreading this awareness, BattaBox.com owned by former CNN Correspondent, Christian Purefoy has released a video titled Report on “Skin Lightening” in Nigeria.

In the video, the camera was taken to stores to see some popular bleaching creams which are being used by Nigerian women. Also, some Nigerian men spoke about their preferred skin colour and most of them said they like “chocolate” skinned ladies.

Trisha Oseafiana, a chemistry graduate spoke about the various means of skin bleaching – creams, soaps, pills and injections – and their side effects.

“All these pills, soaps and injections people are using have side-effects. It starts with skin irritations, burns and – before you know it, it develops into cancer.”

Please watch the video and share your thoughts.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Dark and Proud

September 21, 2012 at 6:09 am

1st 🙂 and loving my ebony skin!

• Www.myHairmyBeauty.wordpress.com

September 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ok ladies, toning and bleaching ARE NOT the same thing. toning, ideally is supposed to get RID of sun damage, while bleaching is using STRONG chemicals to change one’s natural color. Going from black to white. U can get rid of sun damage with AHA, BHA, and other natural lighteners.
      As an esthetician, black women need to understand that bleaching is very dangerous to your skin. All those carcinogenic chemicals enter ur blood stream and go to other parts of your body. This is NOT a love yourself speech, but it’s about your health.
      Read MORE on our blog, http://www.myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

• I Bleach! I don't care

September 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I bleach big time! I’m an addict and I love it! I’m now very light skinned and beautiful 🙂 haters will always hate

• Molade Okenuga

September 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

Continue not caring. When cancer comes knocking, lets see if you’ll be caring by then….Ode…

• I Bleach! I don't care

September 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Molade, back to sender! It’s you cancer will come knocking for not me

• Zara

September 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Ignorance is bliss! If you’re bleaching to be more beautiful then I have a shocker for you…bleaching only brings out your ugliness!

• Vee

September 25, 2012 at 10:38 am

Slave mentality.

• Gabrielle

September 26, 2012 at 12:39 am

lol wow

• jollybabe

September 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Wait for the early wrinkles,dear,and lets see if you will be laughing then.

• Jemilat

May 20, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Pls watch can I use to tone my skin

2. simi

September 21, 2012 at 6:19 am

It’s so funny White people tan to get black and black people bleach their skin to get white, nobody is content with their skin colour! I am proud to be a dark chocolate woman and every African woman should be proud of their skin colour!! because God blessed us with a really Good Skin Color, EMBRACE IT it and LOVE IT!!!!

• iCROSSmyHeart

September 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Tanning is not the same as bleaching. Tanning indicates economic wealth. In the the mid-20th century, white people who came back tanned during the Winter months showed that they could afford to travel to where the sun is to get tanned. Also, tanning in some parts of China shows that the person is poor. Because only poor people worked the fields and by virtue of their tanned skin showed that they lacked economic wealth.

Skin bleaching demonstrates that blacks (and Asians) are not content with their skin color because there is an inherent struggle to appear desirable. Why? Dark skin means one is ugly. One is not good enough. That is why in Nigeria, if one is light-skinned, they say you have beautiful skin even though said individual has acne issues. That is mixed girls or boys are considered beautiful regardless of how they ACTUALLY look.

Tanning is an economic issue. Skin-bleaching is an inferiority complex complicated with economic power. So white people are not trying to look black. They are trying to appear as though they are rich to other white folks. Black and other minorities are trying to be white to black and white folks, because to look white is to have the perks of being light-skinned. Of course, one is deluded to think that they can have access to economic wealth with a bleached skin.

• name

September 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I think its high time bella naija created the like button. anyway here goes ‘LIKE’

• mini

September 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I second that.———LIKE

• chidi

September 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Tanning indicates economic wealth?!!!!!! what in in world are you talking about Dear?

• ego

September 24, 2012 at 1:42 am

You are talking absolute crap! I suppose tanning creams were made for the same purpose then? The fact is they don’t want pale skin and prefer it tanned and a few shades darker. It’s only a few like Madonna and co that keep their pale skin. Stop giving false history lessons as back in the day, tanned skin in the western world actually indicated that you were ‘working class’. You won’t catch the aristocrats or monarchs with tanned skin, holiday or not! It is only now that it has become fashionable amongst all classes of people and many use tanning creams and tanning booths, in the same way black people use bleaching creams.

• Purpleicious Babe

September 25, 2012 at 10:15 am

I beg to differ…to an extent some people do it not for economical wealth but for other reasons beyond this.
      but nice info…

Nice video, very informative…. keep going batter box. and the lady in the video will look good as a presenter, she speaks well but pls next time mention the names of the pills, injections etc (it shows in depth research). Better still, have links on skin bleaching for people to learn from…

• Charlene

July 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm

What if we chose to look at bleaching indicating economic wealth? Bcz most women today spend vulgar sums of money to bleach!

• Clement Adebayo O.

August 13, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Bleaching is a sign of how regret & ungrateful you are to God for been made in His Image, nor one of those domestic or bush white pigs. You simply join the devil to accuses God of imperfection, especially when it comes to creating you as He was pleased.

3. homely

September 21, 2012 at 6:37 am

BN, pls for those of us that can’t view this video due to crappy network, could u kindly give a summary of the video. Thanks.

4. kem

September 21, 2012 at 8:39 am

its about time u know, ladies get informed…too many blacks turned white, some old age will be disaster ohhhhhh

5. Ohgey

September 21, 2012 at 8:41 am

Helppppp!! Hian! I use Clear Nature oo! Nt d body milk, but d body lotion. I bought it bcoz of it’s natural seeming ingredients! Please tell me, is it a bleaching cream? I’ve been using the bottle I bought for over 3 months now X_x..

6. OmogeNaija

September 21, 2012 at 8:45 am

Na wah o, pills and injection dey for bleaching? Oga o.
    I got a picture a while ago, dark, lighter, lightest, I couldn’t believe my eyes. We should just try to be content with who we are

• Queen

September 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Beyonce, Rihanna, and nicki minaj use the bleach injections,see how their skin turned white like oyinbo out of nowhere 🙁 very sad :p

• isi

April 26, 2016 at 11:15 pm

You do know that they’re bi-racial/multiracial yeah? Lmao! Smh

7. Traditionalbay

September 21, 2012 at 8:50 am

i just hope they will hear!. when u watch Yoruba movies, u’ll know what it is to bleach…as in, 92% of both their male and female actors bleaches big time. i don’t know where pple got the notion from that until u are fair in complexion u r not fine. i just tire jare.

• Nike

September 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Please, lets stop naming tribes because it is a known fact that most naija girls bleach, regardless of tribe. Yes, toning creams have an element of hydroquinone which is also a bleaching agent so I advise you cut those out as well. In Nigeria, we believe that its only fair ladies that are pretty. Girls, change must start with us. No man will love us until we love ourselves just as we are.

8. joy

September 21, 2012 at 9:18 am

Let them go ahead an bleach the reality of life will come to them when they’re old when they can no longer bleach again. Agadi nwayi gama ihe omere onwe ya mgbe okara nka.

9. Oma

September 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

I don’t believe all these white people who knw us more than we knw ourselves. Smh. I knw people bleach in Nigeria, but for them to say Nigerians are the highest users of bleaching cream is a quite crazy. Clearly they ddnt take the statistics in Asian countries like India and China. Na then dem go knw say bleaching pass bleaching.

• nickyminaj

September 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

And who are the biggest producers of these cream (certainly not Nigeria). If its so bad and harmful why are they allowed to produced them and sell

• oyda

September 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

well it is about the same logic as smoking cigarettes… bleaching creams are known to be harmful in the long run but usage is still based on the discretion of the buyer!! people that buy this things do it at their own risk! while the producers cash in $$$$$

• Oma

September 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

*Quite crazy. Forgive the mini rant

• Oma

September 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Asians bleach more than africans for sure.
      disagree with the stats.
      Abeg! i loooove my colour.

10. babe

September 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

naija sha dey bleach well well o. My friend that was dark in the uni by the time we went to law school ehnn i was scared becos she was almost as fair as Tonto Dikeh o. I was speechlessss, its sad cos she jst looked ugly with her bleached skin and veeeerry long fake hair. Sad sad sad.

11. Teeenaaa

September 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

The trend is so common in naija, its really bad cos wen old age comes knocking.. Hnmmm!! wen u see yoruba movies, u’ll keep wondering if d criteria 4 acting is wen u’re light skinned!!

12. efe

September 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

a WORD is enough for the wise.l advise people use baby lotions or cream

13. toyin

September 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

I thinking toning creams are fine such as clear essence

they have high spf to prevent from the damage of the sun
    and they even out skin tones so you have one even colour across

I have been using it for 10years now and wahalli my skin is as even and tonned as butter

• ao

September 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Clear essence does not have the toxic ingredients such as mercury. I view it as a product line that is meant to even the complexion and not to bleach the user. The ingredients are simply not strong enough to give the bleaching effect from dark chocolate color to ivory color.

• jane

September 23, 2012 at 4:09 am

but clear essence has hydroquinone in high percentages,and this chemical has been tagged carcinogenic and is a major component in bleaching creams

14. Neo

September 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Even this interview subject looks like she is rubbing something. if not bleaching at least toning.

• Trisha

September 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hello Neo, funny enough I do not use any cream at all; normal, bleaching or toning, not that I see anything wrong in maintaining your complexion. It only becomes an issue when you use bleaching creams that contain harmful chemicals like Hydroquinone, Mercury and Benzoyl peroxide.
      I’m naturally fair, from head, to my fingers and my toes. I’m not a fan of creams and a few other beauty products, I just wear my make up, and i’m good to go. If you do not believe, come and see me physically and know why I was interviewed 🙂

• Cha cha

July 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Are you sure you ain’t taking pills or injections? maybe gluthatione and you probably know the name of the pills cos from your body language, you lied when you were asked the name of the pills.

• Disagree

September 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Soooo, anyone who isn’t extremely dark skinned must be “rubbing something”? It is not right to victimise anyone who is light skinned and immediately accuse them of bleaching. There ARE still some naturally light skinned people. And they are just as beautiful as the naturally dark skinned ones. I know Nigerians have gone crazy with the bleaching but the accusations of it are even more out of control.

15. Bimboty

September 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

Please does QEI bleach and what are the other creams that bleach? What are the best creams and soaps are best for chocolate coloured ladies . Also what creams would be suitable for fair ladies

16. Bimboty

September 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

Please does anyone know the harmful contents in these creams that bleach people so as to avoid buying them as you might not know what cream to buy

17. Bimboty

September 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

I am chocolate in color and would love to maintain my color,please what cream do you advise i buy that does not bleach rather maintains the color and really smoothens the skin. Please i need honest answers here especially if you have used the cream and it is tested and trusted by you???Let the answers flow

• ao

September 21, 2012 at 12:20 pm

You should try a glycolic acid based product line. It will not bleach you, but will exfoliate your skin, revealing newer skin which is brighter. It is also a safe product to use during pregnancy. The glycolic acid will fight lines, wrinkles, pimples, and fade dark spots. Be careful in selecting the right percentage of glycolic acid because it can irritate skin if it is too high. Do your research well. I use 25% on my face at night, but I have a high tolerance for glycolic acid. For my body I use the Juice Organics firming lotion which contains an AHA cocktail including glycolic acid. Also, you need a good spf for face and body and apply at least 15 minutes before exposing yourself to the sun.

• laide

September 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

mercury and hydroquinine

• kemi

April 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm

my best advice for all women of color is to use sun screen. dont take your melanin for granted. skin is beautiful when it is clean and glows. my aunt who taught me every skin secret i know is very dark skinned but she glows and looks way younger than her 48yrs. if you can afford it, get a haman every month. black skin needs to be exfoliated regularly, but over exfoliation also has an adverse effect. Always shower at night and use a rich moisturizer and do take supplements esp vit c in at least 1000mg. eat healthy (notice how igbo girls have one of the most beautiful skin?) and if u remain consistent and dedicated, te compliments will flow. i’ve always had beautiful glowing skin. i tried lightening products and damaged my usual flawless face. now i have to spend money for facials to get it back again. QEI is a great product. makari is a big scam. and remember to moisturize with oil, olive oil is better than most beauty products. shea butter and coconut as well. use them at night.

18. ex bleacher

September 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I ve been dere before and know what it it,green vein,and all what not.thou my face look quiet sweet,but deep down,I was scare to go back to my former skin…scared of been ugly,scorn etc.later on I couldn’t keep on anymore,I could hardly keep my feet forward because of the effect it hard on me.after graduation I took the bold step to stop it as I change environment.now I have gotten back to a near perfect creamy skin,everyday wen I woke up and look at my skin,I wonder.people admire me more now.it still remain one of the greatest decision I ever made!

19. Traditionalbay

September 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

u made the rite choice. Change starts from the inside.

20. Bimboty

September 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Please can anyone still suggest what creams chocolate colored ladies should go for that doesnt bleach? Thank you ao,i will check the juice organics firming lotion out.

Please does QIE bleach???

• lilz

September 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm

jergens and cocoabutter

• Mssexy

September 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

QEI has hydroquinone that I know very well, Makari is better, they dont have bleaching creams but toning creams, the good thing is they have cream for dark color, fair color, chocolate color and even babies, my kids use the baby cream and soap, even me i use it wt my husband and its d best cause u notice d softness immediately, its nice and creamy esp for people wt dry skin.
      if u smell a cream with hydroquinone u will know!

• iyo

September 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm

so you sell Makari…c os am wondering this your advert o

• BB

May 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

original QEI does not contain hydoquinone. i stay in england and the have assign shop u can get the product. it is expensive because it contain veg extract. there are fakes out there, qei will not turn brown when exposed. also selling and displaying hq is not permitted. this is to let u know that it doesnt contain hq. Looking beautiful and staying beautiful is not cheap. i dont support bleaching, but u have to maintain your skin and make it glow. drink a lot of fluid, take vitamin supplement and avoid too much exposure to the sun.

21. sister in the Lord

September 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I watched a documentry on CNN on the bleaching industry in India, theirs is ridiculous because to them, lighter skin portrays a higher social status.
    The documentary showed various TV adverts the passed the message: get a lighter skin and get that job, man, or stardom. There are even bleaching products for men. Nigeria has come to that level…….yet

22. praisy

September 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

can anyone tell if QEI range of beauty products bleach has displayed in interview? I beg I need answers please. thank you.

• Mssexy

September 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

yes it does, big time!

23. Zinnia

September 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I think people should strive to love and appreciate their skin. Dark skin people love your skin; black is beautiful. Fairness is not the definition of beauty.

Even some fair skin folks still bleach; I wonder why. I’m light skin and these are my skin beauty regimen:
    1. Dove moisturing cream bar: I love the moisturing feel on my body.
    2. Natural oils: a mix of shea butter(ori), coconut oil(adiagbon) and olive oil. This mix nourishes my body and I don’t have to worry about the harm of chemicals.

I’m encouraging people to switch to natural products; let’s give our bodies the natural treatments. You too can create your own body oil.

Love yourself the way you are!

24. Bimboty

September 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

@aoJuice please is “Organics firming lotion'” a name of a cream you are suggesting for chocolate people?

• ao

September 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Yes. Go to http://www.juicebeauty.com and review all the products. It is an organic product line and very safe.

25. Nems

September 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I can understand why some people choose to lighten thier skin, over time and sun exposure the skin gets duller and darker. Some people just want brighter skin and that can be acheived by using suncreen simple. I use sunscreen and baby oil everyday, i live in England and I am LIGHTER THAN ALL MY SIBLINGS both parents are dark btw. I think the SUN is the Culprit. Skip bleaching and use sunscreen!!

26. LL

September 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Beautiful skin is regardless of colour. For those wanting to maintain clear, supple, well moisturised skin, the cream you use is secondary. Beautiful skin comes from within. Rest, eat right, and exercise often to rid your system of toxins. Invest in a good sunscreen of at least spf 15. Take water often to avoid dehydration as this will give you a dry pasty look. rest well and keep you face clean by bathing well and regularly. As much as possible, avoid too much product which will clog your pores. When you can, go make-up free. It also helps to keep your hair clean as dirty hair usually affects the cleanliness of the face. With all these, a basic moisturiser will do.

27. wale

September 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

A beg, the lady we dey talk sef don dey tone small small. Did you notice how she wanted the 411 on the best creams with the fastest results? Bleaching men… a ala gov alao akala and alafin of oyo.
    We men still prefer women that are bright and toned…

• Msunderstood

September 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

Nah, check out her knuckles. She’s naturally fair, u can tell.

28. Nike

September 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

The injections are shots of glutathione and the pills are a stronger version of glutathione. Ladies, anything that is powerful enough to change your skin colour is also powerful enough to kill you. Please use your heads. This is why people are dying of cancer, liver and kidney failure and we don’t know that the genesis of it. Please be smart!

• Valerie

March 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Do your research before u start mouthing off, babe. Glutathione is an anti-oxidant composed of three amino acids (glycine, glutamic acid and cystein). It protects cells from toxins such as free radicals that cause blemishes and skin pigmentation. It is the best form of keeping the level of Glutathione high in our body to strengthen the immune system, reduce the chances of developing cancer, protect us against heart disease and slows down the aging process. The known side effect of taking Glutathione is whitening of the skin. So actually the whitening is just a ‘side effect’ of the drug which actually HELPS u.. Glutathione is actually a GOOD thing and doesn’t have any side effect except lightening. However, if taken in high doses or self-administered, well, that’s another story. I truly hope y’all are more enlightened now. Glutathione is really the best way to stay healthy. The lightening is just a lovely bonus. if you don’t want it, u can darken back down by sun-bathing or wearing lotion that enables dark skin.
      I’m a dermatologist. ‘v got my practice in Lagos.
      You can email me if anyone has any more questions. Im not selling myself. You can use whatever derm you wanna. I’m just offering free consultation (on this matter only) coz i realize a lot of people are sorta really ignorant the matter

• EFFELL

September 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Valerie is very correct. Glutathione is a natural anti-oxidant that is required (and good) for the body. It is actually prescribed and used to treat various ailments. Guys….if you have access to Bella Naija, then you also have access to lots of valuable info on the net. JUST READ (and widely too).

• Johnson Esther

March 7, 2015 at 8:57 am

good morning valerie…I am glad you are a dermatologist willing to offer free counsel on this issue. I have a little skin issue. I use nivea body cream and i am naturally very fair…i had a pimple breakout sometime ago and i used funbact A triple action cream to get rid of the pimples. Recently, i noticed my knuckles were appearing bleached and people started to ask if i was bleaching….other parts of my body are naturally fair…only my knuckles appear bleached….i have never used bleaching cream before.. I even had to stay without rubbing any body cream for about a year….but still no change…my knuckles still appear bleached….Before i started using nivea body cream i used pears baby lotion….Pls i would appreciate your advice on what the problem is and how to get rid of the bleached knuckles. Thank you very much.

29. Hope

September 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

@Bimboty, Cocoa Butter Formula SPF 15 Body Lotion is good for you if you live in nigeria as it contains sunscreen and and will keep your skin looking nice. I currently use the Cocoa Butter Formula Firming Butter as i am in the process of loosing weight and i need my skin to be toned and firm.
    Ideally it is best to use creams for a specifice need , for instance in summer i will use the first cream to prevent too much sun on the skin, in winter to prevent dryness i use the shea butter range.

• eve

August 17, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Skin types differ

30. Janded

September 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I cannot believe people still think toning is about brightening your complexion. LOL!

31. ahuoma

September 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Vaseline is the best. You go fear. B-) skin lightning is very dangerous walahi

32. zeebaby

September 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm

lol bimboty,u are right. d interviewee is definitely a toner too. shes using something jor

33. sassycassie

September 21, 2012 at 5:13 pm

unrefined shea butter mixed with coconut and olive oil is an all natural moisturiser that does not tamper with your skin colour. it also makes your skin velvety soft

34. L.A Chick

September 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Proudly chocolate!!

35. Nok10

September 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

But unrefined shea butter and coconut oil smell funny. Olive oil is kinda sticky – ok for hair but not really cool for skin as it leaves clothes a tard greasy. Best to use 3 oils refined in a natural product.

• sassycassie

September 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

i add monoi oil and a blend of sweet smelling essential oils to enhance the smell. The trick is to whip it in a food processor so it has a light, fluffy texture.Trust me, your skin will thank you for it!

36. Idee

September 21, 2012 at 8:43 pm

It’s a thin line between toning and bleaching. Problem is some ppl don’t know when to draw the line.

37. Abby

September 22, 2012 at 12:18 am

Clear essence has hydro quinine in it as an active agent and research has it that it isn’t good. I immediately stopped using it and switched to using natural elements. I now blend avocado, juice from lemon, juice from lime, cucumber, rose water and glycerin. This mixture is incredible. It leaves my skin soo soft. My husband even said that I was glowing.

• chidi

September 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

my Dear, I live in the US and if you go to a dermatologist with skin pigmentation, they will prescribe hydroquine! however, it is not to be used indiscriminately.

• Abby

September 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I live in the US as well. Please click on this link and read it. I always go home and do my research whenever my doctor prescribes anything for me before using it. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64167

• SPF 15

September 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Please please please i want to ask, do you use just the avocado juice or u use the blended parts as welll? and how do you do the cucumber? the juice or the blended parts?

• Abby

September 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm

The final outcome should be like paste not liquid. Make sure your avocado is ripe. You can Blend a little avocado, cucumber then add a teaspoon of the liquids ( glycerin, rose water,lime juice, lemon juice) I don’t put mine in a blender, I use my little mortar & pestle instead. This is not a cream o….. Put it on your body and wait for about 15-30 mins and then rinse it off. I do this like twice every week.

38. Ibukun

September 22, 2012 at 12:25 am

I’m curious, did the study take into account that Nigeria is the most populous black nation? Did they calculate their figures on an even scale?

39. Oyin

September 22, 2012 at 2:08 am

Dark/brown is a beautiful complexion, I don’t know why you want to be pale so bad. Dark skin naturally glows, it radiates and looks supple. Colonization is a disease of the mind. If you are dark skin, accept , embrace the color you came in. Just take better care of you skin, so it can be smooth and nothing beats a flawless dark skin. What is even worse is, bleaching doesn’t look good on anybody, it makes people look like they had a terrible skin reaction, doesn’t look natural at all. I understand the toning aspect but toning is not when you go from Alex Wek complexion to Beyonce’s skin color. Toning, is simply eventone your skin, and your skin appears brighter not whiter.

40. toocute

September 22, 2012 at 2:22 am

ok…so is the chemistry graduate supposed to let us know what we dont already know ba? boys in aba could have given us a better insight into skin bleaching……..and the weak advice in the end is what we all know! dont bleach ur skin…its bad for you health! and why are they only asking bush guys about thier ‘flavour’? a lot of regular naija guys love light skinned women…thats how shallow they are…am dark skinned anyway….and i love it…Diamond black baby!!

41. NNENNE

September 22, 2012 at 4:17 am

What determines one’s beauty is the structure and not the color. A beautiful person remains a beautiful person regardless of skin color.

• Rosy

September 27, 2012 at 9:58 am

I totally concur.

42. fiesty chic

September 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

creams like the Palmers cocoa butter range are good mosturizers for the skin for chocolate skinned people. to go the extra length with them u can mix in organic shea butter. its very good on stretch marks & scars and gives u glowing skin.

43. Idowu

September 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Lets hear word jo! Cocoa butter darkens the skin because it contain vitamin E. wanting to be light-skinned has nothing to do with wanting to be an Oyibo woman. It’s a social thing. It’s no secret that Nigerian men love light-skinned women with long weaves. My social status improved when I started toning and bought started fixing human hair. Everywhere I go men turn and my phone is constantly ringing. Lets be honest we want men to want us. Nothing wrong if you want to be remain chocolate skinned with ur nappy locks, it’s ur own style so leave the chick who wants to be fair abeg. I’m not advocating full blown bleaching ooooo. Most dark skinned babes just look ashy or greasy with dark patches all over. Nothing wrong taking care of your skin. Pls if ur not chocolate skinned stay away from Cocoa butter ooooo.

• lilz

September 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

no offense o. do you do runs????cos i dont understand why u need constant attention from men and why is it a big deal if ur fone rings all the time…peoples cell ring all the time for different reasons and if yours is bcos u are “bleaching” and wearing loooong weaves then youve gat to be on the street

• bunny

September 27, 2012 at 6:56 am

my dear, vitamin e does not make skin darker, if anything it does the opposite. ur own information na wah.

• Renee

September 16, 2015 at 12:55 pm

NAPPY LOCKS. WOW….

ITS ONE THING TO BLEACH BUT AT LEAST LOVE YOUR HAIR

44. sheredii

September 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

i use QEI..I HOPE IT DOESNT BLEACH?

45. Me

September 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm

If you want a good skin, eat well (lots of fruits) and drink enough water. Most times, you don’t need the creams to have good skin.

46. Info

September 23, 2012 at 5:39 am

This topic always stirs up a lot of emotions, if you’re willing to talk about various issues or discuss bleaching openly or even if you wish to remain anonymous, please send your details to [email protected]. Thank you for your time.

47. Mssexy

September 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have read all d comments and I must say all are very insightful, I for one wl not use QEI, skin success palmers (very high on hydroqinone), cocoa butter will darken u f u live in a hot place like ghana and nigeria. having said that am fair but my skin was not even tone, my face had a diff color and my hands another, fair people needs even skin tone no matter how we look at it, skin success left me wt brown knuckles and this is a tip, if u buy a cream and it turns to brown, it has hydroquinone, take it from me!

i moved to makari for my pimples and acne which was recommended by my dermatologist and it worked cause of the positivity, i inquire more about the skin line and i got all for my skin tone as they have for diff skin tones, u need to see my skin, am glowing!

but u must strive and get the original, i get mine from d real sellers not balogun and no fake for me otherwise one wl be sitting on a long thing o!

• Chika

September 24, 2012 at 1:31 am

Anything with more than 2% hydroquinone is dangerous to your health. Your dermatologist should have told you that also. So, Palmers is within the right range recommended by doctors.

• bisisexy

January 23, 2015 at 8:40 am

Pls where can I buy the real makari from the real suppliers my no 08077405506

48. jemmi

September 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm

abeggi all dis big big grammar, bleach, tone glowing, hydroquinone, human hair blah blah blah.wateva decision u take as it concerns ur skin, pls remember tommorrow. try to imagine hw u wld feel if dey cant stitch u, after chilbirth, cos ur skin is too slim bcos of bleaching. as for me, i use johnson baby soa[p nd cream morning and night, nd trust me my skin is not only shining, it is as smooth as a baby’s butt. stop bleaching bcos of men, dey will leave u once u start lukin like willie willie

49. Dazzle

September 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

Abeg I love my dark skin, cant trade it for anything in this world, all these people suffering from low self esteem you better get help before its too late! shiorrrrr

50. justmakingsure

September 24, 2012 at 9:45 am

I use Clarins BrightPlus Range for face and body. Please does anyone know if it contains this
    Harmful chemicals? Thanks

51. tolu

September 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

pls o.. was i the only 1 that watched d video to d end?
    most of these dudes prefer ‘chocolate skin’ loool….
    abeg that girl there played a very irrelevant role. i can educate u more from my friends/ roommates experiences…
    what did she say that nobody knows?
    even soaps that dont lighten u, can have side effects on your skin.

i think what we actually need to see/hear is a dermatologist who states the advantages and disadvantages of all these things truthfully and gives professional advice, and maybe some1 that mixes all these concoctions too…

• Chide

September 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm

lol its surprising too, all the men said they prefer dark girls. it’s somehow true though cos i have male friends that don’t like fair girls.
      In my opinion, the girl in the video did a good Job, she mentioned the skin lightening paths that I would feel shy to mention, before Una accuse me. And that’s what some of u r doing. Accusing her of bleaching or toning. lol. She’s obviously naturally fair. A follow up interview with a dermatologist will further clarify the subtle points she mentioned.

52. Mma

September 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Interesting topic and responses.

53. rulz

September 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm

@ zinnia i seem to like your regimen, pls how do you go about the shea butter thing, do you melt it or something?

54. SPF 15

September 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm

please is spf 15 or sunscreen a facial cream? will it be mixed with ur cream or just apply alone on the face?

55. julit

September 25, 2012 at 8:16 am

at the end of the day, i like chokolet!

56. Purpleicious Babe

September 25, 2012 at 11:08 am

Wouldn’t it be great if BN could feature a dermatologists or someone that knows about skin care to explain the various types of skins and what is best use for each in different weathers..

I think a professional analysis will definitely clarify alot of ignorant mindset and also educate us all.

57. jgdo

September 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Yo! go girl.

58. Chide

September 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

In my opinion, the girl in the video did a good Job, she mentioned the skin lightening paths that I would feel shy to mention, before Una accuse me. And that’s what some of u r doing. Accusing her of bleaching or toning. lol. She’s obviously naturally fair and speaks well. A follow up interview with a dermatologist will further clarify the subtle points she mentioned.

59. OG

September 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The best way of toning ur body is by eating balance diet ,taking enough fruit , exercise ,relaxation and taking enough water . Cream or no cream with all dis ur body will look beautiful

60. Zahara

September 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

there is many ways for skin lightening such as lemon, banana and oily when mixed together in a form of substances.

61. Rosy

September 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

I was wondering the same thing too. Even if a small fraction of Nigerians are bleaching their skin considering the large population they may appear to be very many.

62. laila

September 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

Abegi make we hear word – all dis holier-than-thou stories against bleaching!!! Pls stop using bleaching to sell your self righteousness. Fact is, there is a large number of black women who would rather be lighter, whether one shade or 100 shades is down to personal preference and is nobody else’s business. If all of y’all moralists are so concerned, how about providing a safe skin lightening product that actually works and spare us all the mantra!!! Put your ink into researching it to make it better ‘cos guess what, its not going to stop!! Skin beautification is as old as sin, even our fore fathers (abi na mothers) used palm oil to make skin ‘glow’ so pls fuggedabout convincing girls to dudu-rize!!! Its not in our character!! I hate dull skin, I hate dark patches, I cant STAND it when my face starts darkening and my neck and arms are brighter – which happens too often in a dear girl’s lifetime!!!

Stop PREACHING and tell the ladies what will work once and for all!!!

• Idowu

September 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm

God bless you my sister! So an ghost dey buy all the bleaching creams for market abi. Nobody wants to look ashy and patchy. I’m one to a safe and reliable way to get that skin tone I’ve always wanted.

63. Motunrayo

September 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I use the shea butter body butter from Body Shop and I will swear by it. They only sell organic products and do not test their products on animals. For them to only test on human subjects then you will know that they have to be very careful with what the product contains. I have very dry skin and since I started using the body butter I have never had better skin. Please let us be very careful about what we subject ourselves to, one of my aunts recently died of cancer and the anguish was too much. If something is preventable, then only the foolish will not heed warnings. I totally love my skin color and I wouldn’t change it for all the rice in China.

64. teachme

September 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

I have gone throught all d comments & I have learned..pls can someone tell me the best product to use for sunscreen & toning,am dark chocolate,pls I don’t want the ones that contain all this harmful chemicals,thanks….

• chichiluv

December 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

my dear try n get neutrogena ulta-sheer spf 60+….its very nice n protects ur skin n face…n it’s sweat n water-proof..

65. lolly

September 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm

The stats are crap… I live in China and the only products that don’t contain bleaching/ whitening agents are the baby lotions and baby soaps. If the Chinese population is the biggest in the world and almost all creams are whitening… not to even mention India and some other places…

66. Lola

October 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Who uses or have heard of rescue oil? My sister recommended it. It’s supposed to work like bio-oil. I bought one from Garki market in Abuja. To my surprise, the oil or whatever is in the container, has two mixtures – like oil and water so that you have to shake before use.

My thinking is that oils are not supposed to act like that. Is it fake? If you buy rescue oil in the UK, please describe what the content feels/looks like. Thanks

67. Anon

October 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

* your
    And, you will be surprise what men really like. For example, look at how rappers put certain women in their videos but look at their women in real life, many don’t look like the video girls. They look like normal women. Men will lust after big butts all day, but many of their wives are average size or even on the slimmer side. I wish men will stop sending confusing message out, that makes women feel so insecure to want to be like the girls they see on TV, in videos. I’m not surprise about men like dark skin because a clear, smooth, nice , rich dark skin has this luster to it that everybody will fall in love with.

68. vicacurve

October 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

pls i need the list of this products to avoid..i am light skinned..living in nigeria it is difficult to aviod this becos if u go into a beauty shop as a light skinned girl you are automatically bombarded with this so called toning creams..claiming they will maintain my completion ..im just now learning about the dangers of these creams

69. Pingback: Dark & Oh So Lovely! | The Official Website of Toolz

70. Temitope Oluleye

October 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Bleaching is indeed very dangerous. The best thing is just to maintain and nourish the God given skin and complexion that we have. Love and pamper your natural skin complexion. It’s a precious gift.

71. Yisha

October 15, 2012 at 12:40 am

Am sure the men are saying this because they are on camera, cus in reality its the opposite, and am talking from experience, am sure 70% of Nigerian men like fairer girls, am dark and very pretty i keep getting told you are very pretty but its my light skinned friends that are also pretty but not as pretty as i am, that guys always ask out, and they take them as a trophy and are so proud to show them off once they catch one. Its mostly white guys that appreciate dark skin. Nigerian men dat don’t even know the difference btw a fair girl that bleaches and one dat doesn’t, all they know is that she is fair, but i have to say when your fair and ugly is shows more than when your are dark! and men will stay clear, so if you are dark and ugly don’t bother bleaching thinking you would look better cus u will just look like a masquerade.

72. Sugar

November 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Please I’d like to know if Patricia Reynier Merveille Intense contains any of such harmful chemicals because that’s what I use o. Whoever knows should please respond ASAP, il greatly appreciate it. Thanks

73. adah martins okoye

January 21, 2013 at 2:56 am

Trisha darl, I was toeing ur line until u said u don’t use creams at all, nne under the scorching 9ja sun?? I sooo don’t believe u, u r definitely rubbing something my dear, ur skin aint made of gold, except u r half cast like me. heck! even white pple get darker when they come to Nigeria, bottom line is ur kind of complexion looks toned, it doesn’t look natural, as fair as I am, I still use sunscreen to block uv rays ks I don’t wna have an uneven complexion, so its either ur toning, bleaching or using a sunscreen or somthing btw ur knuckles look bleached. Thank u.

74. adah martins okoye

January 21, 2013 at 2:58 am

Nevr bleach ur skin just mosturize it and look creamy, thank u.

75. Achor Glory

February 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Am using palmers cocoa butter is beautiful on my skin but it has no sunscreen, can someone tell me a good sunscreen to use cus i don’t want to look dark tanks.

76. Nky

March 21, 2013 at 4:39 am

Please am not so dark in color (more like chocolate),am not interested in toning my skin color but i want to constantly look radiant and have a glowing face. Am currently using Aveeno daily moisturising lotion bt its not effective on my face.My face looks very rough with spots and pimples, which good facial lotion can be recommended for my face that won’t tone my color? Would “JUICE BEAUTY DAILY ESSENTIALS” do the trick for me. I am trying to avoid creams with steriods and bleaching ingredients that damage the skin. Am in my twenties. Tnx.

77. ama

May 9, 2013 at 5:47 am

Excuse me there are thousands and thousand of tanning salons in the USA.fact is most whites don’t want to look pale.tanning lotions and sprays abound it currently has nothing to do with economic status. Utter bomboclaatt!!!!.there is an advert currently running here in the USA encouraging whites to love their skin as is and stop tanning because of the very high rate of occurrence of melanoma a type of skin cancer.whites love tanned skin. Blacks want lighter skin.however this does not mean Blake want to be white nor do whites want to have black African skin.

78. jiao

June 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm

hi, i know this post was made long ago but i was searching online for ways to revive ones complexion naturally and came across it. i am naturally light skinned with an even tone (i hope this grammar is correct) or at least i was evenly toned before i went for my NYSC camp at Yikpata Kwara State and came back to lagos three tones darker. please any help will be appreciated as long as its NATURAL.
    Thanks

79. jiao

June 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm

i have been reading previous comments and gotten some tips which i intend to properly research on before trying out. i know i should visit a dermatologist as they are in the best position to give the best tips (i guess) but im trying to save cost while also trying to get the best and safest methods
    Thanks

80. haleemarh

July 12, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m chocolate skinned and i’ve bin using clear difference body milk lotion which is very gud 4 mi buh wen I got adm in2 d uni i started becoming dark cos of d sun so i switched to cocoabutter which made it worse………………………………. I can i continue wit my clear difference buh using it wit a sunscreen cream or switching to anoda cream(I’m finking of switching to olay) pls i need & advice ASAP. Thankz

81. haleemarh

July 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Pls I need *an* advice ASAP

82. Blessing

October 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

I agree with Dr Olumide,but you must know that there are certain good British and asian product that can also glow a dark skin to make it more attractive,nobody wants to appear black but if you know what you are doing there certain natural cosmetics products you can apply that will polish your dark skin to make it more attractive with out side effect,most asian countries applies more bleeching products than the entire African race put together because they want to be classified as white.
    for more info on wat do use to glow your skin with no side effects,contact DARLINGS SKINCARE at least i and all my friends uses their products.2214518c num [234]07067002604

83. Ijbaby

November 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I want to start using QEI. I’m already fair but wud love to go a shade lighter and possibly achieve a certain level of glow. However I wud never bleach. I hope QEI doesn’t have HQ

84. Denise

April 18, 2014 at 2:54 am

I don’t know about Beyonce or Nikki Minaj but i live in Barbados and Rihanna was always fair. The sun stops affecting your skin once you become acclimatised as in darkening but I still use a sunscreen. However, growing up in England I found that most of us wanted to be fair not because we hated our colour but because society made it impossible for us to progress with it. Jobs, opportunities and the darkest of black men wanted white or light skinned girls. Most women who bleached saw it as a way to give themselves a chance in life.

85. Esther

June 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm

It’s a misinformation to say cocoa butter darkens the skin. I’ve had friends who see me using it and warn that it would make me darker. When I tell them I’ve been using it for years, they keep quiet in amazement and confess that what they said is what they have been told by others. Please, do not pass around wrong information or one that you have not tested for yourself. I use cocoa butter and it’s amazing. Not only is it a wonderful moisturizer, it contains vitamin E that makes your skin glow. I’ve been using it for years and I have a milk chocolate complexion. If anything. I look brighter than in old photos. I’ve also seen video blogs of white folks who recommend it as a efficient moisturizer, I don’t see any of them turning darker or promoting what is hurting their skin. Cocoa butter is nourishing for your skin and it makes your skin very supple and infuses it with a glow not even you can resist. 😀

• Big mumy

February 10, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Esther, pls which brand of the cocoa butter did u use. Do u use the soap also?

86. AfricanDiaspora

July 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm

i do enjoy Clear Essence Medicated Fade with Sunscreen Jar Cream… it does work wonders on my skin for years

87. jenna

August 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Pls I was chocolate but after using Q10 am now fair and I want my chokolate skin back pls what should I do

88. fra

September 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

Pls I need advice, I’ve been using different body lotion for a long time now and now I have decided to start using one particular body lotion.I want to switch to Nivea natural fairness body lotion. I havea milk chocolate. Complexion, I’m not dark and I’m not too fair…… Pls can I use nivea natural fairness body lotion?

89. miss jane

June 19, 2015 at 11:59 am

was so dark before till they gave me their new expressional glow cream.pls google darlings skincare and get their number or i.g page

90. TenipNaturals

June 28, 2015 at 11:45 pm

I believe all skin tones are beauty. For those that feel the need to lighten, there are natural, safe and healthy ways to do this. Natural fruits, natural soaps, natural body scrubs, oils such as rosehip and carrot oil blended with essential oils can even out the skin tone. Contact us for your natural products and blends @[email protected], 09037544965

91. Renee

September 16, 2015 at 1:14 pm

QEI does NOT contain HQ. It’s designed to repair skin and continual use will eventually lighten your skin. I will start using this product to repair my skin in October and I will follow up in December

92. Zeerah

December 3, 2015 at 11:54 am

Just having a glance at some of the “holier than thou” comments… channel your comments to the writter not readers like urself (make urself useful). When was th last time U preached salvation to a lost soul, u don’t bleach but the hidious secret Sin has got u entangled and bound up for Hell,u can’t see ( remove the log in ur eyes_ condemn not that u wouldn’t be condemned)_ Yes God created Us in his image,but that has nothing to do with out physical appearance (if not what do u have to say to the cripples? God create them so? SMH) Our soul and dedication is what reflects God’s likeness…so shame on U all for judging. How man man use cream to improve an beautify ur skin? Why not leave it as rough and dirty dark as a were born with? Some got bad skin as a result bad feeding, environment etc. So tell me me for once have u not applied a particular type of cream for the purpose of having a good-looking clear skin? B . Dark/light. All cream cream cream cream cream toning /enhancing ur skin tone,so pleas spear them. Shear butter,black soap, aleo vera,olive oil, all these has toning effects (study). State ur advice lovingly and go away,state the chemicals to avoid & sites/stores , get them g products) go for natural plants/herbs (sandalwood/avoxado/potato_they don’t bleach but beautify). dont BASH! Let God convict and do the changing.

“He who has no Sin, cast th first Stone” _that’s goes to everyone including myself.

Instagram(IG) to get good/natural products: @Donatellabodyshop
    Fabempireskincare.com
    Blackberry channel: C00322A22 (sissie naturals)
    BlackBerry channel: C0023C7B2(julidskinacre _ facebook.com/julideskinsolution
    There are lots more! Google it!!!
    From a Fellow Dark-Skinned Sister!

93. ty (typearls lifestyle)

September 15, 2016 at 12:39 am

I have a list of my favorite 10 natural products for skin lightening because in some places, other alternatives may not so be available. Natural way iis the best way to go to improve skin complexion. http://www.typearls.com.ng/2016/09/skin-toning-top-10-natural-skin.html

94. Tolulope Rachel

September 18, 2016 at 4:03 pm

My face gets darker each time I use a cream that contains vitamin E. I like using such creams because I’ve read it’s a safe way to get rid of acne scars. Can anyone please help?

95. Michael

October 18, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I used to bleach my skin before and I loved the way I looked then. My skin was flawless, but the sun was my enemy. Anytime I go out I get sunburns all over my face. If I mistakenly fall down I’ll get redness for more than one week. My face started having multiple colors and my body too. I started looking like a rainbow, then I stopped, my skin peeled and I looked horrible. Ever since I haven’t bleached my skin.. I use Revlon revitalistic aloe Vera, it’s very good for African skin.

96. Anna Cesnjevar

July 26, 2017 at 10:30 am

Pls I want a cream that will ligthen me,but not too much an give me a young glowing skin,and how much is it?